Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 9/6/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.

giphy.gif

***************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_26?Page=0

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

So, what say you about Bradford taking over the Vikings for 2016? Quite a turn of events, isn't it?

I'm beginning to think I have my own little version of the SI Jinx going. I do a story on Dorial Green-Beckham at Titans camp _ he gets traded 2 days after the story appears in the P-D. I do an online story on Chase Coffman at Colts camp, he gets cut over weekend. I catch up with Bradford when Eagles were in Indy, he gets traded the next week. I also talked with Chris Givens after that Philly-Indy game, he gets cut the next day.

Anyway, I think this could be a great spot for Bradford. The Vikings have a deep and talented roster, and had true Super Bowl aspirations entering this season. They have a strong running game and a strong defense, so they don't necessarily have to rely on him to throw 40 passes a game. Now, it's all about how quickly he can pick up the offense.
----------
If you have a jinx thing going, can you do a story about the lack of recent earthquakes juuuust before Stan's new stadium opens?

Actually, my brother envisioned that several months back. He just doesn't want anyone hurt, and he wants it very localized, so nothing else is damaged. So it's got to happen maybe at 4 a.m. on game day.

wwyp.gif

-----------
What team do you think will step back and what team do you see stepping up this season?

I certainly can't see Denver going back to the Super Bowl this year. I know they have a strong defense. I know they have a talented receiver corps. But Trevor Siemian is no Peyton Manning _ not even Peyton Manning at the end, So I see Denver as like a 10-6 wild-card.

I also wonder about Washington repeating as division champs, even though the NFC East looks like a mess. I'm still not totally convinced on Kirk Cousins. On the upside, I'm still going to tout Oakland and Jacksonville as teams that show marked improvement based on what looked like very strong offseasons in terms of personnel additions
---------
Go 49ers! At least for this week.

giphy.gif

Just a guess, there may be a couple of former St, Louis Rams fans who feel the same way.
----------
Hi Jim, during Fisher's tenure with the Rams, there have been a lot drafted offensive players who were a little behind at the start of the season and not quite ready to contribute where you would normally expect a guy drafted at that level--guys like Pead, Quick, Jones, Robinson. The wait for those guys to catch up is still on.

Given that, any thoughts on Goff going into the season as the #3 QB behind guys not named Brady or Rodgers?

During the Fisher-Snead regime, the Rams have always gone heavy on potential moreso than college production and NFL readiness. And this frequently has come back to bite them. Brian Quick looked great working out in shorts _ but grasping complex NFL playbooks and doing it when you're playing in a full-contact situation is something different.

The Rams thought Isaiah Pead would be an effective space player. And he was productive in college. But injuries and off-field issues derailed his career, although he's still on the Miami roster as we type this. By all accounts, Greg Robinson played better this preseason, but we'll see how the regular season goes. Over time, Jake Matthews may prove to be a better pick.
-----------
How much does team travel really effect a team? Just was a video saying the Rams will travel more than any other team this year in terms of miles.

That's one of the byproducts of playing on the West Coast instead of being in the middle of the country. Throw in the fact that Kroenke has given up a home game to play in London again this year, and you have a lot of time in the air. That can catch up to a team over the course of a season, even highly-trained young athletes.

(Yes, because flying extra miles first-class for 8 games will make the difference between a winning or losing season for athletes in the prime of their lives).

giphy.gif

----------
Did the NFL kill the live broadcast of the Rams in St. Louis last week because we nearly beat LA in TV ratings the week before? As I recall, when the Big Red left, they kept their games on TV here as the main game each week for a couple of years.

At least in the regular season, I believe Big Red games were shown on local TV here for the team's first 2 1/2 seasons in Arizona. But this time around, there were no such plans to carry any of the Rams' preseason games locally. The only reason the Dallas game was shown here was because it was a national telecast by ESPN. The Chiefs-Rams game was shown here because KMOV, Channel 4 showed all of the Chiefs' preseason games here locally.
-----------
I believe the Titans play the Rams next year. I think it would be funny if the Titans bring out all the players they got in the Goff trade for the coin toss.

That would be totally appropriate, don't you think.

giphy.gif

---------------
I see the Rams have the youngest roster again. Other than the D line, and Rbs, there is not much quality depth. An injury here and there and it's another 3 win season. Why does this regime fail to fix the depth issue at keep positions?

They had some key losses in free agency (McLeod, Jenkins, etc.) and by design released some veterans (Long, Laurinaitis, etc.). That affects depth as others move into starting roles. Some backup players, such as CB Marcus Roberson, never developed and took that next step. Some depth players, such as Daren Bates, they let go in free agency.

