Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 8/30/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.
***********************************************************************************
giphy.gif

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_25?Page=0

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

After game 3 what is your honest opinion on the Rams upcoming season? Without a good look at #30 and #11, it's been hard for me to judge the progress or lack of.

Case Keenum has played pretty well in the preseason, better than I thought he would. Jared Goff still looks a little lost to me _ not as far along as I thought he would be at this time. I thought the defense played very well in Denver, although the first-teamers were out there for only a couple, three series.

Cornerback looks like a concern, especially with E.J. Gaines being constantly nicked up during camp/preseason. I don't think this team has as much depth as some recent editions, so they can't afford too many injuries.
-------------
Can you see the Rams signing a veteran WR that may be cut by another team?

Always possible. And I noticed that James Jones is officially on the market.

giphy.gif

-----------
Think the rams go with 5 or 6 receivers?

Fisher usually goes with five. But because of the injury situation with Spruce and Cooper, I could see them going with six _ at least early in the season.
----------
What are the chances that WR Brian Quick makes the 53 man roster?

Could be wrong, but I don't think the Rams have many other options at this point.
----------
Tavon Austin has never surpassed 500 yards receiving in a single season. The Rams realize that, right?

I know what you're saying. I'll be curious to see how the money breaks down when the contract is filed with the NFL Players Association. Sometimes the reality of these contracts is different than what's announced. I also realize that the price of signing players only goes up. The Rams want to sign some of their core players and have decided that Austin is part of that core.

What seems like an outlandish contract now, may not seem that way in four or five years. But even saying all that, Austin is being paid like a No. 1 receiver and despite his moments of electric plays isn't anywhere close to a No. 1 receiver. Very interesting to see how Boras/Groh use him this season.

giphy.gif

-----------
Is it weird for you that you have not stepped foot in Rams Park in months after being in that building for so many years.

I've been keeping busy so haven't had too much time to think about it. But yes, after 21 years of a certain routine it has been different not being at Rams Park this time of year. A part of me misses watching practice every day.
---------
How did we lose out on a expansion team in the early 90's

Here's the Cliff notes version. The expansion process dragged out so long, that the expansion fee grew to a point where it was out of range for Jerry Clinton, the area beer distributor who was heading the St. Louis effort. James Busch Orthwein, from _ yes _ THAT Busch family, was brought in late as the money man. Clinton held the stadium lease, but didn't have the money to finish out the expansion process. Orthwein had the money, but didn't have the lease. Clinton wanted the power to run the franchise; Orthwein said if I have the money I want final say.

That split couldn't get resolved in time _ Carolina got the first expansion team. After a month's delay _ designed to give St. Louis time to get its act together _ the second expansion team was awarded to Jacksonville, which had dropped out of the expansion derby earlier in the process, but was talked into staying in the race by then NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.
------------
Jim, in your opinion would Keenum be able to start for one other team in the NFL?

giphy.gif

Well, let's see. Maybe Cleveland, maybe Houston. San Francisco.
-------------
Will Colin K make the 49ers?

It was interesting that Chip Kelly said Kaepernick currently is among the team's top two quarterbacks, which would indicate that yes, he makes the 49ers' final 53. But Kelly also said he doesn't have say over who makes the final roster. So make of that what you will.
----------
Have the Arizona Cardinals made any effort to capture an audience in STL?

Not that I'm aware of.
---------
Back to back games against sf and sea to open should either expose this team or prove they are finally ready to turn the corner. Doesn't 0-2 or 2-0 kinda set the tone in your opinion?

Keep in mind, Fisher's Rams have generally done their best work in the division, and struggled outside the division. With that track record, the worst you want to be after Week 2 is 1-1.
------------
Rams on the path to another 6 or fewer wins season! Defense will be worse with the defection on some key pieces. Offense will still be bad, with no real QB and a poor receiving core. Finally, they have hamstrung the cap with the TA signing.

