Jim Tomsula goes all George Costanza

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/863246

San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Tomsula appears to be living by the George Costanza code of logic. Costanza enjoyed some brief success using the philosophy; if every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right. But things aren't working as well for Tomsula.

Down 20-3 to the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday with 4:08 to play in the game and facing a fourth-and-4, the logical thing for the 49ers to do is go for it. However, Tomsula does the opposite and punts.

It's anything but a never-say-die attitude and something that was shockingly applauded by commentator Phil Simms, but Tomsula seems to be content at this point with taking the loss. He's pulled out the white flag and surrended to a Seahawks' defense that punished Colin Kaepernick all night. At least that's what we thought. When Seattle gets the ball back, though, Tomsula starts using his timeouts. If he wanted to continue to pursue a win, why punt it back to Seattle on a very makeable fourth down?

A minute later, San Francisco had the ball back looking at a fourth-and-3 with the same score - so they have to go for it now, right? Nope. Boom goes the punt. Another headscratcher.

So Seattle has it back again and what does Tomsula do? You guessed it, another timeout. The Seahawks eventually ran out the clock, putting Tomsula out of his misery.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Maybe he should punt on first down. Nobody would see THAT ONE coming. Genius. Take that, Phil Simms!

Athos

Legend
For all of Fisher's warts, thank god we don't have this meandering, bumbling idiot as HC.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To quote Herb Lee, in his only line from "My Favorite Year"

Oh god, this makes me happy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I swear I think the 49ers strategized to get the #1 overall pick by hiring the fat guy. There is just no way they can think the guy is going to replace Harbaugh with good results. They must be planning to ensure they can replace Krapperdick in this draft.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Tomsula is an excellent D-line coach, he's just in a horrible situation with a dysfunctional FO right now. I'm glad those dark days are over for us, although Kroenke leaves a lot to be desired.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's another Costanzaism that might come in handy for Tomsula.

ERnLr7C.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought the Rams run as the cream of the crop was very short. The Niners wasn't much longer. Strange how teams can be so good and when they fall they fall fast and hard. Why can't this have beeen the same story with the Patriots? One can only dream.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I swear I think the 49ers strategized to get the #1 overall pick by hiring the fat guy. There is just no way they can think the guy is going to replace Harbaugh with good results. They must be planning to ensure they can replace Krapperdick in this draft.
You give those assholes too much credit!

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
He is the kind of coach that farts in microphones then squints like he was concentrating on something else (because that helps)

rams2050

Starter
Why can't this have beeen the same story with the Patriots? One can only dream.

Their 'moment' of glory would NOT have lasted going on a decade-and-a-half, in this age of so-called 'parity,' had they not been cheating like a pack of card sharps.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tomsula is an excellent D-line coach, he's just in a horrible situation with a dysfunctional FO right now. I'm glad those dark days are over for us, although Kroenke leaves a lot to be desired.
Call me sentimental or whatever... but, after reading a piece on all he's gone through to make it to the NFL, I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

I swear I think the 49ers strategized to get the #1 overall pick by hiring the fat guy.
I honestly think this could be true. And they should be ashamed of themselves if it is.

There is a LOT of pressure on that franchise right now... a brand new stadium sitting empty is NOT a good thing... PR-wise and financially.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's another Costanzaism that might come in handy for Tomsula.

ERnLr7C.jpg
This one goes out to any and all who have had the "crazy neighbor" who starts rumors to create a crapfest for everyone nearby.