It's very strange how this annually has become the youngest roster in the league. It's as if the Rams are perpetually building for the future but the future never comes.
----------
JT, how did you get the info on all of the Rams roster moves even before the L.A. writers?

giphy.gif

One: I never kiss and tell. Two, I've been doing this for a while. But thx. . . .
----------
I wonder what the reception is like from Todd Hewitt (fired Rams equipment manager, current USC equipment manager) when the Rams use USC's locker room? Have you heard anything?

Interesting you should bring that up. I've thought about that as well. I haven't talked to Todd in quite a while, so I don't know how he feels about all this. But I'm sure he won't be overjoyed to see Kevin Demoff, if they cross paths.
----------
Hewitt's at USC? Ex-Lax in coffee time, Mr. Demoff!

Yes, Hewitt is the equipment manager for the entire USC athletic department.
----------
Have you heard any rumblings that the Rams may have overvalued Goff and screwed up with the big trade? Without the trade they could have stud WR and stud LB etc. With Keenan still at the helm. Also their 1st rounder they gave up next year is really going to sting when it's a top 5 pick. Yikes.

Well, it's still early in the process. It would be foolish to call Goff a bust after four preseason games. But it is surprising that the Rams don't have Goff more game-ready than he is at this point. I think it's more the media than the rest of the league that's wondering about Goff at this point, particularly if he's holding a clipboard as the No. 3 QB on opening night in San Francisco.
-------------
Fisher said that this is not the 53 man roster that he is going to war with. Where do you see him making changes?

The Rams are heavy on the O-line (10 on current roster); heavy at wide receiver (seven); and light in the secondary (8 DBs), and particularly at safety with only 3 on the current roster. Once Cooper and Spruce are healthy, they might lose a wide receiver _ and maybe it would be Mike Thomas.

Hard to see them keeping 10 o-linemen throughout the season. They need another DB, particularly since those guys are staples of special teams play. Somewhat unrelated to the numbers game, Akeem Ayers could be back at LB at a reduced rate.
-----------
What is Fisher thinking, in releasing Ayers?

I think they want to sign him back for a reduced rate. And if they do so after Week 1, Ayers contract is not guaranteed.
-----------
The Rams offense on paper looks weak to begin with. One injury to Gurley and it could look like Spags first year or his last for that matter.

s1200_Lighten_Up_Francis.jpg

I don't disagree. Gurley certainly has the kind of skill to level the playing field but if he goes down. . things could get ugly.

(If Adrian Peterson or any other starting running back of that caliber goes down, it could get ugly for their teams as well. So what's the point?)
---------------
Could you go o- line, health, strength weakness & etc. Is Stafford health this year? Over /under is 6 games with buddies.

(Who's Stafford?)

200.gif

Saffold is healthy. And now that Havenstein is back, I'm curious to see where Saffold lines up on opening day. Do they move him back to left guard? Robinson, at least what we saw of him in preseason, played better. But he's still a key figure for the Rams on the o-line. He's gotta play better _ a lot better. Barnes is solid at center, and played better over the second half of last season.

It remains to be seen whether Havenstein will be rusty at RT after missing a lot of time in camp/preseason. With Battle and D. Williams struggling in the preseason _ and now neither are on the roster _ the Rams are a little thin at tackle. If Saffold is at guard, it looks like he kicks out to tackle if anything happens to the starters.

Players like Wichmann, Donnal, Brown, and Havenstein all have some seasoning as they enter their second NFL seasons, so the expectation there is that they show improvement.
----------
Jim, do you sense any of the Rams players see the team differently after the move? Like in a similar way to the ST. Louis fans. Lamarcus Joyner seemed jaded in a recent hard knocks preview.

(Speaking of "jaded," time for a good tune to break the monotony).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbexOeoH5hg

I don't have a sense for that. And remember, I'm not around the team anymore. I thought Joyner's displeasure was over being temporarily demoted to the second unit.
----------
You must be the loneliest man in town.

weeds.gif

Actually, I thoroughly enjoy these Tuesday therapy sessions! And although it's not quite the same as having a team in your hometown I'm really enjoying my new duties covering the NFL league-wide.
-----------
Catching up with Hard Knocks on this side of the pond. Could not believe the Rams gave up all those picks for a guy who'd never taken a snap under centre and never called a play in the huddle. Is there a precedence for QB's so inexperienced in a pro style offence having a great pro career?