Let's go Chiefs

giphy.gif

We'll see. I came away from my weekend in Irvine at the start of camp thinking they looked like a five or six win team. But they've actually played a little better in the preseason than I thought they would, particularly on offense. And keep in mind, even with the Tavon Austin extension, they should have plenty of money this offseason. I'm wondering if LB Alec Ogletree is the next player due an extension.
-----------
Jim, you're a diligent man. A part of you must despise what this forum has descended into. It's now only 5% football... and the rest cryin' on your shoulder. I've always enjoyed your work, and will continue to read your columns. But this may be my FINAL forum. There's not much of substance here.

giphy.gif

Thanks for checking in, and best of luck to you.
----------
Putting aside London, do you see even a glimmer of light at the end of this dark tunnel that suggests a team (like the Jags) could end up in St. Louis in the next 5 years?

I don't see anything happening over the next five years.
---------
Based upon what I see the Rams offensive game plan this year will be Gurley, Gurley, Gurley, punt.

giphy.gif

No. 30 certainly will get a lot of work. But the Rams need to pass the ball more effectively to get over the hump.
---------
Also, what was Snead's comment about 'pairing Austin with #30 and our tight ends' all about? What marvelous receiving tight ends do they have?

I have always thought Kendricks was underutilized. And the Rams seem to be very high on draft pick Tyler Higbee, but he has had durability issues in the past.
---------
Is Tony Romo's injury the least surprising development of the NFL preseason? The only person who didn't see this coming was Jerry Jones.

giphy.gif

Just the third play of the game for Romo, and it wasn't really a hard hit. Avril was trying to knock the ball out, not hammer Romo. If Prescotts continue to play like he has so far this preseason, maybe Romo's absence won't matter much. But Jerry Jones and the Cowboys front office did seem late to the party when it came to finding a possible successor or at least a competent backup.
-----------
You picking the Cardinals to take the NFC West?

I think you have to pick the Cardinals in the West with Seattle nipping at their heels.
----------
How do you see the rams DL shaking out? Longacre sure looks like a keeper.

PI-NFL-Rams-Christian-Bryant-090615.jpg

Fisher always seems to keep an extra defensive linemen or two on the final roster. So I'd be surprised if Longacre doesn't make the team. That could make five DEs _ Quinn, Hayes, Sims, Westbrooks, and Longacre.

Unless I'm missing something, I see only three DTs right now on the final 53 in Donald, Brockers, and Easley. But keep in mind, Hayes usually slides inside on passing downs and Westbrooks can play inside as well.
-----------
What were the draft picks the Rams gave up to get Goff?

The Rams gave up a first-round, third-round, and two second-round picks in the 2016 draft, plus their first _ and third-rounders in 2017 in exchange for the Titans' first_, fourth-, and sixth-rounders in 2016.
----------
Who will the Rams lock up next, tru, donald

I think Johnson, Donald, and Ogletree are all in the on-deck circle so to speak.
----------
It will be fascinating to watch the Rams train wreck unfold in LA. The LA RAMS fans have no idea what is in store for them. I kind of feel bad but not really.

giphy.gif

We'll see. You don't really wish the LA Rams fans 12 straight non-winning seasons do you? Or a five-year stretch of 15-65?
---------
comments on Goff's game 3 play? Also how did Mannion do? seems like he was playing with the 2nd and 3rd string lines.

I've only been able to watch the first half of the Denver game so far, so can't speak on Mannion. I'm sure he was operating behind the second_ and third-teamers though. Goff seemed like he looked a little more poised, but 4 for 12 is 4 for 12, and he was lucky that wasn't a pick 6 by ex-Ram Darian Stewart.
---------
Any word on what will become of the Dome? Cant see it being used for soccer, just maybe they leave it as is, and another team with stadium issues has a place to move?

Don't think it's going anywhere. As the months and years go by without NFL football, I'll be curious to see if it's being used more often for conventions, trade shows, concerts, etc. as the convention center people seemed to indicate would be the case once the Rams left.

