Jobs Won/Lost Through 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nixon’s performance was... impeachable.
Ha ha. Funny stuff. I do agree.

My impression of this game was that our Defense is gonna be so good this season we could have Steven Tyler from Aerosmith taking snaps and we’d be ok. I mean holy crap! I can’t wait to get Donald involved. I think we have the tools and the master carpenter to make it all work. I am not impressed with Allen this game, and Mannion wasn’t on his game either at first. But I think Mannion is the better choice at this point still. Still, I’d like to see a RG3 (running) type backup to add variety to our offense. I just don’t think Allen has it.

Hill looked terrible. He was great v Atlanta last year, but perhaps his head wasn’t into this preseason matchup. He needs to play like his career depends on it, because it does. Fair warning to him.

Noteboom is very solid. He looks like a nice find. Hemingway should leave football and write a nice novel instead. I never understood that pick. But when you look for unpolished diamonds sometimes you just find pretty agates. I agree with the aforementioned Hagar, Lawler, Price, and Williams as good enough to keep. Some others as well.

Hodge, Hodge, Hodge. Can Hodge return kickoffs? Just curious, because I am not sure, but he might be a better player than Pharoh (is that sacrilege after a Probowl season?) I am sure to get rambasted over that question.

Kelly is a keeper in my book. He’s my 2 running back. Those cutbacks are razor sharp.
Wow. Just wow.

Memento is right about looking for a third TE. If not, Mundt perhaps.

Oh and... Welcome to the Team, Sam Shields!

Man, our #1 rated offense is only gonna get better than last year and our defense is gonna have a little fun this year too; and I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing! It’s gonna be Crazy!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hemingway shouldn't be a surprise. He was an extremely raw project coming in. Top that with his injuries and you get what you get. A guy with possible potential. It's time to cut bait and clear a roster spot.

Hill is what he is. A career back up. I'm not high on him either, but we dont have any real viable options behind him.

Mannion has me a bit confused. It's as if hes phoning it in. Unfortunately, hes the 2nd best QB on the roster at the moment. Its clear why Goff hasn't played a snap in preseason. It's due to the fact that we are screwed if he goes down. He must be replaced at this point.
I dont expect the staff to sit on their hands on this. I'm sure they are keeping their eyes open for an upgrade. The back up QB watch is officially on.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DL- Franklin-Myers & Joseph-Day winning last season roster positions over Tanzel Smart, Omarius Bryant & IR'd Morgan Fox.

ER'ers- Justin Lawler & Trevon Young winning roster spots as main reserves. The super trimmed down ER Dom Easley looked fine in his initial cameo appearance. Easley will need another good game to win a roster spot. You can't tell me that the change of Easley to ER/OLB'er has not been planned for a long time.

ILB'ers- Bryce Hager play in Pre season in far above that of all others. Wilson has won a spot by default due to the unhealthy Barron, Wilson stands to be beaten out later in the season by either rookies Howard or Scales. Kiser has won a spot.

CB's After the big four (Talib, Peters,Shields & NRC) there's been no winning by Hill, Nixon, Hatfield or Mikell all losers all could be easy cuts.

Safety- Reserves Christian & Holley have won the best performances in 3 gms...the back up safety cadre is far better than the reserve corner cadre. I can see Wade keeping more than expected here due to the past NFL games where Joyner & Countess both having CB playing experience.

Next up Offense in a few minutes:coffee:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
QB- I suspect that Mannion can handle McVay in his ears far better than Allen can but Allen is more pleasing to watch play.:sadwalk:

RB- Kelly & Davis have shown so much in pre season:yay: whereas Brown:sleepz: has phoned his effort in.

WR- Thomas, Reynolds & even Copper have shown me nothing, Whereas Hodge & Mitchell have been very good thus far even Natson interest me. I do not understand all this Thomas love in this forum myself. I cutting him for either Hodge or Mitchell.
TE:help:-:censored::rant: :banghead: :giveup:

LT- Noteboom won the reserve position in TC ;)
RT- Darrell Williams has won the reserve position:shocked: Lucas & Demby have falling away from DW.

