Joe Barksdale Blog

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good recent blog piece by Joe.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
First Blog Post of 2014

Published on January 3, 2014, by Joseph Barksdale

This is my first blog post of the year, and my last blog post before I turn 25. I tried to get this post done before the New Year started but it didn’t workout due to my traveling from Missouri to Michigan. So I guess I should take this time to wish everyone a happy New Year as well (and good luck keeping up with those resolutions). So as you may know, the regular NFL season is officially over and the playoffs are about to begin. Sadly we didn’t make the playoffs this year, but the good news is that we get a brand new shot next season. Regardless of how our season ended record wise, I feel like we developed and grew as a team in the second half of the season and kind of began to find an identity and prove that we can compete week in and week out with anyone in the NFL and I’m really excited about the bright future ahead of us.

On a personal note, last year was a big year for me. I made a lot of new friends and lost a good one as well, I started a foundation, proposed, and did a LOT of community service. I also took some big strides in my career as a football player, I ended the previous season not even dressing during the latter part of the season, and I ended this season as a starter. I definitely have a lot to be thankful for looking back on 2013. If I’ve learned anything from the past year it’s been to appreciate perseverance. Perseverance is the only reason that I am where I am today, and the only reason that I made it out of 2013 successfully. Sometimes life throws curveballs at you and things happen that are hard to accept and understand and quitting always seems like the best possible choice, but no one that ever accomplished anything quit. In short 2013 wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows, but I persevered, and set the foundation for a bright future for myself as a result.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
First Blog Post of 2014

Published on January 3, 2014, by Joseph Barksdale

This is my first blog post of the year, and my last blog post before I turn 25. I tried to get this post done before the New Year started but it didn’t workout due to my traveling from Missouri to Michigan. So I guess I should take this time to wish everyone a happy New Year as well (and good luck keeping up with those resolutions). So as you may know, the regular NFL season is officially over and the playoffs are about to begin. Sadly we didn’t make the playoffs this year, but the good news is that we get a brand new shot next season. Regardless of how our season ended record wise, I feel like we developed and grew as a team in the second half of the season and kind of began to find an identity and prove that we can compete week in and week out with anyone in the NFL and I’m really excited about the bright future ahead of us.

On a personal note, last year was a big year for me. I made a lot of new friends and lost a good one as well, I started a foundation, proposed, and did a LOT of community service. I also took some big strides in my career as a football player, I ended the previous season not even dressing during the latter part of the season, and I ended this season as a starter. I definitely have a lot to be thankful for looking back on 2013. If I’ve learned anything from the past year it’s been to appreciate perseverance. Perseverance is the only reason that I am where I am today, and the only reason that I made it out of 2013 successfully. Sometimes life throws curveballs at you and things happen that are hard to accept and understand and quitting always seems like the best possible choice, but no one that ever accomplished anything quit. In short 2013 wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows, but I persevered, and set the foundation for a bright future for myself as a result.

Liking Barks more and more.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How I Plan to Spend My Offseason
Published on January 18, 2014, by Joseph Barksdale - Posted in Football0

So as I said in the last blog, my season is over. It’s so hard for me to keep in touch with football right now because my team isn’t playing anymore, but that’s neither here nor there. Now that the off-season has started its time for me to get over it and get on with my life. Every player in the NFL has a different off-season experience. Some turn it into a 24/7 party, some go back to school, some get involved in the community, some go on missions trips, some take exotic vacations, some like to spend the time with family, etc. the possibilities are literally endless. I have decided to spend my offseason learning to play the guitar, growing and developing my foundation, spending time with my dogs (Mose and Storm), planning my wedding with my fiancé, spending time with family, setting myself up to be able to start MBA school this time next year, and possibly getting back into doing movie reviews among other things ( I kind of want to do tech reviews too). I didn’t make any new years resolutions this year but I do know that I want to end the year as a better overall person than I was at the beginning of the year and I feel that the things that I have set myself up to do this offseason will put me on track to accomplish that goal.