With the high school football playoffs not in St. Louis this year _ I think they're in Springfield, Mo. _ and with no Missouri-Illinois or Gateway Classic game, the only football game in the building this season may have been the Legends of the Dome game!
---------
What is your favorite NFL venue in which to cover a game and why, please.

Without a doubt it remains Lambeau Field, because of the history, the tradition, the success of the Green Bay franchise. Although I will say it's lost a little of its charm due to recent renovations. But the atmosphere around the stadium on game day is fantastic, from the Cheeseheads to the hunter's orange later in the season. If I was a burglar, I think I'd operate in Green Bay on a Packers game day.

giphy.gif

I'd give the silver medal to CenturyLink Field in Seattle. Game in and game out, it's the noisiest venue in the league with all those over-caffeinated 12s. (There's literally a Starbucks or Tully's on every corner.)

tumblr_o8mxu5D1t91ttn6aro1_1280.jpg

The bronze medal goes to Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City _ home of tailgate heaven and the Sea of Red.

giphy.gif

Honorable mention to University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona. It took the Bidwills 20 years to get their stadium, but when they finally got it, they did it right. Logistically, the setup is very convenient to the media. And throughout the stadium, they pay homage to their gridiron past in St. Louis, and local football history at all levels. Very well done.
---------
Jim, I wish the LA Rams fans all the successes we have enjoyed in the past decade. May they replicate every single one.

There you have it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4-gLlF0uw

----------
Apparently Teddy Bridgewater was hurt pretty badly today. That's not good for the Vikings. Can AP throw the ball?

Yeah, I just heard that a few minutes ago on Bridgewater. First indications are that it could be serious, although I haven't been able to check the news wires while I've been on this chat. What a blow that would be if he was seriously hurt. I've talked to scouts who think very highly of the Vikings, think they could be a Super Bowl contender.

(I'll check for you, Jim)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...idgewater-suffers-apparent-injury-in-practice
----------
Jim, does Fisher have the pottiest mouth, so to speak, compared to other Rams coaches? Watching hard knocks, every other word is the F word. Nothing new for hard knocks but Fisher and Co seem to use it 10 times more than others.

1tvjvl.jpg

Oh, I think he's pretty much mainstream on that. Mike Martz, for example, could cuss up a storm when riled up.
----------
Are the Chiefs Super Bowl contenders? And what are the chances the Chiefs stay on television in the STL area for all 16 games?

Yes, I think they are. Denver's not going to be the same with Siemian, Lynch, or even Sanchez this year. New England has to go one fourth of the season without Brady. Maybe the Steelers make a push if they can stay healthy. But the Chiefs as you saw just got Eric Berry under contract.

Hali and Charles should be ready for the opener. They are a very, very solid club with a very good coach in Reid. As for Chiefs games on regular-season TV, not sure. Depends on the ratings...
---------
Jim, I know as a journalist, you're not supposed to have a rooting interest. But, are there any teams you might follow closer than others going forward?

I'm sure I'll still be keeping my eye on the Rams, but I have always liked the Packers and Steelers, so I'll probably be watching them on Sunday Ticket more.

Our plans are to spend more time covering the teams nearest St. Louis _ Kansas City, Chicago, Indy, Tennessee. We'll still have some Rams coverage as well.
---------
Seems like Goff has a durability issue in addition to having bad pocket awareness. The pressure will be on the Rams to show off their new QB...do you think they may cave in before Goff is ready?

Goff has a slender frame, and if you put the truth serum in Jeff Fisher, I think you'd find a coach who's concerned about keeping his quarterback healthy. Already this preseason, Goff was pulled out of the opener when his shoulder got dinged.

He had X-rays after the Denver game for a tailbone/back issue. Hard to say on when Goff makes his debut. To a degree, it depends on how Keenum is playing _ and he's played pretty well this preseason. But also the won-list record will influence the decision.
----------
Rather have a 15-65 team than no team and apparently so would all the people so upset the rams moved.

I call it the bad pizza theory. Even bad pizza is better than no pizza.