Of the three internal OL posts - Austin Blythe & Brian Allen have secured their roster spots. The last spot open will be fought out between Aaron Neary & Jamil Demby with Neary having a leg up on Demby. Hey Guys we all should be singing Kromer's praises here this OL is playing high & tight Boys & Girls!:wow:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have never been a fan of Hill or Mannion. Unfortunately, I don't know who you give the job to instead of Hill. Hatfield was atrocious out there; he just couldn't cover anyone. Nixon? Maybe, but he struggled at times as well. This is where we really miss Kevin Peterson. He would've been the perfect fifth cornerback.

I think Hill's demise this preseason is Shields' gain. I've been quite critical of Shields due to Wade's preference for his CBs to play strong run defense, on the "fit" side of things I wasn't sure we need a cover type whose history of concussions suggests he'll come with risk there, but it is what it is. Hill is my biggest disappointment, personally, as I expected him to push for playing time not tank.

@Merlin excellent thread, however, I do agree with @jrry32 Hill has been uninspiring, but I don't see Hatfield beating him out either because Hatfield is just good enough to get beat, in fact, he's good to give up a TD a game when he only plays a half.

I have a feeling Hill is one of those guys who does not practice that well or plays well in preseason, but seems much better during the season. Not sure if there is someone on the squad I would keep over him just based on talent.

You may have something there, Den. But Hill has FA in his near future too and this is a business. Among those younguns they have at the position there will likely be one who they see something in, not to mention showing something as a gunner or whatever on teams.

Lol on Hodge. We fans over rate our players year in and out. Every team has their “Hodge”. I seriously doubt he’s on any teams radar and if they lose him, so be it. Who’s spot is he taking? Mike Thomas our ST stud? Nah. Pro bowl returner Pharoh Cooper? Nah. Last year Pre season star josh Reynolds? Nah...
good problem to have, log jam of talent.

Gonna disagree with you here Dieter. Hodge has something more than most of the pipe dream types that we like to root for. His route running needs work, but he's young and this particular staff is the right group to develop a guy like him. If they cut him he will be snapped up quick. IMO you also underestimate the scouting that goes on in the NFL re: other teams' preseason rosters.

ER'ers- Justin Lawler & Trevon Young winning roster spots as main reserves. The super trimmed down ER Dom Easley looked fine in his initial cameo appearance. Easley will need another good game to win a roster spot. You can't tell me that the change of Easley to ER/OLB'er has not been planned for a long time.

I've been of the mind that Easley is being pushed out, which I also consider a bad sign for him. But one thing he does bring is an ability to play inside too. Unfortunately, if you look at the guys the Rams have been bringing in, it's high effort types who also can move around a bit, and who come with young legs and high end effort snap to snap. So yeah, I think it's safe to say Easley needs a good game 4 we're in agreement there Boni.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Coaches seem to value guys who've been with the team and know the system. It seems like Allen is playing better but I think Mannion will be the backup. He looks so bland out there I wonder if his wife/GF falls asleep during sex?

…..

Legend
I'd like to think that average new guy has a chance to unseat those at the bottom of our depth charts.

Right now, Hodge is making his case and letting it be known that nothing is given here. A little guy from Prairy View can take a spot from the uncommited.

Now is that going to happen? I dunno, lots to consider with special teams and playbook familiararity. But Hodge is doing HIS part.

Malcom Brown needs another gear. I hope he isnt taking advantage of his tenure. If we go with 3 backs, he isnt on my list. If we go with 4, he makes it in.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one that thought Mannion seemed both complacent and oblivious in his post game interview? Geez, doesn’t he realize that he could slip to 3rd string with the snap of the finger by McVay? Allen outplayed him by a mile and other team final cuts are just a week away. Sigh...

Is it okay to describe Hemingway as a “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” type player? What a disappointment he has been. I suspect that he lost his “want to” after the injury occurred.

I would not be at all surprised to see S&M bring in an outside backup QB and/or an outside TE after final cuts. The QB might come via trade with a late draft pick. I’m serious. I believe that McVay is pissed and disappointed with both situations. And the perceived lack of a sense of urgency by both Mannion and Hemingway has left me pissed off, too.

Kelly and Hodge are not only pleasant surprises, both far exceeding expectations, both with an abundance of heart, but there is something else there, still.

They both inspire their teammates. You can see it on the field. Kelly’s OL players just LOVE him. And who isn’t inspired by the “come outta nowhere” Hodge? We love to root for such players.

