Jim Thomas Talks About the Difference Between Walton & Williams + More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas visits with Frank Cusumano on 920AM. They talk about Gregg Williams and the difference between him and Tim Walton. Walton wasn’t much interested in player feedback, while Williams is all about that. Walton was more of a “my way or the highway” guy. Michael Sam is on the bubble in making the team. Ethan Westbrooks will make a run at him. Sam has been getting some time with the 2nd unit. They talk about the amazing size and strength of Robinson and Saffold. If Saffold has to play LT, the Rams have a great backup in Davin Joseph, who’s looked pretty good so far. Barrett Jones is working real hard and there is a lot of competition on the O-line. Bradford’s leadership is better this year. Schotty talked about it yesterday. The Rams want him to be more of a leader. Bradford has looked pretty good so far. Pettis has stood out this spring...again. He has a good chemistry with Bradford. All of the WR’s have had good moments.

Listen to Jim Thomas’ Interview

Rams Discussion Starts at 6:15

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The most interesting part of the interview is the contrasting of Walton and Williams. This is the first time I've heard anything about Walton and what he was like.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The most interesting part of the interview is the contrasting of Walton and Williams. This is the first time I've heard anything about Walton and what he was like.

Exactly. Even the players never said much about him... which speaks volumes

Dick84

With Barret Jones apparently physically well enough and conditioned enough to compete and, hopefully, Joseph looking healthy... this team has the most talent and depth on the oline as it's had in quite a number of years.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
That's interesting to hear about Walton. You would think that would be the type of personality Fisher would avoid bringing in. Maybe they didn't get enough dirt on the guy before bringing him in....

jdhommert

Rookie
With Barret Jones apparently physically well enough and conditioned enough to compete and, hopefully, Joseph looking healthy... this team has the most talent and depth on the oline as it's had in quite a number of years.
I've been thinking the same thing for a while.

Long-Robinson-Wells-Saffold-Barksdale

Then as backups you've got guys like Barrett Jones, Washington, Barnes, Davin Joseph etc etc

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Interesting to hear about Walton, but looking at the results and his inflexibility to change things up when his scheme clearly wasn't working, it makes sense. It also gives a bit more credibility to the rumor that Fisher started taking a more hands on role with the defense as the season wore on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - That was interesting. You get the feeling even JL didn't really have his ear. That is kind of a commonality among inexperienced managers so it probably is similar with coaches. It seems to take the confidence of "been there" sometimes before you believe in yourself enough to ask what your employees (players) see and think needs to happen.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Joseph at full strength would be a huge plus for the depth at o line.
Staff infections are very serious business.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Any manager that thinks he knows it all, and doesn't need input from his employees, is doomed. Some learn it and are effective...others have to be the BOSS.
In Walton's defense, he had a lot of help and I'm sure when he said something, there were players looking at Fisher to see if he flinched.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That's interesting to hear about Walton. You would think that would be the type of personality Fisher would avoid bringing in. Maybe they didn't get enough dirt on the guy before bringing him in....
Welcome aboard. Love your avatar!:D

Athos

Legend
Makes the Walton signing in the first place all the harder to understand. Terrible Detroit secondary and comes here and gets this D taken away from him like candy from a baby by Fisher.

Glad that dolt got kicked to the curb.

In Williams we trust.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Makes the Walton signing in the first place all the harder to understand. Terrible Detroit secondary and comes here and gets this D taken away from him like candy from a baby by Fisher,
Glad that dolt got kicked to the curb.

In Williams we trust.

Easy he was a easy to get rid of place holder they could dump the moment they could sign Williams who they truly wanted to begin with

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Yeah - That was interesting. You get the feeling even JL didn't really have his ear. That is kind of a commonality among inexperienced managers so it probably is similar with coaches. It seems to take the confidence of "been there" sometimes before you believe in yourself enough to ask what your employees (players) see and think needs to happen.
Yeah, you know I never gave it a second thought when nothing was ever really said about Walton. But now that we're hearing almost daily about Williams (in a good way) I am so freaking pumped for the season!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Joseph at full strength would be a huge plus for the depth at o line.
Staff infections are very serious business.

ORG Davin Joseph was a major sign if you have Rodger Saffold & Jake Long as starters.

I believe when we see new photo's of Saffold in TC ...we will see he has been working seriously on his BETTLEJUICE look! Saffold finally free up to get as big, large & massive as he wants now... that he knows he is an official starting guard in the NFL leaving the OT post far in his rear view mirror. We have no ideal just how great he will be playing OG yet......no ideal........;)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Looks like Pettis is turning into Brandon Gibson, hes the best WR in training camp and Sam seems to trust him more than the others.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Any manager that thinks he knows it all, and doesn't need input from his employees, is doomed. Some learn it and are effective...others have to be the BOSS.
In Walton's defense, he had a lot of help and I'm sure when he said something, there were players looking at Fisher to see if he flinched.
I can picture that exact scenario. It would make a lot of sense.

Oh well. We have what appears to be the right man for the job now.