242673.gif

---------
I have been to games at every NFL city through the years and the one thing that always struck me over the years the Rams were here was the lack of any sustained, interesting, unique attempt at involving the fans before, during and after the games. It seems every other team had some sort of clever, unique way to interact with the fans while the Rams had a shopping cart-catching-football-on-a-parachute game that went on for years, fairly lame halftime shows and nothing post-game.

Other venues had pre-game shows (Seattle 12th man and the Baltimore marching band for example) and halftime shows that got the fans early and kept them in their seats. Now I totally understand that we are all their for a football game, but it's like they never made an attempt to actually connect the team to the fans at the one place they had an opportunity to do so. You've been to them all, your thoughts?

There's some merit to what you're saying although I thought the Rams' game-day presentation improved over the years. But some of the things they tried were pretty lame, like having the guy on the scoreboard video _ was it a pro wrestler? _ telling the fans when they should clap. I think if there had been more tailgate areas around the dome it would've helped the entire game-day experience, but much of that space was gobbled up once Lumiere Place came into being.
---------
Hey Jim is Lamarcus Joyner helping this team? I am not a fan

I really liked Joyner coming out of college and he's an interesting person to talk to, very sincere and passionate about the game. But at this point, I'd have to say I was expecting more from him on the field. This is his third NFL season, and usually if you don't see it in season No. 3, it's not going to happen with an NFL player. So this is a key year for him.
----------
Goff does not look like a #1 Draft pick to me! Does he to you?

Not at this point. But that can change.

(Come on man. Goff has played sparingly in three preseason games. And this "He doesn't look like a #1 draft pick" crap begins already. Give the man a chance to develop. Lots of NFL QB's bloomed late in their careers. There's an interesting article on this topic at the link below).

http://www.footballperspective.com/how-long-does-it-take-great-quarterbacks-to-break-out/
------------
What's your take on Kaepernick's protest? Tempest in a teapot? I think we can mostly agree that he's a bit misguided, but what does he hope to accomplish? It doesn't have the same impact when the message is delivered by a 2nd tier player IMHO.

I haven't given it a ton of thought. But I am glad we live in a country where you have the freedom to offer an opinion, even if it's one you may not necessarily agree with. And this is coming from someone who has two Army officers went to West Point knowing they might die for their country in the line of service.

NFL players have a lot of free time in the offseason. And Kaepernick has a lot of money. I'm just wondering if he will actually try to do something about the issue? For example, Aeneas Williams is a preacher in Ferguson, he engages the community and at least in involved in dialogue on the issue and trying to make things better.

Aeneas-Williams.jpg

---------
Who was the former Rams you thought had the most potential but their career was cut short by injury?

Tight end Ernie Conwell was strong and fast, and had a horrific knee injury, I believe, in '98. Now, he did play for several seasons with the Rams and New Orleans, but it would've been interesting to see what would have happened were it not for the injury. The same holds for Sam Bradford, whom I wrote about Monday after catching up with him in Indy. He was playing some of his best football before both of his knee injuries. I know there were other issues involved, but he did lose 1 1/2 seasons of his career.

And let's not forget about Trent Green and what he might have been able to accomplish in 1999 where it not for that fateful preseason game with San Diego and Rodney Harrison crashing into the back of his leg with a hit that didn't have to be made.
-------
Who were you least favorite Rams players you ever had to deal with? Favorites?

Lawrence Phillips was a headache on multiple levels. As for favorites, too many to mention from Isaac Bruce to Leonard Little, D'Marco Farr, Toby Wright, Warner, Holt, Laurinaitis, William Hayes and on and on. . . .
----------
giphy.gif

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It will be fascinating to watch the Rams train wreck unfold in LA. The LA RAMS fans have no idea what is in store for them. I kind of feel bad but not really.