That small taste of the starting D was tantalizing, wasn’t it? And that was against the Texan Ones, mind you. Can you imagine the chaos when AD returns?

Know what Wade’s biggest problem with LB’s might be? Deciding on his final cuts. There are some promising young players that won’t make the 53. Nice problem to have, I suppose.

Troy Hill has definitely struggled and it’s really surprised me. I had formerly thought he was a lock for 5th CB. Now, I’m not so sure.

On paper, this is a Top 3 D. I know that they don’t play the games on paper, but if you were an opposing OC, where, exactly, would you attack?

For Snead to pluck the likes of Noteboom, Allen, and Demby in rounds 3-6 was a real coup. A ton of credit should go to the players working hard to develop, and the Kromers for coaching them up, but still... If Snead doesn’t discover and grab them in the first place, it’s a moot point and we’re all still fretting about what happens if there’s an injury this year or what happens next year with all of those OL contracts running out.

Well, there are few weaknesses, much less holes on this current Ram roster. We’re mostly quibbling about who should be the 10th OL, the 7th WR, the 5th OLB, or the 6th CB. But there is still a big hole on this team, and it’s the backup QB. We need and must do better.

Yeah, Mannion was running a very vanilla playbook and he never was surrounded by starters, but Geez... He still managed to make ill advised and often poorly placed throws, and not see others that were open. If Goff goes down, are you comfortable with Mannion to keep the ship afloat against the teams we’ll be facing this season? Me neither. Hope S&M have a plan, you know?

I understand McVay’s logic about resting starters, especially O starters. I do. Hell, I even accept it. But, don’t the ticket buying fans deserve better than this crap that the NFL is loftily calling “Preseason” games. They used to more accurately be called exhibition games. And now fans are seeing fewer and fewer starters each year. C’mon...

The NFL should grow a set and go to 2 ps games and 18 regular season games. Add a bye and raise rosters to 63 with 53 actives (at least). And allow (and schedule) weekly scrimmages with teams close by.

Does that make too much sense? Lol.

Rant over.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Am I the only one that thought Mannion seemed both complacent and oblivious in his post game interview? Geez, doesn’t he realize that he could slip to 3rd string with the snap of the finger by McVay? Allen outplayed him by a mile and other team final cuts are just a week away. Sigh...

Is it okay to describe Hemingway as a “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” type player? What a disappointment he has been. I suspect that he lost his “want to” after the injury occurred.

I would not be at all surprised to see S&M bring in an outside backup QB and/or an outside TE after final cuts. The QB might come via trade with a late draft pick. I’m serious. I believe that McVay is ticked and disappointed with both situations. And the perceived lack of a sense of urgency by both Mannion and Hemingway has left me ticked off, too.

Kelly and Hodge are not only pleasant surprises, both far exceeding expectations, both with an abundance of heart, but there is something else there, still.

They both inspire their teammates. You can see it on the field. Kelly’s OL players just LOVE him. And who isn’t inspired by the “come outta nowhere” Hodge? We love to root for such players.

That small taste of the starting D was tantalizing, wasn’t it? And that was against the Texan Ones, mind you. Can you imagine the chaos when AD returns?

Know what Wade’s biggest problem with LB’s might be? Deciding on his final cuts. There are some promising young players that won’t make the 53. Nice problem to have, I suppose.

Troy Hill has definitely struggled and it’s really surprised me. I had formerly thought he was a lock for 5th CB. Now, I’m not so sure.

On paper, this is a Top 3 D. I know that they don’t play the games on paper, but if you were an opposing OC, where, exactly, would you attack?

For Snead to pluck the likes of Noteboom, Allen, and Demby in rounds 3-6 was a real coup. A ton of credit should go to the players working hard to develop, and the Kromers for coaching them up, but still... If Snead doesn’t discover and grab them in the first place, it’s a moot point and we’re all still fretting about what happens if there’s an injury this year or what happens next year with all of those OL contracts running out.

Well, there are few weaknesses, much less holes on this current Ram roster. We’re mostly quibbling about who should be the 10th OL, the 7th WR, the 5th OLB, or the 6th CB. But there is still a big hole on this team, and it’s the backup QB. We need and must do better.

