Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 9/27/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.

giphy.gif

***************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_29?Page=0

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

How does an NFL scouting operation miss so badly on a prospect as the Rams missed on Goff? I mean, maybe he'll come around, but it's so obvious other rookie QBs like Wentz and Prescott were NFL-ready. And just as obvious, I guess, that Goff wasn't.

Well, it's way too early to say that Goff was a miss. But it obviously isn't a good look for the Rams to see all of these other rookie quarterbacks off to good starts and Goff can't get on the field. I've heard pros and cons on Goff. From Mike Martz, who told me he was very impressed with Goff's quick release. . .to someone who was very familiar with what went on at Rams training camp who said Goff lacked leadership skills.
----------
Jim, I appreciate your honesty, but your article on the Rams winning because of TBs mistakes sound like sour grapes. Will you guys bash the LA Rams forever? I became a STL Ram fan quickly, but you guys are relentless with your grudges. GO RAMS.

giphy.gif

Oh, you mean when I wrote about how the Rams played with resiliency, how the undermanned defensive line came up with a huge play on the scoop and score, how Case Keenum made some clutch throws, Tavon Austin flashing his big-play ability, Greg Zuerlein's strong field goal kicking on grass so far this season, Robert Quinn having more forced fumbles than anyone in the NFL since 2012/ Man, that's really some bashing.

You're right. I apologize. And then I point out how there was a busted coverage by Tampa on the Rams' first TD, how a poorly designed blitz doomed Tampa on Austin's score, and how crazy-bad the Bucs' game management was at the end of the game. I admit, making such points constitutes vicious low blows against the Rams.

http://www.thesarcasmdetector.com/
-----------
I sure hope Pharoah Cooper and Spruce make a difference when they start playing because the other rookies sure don't look like difference makers. This draft sure looks like a bad one.

giphy.gif

Cooper and Spruce certainly flashed in the preseason, although it was just the one game for Spruce before his injury. But it may take them a while to get up to NFL regular-season game speed. And if Spruce and Cooper dress, who sits? OK Mike Thomas for one. But after that? Obviously, you don't sit Britt or Austin. Quick is coming off a game in which he caught a touchdown pass. And Marquez is one of the team's top special teams players.
-----------
Three games in, your assessment of the Rams special teams play?

Would like to see more in the return game, although Cunningham had that nice KOR Sunday in Tampa. (The decision to have Austin on the 20 on that last KOR almost backfired in the worst way.) The kicking and punting game work has been excellent.

You'd never know that Zuerlein had struggled on grass surfaces in the past based on his work so far this season. And the coverage units good. Special teams coordinator John Fassel is one of the best in the business.
----------
Did you catch "The Rise and Fall" piece channel 5 put out? Your thoughts?

Yeah, I watched it over the weekend. Frank and the rest of the folks at KSDK did an excellent job. My only quibble is that it would have been great to see Bernie Miklasz interviewed for the piece. He had a front-row seat for the Greatest Show. But anyway, I've always wondered why ESPN never did a 30-for-30 on the Greatest Show. There's certainly a lot to work with. The Cuz piece certainly was 30-for-30 quality.
---------
When can we expect the next "2-Sport Town" podcast?

Thanks for asking. It should be available Wednesday afternoon. We're not taping until tomorrow, but our scheduled guest this week is Dan Dierdorf, who will fill us in on Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, his fellow St. Louis Pro Football Hall of Famer (Orlando Pace), this week's "St. Louis Bowl" _ Cardinals vs. Rams, and more.
--------
What's your parade meter for the Rams this year?

By rule, I never change it once the season starts. (That would be cheating.) So it was established at 6 this year.

giphy.gif

----------
Very painful to watch 2 bad teams like the Rams & Bucs out fumble and out stumble each other. That game was not about winning, but more about who would lose it. More like having a root canal

giphy.gif

Hey, the effort was there. But not always the execution, or the coaching strategy.
----------
Wow, reading the comments on your excellent, honest, fact-based article today, you would think there has never been a critical article written about the rams. Does the new fan base have that thin skin?

I'm surprised as well by the thin skins. Which surprises me, because they have the Rams. Nothing that's said or written in St. Louis will change that. So enjoy them LA. But hey, they're in the honeymoon stage in LA and I get that. A win is a win, no matter how it comes about. But I think I would've written basically the same article had the team still been in St. Louis.

giphy.gif

----------
The Rams passing game seemed to turn a corner, last Sunday. Or was it just the Tampa Bay DBs?

