Joe Barksdale and Brandon Washington?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just curious on other Rams fans thoughts/opinions on OT Joe Barksdale and OG Brandon Washington. Both these players seemed to have very good college careers and were pretty highly rated in their respective Drafts. Although, they didn't have overwhelming success with the teams that drafted them do you think they can prove to be valuable players for the Rams and become assets to the Rams offensive line?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ehh backups. If they stay, it's obvious the coaches know they can be good backups.

If not...oh well. Nature of the beast.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Barksdale did a nice job filling in. Solid backup. I'm not sure about Washington. havent seen enough of him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Some players never make it, some make it easily, and some still just take a little while to make it in the NFL. It could be strength, it could be coaching, it could be adjusting to talent, and it could be mental. I wouldn't count these guys out yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Don't forget about Ty Nsekhe. Coaching staff is very high on that young man.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Don't forget about Ty Nsekhe. Coaching staff is very high on that young man.

I realize he is playing against lower competition in that Video but he really looks like a Beast! He looks like he moves really well (Look out Kendricks and Cook!) and looks like he has an attitude (Blocking those Defensive Players over the fence like Michael Oher did in the movie THE BLIND SIDE)! and, he is BIG! I hope he makes the final roster!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
paceram said:
Just curious on other Rams fans thoughts/opinions on OT Joe Barksdale and OG Brandon Washington. Both these players seemed to have very good college careers and were pretty highly rated in their respective Drafts. Although, they didn't have overwhelming success with the teams that drafted them do you think they can prove to be valuable players for the Rams and become assets to the Rams offensive line?

The NFL is filled with guys on the oline that take a while to emerge from the later rounds of the draft. I think these two (plus Nsekhe as X points out) have some promise... which is awesome because at some point you need them.

If I had to give the nod to one of these guys to stick and emerge; Barksdale. He looked good and is a work in progress.

Good topic, pace.

paceram

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
paceram said:

The NFL is filled with guys on the oline that take a while to emerge from the later rounds of the draft. I think these two (plus Nsekhe as X points out) have some promise... which is awesome because at some point you need them.

If I had to give the nod to one of these guys to stick and emerge; Barksdale. He looked good and is a work in progress.

Good topic, pace.

Thanks! After the signing of Jake Long and reading up on some of the Rams reserved offensive linemen (Barksdale, Watkins, Washington, Nsekhe, etc) I feel better about the Rams offensive line but I was disappointed to read that apparently Robert Turner just agreed to terms with the Titans.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
paceram said:
CGI_Ram said:
paceram said:

Good topic, pace.

Thanks! After the signing of Jake Long and reading up on some of the Rams reserved offensive linemen (Barksdale, Watkins, Washington, Nsekhe, etc) I feel better about the Rams offensive line but I was disappointed to read that apparently Robert Turner just agreed to terms with the Titans.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a healthy line for a change? I mean, we are due!

I'd prefer to not have to tap into these guys. Let 'em ride the bench and get some seasoning.

RE: Turner... I like his ability to move around, but the offensive line got A WHOLE LET BETTER when Wells took over at center. I'm not saying Turner is over-rated, but I'm not losing any sleep tonight.

paceram

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
paceram said:
CGI_Ram said:
paceram said:

Good topic, pace.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a healthy line for a change? I mean, we are due!

I'd prefer to not have to tap into these guys. Let 'em ride the bench and get some seasoning.

RE: Turner... I like his ability to move around, but the offensive line got A WHOLE LET BETTER when Wells took over at center. I'm not saying Turner is over-rated, but I'm not losing any sleep tonight.

Good Point! But, I am wondering who (Tim Barnes, Jonathan Cooper, etc) will backup Wells now that Turner has left.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Just backups.
I mean if the coaches thought either could be good starters why did the spend the money on Long.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yamahopper said:
Just backups.
I mean if the coaches thought either could be good starters why did the spend the money on Long.

No doubt just back-ups... this year... but perhaps you're right. Perhaps also, they're just "not ready".

Could we be looking at Saffold's replacement next year from this bunch?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
Yamahopper said:
Just backups.

No doubt just back-ups... this year... but perhaps you're right. Perhaps also, they're just "not ready".

Could we be looking at Saffold's replacement next year from this bunch?

Lets hope so but have my doubts.
2 years for these guys with coach Boo the're going to be as good as they will ever be.

…..

Legend
When I was on my cruise week before last I got to talk to Joseph Barksdale briefly.

He was onstage competing in a gameshow and when they asked him what he did for a living....he said he was a football player for the st louis rams. color me suprised at that moment.

so I introduced myself to him after the show....he probably saw me coming as I was the only one on the ship wearing a rams hat.

He struck me as highly intelligent. Extremely well spoken. But he just didnt look all that big...I pegged him for about 6-2 285? just a guess...I was standing above him on some stairs.

he was hanging out with his new bride....so i didnt stalk him or nuthin. though i will admit I kept lookin for him to talk football with. Never saw him again the remaining 3 days on the ship.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Dog said:
When I was on my cruise week before last I got to talk to Joseph Barksdale briefly.