Yeah, Mannion was running a very vanilla playbook and he never was surrounded by starters, but Geez... He still managed to make ill advised and often poorly placed throws, and not see others that were open. If Goff goes down, are you comfortable with Mannion to keep the ship afloat against the teams we’ll be facing this season? Me neither. Hope S&M have a plan, you know?

I understand McVay’s logic about resting starters, especially O starters. I do. Hell, I even accept it. But, don’t the ticket buying fans deserve better than this crap that the NFL is loftily calling “Preseason” games. They used to more accurately be called exhibition games. And now fans are seeing fewer and fewer starters each year. C’mon...

The NFL should grow a set and go to 2 ps games and 18 regular season games. Add a bye and raise rosters to 63 with 53 actives (at least). And allow (and schedule) weekly scrimmages with teams close by.

Does that make too much sense? Lol.

Rant over.
Don't agree with adding more preseason or regular games but I agree 100% that the roster limit should be increased. Also increase the PS limit too.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Everyone talking about needing a better backup QB, doesn’t anyone remember Jim Sorgi being Peyton Manning’s backup for 6 years? Let’s chill. If Goff goes down our season is fucked anyway.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If Goff goes down our season is freaked anyway.

It doesn't have to be like that. The Eagles and Nick Foles as well as the 99 Rams with Kurt Warner did just fine. 9 teams in NFL history have won Super Bowls with backup QB's. That said, I don't have confidence that Mannion and Allen could pull that off in an emergency, thus the urgency to get someone better signed before the season starts.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Everyone talking about needing a better backup QB, doesn’t anyone remember Jim Sorgi being Peyton Manning’s backup for 6 years? Let’s chill. If Goff goes down our season is freaked anyway.
This. Although Mannion hasn't been very good in my opinion he can keep his job due to his knowledge of the playbook alone.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It doesn't have to be like that. The Eagles and Nick Foles as well as the 99 Rams with Kurt Warner did just fine. 9 teams in NFL history have won Super Bowls with backup QB's. That said, I don't have confidence that Mannion and Allen could pull that off in an emergency, thus the urgency to get someone better signed before the season starts.
Most of the “backups” turned out to be superstars. Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Roger Starbaugh, Doug Williams, Jim Plunkett. They all had good careers. We all knew Nick Foles had potential. I understand we need a guy to come in and run the offense but it’s just getting to the point where people are complaining just to complain.

I suppose it’s a good thing we can’t find much to upset about. But we should focus on the the fact that Jared Goff is in his second season with this offense and history could be made. The Rams are at the top and we should enjoy it. We all know how quickly it can end.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WR- Thomas, Reynolds & even Copper have shown me nothing, Whereas Hodge & Mitchell have been very good thus far even Natson interest me. I do not understand all this Thomas love in this forum myself. I cutting him for either Hodge or Mitchell.

Cooper was a First-Team All Pro last year. How does that qualify as showing you nothing? Reynolds caught a TD in his first start as a rookie. And Thomas is one of the reasons why our special teams has consistently been one of the best units in the NFL the past few years. He's an elite gunner. Those guys are all role players. Reynolds actually has #1 WR potential, though. You don't cut one of them unless Hodge can replace them (Cooper or Thomas) in that role with the same level of play and be a better WR. He hasn't shown that sort of ability yet. As others have pointed out, this reminds me of all the Nelson Spruce love.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So as always we all see it differently, but here's my take fwiw...

QB: Mannion LOST the QB job tonight. His knowledge of the offense doesn't really matter when he can't place the ball, let alone hit the receiver. Even the TD to Pharoh was poorly placed. Also, a backup's job is to go in there and execute the offense without major mistakes. Dude has not progressed, which is the final key in this equation. Allen IMO will be our backup QB as of next week, although he may be required to start game 4 and hold onto the job so there may be a third act in this terrible battle.

RB: Kelly WON a roster spot and maybe the backup job. He didn't draw the top matchups of the game, but his one-cut-and-go decisiveness and explosiveness not to mention power means he's in. Certainly he is 3 on the depth chart at the lowest. IMO Davis will be stashed. RB room looks great.