Someone last week mentioned that STL should pursue a CFL team instead of an Arena League team, and I've been thinking the same thing. I've been watching the CFL for a couple of years and following it fairly closely this year and I have to say I've grown to like the style of play better than the NFL, mainly due to better work by the referees and the lack of a headhunting tackling culture that still persists in the NFL.

I know the CFL's "American Experiment" from a couple decades ago didn't end well, but I think St. Louis could be the exception if they wanted to try again given our town's disdain for the NFL right now. And the smaller size of the CFL means that a team could share whatever MLS stadium comes to fruition (and I certainly hope it will).

question-mark-face.gif

Sorry, two questions popped up. So to first answer if the Rams' passing game has turned a corner. . .It was good to see Austin make some plays down field. He needs to be more than just a bubble-screen, quick-toss pass catcher to truly be worth the investment. . . .But I wouldn't call 183 yards passing, plus a pick-6 thrown by Keenum to be turning a corner.

As to the CFL question. . . .Again, I think there's now a rule in place that the CFL can't expand to the U.S. But I'll check on that for you.
-----------
Is there a seating chart out for the Inglewood stadium? I'd like to see where my seats will be.

I believe a survey has been sent out on possible prices at Inglewood, but I'm not aware that it included a seating chart.
----------
What happens vs. Arizona?

7639644.png

Who knows? The league is so unpredictable. I would've never thought the Rams would score 37 in Tampa (Or anywhere based on what we'd seen in the first 2 weeks.) I would've never thought Buffalo smokes Arizona. Or Minnesota wins at Carolina minus Bridgewater and AP.

Or Wentz and Philly wins by 31 _ 31? _ vs. Pittsburgh. Logic says the Cardinals bounced back with a vengeance. Then again, the Cardinals don't seem quite right this year.
-----------
I really like Joyner and Barron playing the hybrid linebacker spots but I can't see those two holding up physically over the long season. Do you see Josh Forrest playing more to help with that problem?

I agree with your assessment. A physical, strong running team would seem to give that hybrid LB alignment big troubles. I thought that might be the case vs. Seattle, but it didn't happen. Partly because of Russell Wilson's ankle problems. But yeah, I think in time Forrest would have to contribute more.
-----------
I have had this debate with a few poeple, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. How do you rate Belichick in the history of coaches? Yes he has had some problems with the league. But can you name another coach that can win with a 3rd string rookie QB? He schemes his way to wins and his game plans are always evolving. I say he's best ever.

giphy.gif

I've got to admit, watching how the Patriots carved up Houston with Brissett _ against a Belichick disciple no less in Bill O'Brien _ was fascinating. And based strictly on the won-loss record and the Super Bowls, Belichick certainly has to be near the very top of the list. But to me, there's always going to be that asterisk, because of the other shenanigans. The illegal taping of a walk-through the day before a Super Bowl, if true, (and Mike Martz is convinced it's true), is no small thing.
-------------
Rams, TB game. Seems like the fix was in.

200w.gif

Again, I'm not a big believer in Oliver Stone theories.
----------
I think the last thing "blocking fullback" "appreciates" is your honesty. Keep telling it like it is and send them to an la rag if they want nice fluffy (demoff-driven) stories.

rfz0hP0.gif

Again, I do realize it's the honeymoon period in LA.
---------
It's a bad look that Goff is on the bench, when the Eagles, Cowboys and Patriots are winning with rookies, especially when the Rams passing game has been so bad but maybe it isn't Goff but the coaches who would've rendered Wentz, Prescott and Bissett bench-worthy, too.

Food for thought. . . .

(Yes, let's throw our future franchise quarterback to the wolves and ruin him because a segment of the fan base is restless.) :deadhorse:
------------
The defensive comeback speaks volumes

What defensive comeback are you talking about? In Rams vs. Tampa Bay? Yes, the Rams got the scoop and score in the 4th quarter. But the Bucs gained 245 yards and scored two TDs in the 4th quarter. Tampa was on the doorstep of a third TD in the 4th quarter and may have scored were it not for probably the most inept end-of-game decision-making I've ever seen.
----------
What is Mannion's long term future with the Rams? He hasn't gotten much of a chance to play, but he certainly looked pretty promising vs. Dallas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAdQLCwKBO8

Well, Dallas was the preseason. And the first game of the preseason. Mannion did look much-improved compared to last year. But the No. 1 overall pick (Goff) is going to get more chances to succeed or fail _ or a better chance _ than the guy you took in the third round.