I understand the anger. But I wonder if that wasn't the feeling among L.A. fans back in 1995? The Rams ended up as Muhamed Ali might say "Champs of the World!!" less than 5 years after the move. They had 'that terrible dance hall girl' for an owner, a flunky lawyer as team president and Ziggie as their personel man/GM. Of course they couldn't sustain the success after that short run. Now they have an owner who spent his own money to build what could be the Taj Mahal of sports stadiums. Their practice facility and team headquarters will probably be equally opulent. And if Fisher doesn't get them to the promised land, he'll bring in somebody who will. For those reasons I think that particular St. Louis fan is setting himself up for huge disappointment. But he'll always have 99 and TGSOT. Like the older ballplayers are apt to say upon earning a Championship win, "they can't take that away from you". Of course they can move it to a display case in California but they can't really 'take it away'. It's funny how we fans seem to forget, like umpires or officials, the game is not about them. It's for their entertainment but it's not about them.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I understand the anger. But I wonder if that wasn't the feeling among L.A. fans back in 1995?

It was; go back and look at the "Letters to the Editors" in the local newspapers. Just did not have pervasive Internet (i.e. instant ant and global sharing).

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.
***********************************************************************************
giphy.gif

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_25?Page=0

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

After game 3 what is your honest opinion on the Rams upcoming season? Without a good look at #30 and #11, it's been hard for me to judge the progress or lack of.

Case Keenum has played pretty well in the preseason, better than I thought he would. Jared Goff still looks a little lost to me _ not as far along as I thought he would be at this time. I thought the defense played very well in Denver, although the first-teamers were out there for only a couple, three series.

Cornerback looks like a concern, especially with E.J. Gaines being constantly nicked up during camp/preseason. I don't think this team has as much depth as some recent editions, so they can't afford too many injuries.
-------------
Can you see the Rams signing a veteran WR that may be cut by another team?

Always possible. And I noticed that James Jones is officially on the market.

giphy.gif

-----------
Think the rams go with 5 or 6 receivers?

Fisher usually goes with five. But because of the injury situation with Spruce and Cooper, I could see them going with six _ at least early in the season.
----------
What are the chances that WR Brian Quick makes the 53 man roster?

Could be wrong, but I don't think the Rams have many other options at this point.
----------
Tavon Austin has never surpassed 500 yards receiving in a single season. The Rams realize that, right?

I know what you're saying. I'll be curious to see how the money breaks down when the contract is filed with the NFL Players Association. Sometimes the reality of these contracts is different than what's announced. I also realize that the price of signing players only goes up. The Rams want to sign some of their core players and have decided that Austin is part of that core.

What seems like an outlandish contract now, may not seem that way in four or five years. But even saying all that, Austin is being paid like a No. 1 receiver and despite his moments of electric plays isn't anywhere close to a No. 1 receiver. Very interesting to see how Boras/Groh use him this season.

giphy.gif

-----------
Is it weird for you that you have not stepped foot in Rams Park in months after being in that building for so many years.

I've been keeping busy so haven't had too much time to think about it. But yes, after 21 years of a certain routine it has been different not being at Rams Park this time of year. A part of me misses watching practice every day.
---------
How did we lose out on a expansion team in the early 90's

Here's the Cliff notes version. The expansion process dragged out so long, that the expansion fee grew to a point where it was out of range for Jerry Clinton, the area beer distributor who was heading the St. Louis effort. James Busch Orthwein, from _ yes _ THAT Busch family, was brought in late as the money man. Clinton held the stadium lease, but didn't have the money to finish out the expansion process. Orthwein had the money, but didn't have the lease. Clinton wanted the power to run the franchise; Orthwein said if I have the money I want final say.

That split couldn't get resolved in time _ Carolina got the first expansion team. After a month's delay _ designed to give St. Louis time to get its act together _ the second expansion team was awarded to Jacksonville, which had dropped out of the expansion derby earlier in the process, but was talked into staying in the race by then NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.
------------
Jim, in your opinion would Keenum be able to start for one other team in the NFL?

giphy.gif

Well, let's see. Maybe Cleveland, maybe Houston. San Francisco.
-------------
Will Colin K make the 49ers?

