Joe Barksdale Blog

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
When Your Number is Called

This last loss was a hard one for the entire team. While it’s not the end of the world because we lost a game, I felt that we played very well as a team and got better on Sunday against a team that was a play away from going to the super bowl last year. That being said, this past game was a particularly exciting one for yours truly because I ended up playing most of it. Our starting right tackle went down in the middle of the 2nd quarter and before I knew it, I was on the field! It’s a real adrenaline rush to go from cheering on your team to jogging on the field making sure you’re lined up correctly, listening to the play in the huddle and then communicating your assignments with the other 4 offensive lineman at the line of scrimmage while the fans scream so loud that you can barely hear the person standing less than a yard away from you all within the confines of a 40 second play clock. The life of a swing tackle in the NFL is not an easy one…

Someone asked me to expound on what its like being a swing tackle in the NFL and so I will do just that. Let me start off by saying that the hardest thing to do in the NFL is be a backup, simply because you don’t get the reps. What I mean by that is during the preparation week in practice, all of the game plan reps go to the starters, because they will be the ones executing the game plan. Lets say that there are 200 or so plays ran during a week of practice, the starter would get 195 of those reps leaving the backup with only 5. Things get even more interesting when you are a swing payer because you are expected to be efficient at, not one, but 2 positions with only 5 or so reps out of 195 and be able to go into a game at any given time and not miss a beat. Now of course you are still involved in all of the game plan meetings so you know the game plan and plays that are going to be run, you just have to take “mental reps” during practice by watching the ones and going through your assignment progressions in your mind to make sure that you understand everything that is happening. Like I said before its not easy, but such is life in the NFL. While everyone aspires to be a starter in the NFL and go on to be a special player in their own right, for most guys being a backup is the beginning of that journey that will lead to their future success. I know that God has a plan for my future and I show up to work everyday thankful for the opportunity to play in the NFL and take advantage of every opportunity to improve at something so that I will be ready when my number is called.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to contact me via twitter (@bazookajoe72) or facebook (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/jbdale78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.facebook.com/jbdale78</a>), or feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks for checking out the blog. Peace.

<a class="postlink" href="http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=242</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ADVERSITY

It has always been my theory that you cannot tell the true character of a man by how he handles success, but rather how he handles failure. Think about it, who would you have respect for? A successful person that has had all the advantages in life and has never struggled? Or someone that has grinded from the bottom to make it to the top dealing with various trials and tribulations along the way? I don’t know about you but I’d have more respect for the second person.

It’s no secret that with a 1-3 record our team is facing adversity. While we did win the first game we are on a 3 game losing streak and trust me when I say that no one is happy about it. No one likes losing and its not good times for anyone when a loss occurs. I will say that [hilite]it’s pretty disheartening to hear fans jeering the players that they came to see, when they are losing. It’s easy to be in someone’s corner when everything is going good, but you truly gain appreciation for the people that are there for you when the chips are down.[/hilite] As I said before a lot of people claim to but have no idea about how difficult it is to be a professional athlete in the first place and it really sucks to hear fans with Rams jerseys on talking trash to Rams players from the stands. That is the true definition of kicking someone while they are down. As a team we are being attacked by certain fans, media, etc., and its time for us to circle the wagons. Time for us to look at each other and realize that at the end of the day, win or lose, we are all that we have and come to the conclusion that we have to trust each other and come back to work to improve and get out of this slump.

There are 16 games in an NFL season and we are only on game 5. I have seen teams start undefeated and not make the play offs, I have also seen teams start off with similar records to ours and go on to make the playoffs. Long story short, there is a LOT of football left to play and we have not hit the panic button as a team and know that when we do come out of this slump we will be thankful for this adversity that will eventually make us stronger as a team. In the words of Malcolm X “There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” We will get this thing back on track and life will be good for everyone when we do.

Thanks for checking me out and as usual feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns. Also let me know if you are interested in doing a guest blog (related to football, philanthropy, or fitness) via Twitter (@bazookajoe72), Facebook (Joseph Barksdale), or email (josephbarksdale72@gmail.com). Peace.

<a class="postlink" href="http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=247</a>

…..