That's just the way it is. So I think Mannion bides his time. It will probably have to take some combination of poor play and injury for him to get a chance this season
----------
With Goff still having issues with the Playbook, and Keenum being Keenum, what are your thoughts on why they are reluctant to to give Manion a shot?

It's pretty simple, really. Fisher really likes Keenum _ for his energy and his leadership skills. And how do you bench a guy who's 2-1 as a starter? And Goff is the No. 1 overall pick, and a guy you traded a boatload of draft picks to get. They're going to get the first bites of the apple. And maybe the second.
-----------
If the Rams win this weekend, will people finally take them seriously, or will the narrative just be about how the Arizona Cardinals lost it?

If the Rams' defense gives up 245 yards and two TDs in the fourth quarter, and then narrowly escapes allowing a third TD because of some incredibly inept clock and game management at the end by Arizona, the narrative will probably be how Arizona lost it. Just a guess.

giphy.gif

----------
What did Sims do to be ejected? Rams still seem undisciplined and thuggish at times.

Don't know. And didn't have a chance to look at coaches' tape to see if it showed anything. But Sims has had some hotheaded moments in the past, and committed his share of foolish penalties. And for those scoring at home, that's now 3 Rams ejected in 7 preseason and regular season games (Joyner, preseason vs. KC; Donald regular season vs San Francisco, and now Sims.)
----------
The LARams fans wo e jumped on the Rams bandwagon are setting themselves up for a big letdown when the lambs play games against playoff caliber teams not named Seahags. I did not watch the games vesus TB but was not expecting the Lady sheep to play well enough to win based on past experience. Your take?

giphy.gif

History says you're right. But maybe the Rams will make a new history in LA. :)
----------
I sense some cap problems coming in a few years for the Rams. It seems that have handed out some large extensions the last couple of years for players that have not necessarily performed up to those figures so far. it is trending that the Rams will have a couple more large extensions to hand out in a few to keep Donald and Gurley.

Will this cause the Rams to always have one of the youngest rosters so that they can pay most of their players close to the minimum? If so, they will never be able to compete for trophies in my mind. Your thoughts?

Kevin Demoff and Tony Pastoors do a very good job managing the cap. I think the Rams are in excellent cap shape this coming offseason. Keep in mind, the cap has continued to grow each year, more than anticipated.
----------
What are your thoughts on Hill replacing Sensabaugh? I like it, Hill is a good tackler and seems closer to the WR's he is covering than what Sensabaugh showed.

Hill has gotten picked on a fair amount. But he's got some feistiness to him and is a good tackler. I like him better than Sensabaugh back there. But eventually, it may be a healthy E.J. Gaines there anyway.
----------
Why aren't more receivers the point after holders? It seems they have the best hands?

Good question. And don't know what to tell you on that one. But for the most part, the punters and backup QBs have done a pretty good job, don't you think?
---------
I am experiencing a different kind of mental torture this year with the Rams. For at least the past 12 years, I have rooted for them to be successful, and they have laid more eggs than all the Easter bunnies combined. This year I want to root for the players to win but I don't want StanK to make the additional money that an owner will make when his team wins some games and has a dedicated followers. A different kind of torture.

I think he will make enough money just by being in the league. So, it is a different kind of torture. For the last 12 years, all Rams fans would gladly cut off StanK's left arm for a couple ugly wins like the Rams have had the last two weeks. What is a fan to do? How much does Jim Thomas therapy cost?

witch-doctor-head-shrinker.jpg

Many fans are going through the same thing right now. They hold nothing against the players. Therapy by the way, is free of charge and available every Tuesday right here at the Post-Dispatch NFL chat.
---------
Glad they won, but Fisher always seems to pull out enough wins to save his job and I liked Wentz better from the start. Think we made a mistake? I know my Philly friends are happy.

hindsight20.jpg

Gary, I liked Wentz better coming out as well.
---------
when will fisher get his extension on his contract?

giphy.gif

Somehow, I get the feeling it's already agreed to and they simply don't want to announce it.
----------
What is the issue with Rams' OL? The run blocking has been poor. Is it individuals or playing as a unit?-------by LA Troll

With all due respect, just seeing the words LA Troll I'm sure upsets some of our St. Louis participants. So in the future please change that name in order to participate in the chat.

giphy.gif

But for now, I don't think the run-blocking has been as bad as it's looked. Teams are loading the box, and until the Rams start completing more downfield passes _ yes, they did get a couple, three vs. Tampa Bay _ that will continue.