TE: Hemingway LOST his job tonight. He sucked in just about every way a TE can suck. Honestly what disgusts me here is the playing time he has gotten, the dude does not belong on that field. Missed blocks with halfass effort, dropped passes, penalty in key situation, Jesus man. IMO the Rams will cut him this week. How bout that? Mundt looks like the defacto three and at this point I doubt the position wins a four in competition with others. Would like to see more of McElroy.

OL: This group overall continues to play well. Really the question here in my mind is how long the rooks will take to sieze primary backup jobs. Another strong game by Noteboom, who outside of a couple rushes was his usual consistent and earnest self. Same with Allen, who consistently pushes to move to the next level. Lucas looked pretty good at RG btw, on the 15 yard TD run where his seal and Allen's blockdown opened up the initial gap. I think the slotting for this group is mostly unchanged from last week, where IMO some things got settled.

WR: Hodge WON a roster spot tonight. They will find a way to keep him. He has actual hands, which are lacking in so many of the opposing roster decisions, but also brings size, strength to break tackles, etc. He is going to be a really nice bottom of the roster dev option for this staff. Natson once again looked good, and I'm not going to commit but as I alluded to before he and Pharoh are in a bit of a battle. Pharoh just doesn't look like the same guy. Does a Pro Bowl nod exempt him from needing to look good in preseason? I don't know just yet and maybe the fourth game will decide. Or maybe I'm nuts, as I'm sure some of you are thinking.

DL/OLB: Lawler and Price both WON roster spots tonight. Lawler sets the edge with toughness and much like Longacre has a non-stop motor that will work in multiple spots as needed, but mostly looks like a strongside OLB. Price played his @$$ off and also can flip sides as depth and brings more athleticism. DL looks pretty set to me, no real changes that I feel were made off this game so lumping them together.

ILB: Kiser WON a roster spot tonight. It could be fairly argued that already happened, but his drops in coverage showed excellent progress and he still brings a nice burst on the inside rush. Hager is still ahead of him, and rightly so since he undoubtedly knows the defense better and is in his own right greatly improved under this staff. On the weak side no change, as Ramik Wilson looked outstanding and will provide top-notch backup quality behind Barron.

CB: Hill LOST his job tonight. He won't make the cut IMO. Dude has been inconsistent as F all preseason and doesn't deserve a roster spot in this secondary. This is his second year in this defense after playing well for us down the stretch, he needs to be better than a guy who goes out there and sucks it up vs depth options. That TD he gave up tonight he looked back at the ball in textbook fashion but the guy just doesn't have it. Not sure why, but don't really care why.

S: No real change here as the last guy to win a job to my eye among this group, Christian, continues to look the part in his run support hybrid type role they want to use him in. He's gonna play a lot this year I think, for a depth guy.
I agree with almost every assessment, and what's funny, is all these guys showed out game #1. They have continued to play well, and even though some will fall, or try to fall on our P.S. All in all, another solid draft, maybe will end up being a stellar draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cooper was a First-Team All Pro last year. How does that qualify as showing you nothing? Reynolds caught a TD in his first start as a rookie. And Thomas is one of the reasons why our special teams has consistently been one of the best units in the NFL the past few years. He's an elite gunner. Those guys are all role players. Reynolds actually has #1 WR potential, though. You don't cut one of them unless Hodge can replace them (Cooper or Thomas) in that role with the same level of play and be a better WR. He hasn't shown that sort of ability yet. As others have pointed out, this reminds me of all the Nelson Spruce love.
Correct me IF I was wrong but I was under the impression that we were discussing the performances based off the past three 2018 pre season games.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct me IF I was wrong but I was under the impression that we were discussing the performances based off the past three 2018 pre season games.

Oh, I wasn't. I can't really ignore what guys have done in the past when we're deciding who makes the team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh, I wasn't. I can't really ignore what guys have done in the past when we're deciding who makes the team.

Kind of where I am at with Hill.

He had some nice moments last year in real games. He’s not been strong these 3 preseason games, but can’t discard last year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of where I am at with Hill.

He had some nice moments last year in real games. He’s not been strong these 3 preseason games, but can’t discard last year.
And it's understandable to criticize him for these few games. But none of the CB behind him have really distinguished themselves in those game either.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
With Hemingway, you'd think someone would tell him to at least LOOK like he's playing with urgency. For three straight games now, he's been taking a stroll in the park.

And with all those drops, maybe he's writing a sequel : A Farewell to Hands.