You know what, there haven't been a ton of spread/shotgun type QBs that have had success in the NFL. And the thing is, more and more members of the pool of QBs entering the league each year are coming out of those systems. It's a big adjustment, there's no doubt.
----------
If the stadium vote in San Diego fails, will Dean Spanos move Chargers to Inglewood stadium?

On the San Diego stadium vote, Inglewood remains an option. But it clearly looks like an option of last resort for Spanos. I wrote about that roughly a year ago, and much has been written and said about it since. Spanos could always choose to stay in San Diego on a year-to-year basis and keep hoping for a solution there. Failing that, I hear St. Louis does not have an NFL team.
-----------
Expanding on your earlier statement that STL is the new LA in terms of leverage-do you think the league's then-professed love of Oakland as a market was a simple matter of expediency in keeping Davis there and getting ESK and his $ to LA, or do they truly want a team there enough to leapfrog that city over STL?

I think the league likes the Oakland market better than the St. Louis market. And the other thing to consider obviously, is that Mark Davis would be happy staying in Oakland with a new stadium. He does not want to be in St. Louis. He made that very clear to me at the owners meetings last March. And at the end of the day, the league can't really coerce an owner to move his teams somewhere he or she doesn't want to be.
----------
Do you think the Chargers would actually consider STL as an option?

Not really.
----------
With regards to the Raiders move to Vegas, what are the remaining hurdles to that becoming a reality? I thought I read where they were asking nearly $700 M in public funds.

giphy.gif

They're asking for $750 million, which I think will come out of a hotel tax. I believe sometime in the next couple of weeks a regional committee will recommend that the state legislature take up and ultimately vote on the issue.
---------
How is the NFL preseason schedule determined. Does the league set the schedule or do teams work it out for themselves? If the latter, what criteria do teams use?

I think to a large degree, it's the NFL's call but with input from individual teams.
---------
How do teams set their practice squad rosters? Do the pick the best player available, give them more options for weak position groups or some other criteria?

As you probably have noticed, the vast majority of players on a team's practice squad are developmental players that were with that same team in camp and the preseason. Often times the positions added to the practice squad are ones where maybe the 53-man roster is a little light. In addition, you always want to add some extra legs at wide receiver and the secondary for practice purposes _ you need some people to help run the scout team.
-------------
Jim, all seems perfect for the NFL right now, with four teams in each division, and four divisions in each conference. Do you see any expansion on the horizon?

The league has shown no appetite towards expansion at this time. Keep in mind, with each expansion team that's added the TV pie gets sliced into that many new pieces. There's also the thought by some that there isn't enough talent around to be spread out to added clubs.

But if the NFL really wanted to expand, they'd find a way to make a schedule work no matter how many teams are in the league. The league for example, got by with a 31-team schedule before the Houston Texans arrived in 2002.
-----------
It seems that JT has left the premises early without saying goodbye. I could keep clicking refresh...but...

200.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nice new formatting style, Prime.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you have a jinx thing going, can you do a story about the lack of recent earthquakes juuuust before Stan's new stadium opens?

Actually, my brother envisioned that several months back. He just doesn't want anyone hurt, and he wants it very localized, so nothing else is damaged. So it's got to happen maybe at 4 a.m. on game day.

What is that? What a shitty thing to say.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

What is that? What a crappy thing to say.

I thought the same thing. How would they feel if someone from L.A. wished another '93 flood on the citizens of St. Louis? Like: "it might wash away their unhealthy obsession with the Rams moving to L.A.".

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Some of those questions were so bad I think I almost contracted Ebola just from reading them.

Thankfully @Prime Time's gifs spared me from a slow painful death.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some of those questions were so bad I think I almost contracted Ebola just from reading them.

Thankfully @Prime Time's gifs spared me from a slow painful death.

Yeah, and the most idiotic ones weren't even posted. I suspect JT is getting sick from these chats as well. He bailed out about an hour early without even a fare-thee-well. Strange.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Two remarkable people who made careers turning the "unthinkable" into reality.

Two NFL Titans: Iconic Moguls, Mavericks
55de17bc028f8.image.jpg
:
-------------------------------------- JEERY AND STAN ! LOL
stan-kroenke.jpg
:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Catching up with Hard Knocks on this side of the pond. Could not believe the Rams gave up all those picks for a guy who'd never taken a snap under centre and never called a play in the huddle. Is there a precedence for QB's so inexperienced in a pro style offence having a great pro career?

just FYI this wasnt me ;)