It was interesting that Chip Kelly said Kaepernick currently is among the team's top two quarterbacks, which would indicate that yes, he makes the 49ers' final 53. But Kelly also said he doesn't have say over who makes the final roster. So make of that what you will.
----------
Have the Arizona Cardinals made any effort to capture an audience in STL?

Not that I'm aware of.
---------
Back to back games against sf and sea to open should either expose this team or prove they are finally ready to turn the corner. Doesn't 0-2 or 2-0 kinda set the tone in your opinion?

Keep in mind, Fisher's Rams have generally done their best work in the division, and struggled outside the division. With that track record, the worst you want to be after Week 2 is 1-1.
------------
Rams on the path to another 6 or fewer wins season! Defense will be worse with the defection on some key pieces. Offense will still be bad, with no real QB and a poor receiving core. Finally, they have hamstrung the cap with the TA signing.

Let's go Chiefs

giphy.gif

We'll see. I came away from my weekend in Irvine at the start of camp thinking they looked like a five or six win team. But they've actually played a little better in the preseason than I thought they would, particularly on offense. And keep in mind, even with the Tavon Austin extension, they should have plenty of money this offseason. I'm wondering if LB Alec Ogletree is the next player due an extension.
-----------
Jim, you're a diligent man. A part of you must despise what this forum has descended into. It's now only 5% football... and the rest cryin' on your shoulder. I've always enjoyed your work, and will continue to read your columns. But this may be my FINAL forum. There's not much of substance here.

giphy.gif

----------
Putting aside London, do you see even a glimmer of light at the end of this dark tunnel that suggests a team (like the Jags) could end up in St. Louis in the next 5 years?

I don't see anything happening over the next five years.
---------
Based upon what I see the Rams offensive game plan this year will be Gurley, Gurley, Gurley, punt.

giphy.gif

No. 30 certainly will get a lot of work. But the Rams need to pass the ball more effectively to get over the hump.
---------
Also, what was Snead's comment about 'pairing Austin with #30 and our tight ends' all about? What marvelous receiving tight ends do they have?

I have always thought Kendricks was underutilized. And the Rams seem to be very high on draft pick Tyler Higbee, but he has had durability issues in the past.
---------
Is Tony Romo's injury the least surprising development of the NFL preseason? The only person who didn't see this coming was Jerry Jones.

giphy.gif

Just the third play of the game for Romo, and it wasn't really a hard hit. Avril was trying to knock the ball out, not hammer Romo. If Prescotts continue to play like he has so far this preseason, maybe Romo's absence won't matter much. But Jerry Jones and the Cowboys front office did seem late to the party when it came to finding a possible successor or at least a competent backup.
-----------
You picking the Cardinals to take the NFC West?

I think you have to pick the Cardinals in the West with Seattle nipping at their heels.
----------
How do you see the rams DL shaking out? Longacre sure looks like a keeper.

PI-NFL-Rams-Christian-Bryant-090615.jpg

Fisher always seems to keep an extra defensive linemen or two on the final roster. So I'd be surprised if Longacre doesn't make the team. That could make five DEs _ Quinn, Hayes, Sims, Westbrooks, and Longacre.

Unless I'm missing something, I see only three DTs right now on the final 53 in Donald, Brockers, and Easley. But keep in mind, Hayes usually slides inside on passing downs and Westbrooks can play inside as well.
-----------
What were the draft picks the Rams gave up to get Goff?

The Rams gave up a first-round, third-round, and two second-round picks in the 2016 draft, plus their first _ and third-rounders in 2017 in exchange for the Titans' first_, fourth-, and sixth-rounders in 2016.
----------
Who will the Rams lock up next, tru, donald

I think Johnson, Donald, and Ogletree are all in the on-deck circle so to speak.
----------

giphy.gif

We'll see. You don't really wish the LA Rams fans 12 straight non-winning seasons do you? Or a five-year stretch of 15-65?
---------
comments on Goff's game 3 play? Also how did Mannion do? seems like he was playing with the 2nd and 3rd string lines.