With the recent limitations on practices time and contact during offseason and training camp practice time, I think it takes a little longer league-wide for running games to get going. For example, there were only 7 individuals who rushed for 100 yards over the first two weeks of the season combined. But in Week 3 alone there were eight 100-yard rushers.
---------
I thought the Rams made a bad move by letting go Laurinaitis, but so far he hasn't played very well. Your thoughts?

Just based on what I saw last night vs. Atlanta, he was active early but didn't look like he was running well.
---------
Any thoughts on G Robinson so far this year?

He seems a little bit more consistent, but still having some bad moments. That's my thumbnail. Still gets caught lunging, gets off-balance, and thus has trouble with speed rushers. Looks like the holding penalties have decreased, so far.
---------
What has been the general feel around the league about the impact of moving the Extra Point back and the resulting misses?

I think it's here to stay. It's put just enough uncertainty into the play to make it interesting. I'm sure the kickers hate it, because it puts that much more strain on them _ physically, but especially mentally.

giphy.gif

---------
How would you simplify the rule that determines what is and what isn't a catch?

Tough call. I liked the part about making a "football move" and "completing the football act." That all makes sense to me, and makes sense when I watch plays from the luxury of the press box or on slow-motion on TV. But it's a tougher call on the field. It's a fast-moving game.

And the more you ask game officials to interpret what they see, the more difficult it is to make such split-second judgments. It becomes more subjective. So I don't know how you simplify the rule.
----------
Overall, in the history of NFL football in STL, who would you say was the greatest head coach?

DickVermeil1.jpg

I've got to rate Vermeil as No. 1 because he won a Super Bowl and united a building (at Rams Park), infusing positive energy into what very much was a negative atmosphere. I think you put Don Coryell and Mike Martz (who idolized Coryell growing up) on the medal stand as well.
---------
200.gif

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
On the question about the catch rule, I have an easy solution: If the ground can't cause a fumble then it can't cause an incomplete catch. If a player catches the football, gets a knee (elbow, hip, etc.) down and has possession at that moment, it's a catch. The play ends when the player is downed and so should the act of catching. It really isn't a hard concept.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The best part of this article is @Prime Time additions. By the way, I had posted a comment in a PD article talking about low TV ratings by Dan Caesar. I made the comment he secretly watched the games in the privacy of his bathroom using his Sunday Ticket app. They removed it from the comment section. Dan can dish it out about the Rams but can't take a little ribbing when it comes his way. :boxing:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the question about the catch rule, I have an easy solution: If the ground can't cause a fumble then it can't cause an incomplete catch. If a player catches the football, gets a knee (elbow, hip, etc.) down and has possession at that moment, it's a catch. The play ends when the player is downed and so should the act of catching. It really isn't a hard concept.

why did they introduce the rule where the player must have control of the ball all the way through the process of falling down? there must have been a few contentious calls before that? something must have happened for them to make it a rule?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
why did they introduce the rule where the player must have control of the ball all the way through the process of falling down? there must have been a few contentious calls before that? something must have happened for them to make it a rule?
Wasn't that after Megatron palmed a ball into the ground after a catch and it was overturned by the refs (a few years ago)?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn't that after Megatron palmed a ball into the ground after a catch and it was overturned by the refs (a few years ago)?

no way. seriously? it just opened up a can of worms. i can understand the football move ruling because getting blown up in the process of catching the ball isn't fair on the receiver or the team to call it a fumble. but this controlling the ball through the process of falling down isn't the best rule they came up with.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Ye shall receive the catch in question. Sorry for the poor video quality. Not sure about rest of video after Fox video portion. :hiding:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Coming from a St. Louis fan? JT is completely butthurt. I am ashamed that I share a city with that clown.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.

giphy.gif

***************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_29?Page=0

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

How does an NFL scouting operation miss so badly on a prospect as the Rams missed on Goff? I mean, maybe he'll come around, but it's so obvious other rookie QBs like Wentz and Prescott were NFL-ready. And just as obvious, I guess, that Goff wasn't.