He was onstage competing in a gameshow and when they asked him what he did for a living....he said he was a football player for the st louis rams. color me suprised at that moment.

so I introduced myself to him after the show....he probably saw me coming as I was the only one on the ship wearing a rams hat.

He struck me as highly intelligent. Extremely well spoken. But he just didnt look all that big...I pegged him for about 6-2 285? just a guess...I was standing above him on some stairs.

he was hanging out with his new bride....so i didnt stalk him or nuthin. though i will admit I kept lookin for him to talk football with. Never saw him again the remaining 3 days on the ship.

Sweet story, dog!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just found this little nugget on Ram OL'er Brandon Washington found it interesting.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/2012-Path-to-the-Draft-GuardCenter/8358858a-454a-415a-b614-fd74f1d9d20a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.houstontexans.com/news/artic ... 74f1d9d20a</a>

Brandon Washington, Guard, Miami (6-4, 320): The talent is there for Washington to mature into a guard you can win inside with consistently at the next level. He needs to improve his pad level in the in-line game and tighten up his footwork in all areas. However, with a year of seasoning he certainly should mature into an above-average guard in the NFL with the talent to start at right tackle. Washington extends his arms well into contact in the passing game and once he gains leverage he can sink his hips and anchor with consistency inside.

Brandon Washington(BW) played OLT in his final yr @ Miami but he had played OLG and started there for two seasons & played very well! BW was released for the final cuts by the Eagles who had to got out & get several OT's when they lost both starting OT's in preseason. It's my belief that BW is a sleeper of all our back ups.

Joe Barksdale (JB)a third round pick in 2011, who will be going into his third season has yet to indicate he could be a starter for the Rams @ either OT position. Barksdale failed to land a roster spot on the OT poor Raiders in 2012. JB played both OT posts @ LSU but play mainly @ OLT. I do not have the same faith in JB as the Rams org. does. JB has gained favor on most Ram sites for some reason. But what I recall is his two starts last season when we played the Patriots & Packers both games were not close and his play was beefed up by a regular in line blocking TE in those games thus robbing Sam of a skilled weapon. The real question with JB is or will he be able to be the Rams swing OT. I have not seen enough to say yes. OLT Ty Nsekhe who will be 28 this year is a very big question mark too. If you recall when reserve starter OLT Hunter injured his back & then knee & Ty had to fill in late in the Miami game Ty had so much issues that Hunter was forced to return to the lineup injured! The following week Ty was released & Barksdale was claimed off waivers.

I feel good about what Snead & Fisher have done with the Ram interior back ups:

Rok Watkins (5th rd. pick 2012) 2nd yr player
Brandon Washington (6th rd. pick Eagles 2012) 1st yr player
Shelley Smith (6th rd. pick Texans 2010) 2nd yr player
Tim Barnes (UDFA 2011) 2nd yr player

I do not have the same good feeling about the OT's.

fearsomefour

Legend
Draft Scouting report (summary) for Barksdale;
"Summary: I don't understand why Barksdale isn't more well regarded as a 2011 NFL Draft prospect nationally, but I really don't care. I have watched a lot of tape on the most lauded 2010 NFL Draft tackle prospects, and Barksdale's games are easily the best. He has a very high upside and has the raw talent to be an elite left tackle in the NFL with the prototype technique to boot. He needs to prove he can man the blind side as a senior at LSU, but I think when it's all said and done, he will at least go in the first two rounds.

I have questions with Barksdale (pure speculation on my part) because he seems to miss a block or two per game, and I'm slightly concerned about his intelligence. That said, I'm giving Barksdale a first-round grade to start the 2010 season and he's my No. 1 offensive tackle prospect for the 2011 NFL Draft. "

All of that said Bonifay brings up a good point in his post regarding a TE being kept in on Barksdales' side. I dont remember that in the Packer game much, but, me not remembering it certainly doesnt mean that it wasnt the case.
I was not familiar with Washington at all, but, I certainly like the report that Bonifay posted. Finding these guys who either fall out of favor or are the victim of numbers games can be a great way to find depth. I remember Mike Grudditaria (sp?) being a lightly regarded C that came over from another team and a certain Tom Nutten that had been in the football purgatory of the CFL. In my opinion Nutten was one of the unsung heros of the GSOT years, soliditfied the interior of the Rams line. Washington may turn out to be a similiar kind of player.
I did like Barksdale play last year. Maybe I was surprised because I didnt expect much. I do like the approach the Rams are taking with trying to find guys. I had posted a couple of times about the importance of keeping Turner. His real value was just being solid at multiple spots....he wasnt dominant at any of them. But, he was a try hard, hustling player. I wish him well in Tennessee. When it is all said and done I dont think the Rams will miss him.