Joe Hortiz stays w/ Ravens turn downs the Rams front office gig

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Still haven't heard of any other candidates to replace Director of Pro Personnel Ran Carthon. They need to nail this hire!!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Crabcakes? Thats all I got.

Their crab is outstanding...Been to Baltimore quite often for some odd reason (Notre Dame has played Navy their several times) and always picked up this shirt for my daughter!
USandA_newCrabby-Baltimore.jpg

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
When you have a job, everyone else wants to hire you.....when you don't have a job, no one will

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Baltimore's drafts are up and down. Who was the last really impractical defender they drafted? Suggs? They have been riding the wave of the Rey Lewis/Ed Reed picks for years now. Those picks are very far in the distance.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Baltimore's drafts are up and down. Who was the last really impractical defender they drafted? Suggs? They have been riding the wave of the Rey Lewis/Ed Reed picks for years now. Those picks are very far in the distance.

while agree in that the Ravens' FO seems to get more love than they should, you are forgetting guys like ngata, mcphee, mosley, jimmy smith, webb

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
while agree in that the Ravens' FO seems to get more love than they should, you are forgetting guys like ngata, mcphee, mosley, jimmy smith, webb

Nah, I just don't consider them great. Most teams have a few very good players on their roster over the years. It isn't rocket science to find good players. The key is to find enough of them to be in the playoffs consistently, and actually be a threat to make it all the way (unlike Cincinnati).

I really can't think of any GMs that I would consider great. Even Ted Thompson has bad drafts. He may be the most highly regarded. And, even Jerry Jones can make good picks among his bad ones. A few years ago we were praising Schneider in Seattle for his expert drafting. He hasn't done much since. Maybe Ozzie deserves credit for coming up with good players more often than not. Mostly they are defenders, though. Where are the great offensive picks? Why, if he is so good, can't he put a great offense on the field?

The one guy who seems to have gotten better at the draft and pro personnel side of football is Belichick. He consistently finds the right pieces for his team, in the draft and free agency. He has even improved on his ability to find receivers. If I crowned anyone as the best drafted right now it is probably him. He looks for players that fit his system. One draft may have only twenty players he likes for his system. It works.

Incidentally I think that is how Snead drafted this year. They located 'their' guys and picked them where they valued them. It is probably why I like it so much. Their draft had conviction whether it works out or not.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Their owners are really good people. It's a great place to work.

I have read that about Steve Biscotti and of course Ozzie Newsome, however, the fact that Eric DeCosta and now Joe Horowitz will stay on when they had an opportunity to make more money (most likely) and have more responsibility as well? It's rare to have that type of loyalty throughout the organization, if you ask me Counselor starting to sound like a rendition of "The Firm."

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A lot more stability and a lot more success.

True, but other organizations (Patriots) have had more stability and greater success, but they've had executives leave for better opportunities, I am just somewhat perplexed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have read that about Steve Biscotti and of course Ozzie Newsome, however, the fact that Eric DeCosta and now Joe Horowitz will stay on when they had an opportunity to make more money (most likely) and have more responsibility as well? It's rare to have that type of loyalty throughout the organization, if you ask me Counselor starting to sound like a rendition of "The Firm."

I'm sure they make plenty of money. Why leave if you're happy there?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have thought for a while that KC has the best front office when it comes to acquiring talent

Green Bay has always impressed me, and Reggie McKenzie (former GB FO employee) has done a hell of a job in Oakland.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I was in Baltimore last week and sampled several crab cakes but the best I ever had was in DC. Frankly, Baltimore isn't a great place to be. I live in the Ozarks but travel every week for work (in Seattle this week), and Baltimore was one of my least favorite stops.

With that said, I too would've wanted Hortiz for the position