Well, it's way too early to say that Goff was a miss. But it obviously isn't a good look for the Rams to see all of these other rookie quarterbacks off to good starts and Goff can't get on the field. I've heard pros and cons on Goff. From Mike Martz, who told me he was very impressed with Goff's quick release. . .to someone who was very familiar with what went on at Rams training camp who said Goff lacked leadership skills.
----------
Jim, I appreciate your honesty, but your article on the Rams winning because of TBs mistakes sound like sour grapes. Will you guys bash the LA Rams forever? I became a STL Ram fan quickly, but you guys are relentless with your grudges. GO RAMS.

giphy.gif

Oh, you mean when I wrote about how the Rams played with resiliency, how the undermanned defensive line came up with a huge play on the scoop and score, how Case Keenum made some clutch throws, Tavon Austin flashing his big-play ability, Greg Zuerlein's strong field goal kicking on grass so far this season, Robert Quinn having more forced fumbles than anyone in the NFL since 2012/ Man, that's really some bashing.

You're right. I apologize. And then I point out how there was a busted coverage by Tampa on the Rams' first TD, how a poorly designed blitz doomed Tampa on Austin's score, and how crazy-bad the Bucs' game management was at the end of the game. I admit, making such points constitutes vicious low blows against the Rams.

http://www.thesarcasmdetector.com/
-----------
I sure hope Pharoah Cooper and Spruce make a difference when they start playing because the other rookies sure don't look like difference makers. This draft sure looks like a bad one.

giphy.gif

Cooper and Spruce certainly flashed in the preseason, although it was just the one game for Spruce before his injury. But it may take them a while to get up to NFL regular-season game speed. And if Spruce and Cooper dress, who sits? OK Mike Thomas for one. But after that? Obviously, you don't sit Britt or Austin. Quick is coming off a game in which he caught a touchdown pass. And Marquez is one of the team's top special teams players.
-----------
Three games in, your assessment of the Rams special teams play?

Would like to see more in the return game, although Cunningham had that nice KOR Sunday in Tampa. (The decision to have Austin on the 20 on that last KOR almost backfired in the worst way.) The kicking and punting game work has been excellent.

You'd never know that Zuerlein had struggled on grass surfaces in the past based on his work so far this season. And the coverage units good. Special teams coordinator John Fassel is one of the best in the business.
----------
Did you catch "The Rise and Fall" piece channel 5 put out? Your thoughts?

Yeah, I watched it over the weekend. Frank and the rest of the folks at KSDK did an excellent job. My only quibble is that it would have been great to see Bernie Miklasz interviewed for the piece. He had a front-row seat for the Greatest Show. But anyway, I've always wondered why ESPN never did a 30-for-30 on the Greatest Show. There's certainly a lot to work with. The Cuz piece certainly was 30-for-30 quality.
---------
When can we expect the next "2-Sport Town" podcast?

Thanks for asking. It should be available Wednesday afternoon. We're not taping until tomorrow, but our scheduled guest this week is Dan Dierdorf, who will fill us in on Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, his fellow St. Louis Pro Football Hall of Famer (Orlando Pace), this week's "St. Louis Bowl" _ Cardinals vs. Rams, and more.
--------
What's your parade meter for the Rams this year?

By rule, I never change it once the season starts. (That would be cheating.) So it was established at 6 this year.

giphy.gif

----------
Very painful to watch 2 bad teams like the Rams & Bucs out fumble and out stumble each other. That game was not about winning, but more about who would lose it. More like having a root canal

giphy.gif

Hey, the effort was there. But not always the execution, or the coaching strategy.
----------
Wow, reading the comments on your excellent, honest, fact-based article today, you would think there has never been a critical article written about the rams. Does the new fan base have that thin skin?

I'm surprised as well by the thin skins. Which surprises me, because they have the Rams. Nothing that's said or written in St. Louis will change that. So enjoy them LA. But hey, they're in the honeymoon stage in LA and I get that. A win is a win, no matter how it comes about. But I think I would've written basically the same article had the team still been in St. Louis.

giphy.gif

----------
The Rams passing game seemed to turn a corner, last Sunday. Or was it just the Tampa Bay DBs?

Someone last week mentioned that STL should pursue a CFL team instead of an Arena League team, and I've been thinking the same thing. I've been watching the CFL for a couple of years and following it fairly closely this year and I have to say I've grown to like the style of play better than the NFL, mainly due to better work by the referees and the lack of a headhunting tackling culture that still persists in the NFL.

I know the CFL's "American Experiment" from a couple decades ago didn't end well, but I think St. Louis could be the exception if they wanted to try again given our town's disdain for the NFL right now. And the smaller size of the CFL means that a team could share whatever MLS stadium comes to fruition (and I certainly hope it will).

question-mark-face.gif

Sorry, two questions popped up. So to first answer if the Rams' passing game has turned a corner. . .It was good to see Austin make some plays down field. He needs to be more than just a bubble-screen, quick-toss pass catcher to truly be worth the investment. . . .But I wouldn't call 183 yards passing, plus a pick-6 thrown by Keenum to be turning a corner.

