John Wolford aiming to become QB2 now with eyes on starting later

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
John Wolford aiming to become QB2 now with eyes on starting later

Barring a late signing this summer, the Los Angeles Rams will be betting on a young and inexperienced player to back up Jared Goff at quarterback in 2020. John Wolford, Bryce Perkins and Josh Love will be competing for the QB2 spot, though they’ll do so with very limited on-field work in front of Rams coaches.

Wolford has a leg-up on the other two undrafted rookies based on the fact that he was with the Rams last season, giving him a year of experience in Sean McVay’s system. He’s not taking the competition lightly, though.

While he always prepares as if he’ll be the starter, he’s currently focused on being the No. 2 quarterback now and potentially a QB1 somewhere later. He discussed his goal of being the backup quarterback this year on the Rams Revealed Podcast with J.B. Long, but he’s confident he can work toward becoming a starter at some point.

“In my mind, I have the confidence that I can play at this level, I can be a 2 and work towards being a 1. And that’s just the way I operate and I say that with humility,” he said.

This year is different for Wolford, too. Not only has the offseason been unique in the fact that everything has been remote work, but also because of the threat that the coronavirus pandemic poses on the NFL season.

Injuries will always happen in football and players will miss time as a result, but now they could be sidelined if they test positive for COVID-19. Wolford knows there’s a chance Goff could miss time if he contracts the coronavirus, so he has to be prepared to start at the drop of a hat if something does happen.

“I think any player has to realize the reality of the situation is that at any given week, if any player tests positive – and it could be Thursday or Friday – that you still need to be preparing as if you’re a starter,” he said. “Because the likelihood of that happening, of him not being able to play, is higher with COVID going around. So I like to think that I always take that approach that I’m going to prepare like I’m the starter so whenever that opportunity comes, I’m ready and it’s not going to come as a shock and I’m not going to need an extra week to prepare. That’s been my mindset since I got to the Rams. When I was on the practice squad, I tried to prep like I was the starter and hopefully that has carryover into this season. And god forbid Jared does contract it or something happens in that regard, but I’ll be ready if it does.”

Blake Bortles remains available, among others. The Rams have been unwilling to sign any of them up to this point in the offseason, and unless something goes awry with their current competition among undrafted free agents, it’s unlikely they’ll sign a veteran.

A lot is riding on Wolford to back up Goff, and he’s confident he’ll be able to rise to the occasion – whether there are preseason games or not.

“Obviously you want those reps and I wanted to prove beyond a shred of doubt that I should be the 2, so hopefully we have the two (preseason games) and I’m not going to comment anymore on that because I know that’s in negotiations and it could go down to zero. So I understand the (Players’ Association) saying from a health-risk standpoint, but you want those opporuntities to prove you can get the job done.”

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles will be back as soon as he sucks it up and agrees to a vet minimum type deal

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bortles was never an ideal backup in this offense. Rams jumped at the experience factor he brought but he is not a fast processor nor is he accurate.

He is a better backup option than Wolford but not enough that I would sweat trying to fit him in financially.

I'd go with Wolford and hope Love shows enough that I can consider keeping him around. IMO the Rams should be developing a QB on their depth chart at all times.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wolford seemed to be a fan favorite during preseason for the backup job. But I don't know how his arm strength is. Remember Austin Davis? He mighta been a decent QB if he didn't have such a weak noodle arm. If Wolford's arm strength is ok his mobility gives him an added dimension.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Wolford seemed to be a fan favorite during preseason for the backup job. But I don't know how his arm strength is. Remember Austin Davis? He mighta been a decent QB if he didn't have such a weak noodle arm. If Wolford's arm strength is ok his mobility gives him an added dimension.

He has an arm similar to Bulger. Not a cannon, but throws a tight ball with enough on it.

oldnotdead

Legend
I like Wolford over the others because of a few traits that don't show up on stats. He's a grinder, who might not have the strongest arm but he has something better, he's usually accurate even in tight windows. He's a pocket passer who understands how to go through his progressions. He's mobile enough to extend plays or get a few yards if needed. But most of all he is usually unflappable, i.e. you will rarely see him panic.

Why he wasn't drafted is simple. He doesn't fit the physical metrics of an NFL QB, he's 6'1" with average length arms and hand size. But unlike Murray or Mayfield, Wolford understands how to read defenses, something the aforementioned have yet to prove they can. Given good coaching and time, he can IMO develop into a decent backup level QB. I think Bortles made a mistake in not re-signing. Bortles has the physical tools but I question his mental toughness. He doesn't have that grinder mentality to strive to improve his game.

Until they sign someone better I have no problem with Wolford as a backup on this team. With the talent on the Rams, if he ever has to play, he simply needs to not lose the game and not be concerned about "carrying" the team. As it stands this offense would seem to be a good fit for Wolford.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Weight and repetition....:rolleyes:

And it doesn’t need to be heavy weight.

It would likely only be marginal.

Link below does a walk thru of QB attainable skills, versus inherent.

They make a good case that fluidity, arm talent, and release to be inherent. All critical to arm strength.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd go with Perkins. I like Wolford and Love, but Perkins brings elite athleticism to the table. The throwing motion does concern me, but he basically carried Virginia, and he has more upside than Wolford or Love.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd go with Perkins. I like Wolford and Love, but Perkins brings elite athleticism to the table. The throwing motion does concern me, but he basically carried Virginia, and he has more upside than Wolford or Love.

I like Perkins too and with the extended rosters maybe teams will carry 3 QB's, however, I don't think he's ready to be number 2, but one year of seasoning, maybe next year.

oldnotdead

Legend
Arm strength can be improved significantly with improvement in his mechanics and with proper strength training. The classic example of this is Drew Brees as a rookie. He struggled early in his career until he took Doug Flutie's suggestion and began to train outside of the Charger organization at a private center in Carlsbad, CA the same one used by many rookies today. They tweaked his mechanics and gave him mental exercises to improve his ability to make presnap reads. They also gave him specific training to improve his arm strength and no one since then has ever thought of Brees' arm as marginal although some scouts said as much pre-draft. What AJ Smith the Charger GM at the time understood is that there is only so much you can do to improve a QB's accuracy but pretty much everything else can be improved. It was why he drafted both Brees and Rivers because of their accuracy with their throws. IMO Smith was on target in that regard.

Cam Newton has only completed more than 60% of his passes in only 3 years over his 9-year career. His highest completion percentage was one year which was 67.9. Over the last 2 years, he's thrown at least 88 bad passes which equates to about 16% of his passes the last two years.

That's why I basically project Josh Allen's career stats to be similar to other strong-armed QBs with accuracy issues. In two years he has yet to break 60% completions. When a QB makes 166 bad throws in two years you have a problem. A rocket arm means nothing if you can't hit the receiver.

Bottom line is that Wolford with proper training and coaching can make all the throws in this offense with pretty good accuracy with decent protection. That's all you need in a backup.