Legend
When I shook Joe's hand on the cruise ship ealier ths year, I never would have guessed he'd still be on the team. When he told me he played tackle, it seemed I was'nt looking up to him and I'm only 5'10, so I left the brief conversation thinking how small he was ...but now that i think back, I was actually above him on some steps. I also remember thinking that he was too well spoken to be a lineman in the NFL ( I know, lame thought)

He and his newlywed were chosen at random from the crowd to take place in the "Marriage Game" in the Showplace Auditorium. If you've ever been on a cruise, then you're familiar with the game and how much fun it is. While he was on stage I didnt realize I was watching a Ram so I didnt have any idea who he was, but he came off very well spoken and intelligent. He and his wife actually won the game, but I missed the introductions cause my thirsty azz was off to get another beer. Had I had more time to think, I would have figured out who he was and asked to have a chat with him, cause he seems like the kinda guy who wouldnt mind doing that.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
ADVERSITY

It has always been my theory that you cannot tell the true character of a man by how he handles success, but rather how he handles failure. Think about it, who would you have respect for? A successful person that has had all the advantages in life and has never struggled? Or someone that has grinded from the bottom to make it to the top dealing with various trials and tribulations along the way? I don’t know about you but I’d have more respect for the second person.

It’s no secret that with a 1-3 record our team is facing adversity. While we did win the first game we are on a 3 game losing streak and trust me when I say that no one is happy about it. No one likes losing and its not good times for anyone when a loss occurs. I will say that [hilite]it’s pretty disheartening to hear fans jeering the players that they came to see, when they are losing. It’s easy to be in someone’s corner when everything is going good, but you truly gain appreciation for the people that are there for you when the chips are down.[/hilite] As I said before a lot of people claim to but have no idea about how difficult it is to be a professional athlete in the first place and it really sucks to hear fans with Rams jerseys on talking trash to Rams players from the stands. That is the true definition of kicking someone while they are down. As a team we are being attacked by certain fans, media, etc., and its time for us to circle the wagons. Time for us to look at each other and realize that at the end of the day, win or lose, we are all that we have and come to the conclusion that we have to trust each other and come back to work to improve and get out of this slump.

There are 16 games in an NFL season and we are only on game 5. I have seen teams start undefeated and not make the play offs, I have also seen teams start off with similar records to ours and go on to make the playoffs. Long story short, there is a LOT of football left to play and we have not hit the panic button as a team and know that when we do come out of this slump we will be thankful for this adversity that will eventually make us stronger as a team. In the words of Malcolm X “There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” We will get this thing back on track and life will be good for everyone when we do.

Thanks for checking me out and as usual feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns. Also let me know if you are interested in doing a guest blog (related to football, philanthropy, or fitness) via Twitter (@bazookajoe72), Facebook (Joseph Barksdale), or email (josephbarksdale72@gmail.com). Peace.

<a class="postlink" href="http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=247</a>
I just want to briefly address the hi-lited part. I can understand that if you were an athlete and if fans start jeering, it's pretty hard to continue to find the will to play with the highest level of intensity. But the team appeared to completely give up. I don't blame the fans for booing if the team doesn't even seem like the care, the coaches continue to make the same mistakes that everyone can notice and there seems no improvement in sight.

And this isn't Barksdale's fault, but this team has been bad for many consecutive years. I was also very upset watching the 49er game, in part, because it felt like our hope that we have been gaining to finally turn around this 7 year train wreck was squashed. It was pretty upsetting to say the least. I now wish this team can look at themselves and try to pull out a better season and get this thing righted for next year.

I will never stop being a Rams fan, I will never stop bleeding gold and blue, but Thursday was a very hard test

TexRamFan

Rookie
Does anyone else find it odd he said that he thought they played well as a team? Maybe odd is the wrong word, but by no means do I think they played well as a team. I think it was the exact opposite.

I respect the fact Barksdale is taking the time to write on a blog and he seems like a great young kid. However, I would have to disagree with his comments about the fans booing the players.

Now, if the fans were using cursing, using foul language, verbally abusing family, etc. Then yes, I find that wrong. But for someone like myself and my family who has had multiple PSL's since the Rams have moved here, spent thousands over the last few years only to see a handful of wins and then watch this hot mess we saw on Thursday night, I think we have the right to show the players our dissatisfaction. Especially when there appears to be little effort involved.

Barksdale has not had to endure year after year of losing like the fans. It might be a little unfair he just joined the team and has to hear it from fans who have been through this "rebuild", but that is the life of a professional athlete.

fearsomefour

Legend
TexRamFan said:
Does anyone else find it odd he said that he thought they played well as a team? Maybe odd is the wrong word, but by no means do I think they played well as a team. I think it was the exact opposite.

I respect the fact Barksdale is taking the time to write on a blog and he seems like a great young kid. However, I would have to disagree with his comments about the fans booing the players.

Now, if the fans were using cursing, using foul language, verbally abusing family, etc. Then yes, I find that wrong. But for someone like myself and my family who has had multiple PSL's since the Rams have moved here, spent thousands over the last few years only to see a handful of wins and then watch this hot mess we saw on Thursday night, I think we have the right to show the players our dissatisfaction. Especially when there appears to be little effort involved.