As to the CFL question. . . .Again, I think there's now a rule in place that the CFL can't expand to the U.S. But I'll check on that for you.
-----------
Is there a seating chart out for the Inglewood stadium? I'd like to see where my seats will be.

I believe a survey has been sent out on possible prices at Inglewood, but I'm not aware that it included a seating chart.
----------
What happens vs. Arizona?

7639644.png

Who knows? The league is so unpredictable. I would've never thought the Rams would score 37 in Tampa (Or anywhere based on what we'd seen in the first 2 weeks.) I would've never thought Buffalo smokes Arizona. Or Minnesota wins at Carolina minus Bridgewater and AP.

Or Wentz and Philly wins by 31 _ 31? _ vs. Pittsburgh. Logic says the Cardinals bounced back with a vengeance. Then again, the Cardinals don't seem quite right this year.
-----------
I really like Joyner and Barron playing the hybrid linebacker spots but I can't see those two holding up physically over the long season. Do you see Josh Forrest playing more to help with that problem?

I agree with your assessment. A physical, strong running team would seem to give that hybrid LB alignment big troubles. I thought that might be the case vs. Seattle, but it didn't happen. Partly because of Russell Wilson's ankle problems. But yeah, I think in time Forrest would have to contribute more.
-----------
I have had this debate with a few poeple, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. How do you rate Belichick in the history of coaches? Yes he has had some problems with the league. But can you name another coach that can win with a 3rd string rookie QB? He schemes his way to wins and his game plans are always evolving. I say he's best ever.

giphy.gif

I've got to admit, watching how the Patriots carved up Houston with Brissett _ against a Belichick disciple no less in Bill O'Brien _ was fascinating. And based strictly on the won-loss record and the Super Bowls, Belichick certainly has to be near the very top of the list. But to me, there's always going to be that asterisk, because of the other shenanigans. The illegal taping of a walk-through the day before a Super Bowl, if true, (and Mike Martz is convinced it's true), is no small thing.
-------------
Rams, TB game. Seems like the fix was in.

200w.gif

Again, I'm not a big believer in Oliver Stone theories.
----------
I think the last thing "blocking fullback" "appreciates" is your honesty. Keep telling it like it is and send them to an la rag if they want nice fluffy (demoff-driven) stories.

rfz0hP0.gif

Again, I do realize it's the honeymoon period in LA.
---------
It's a bad look that Goff is on the bench, when the Eagles, Cowboys and Patriots are winning with rookies, especially when the Rams passing game has been so bad but maybe it isn't Goff but the coaches who would've rendered Wentz, Prescott and Bissett bench-worthy, too.

Food for thought. . . .

(Yes, let's throw our future franchise quarterback to the wolves and ruin him because a segment of the fan base is restless.) :deadhorse:
------------
The defensive comeback speaks volumes

What defensive comeback are you talking about? In Rams vs. Tampa Bay? Yes, the Rams got the scoop and score in the 4th quarter. But the Bucs gained 245 yards and scored two TDs in the 4th quarter. Tampa was on the doorstep of a third TD in the 4th quarter and may have scored were it not for probably the most inept end-of-game decision-making I've ever seen.
----------
What is Mannion's long term future with the Rams? He hasn't gotten much of a chance to play, but he certainly looked pretty promising vs. Dallas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAdQLCwKBO8

Well, Dallas was the preseason. And the first game of the preseason. Mannion did look much-improved compared to last year. But the No. 1 overall pick (Goff) is going to get more chances to succeed or fail _ or a better chance _ than the guy you took in the third round.

That's just the way it is. So I think Mannion bides his time. It will probably have to take some combination of poor play and injury for him to get a chance this season
----------
With Goff still having issues with the Playbook, and Keenum being Keenum, what are your thoughts on why they are reluctant to to give Manion a shot?

It's pretty simple, really. Fisher really likes Keenum _ for his energy and his leadership skills. And how do you bench a guy who's 2-1 as a starter? And Goff is the No. 1 overall pick, and a guy you traded a boatload of draft picks to get. They're going to get the first bites of the apple. And maybe the second.
-----------
If the Rams win this weekend, will people finally take them seriously, or will the narrative just be about how the Arizona Cardinals lost it?