I've only been able to watch the first half of the Denver game so far, so can't speak on Mannion. I'm sure he was operating behind the second_ and third-teamers though. Goff seemed like he looked a little more poised, but 4 for 12 is 4 for 12, and he was lucky that wasn't a pick 6 by ex-Ram Darian Stewart.
---------
Any word on what will become of the Dome? Cant see it being used for soccer, just maybe they leave it as is, and another team with stadium issues has a place to move?

Don't think it's going anywhere. As the months and years go by without NFL football, I'll be curious to see if it's being used more often for conventions, trade shows, concerts, etc. as the convention center people seemed to indicate would be the case once the Rams left.

With the high school football playoffs not in St. Louis this year _ I think they're in Springfield, Mo. _ and with no Missouri-Illinois or Gateway Classic game, the only football game in the building this season may have been the Legends of the Dome game!
---------
What is your favorite NFL venue in which to cover a game and why, please.

Without a doubt it remains Lambeau Field, because of the history, the tradition, the success of the Green Bay franchise. Although I will say it's lost a little of its charm due to recent renovations. But the atmosphere around the stadium on game day is fantastic, from the Cheeseheads to the hunter's orange later in the season. If I was a burglar, I think I'd operate in Green Bay on a Packers game day.

giphy.gif

I'd give the silver medal to CenturyLink Field in Seattle. Game in and game out, it's the noisiest venue in the league with all those over-caffeinated 12s. (There's literally a Starbucks or Tully's on every corner.)

tumblr_o8mxu5D1t91ttn6aro1_1280.jpg

The bronze medal goes to Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City _ home of tailgate heaven and the Sea of Red.

giphy.gif

Honorable mention to University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona. It took the Bidwills 20 years to get their stadium, but when they finally got it, they did it right. Logistically, the setup is very convenient to the media. And throughout the stadium, they pay homage to their gridiron past in St. Louis, and local football history at all levels. Very well done.
---------
Jim, I wish the LA Rams fans all the successes we have enjoyed in the past decade. May they replicate every single one.

There you have it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4-gLlF0uw

----------
Apparently Teddy Bridgewater was hurt pretty badly today. That's not good for the Vikings. Can AP throw the ball?

Yeah, I just heard that a few minutes ago on Bridgewater. First indications are that it could be serious, although I haven't been able to check the news wires while I've been on this chat. What a blow that would be if he was seriously hurt. I've talked to scouts who think very highly of the Vikings, think they could be a Super Bowl contender.

(I'll check for you, Jim)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...idgewater-suffers-apparent-injury-in-practice
----------
Jim, does Fisher have the pottiest mouth, so to speak, compared to other Rams coaches? Watching hard knocks, every other word is the F word. Nothing new for hard knocks but Fisher and Co seem to use it 10 times more than others.

1tvjvl.jpg

Oh, I think he's pretty much mainstream on that. Mike Martz, for example, could cuss up a storm when riled up.
----------
Are the Chiefs Super Bowl contenders? And what are the chances the Chiefs stay on television in the STL area for all 16 games?

Yes, I think they are. Denver's not going to be the same with Siemian, Lynch, or even Sanchez this year. New England has to go one fourth of the season without Brady. Maybe the Steelers make a push if they can stay healthy. But the Chiefs as you saw just got Eric Berry under contract.

Hali and Charles should be ready for the opener. They are a very, very solid club with a very good coach in Reid. As for Chiefs games on regular-season TV, not sure. Depends on the ratings...
---------
Jim, I know as a journalist, you're not supposed to have a rooting interest. But, are there any teams you might follow closer than others going forward?

I'm sure I'll still be keeping my eye on the Rams, but I have always liked the Packers and Steelers, so I'll probably be watching them on Sunday Ticket more.