Barksdale has not had to endure year after year of losing like the fans. It might be a little unfair he just joined the team and has to hear it from fans who have been through this "rebuild", but that is the life of a professional athlete.

Yes him saying they played well as a team is delusional.

Him commenting on fans booing is the same issue most pros have with fans. They know they pay their salary, directly or indirectly. But, they also know they are getting booed by people who cannot do what they do. It is no different with anything....a mechanic getting yelled at by someone who cant fix a car, a guy who worked 3 years on a movie being told it sucks on twitter by someone who doesnt know the first thing about writing or filming....the difference here is the feedback in immediate and direct.

Fans have a right to boo if they dont like the product on the field. No right to be offensive, throw things ect. But boo? Certainly. Joe misses the point. It isent that fans have given up on the team or turned their back its that they care and they want the team to win. Many fans scrimp and save to buy tickets to one to two games a year. Most fans understand losses if the Rams are playing a good team or if it is a tough fought game. Seeing a team that is totally umprepared and then folded in the second half like a $5 suitcase, thats another matter. If we performed they way the team has the last couple of weeks at our jobs we would be fired....doesnt matter if that is as a vet, a delivery driver or a cook.

A friend of mine was a high first round draft pick some years back in MLB. He was a "cant miss" guy....except that he missed. He made the majors but racked the sum total of 13 or so wins in 6 years as a starting pitcher. There were injuries, being misused ect that factored in. He told me a story of walking out of a stadium heading to the team bus and there was a guy in a jersey from his team who called his name, the guy said "Your a bust man, your 1-6 this year, if I had your talent I wouldnt be wasting it." Here is some middle aged overweight dude getting confrontational about something he could never do in 100 years. A bust how? He made it to the highest level, made more money than this guy ever would (more than likely) and was liked and respected by his teammates. He just had to bite his tongue and get on the bus. To the idiot making the comment he looked like a bust. But, he had worked very hard to get there, had had 5 or 6 surgeries, was playing with pain and bone chips floating around and was doing his damned best.

I like Barksdales' game and if he can smooth out the issues with speed rushers he may be our RT of the future, but, dont tell me not to boo when the team is stinking it up and I wont assume I can do what you do....deal Joe?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
A professional sports team is a commodity it is a product marketed and intended to create revenue through it's perceived value. If it is unsuccessful it's value is deemed as low by the consumer. In football that is expressed sometimes by Boo's prior to the complete lack of financial support such as buying tickets to games and purchasing merchandise.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
ADVERSITY

I will say that [hilite]it’s pretty disheartening to hear fans jeering the players that they came to see, when they are losing. It’s easy to be in someone’s corner when everything is going good, but you truly gain appreciation for the people that are there for you when the chips are down.[/hilite]

This really P's me off. I've been a fan way longer than this kid has been alive. I've tolerated all sorts of stupid losses and down seasons.... and unbelievable heartbreak. This is the first time in all those years that I'm mad at this organization and seriously questioning the front office, it's decision making and it's public rhetoric. From what I am seeing, they absolutely deserve the scrutiny, because it looks to me like serious miscalculations were made while also putting on the face of total arrogance. Nothing P's me off more than failing to admit ones own mistakes.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I agree stranger, I understand where Joe is coming from he is only attempting to implement a scheme that he has been taught, however he needs to understand our frustration as well. I am more fed up with the lack of accountability and sidestepping of the issues.
Everyone is so dam political anymore, it is easier to deal with underachieving or even less talented kids than it is to deal with mealy mouthed coaches.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Stranger said:
X said:
ADVERSITY

I will say that [hilite]it’s pretty disheartening to hear fans jeering the players that they came to see, when they are losing. It’s easy to be in someone’s corner when everything is going good, but you truly gain appreciation for the people that are there for you when the chips are down.[/hilite]

This really P's me off. I've been a fan way longer than this kid has been alive. I've tolerated all sorts of stupid losses and down seasons.... and unbelievable heartbreak. This is the first time in all those years that I'm mad at this organization and seriously questioning the front office, it's decision making and it's public rhetoric. From what I am seeing, they absolutely deserve the scrutiny, because it looks to me like serious miscalculations were made while also putting on the face of total arrogance. Nothing P's me off more than failing to admit ones own mistakes.
Well, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

His sentiments are spot-on and he's being absolutely poignant. Nobody quit on this team. Nobody spit in any fan's face, and nobody is cashing it in. These are all misconceptions generated by pissed off fans who have 1/10000th of the insight into what goes on before the games, during the games and after the games. It's too fucking easy for fans to jeer players when things aren't going well, but they simply have no inclination as to WHAT is going wrong or WHY it's going wrong. We're all novices for the most part.

All he's saying is that encouragement is harder to dole out than "YOU FUCKING SUCK!'s"

And, IMO, he's 100% correct.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Stranger said:
X said:
ADVERSITY

Honestly you have become the very person just two weeks ago you were yelling at

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Rabid Ram said:
Stranger said:
X said:
ADVERSITY

Honestly you have become the very person just two weeks ago you were yelling at
no, those people were making ridiculous statements, like trade Bradford, during the 1qtr of a game (against Atlanta).

you will never hear me blast this team, especially players, during a game. never.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Stranger said:
X said:
ADVERSITY

His sentiments are spot-on and he's being absolutely poignant. Nobody quit on this team. Nobody spit in any fan's face, and nobody is cashing it in. These are all misconceptions generated by pissed off fans who have 1/10000th of the insight into what goes on before the games, during the games and after the games. It's too fucking easy for fans to jeer players when things aren't going well, but they simply have no inclination as to WHAT is going wrong or WHY it's going wrong. We're all novices for the most part.

All he's saying is that encouragement is harder to dole out than "YOU FUCKING SUCK!'s"

i love the players on this team, and i actually feel very sorry for them right now, especially SB8.

I don't think there is a single player who has quite on this team. Quite frankly I am surprised just how much fight they still have given the position they've been put in.

My problem is not with them (the players), it is with management who has apparently deceived them (the players) and us (the fans).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Stranger said:
My problem is not with them (the players), it is with management who has apparently deceived them (the players) and us (the fans).
Deceived? C'mon.

That would signify intent to deceive and I don't buy that for one nanosecond. How about this instead? They miscalculated on some things and now have to find a way to get on the right track.

sent via Tapatalk.

fearsomefour

Legend
X said:
Stranger said:
X said:
ADVERSITY

His sentiments are spot-on and he's being absolutely poignant. Nobody quit on this team. Nobody spit in any fan's face, and nobody is cashing it in. These are all misconceptions generated by pissed off fans who have 1/10000th of the insight into what goes on before the games, during the games and after the games. It's too freaking easy for fans to jeer players when things aren't going well, but they simply have no inclination as to WHAT is going wrong or WHY it's going wrong. We're all novices for the most part.

All he's saying is that encouragement is harder to dole out than "YOU freaking SUCK!'s"

I agree.
Kind of the point I was trying to make with my post regarding my friend who was the MLB pitcher.
That said, I dont need to fully grasp the issues going on in a kitchen to know that the steak I ordered sucks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
That said, I dont need to fully grasp the issues going on in a kitchen to know that the steak I ordered sucks.
Also true.

sent via Tapatalk.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've been following Barksdale since he got here, he is a stand up guy. He is an intellect, and Ive enjoyed reading his blogs for quite some time now. I tend to root for the underdog, and I feel like he has the ability to be the show dog and be a great contributor.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mind Over Matter

My strength and conditioning coach at LSU, Tommy Moffitt, is notorious for his motivational quotes, but one in particular that I remember is “Mind over matter! If you don’t mind, then it doesn’t matter!” I didn’t realize how powerful that quote was at the time, but the more that I heard it the more that I respected it and realized how true it is. The fact is that the result of a lot that you do in life can be predetermined by the kind of attitude that you have going into it. Having a bad attitude usually results in failure whereas a positive attitude results in success. You often hear people giving “believe you can achieve and you will” speeches, especially to young athletes, and that’s because it’s true. I am a firm believer in the statement “you can do anything if you put your mind to it”. If you were to go to my old neighborhood or ask anyone that grew up with me they would tell you that I’m the last person that they would’ve expected to be an NFL starter. I didn’t start playing ball until I was 14 and my first time stepping onto the field I didn’t even know a single position (not even quarterback). My road to the NFL wasn’t perfect and had its bumps and bruises, but I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to show what I could do on this level and I’m thankful for that alone, but I would’ve never had that opportunity without having the right mindset.

Before I forget…For those who don’t know, the St. Louis Rams recently lost their starting quarterback for the season this past Sunday to a knee injury. While I have never suffered a season ending injury, or for that matter a drastic injury that has caused me to miss extensive amounts of time, I have been injured before and I can tell you rom experience that its not fun. When playing a sport like football, the reality is that there is a 100% injury rate; the only variables are the severity of the injury. You’d have a very difficult time trying to find a player in the NFL that hasn’t at least strained a muscle or tweaked a joint at some point in their career. Injuries are a sad reality in the game that we play and its never fun to see anyone get hurt, and when it does happen we pray for that player to make a speedy recovery. The job is difficult enough when you are healthy. Going into this game against Seattle no one thinks that we can win and no one is giving us a chance (especially with suffering the recent loss that we did) but we don’t mind, so it doesn’t matter… Thanks for checking out the blog. Peace

http://josephbarksdale72.com/blog/?p=256