If the Rams' defense gives up 245 yards and two TDs in the fourth quarter, and then narrowly escapes allowing a third TD because of some incredibly inept clock and game management at the end by Arizona, the narrative will probably be how Arizona lost it. Just a guess.

giphy.gif

----------
What did Sims do to be ejected? Rams still seem undisciplined and thuggish at times.

Don't know. And didn't have a chance to look at coaches' tape to see if it showed anything. But Sims has had some hotheaded moments in the past, and committed his share of foolish penalties. And for those scoring at home, that's now 3 Rams ejected in 7 preseason and regular season games (Joyner, preseason vs. KC; Donald regular season vs San Francisco, and now Sims.)
----------
The LARams fans wo e jumped on the Rams bandwagon are setting themselves up for a big letdown when the lambs play games against playoff caliber teams not named Seahags. I did not watch the games vesus TB but was not expecting the Lady sheep to play well enough to win based on past experience. Your take?

giphy.gif

History says you're right. But maybe the Rams will make a new history in LA. :)
----------
I sense some cap problems coming in a few years for the Rams. It seems that have handed out some large extensions the last couple of years for players that have not necessarily performed up to those figures so far. it is trending that the Rams will have a couple more large extensions to hand out in a few to keep Donald and Gurley.

Will this cause the Rams to always have one of the youngest rosters so that they can pay most of their players close to the minimum? If so, they will never be able to compete for trophies in my mind. Your thoughts?

Kevin Demoff and Tony Pastoors do a very good job managing the cap. I think the Rams are in excellent cap shape this coming offseason. Keep in mind, the cap has continued to grow each year, more than anticipated.
----------
What are your thoughts on Hill replacing Sensabaugh? I like it, Hill is a good tackler and seems closer to the WR's he is covering than what Sensabaugh showed.

Hill has gotten picked on a fair amount. But he's got some feistiness to him and is a good tackler. I like him better than Sensabaugh back there. But eventually, it may be a healthy E.J. Gaines there anyway.
----------
Why aren't more receivers the point after holders? It seems they have the best hands?

Good question. And don't know what to tell you on that one. But for the most part, the punters and backup QBs have done a pretty good job, don't you think?
---------
I am experiencing a different kind of mental torture this year with the Rams. For at least the past 12 years, I have rooted for them to be successful, and they have laid more eggs than all the Easter bunnies combined. This year I want to root for the players to win but I don't want StanK to make the additional money that an owner will make when his team wins some games and has a dedicated followers. A different kind of torture.

I think he will make enough money just by being in the league. So, it is a different kind of torture. For the last 12 years, all Rams fans would gladly cut off StanK's left arm for a couple ugly wins like the Rams have had the last two weeks. What is a fan to do? How much does Jim Thomas therapy cost?

witch-doctor-head-shrinker.jpg

Many fans are going through the same thing right now. They hold nothing against the players. Therapy by the way, is free of charge and available every Tuesday right here at the Post-Dispatch NFL chat.
---------
Glad they won, but Fisher always seems to pull out enough wins to save his job and I liked Wentz better from the start. Think we made a mistake? I know my Philly friends are happy.

hindsight20.jpg

Gary, I liked Wentz better coming out as well.
---------
when will fisher get his extension on his contract?

giphy.gif

Somehow, I get the feeling it's already agreed to and they simply don't want to announce it.
----------
What is the issue with Rams' OL? The run blocking has been poor. Is it individuals or playing as a unit?-------by LA Troll

With all due respect, just seeing the words LA Troll I'm sure upsets some of our St. Louis participants. So in the future please change that name in order to participate in the chat.

giphy.gif

But for now, I don't think the run-blocking has been as bad as it's looked. Teams are loading the box, and until the Rams start completing more downfield passes _ yes, they did get a couple, three vs. Tampa Bay _ that will continue.

With the recent limitations on practices time and contact during offseason and training camp practice time, I think it takes a little longer league-wide for running games to get going. For example, there were only 7 individuals who rushed for 100 yards over the first two weeks of the season combined. But in Week 3 alone there were eight 100-yard rushers.
---------
I thought the Rams made a bad move by letting go Laurinaitis, but so far he hasn't played very well. Your thoughts?

Just based on what I saw last night vs. Atlanta, he was active early but didn't look like he was running well.
---------
Any thoughts on G Robinson so far this year?

He seems a little bit more consistent, but still having some bad moments. That's my thumbnail. Still gets caught lunging, gets off-balance, and thus has trouble with speed rushers. Looks like the holding penalties have decreased, so far.
---------
What has been the general feel around the league about the impact of moving the Extra Point back and the resulting misses?

