Jim Thomas Rams Chat Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT Chat Highlights

—How Do Other GM’s View Bradford? I can’t really speak for the other GMs in the league. But I think teams respect Bradford’s arm strength and potential. (I know, when does potential get realized?) Remember, it was Mike Shanahan who helped talk Jeff Fisher into taking the St. Louis job over Miami because of Bradford. I’m sure some GMs might wonder why hasn’t Bradford clicked yet for the Rams. With Wilson and Kaepernick, you have to respect their improvisational skills and their running ability. I’m still not convinced about them as passers. If you had to depend on their passing ability to win a game _ say a game where they had to throw it 35-40 times, could they do it?

—How Does Austin Look? Pretty good. I’d still rank Bailey, Britt, and Quick ahead of him as far as how he has looked so far in camp. But Austin has had some moments. They’ve been using him a little more in the backfield this camp; let’s see if that carries over to the season.

—Chance Gaines Makes Roster? A pretty good chance I would say as a special teams guy. Right now, I’d say it’s between him, Greg Reid, and Darren Woodard for the 5th spot, and the Rams could keep 6. For what it’s worth the first unofficial depth chart of the preseason has Gaines listed as second team.

—WR to get most targets? If Bailey weren’t suspended, I’d say he’d be the guy. Without him, I think it comes down to Austin, Britt, and Cook. But without a proven No. 1 receiver or go-to guy, it could vary from game to game.

—No, Carrington isn’t tearing it up like Donald. But he’s been OK. Remember he’s coming back from a 2013 injury. But he’s been solid. And keep in mind, he’s not the quick, speed-rush guy like Donald. He’s more of the bigger run-stuffer kind of guy.

—Alexander a Starter? That’ll be tough. McDonald and McLeod are pretty well ensconced as the starters at this point.

—WR’s improved? I’m reserving judgment. Last year at this time, we were all raving about the new-improved receiver corps _ particularly Austin. Quick had a good camp last year as well in ’13. Etc. Etc. And then the games started. And you make a good point about the secondary _ that unit still has to prove itself.

—Pead? The Rams think he can still be a space player on third down, catching passes out of the backfield. But it’s going to be hard for him to leapfrog Stacy, Cunningham, and Mason on the depth chart.

—OL Keepers? I’m assuming that you’re putting Davin Joseph in the top six. The Rams will probably keep eight or nine o-linemen, which brings you to Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, Mike Person, Sean Hooey, Brandon Washington. I’d say Barnes and Barrett, maybe Person, are at the head of the group so far. At this point, I think rookies Demetrius Rhaney and Mitchell Van Dyk are practice squad candidates, although Rhaney has had some moments in camp.

—What makes Donald so effective? Impressive quickness, good strength, uses leverage to his advantage, smart, mature, knows how to use hands to fend off blockers.

—Barret Jones? Well, he certainly needs the reps. But I don’t think he’s missed enough to really set him back so far.

—Rams to Lead the NFL in Sacks? They’ve been at or near the top each of the past two seasons, so sure, I think we’ll see more of the same this year. The thing about Gregg Williams though is that the pressure could come from all over, be it blitzing linebackers, blitzing safeties, or Joyner coming off the slot. And the more the Rams are playing with a lead, the more they should have opportunities for sacks.

—Pettis Makes Roster? I think he’s there, especially for the first four games when there’s no Bailey.

—Joyner the Real deal? He certainly looks like it. Smart. Instinctive. Tough.

—Starting Seconday? Jenkins and Johnson at cornerback; Joyner at nickel back; McDonald at strong safety; McLeod at free safety.

—Austin Franklin has been OK from what I have noticed. But again, there are 90 players out there so I haven’t watched him a lot. He’s in a group behind the top 6 WRs that includes Justin Veltung and T.J. Moe. I liked what I saw from Watts early in camp, but he’s been banged up and hasn’t practiced in a few days.

Read All Chat Highlights

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I hope we can field a solid secondary. I am not worried about our front 7, it's the back 4 that get me nervous. If Jenkins can bring it like his rookie season...........