Jim Thomas Talks FA, Saffold, O-Line -15% Chance of Picking Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas joined The Morning After Show on 920 Sports Radio yesterday. He talks about free agency, the loss of Rodger Saffold, who they have left on the O-line, their needs in the secondary, the Rams draft options and how O line just became more of an urgency. Thomas says there is about a 15% chance they would take Sammy Watkins at this point.

Listen to the Jim Thomas Interview
JT starts at 6:00

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sooo... you're telling me there's a chance. :D

I'm good with OT and Pryor, actually.

rodney c

this is why the rams go 7-9 or lower ,because we pass on the best player in this draft[ sammy watkins] , mr snead please take watkins first and ot with thx 8 picks if you like , but get sammy first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nighttrain

Legend
Watkins by himself solves nothing, keep SB upright, in the pocket, then with a little time our receivers will surprise us.
train

A55VA6

Legend
Watkins by himself solves nothing, keep SB upright, in the pocket, then with a little time our receivers will surprise us.
train
Not really confident 2 rookies on the OL are going to keep Sam upright... was hoping we'd sign a veteran.

nighttrain

Legend
Not really confident 2 rookies on the OL are going to keep Sam upright... was hoping we'd sign a veteran.

If line is Long Barrett Wellls Rookie Barksdale, not two rooks. Even if we have to start Turner at Center for a few weeks til Long heals, he's a vet. Shelley may hot be first rate, but he held his own most of last season. This line may not be the best in football, but if they can run block and give SB just a little time to hit on those quick out's & slants, well, not the worst in the league i bet
train

'

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
train
But no one's advocating picking Watkins by himself. Even if we can't get an FA guard, you *can* still pick Watkins AND fix the holes at guard. I'm not sure why this false dilemma of a top 10 tackle playing as guard being the ONLY way to fix the OL is being constantly presented.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
But no one's advocating picking Watkins by himself. Even if we can't get an FA guard, you *can* still pick Watkins AND fix the holes at guard. I'm not sure why this false dilemma of a top 10 tackle playing as guard being the ONLY way to fix the OL is being constantly presented.
I can't speak for everyone but I am advocating a top OT because I'm looking beyond next year. Long is aging, returning from injury and has not completed a season in 3 years. Barksdale is an UFA after this year and hopefully we won't be selecting in that premium OT range in the foreseeable future. We simply, IMO, cannot continue to allow the cupboard to run bare.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I can't speak for everyone but I am advocating a top OT because I'm looking beyond next year. Long is aging, returning from injury and has not completed a season in 3 years. Barksdale is an UFA after this year and hopefully we won't be selecting in that premium OT range in the foreseeable future. We simply, IMO, cannot continue to allow the cupboard to run bare.
To me, the Barksdale thing isn't that big a deal, since RTs can be found elsewhere. Most good teams don't overinvest at that position.

And if we're that concerned about Long being injured or gone after next year, then to me, the Long signing was a failure.

You disagree, and I get that, but I'm not a big fan of not picking at a position where we don't have anyone and where you won't be able to fill later (WRs will be available later... likely #1s will not be) in order to pick a position we already have for "just in case". With that logic, we might as well pick a QB or Clowney. (Although admittedly, the QB would be holding a clipboard and the tackle wouldn't be.)

Memphis Ram

Legend
this is why the rams go 7-9 or lower ,because we pass on the best player in this draft[ sammy watkins] , mr snead please take watkins first and ot with thx 8 picks if you like , but get sammy first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best player in the draft? Gee. Watkins doesn't even make my top 5 players.

Oh well. On a side note, it's interesting to me that perhaps the best WR in the NFL, in Calvin Johnson, has enjoyed ONE winning season so far in his 7 year NFL career.

Memphis Ram

Legend

My guess is that everyone advocating such a selection sees it the very same way. Team needs don't influence player availability and when you get your shot to take a potential franchise LT you take him because that chance doesn't come around as often as most seem to believe. A roster with a couple of quality bookend OTs with both having the ability to play LT at a high level is HUGE. If the prone to injury starter goes down for a game or a season, the team wouldn't have to make much in the way of changes on offense to protect the QBs blindside.

And what makes it so great in this case is that chances are said player will probably be the BPA on the Rams board.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I hate when people put percentages on shit like this.

They aren't using empirical data and science to determine this. They aren't predicting the weather...(which isn't just a guess, believe it or not haha).

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best player in the draft? Gee. Watkins doesn't even make my top 5 players.

Oh well. On a side note, it's interesting to me that perhaps the best WR in the NFL, in Calvin Johnson, has enjoyed ONE winning season so far in his 7 year NFL career.

You can't fault Calvin for that he has done more than his share to win games....in comparison take a look at the Browns record since 2007...they have the best tackle in the nfl. One guy doesn't make a team win or lose regardless if he's the best or not

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I hate when people put percentages on crap like this.

They aren't using empirical data and science to determine this. They aren't predicting the weather...(which isn't just a guess, believe it or not haha).
There's only a 43.76% chance of that being true. ;)

rodney c

I know one thing if we want to beat the 49er and seattle we better get some HEART ON THIS SIDE OF THE BALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, QUICK DON'T HAVE IT GIVENS DON'T HAVE IT , AUSTIN TO SMALL TO DO IT BY HIS SELF ,

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I know one thing if we want to beat the 49er and seattle we better get some HEART ON THIS SIDE OF THE BALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, QUICK DON'T HAVE IT GIVENS DON'T HAVE IT , AUSTIN TO SMALL TO DO IT BY HIS SELF ,

So the heart you are talking about we need is Bailey and Pettis and a mid round WR right?