I think it's here to stay. It's put just enough uncertainty into the play to make it interesting. I'm sure the kickers hate it, because it puts that much more strain on them _ physically, but especially mentally.

giphy.gif

---------
How would you simplify the rule that determines what is and what isn't a catch?

Tough call. I liked the part about making a "football move" and "completing the football act." That all makes sense to me, and makes sense when I watch plays from the luxury of the press box or on slow-motion on TV. But it's a tougher call on the field. It's a fast-moving game.

And the more you ask game officials to interpret what they see, the more difficult it is to make such split-second judgments. It becomes more subjective. So I don't know how you simplify the rule.
----------
Overall, in the history of NFL football in STL, who would you say was the greatest head coach?

DickVermeil1.jpg

I've got to rate Vermeil as No. 1 because he won a Super Bowl and united a building (at Rams Park), infusing positive energy into what very much was a negative atmosphere. I think you put Don Coryell and Mike Martz (who idolized Coryell growing up) on the medal stand as well.
---------
200.gif

As usual the "Like " I give this is for your input Prime!! I Really did try to read some of this stuff, But became Ill!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was hilarious how butthurt JT got when questioned about his belief that the Bucs lost this game, instead of the Rams winning it (and that he was hating on the Rams)...He spent a whole paragraph in passive aggressive mode, mocking the fan;'s question, when it came to brass tacks, it's exactly what he said (Bucs lost and the Rams didn't really win)..He never mentioned the prevent defense with an 11 point lead, which Fisher always does if in that position..as it turned out, yards were junk yards and a TD...If we had played our normal defense, who knows? But the question DEFINITELY struck a nerve, lol.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
JT isn't the only one. I turned my tv on with BSPN on (from MNF) and that one show with the 4 loudmouths on screen at once was on. The question was if the Falcons' win meant something? WTF? Why in the hell are WINS being questioned?

tumblr_n42tr2XxMc1tu7965o1_400.gif

But if, you do the UNTHINKABLE and lose a hard fought football game...

hqg-418.gif

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
PT, thanks for the good breakdown and hilarious memes as always into the JT chat. Entertaining as hell!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Ye shall receive the catch in question. Sorry for the poor video quality. Not sure about rest of video after Fox video portion. :hiding:

Zero sympathy for Johnson on this one. That was a good call. You have to show you have possession. This was in the "I'm too cool to pull the ball into my chest" category. He lost the ball. It doesn't look cool when you drop the ball. No touchdown.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JT isn't the only one. I turned my tv on with BSPN on (from MNF) and that one show with the 4 loudmouths on screen at once was on. The question was if the Falcons' win meant something? WTF? Why in the hell are WINS being questioned?

Maybe because such teams as the Rams, Browns, and Falcons have a long history of losing and the sports media types are shocked when they win a game and look for reasons, other than a good team effort for their getting a win. It works against their narrative whenever the Rams beat someone other than teams in their own division. "Well Fisher always gets the team up for games against division rivals. No surprise there."

On the other hand, a team like the Patriots when they lose, the media comes unglued and looks for reasons other than the team having a lousy game. It's lazy thinking. Like before the season begins, the sports media types pick all the same teams to have winning seasons and all the usually lousy teams to have losing seasons. When that doesn't work out it makes them look bad, like they don't know what they're talking about.

Season after season of winning football will get the Rams the respect they want from the media. That's the only cure for the Negative Nancys.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe because such teams as the Rams, Browns, and Falcons have a long history of losing and the sports media types are shocked when they win a game and look for reasons, other than a good team effort for their getting a win. It works against their narrative whenever the Rams beat someone other than teams in their own division. "Well Fisher always gets the team up for games against division rivals. No surprise there."

On the other hand, a team like the Patriots when they lose, the media comes unglued and looks for reasons other than the team having a lousy game. It's lazy thinking. Like before the season begins, the sports media types pick all the same teams to have winning seasons and all the usually lousy teams to have losing seasons. When that doesn't work out it makes them look bad, like they don't know what they're talking about.

Season after season of winning football will get the Rams the respect they want from the media. That's the only cure for the Negative Nancys.

But that right there isn't even an option now. It's not what the team that won did, it's what the other team did to lose. Suddenly wins are being questioned, and after a loss the damn sky is falling.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When we go to the playoffs:yess::banana::yay:...there are gonna be come coronary situations going on:death:....:mrburnsevil::rolllaugh: