Jim Thomas Rams Chat Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT’s Chat Highlights

—Why No WR in the Draft? Well, we’ve gone over this ground many times. And the party line at Rams Park is that the team invested a lot in the group over the previous two drafts _ four picks _ one in each of the first four rounds. They traded up in the first round for Austin, who was widely regarded as the best play maker in the 2013 draft. They spent a potential $35 million on TE Jared Cook. So they want to be patient with the current group and watch them develop. That’s the thinking anyway. We’ll see if it’s right.

—Don’t think Scott Wells is in any trouble. Remember the Rams lost two guards to free agency in Chris Williams and Shelley Smith.

—Quick? Physically he’s gifted, there’s no doubt. But does he use his size to his advantage? Does he fight for the football like it’s a prime steak and he hasn’t eaten in a week? He has improved; but enough to justify being the first player taken in the second round? Doesn’t look like it at this point. I think Year 3 is definitely huge for him.

—Player they Can Least Afford to Lose (other than Bradford)? That’s a good question. Not that Janoris Jenkins was a world-beater last year, but the Rams are thin at corner, and have next to no experience behind the starters.

—I really like the late-round pick of E.J. Gaines. There are several UDFAs who I’m anxious to see, including some that have been mentioned earlier today _ Westbrooks, Wilson. Curious to see the WR Franklin and the TE Bayer as well.

—I think there will be some interesting decisions at safety behind McDonald, McLeod, and Alexander. Cody Davis? Matt Daniels? Also the interior on the offensive line. The Rams can’t keep all of them, between backups Davin Joseph, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes.

—The thing that scared me the most about watching Jason Smith is how he would miss terribly on some pass blocks _ both in practice and in games. They were the kind of misses that get quarterbacks killed. Now as to when exactly I noticed this, I can’t tell you for sure.

—Even in this day and age, most teams primarily have one safety who plays more in the box on run support. And one safety who plays more in coverage. I didn’t realize Fisher had this philosophy, because last year, McDonald played more in the box, and McLeod more in coverage (when he wasn’t playing the slot).

—Chances for Sam To Make It? Fisher likes collecting ends. And he has kept five in the past. Trouble is, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, William Hayes, and Eugene Sims are all but locks. And you’ve got to keep an eye on Ethan Westbrooks, who could play end at this level. Long story short, it’s not a slam dunk for Sam by any means.

—Rams have kept nine DB’s in the past. We’ll see what happens.

—Usually ACLs, barring any complications can heal in eight or nine months. Long obviously won’t be ready for OTAs, and probably will miss much of camp.

—Hard Knocks is entertaining, there’s no doubt. But Fisher seemed pretty convinced a couple of weeks ago that the team would not be on Hard Knocks. They’ve already got one potential distraction in Michael Sam. They don’t need two.

—How Will they Handle Bailey? I’m trying to think back to how the Rams handled Pettis. I believe Pettis got just as many reps, but not all were with the first unit. And when the preseason hit, I don’t think any of the reps were with the 1s.

—Why Pass on Watkins? Two of what I would say are the top 3 or 4 teams in the league _ Seattle and San Francisco _ got by without strong passing games. That’s the model Fisher is trying to emulate. That being said, you still need guys that can get open with some degree of consistency in the passing game, and the Rams are banking on their current crop of pass-catchers. It’s a gamble, to be sure. I’m not saying Robinson is the next Orlando Pace. Pace, for one, was a pretty good pass blocker when he entered the league. Robinson is not. But I don’t think Robinson is the next Jason Smith either.

Read All Chat Highlights

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wells is in trouble because Smith and Williams are gone?
Nonsensical.

It says..."Don't think Scott Well is in any trouble with the loss of Willams & Smith." Which means he feels Wells will make the team and I agree with Thomas. Many have been writing off Wells, but IMO the guy in trouble is Tim Barnes if Demetrius Rhaney showcases to be more stout at the point of attack and Barrett Jones plays well as advertised.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I agree Wells is not in trouble this season. But if misses significant amount of time, this will be his last.

fearsomefour

Legend
I
It says..."Don't think Scott Well is in any trouble with the loss of Willams & Smith." Which means he feels Wells will make the team and I agree with Thomas. Many have been writing off Wells, but IMO the guy in trouble is Tim Barnes if Demetrius Rhaney showcases to be more stout at the point of attack and Barrett Jones plays well as advertised.
I read that like a question not a statement. Never mind there was no question mark.
I think Wells is the starter. Backup? Who knows.
Should be a good competition in camp.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I

I read that like a question not a statement. Never mind there was no question mark.
I think Wells is the starter. Backup? Who knows.
Should be a good competition in camp.

Yes it should and Wells is the starter unless he gets injured again then the Rams might think about parting ways, however, the Rams played much better with Wells at Center and he was having a really good year until the injury. I agree with many that soon Barrett Jones will be the starting Center and maybe Barnes will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride, but I was not pleased with Barnes last year his run blocking left much to be desired when he started so we will see if he's up to the challenge from Rhaney, who is listed as the same size, but just looks thicker IMHO.

Dick84

Pointed this out on "other" board...

I didn't know about Richardson being "inconsistent" in offseason program.

I read into that that Pead is being consistent.. Which is good.

Pead may never live up to being a second rounder... But being able to contribute on Special Teams and on 3rd downs means he's definitely not a bust.

Maybe he even gets a few carries this year.

(I know they were trying to move him with no luck)

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I agree Wells is not in trouble this season. But if misses significant amount of time, this will be his last.

I think they like Scott Well's veteran brain, stuck in between a rookie guard Robinson and Saffold, an injury prone guard who will be starting his first full season at guard. Wouldn't you want Wells to download on a lifetime of Pro Center Experience and Wisdom to Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney?

It's Scott Wells job to anchor the center of the Ram's offensive line, but if 2 of the other 3 centers are 90% as good as Scott Wells, then I expect the Rams will cut Wells before the regular season begins, thus saving several million dollars in salary cap. By the end of pre-season the Rams coaching staff should be aware of their team weakness's, so with the saved money from the bottom of the salary cap Well, it's very possible the Rams will sign a free agent to fill the perceived post pre-season weakness after all the NFL teams make their last cuts- thus sending dozens of proven vets to the top of the NFL Scrap Heap.

Unless I'm wrong about Scott Well's contract, the Rams don't gain anything by cutting Scott now. Like any intelligent investor the Rams are hedging their bets.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think they like Scott Well's veteran brain, stuck in between a rookie guard Robinson and Saffold, an injury prone guard who will be starting his first full season at guard. Wouldn't you want Wells to download on a lifetime of Pro Center Experience and Wisdom to Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney?

It's Scott Wells job to anchor the center of the Ram's offensive line, but if 2 of the other 3 centers are 90% as good as Scott Wells, then I expect the Rams will cut Wells before the regular season begins, thus saving several million dollars in salary cap. By the end of pre-season the Rams coaching staff should be aware of their team weakness's, so with the saved money from the bottom of the salary cap Well, it's very possible the Rams will sign a free agent to fill the perceived post pre-season weakness after all the NFL teams make their last cuts- thus sending dozens of proven vets to the top of the NFL Scrap Heap.

Unless I'm wrong about Scott Well's contract, the Rams don't gain anything by cutting Scott now. Like any intelligent investor the Rams are hedging their bets.
I agree. I think one of the other guys would have to take their game to a whole different level physically to unseat Wells.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes it should and Wells is the starter unless he gets injured again then the Rams might think about parting ways, however, the Rams played much better with Wells at Center and he was having a really good year until the injury. I agree with many that soon Barrett Jones will be the starting Center and maybe Barnes will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride, but I was not pleased with Barnes last year his run blocking left much to be desired when he started so we will see if he's up to the challenge from Rhaney, who is listed as the same size, but just looks thicker IMHO.
Rhaney measures out at being more athletic which when combined with size is intriguing.
The battle for backup C bleeds into G depth as well.
Those interior depth spots are going to be tough to win: Washington, Joseph, Barnes, Jones, Rhaney and a couple of others battling out for 2 maybe 3 spots.
Should be good. I like that the team is looking for quality now as opposed to just getting stuck with bodies.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I don't think it benefits them until next year, unless they need room to sign someone else.