Like I said before the season is over so I wont have any “in season” activity to blog about, so I have decided to make updates about how my off season is going. I plan to focus more on my life and giving a more in depth view of it and to kind of give my own personal story of what goes on in my offseason to give a better perspective of how off seasons are spent. I don’t want this to turn into a diary lol, just more of an insightful look into what’s happening during this down time. Thanks for checking me out. Peace

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I will say that it’s pretty disheartening to hear fans jeering the players that they came to see, when they are losing. It’s easy to be in someone’s corner when everything is going good, but you truly gain appreciation for the people that are there for you when the chips are down. As I said before a lot of people claim to but have no idea about how difficult it is to be a professional athlete in the first place and it really sucks to hear fans with Rams jerseys on talking trash to Rams players from the stands. That is the true definition of kicking someone while they are down. As a team we are being attacked by certain fans, media, etc., and its time for us to circle the wagons. Time for us to look at each other and realize that at the end of the day, win or lose, we are all that we have and come to the conclusion that we have to trust each other and come back to work to improve and get out of this slump.
I never read this before. People that were disturbed about what he wrote really just need to consider two things.

First, he did just come out and say what was on his mind, whether you agree with it or not, which isn't something that every athlete does. So you got to see his honest perspective, and that's saying something.

Second, if you only read the first part you take what was said out of context. I was at that game and I booed as well, though not at any particular player. So I'm not innocent, and I don't think he was necessarily criticizing the fans' perspective as giving his own. But at the end of the day, how they reacted to the diversity was exactly how they should have reacted. Look to each other. Trust each other. Improve.

So I congratulate the coaches and players both for not giving up on the season as with years past and instead turning it into a positive situation. I agree that the real way to judge a person is to look at how they handle adversity, so in that light I like what I see from this team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Updates (feat. The Superbowl and Black History Month)

Published on February 4, 2014, by Joseph Barksdale

So it’s been a few weeks since my last blog post and I have been pretty busy. I’ve started taking yoga classes 3 times a week to aid in recovery and to increase flexibility and strength in small concentrated muscle groups as well as balance and I feel that its making quite a difference and will pay off for me next season. I’ve also been spending Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons at a local elementary school helping tutor and mentor kids and so far its been amazing. I also have been doing a lot of work with my foundation to plan events for when it stops snowing and things are definitely going well with that (www.uplift72.org). I’ve also been taking guitar lessons once a week and that’s pretty challenging, but fun as well. I’m also making sure that I have all my ducks in a row to be able to start grad school at the LSU Business College this time next year. I’ve also been planning a wedding, which is pretty exciting. I want to do a review or two of some movies, but January is always a terrible month for cinema. Besides that stuff I’ve been having random misadventures with friends and of course working out, rehabbing, and getting better at something everyday.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock you saw the Denver Broncos lose to the Seattle Seahawks (to put it nicely). Everyone was asking me who I wanted to win leading up to the game and my response was “no one, we should be in the Superbowl” and that is truly how I felt. Secretly I wanted Seattle to win because it makes the conference look good and our division look even better. Especially considering that just a few years ago the Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, and 49ers were members of the so-called weakest division in football. I think that its pretty cool that a team that you play twice a year won the Superbowl because it shows how close the other teams in that conference are to getting there.

Last but not least, everyone knows that February is Black History Month. Different people feel different ways about this month. Some people I know feel that black history should be celebrated longer than just a month; others feel that black history month has come a long way from where it started after its inception. The beauty of living in America is that we are all free to celebrate black history whenever and however we feel like doing it regardless of differing opinions. Personally I celebrate black history and achievement year round; however, I also have a special appreciation for black history month (one reason being that the “father of black history month” Carter G. Woodson is a member of my fraternity Omega Psi Phi). That being said, this year ill be randomly making social media posts about people, organizations, etc in black history that were/are influential to me as a black man in America. Thanks for reading. Peace.

http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=278

tonyl711

Starter
seems like a pretty humble guy who has his priorities straight, gotta like his attitude. hopefully he builds on last years play and takes it up a notch, im hoping he makes the Rams have to worry about resigning him after next season.