Our plans are to spend more time covering the teams nearest St. Louis _ Kansas City, Chicago, Indy, Tennessee. We'll still have some Rams coverage as well.
---------
Seems like Goff has a durability issue in addition to having bad pocket awareness. The pressure will be on the Rams to show off their new QB...do you think they may cave in before Goff is ready?

Goff has a slender frame, and if you put the truth serum in Jeff Fisher, I think you'd find a coach who's concerned about keeping his quarterback healthy. Already this preseason, Goff was pulled out of the opener when his shoulder got dinged.

He had X-rays after the Denver game for a tailbone/back issue. Hard to say on when Goff makes his debut. To a degree, it depends on how Keenum is playing _ and he's played pretty well this preseason. But also the won-list record will influence the decision.
----------
Rather have a 15-65 team than no team and apparently so would all the people so upset the rams moved.

I call it the bad pizza theory. Even bad pizza is better than no pizza.

242673.gif

---------
I have been to games at every NFL city through the years and the one thing that always struck me over the years the Rams were here was the lack of any sustained, interesting, unique attempt at involving the fans before, during and after the games. It seems every other team had some sort of clever, unique way to interact with the fans while the Rams had a shopping cart-catching-football-on-a-parachute game that went on for years, fairly lame halftime shows and nothing post-game.

Other venues had pre-game shows (Seattle 12th man and the Baltimore marching band for example) and halftime shows that got the fans early and kept them in their seats. Now I totally understand that we are all their for a football game, but it's like they never made an attempt to actually connect the team to the fans at the one place they had an opportunity to do so. You've been to them all, your thoughts?

There's some merit to what you're saying although I thought the Rams' game-day presentation improved over the years. But some of the things they tried were pretty lame, like having the guy on the scoreboard video _ was it a pro wrestler? _ telling the fans when they should clap. I think if there had been more tailgate areas around the dome it would've helped the entire game-day experience, but much of that space was gobbled up once Lumiere Place came into being.
---------
Hey Jim is Lamarcus Joyner helping this team? I am not a fan

I really liked Joyner coming out of college and he's an interesting person to talk to, very sincere and passionate about the game. But at this point, I'd have to say I was expecting more from him on the field. This is his third NFL season, and usually if you don't see it in season No. 3, it's not going to happen with an NFL player. So this is a key year for him.
----------
Goff does not look like a #1 Draft pick to me! Does he to you?

Not at this point. But that can change.

(Come on man. Goff has played sparingly in three preseason games. And this "He doesn't look like a #1 draft pick" crap begins already. Give the man a chance to develop. Lots of NFL QB's bloomed late in their careers. There's an interesting article on this topic at the link below).

http://www.footballperspective.com/how-long-does-it-take-great-quarterbacks-to-break-out/
------------
What's your take on Kaepernick's protest? Tempest in a teapot? I think we can mostly agree that he's a bit misguided, but what does he hope to accomplish? It doesn't have the same impact when the message is delivered by a 2nd tier player IMHO.

I haven't given it a ton of thought. But I am glad we live in a country where you have the freedom to offer an opinion, even if it's one you may not necessarily agree with. And this is coming from someone who has two Army officers went to West Point knowing they might die for their country in the line of service.

NFL players have a lot of free time in the offseason. And Kaepernick has a lot of money. I'm just wondering if he will actually try to do something about the issue? For example, Aeneas Williams is a preacher in Ferguson, he engages the community and at least in involved in dialogue on the issue and trying to make things better.

Aeneas-Williams.jpg

---------
Who was the former Rams you thought had the most potential but their career was cut short by injury?

Tight end Ernie Conwell was strong and fast, and had a horrific knee injury, I believe, in '98. Now, he did play for several seasons with the Rams and New Orleans, but it would've been interesting to see what would have happened were it not for the injury. The same holds for Sam Bradford, whom I wrote about Monday after catching up with him in Indy. He was playing some of his best football before both of his knee injuries. I know there were other issues involved, but he did lose 1 1/2 seasons of his career.

And let's not forget about Trent Green and what he might have been able to accomplish in 1999 where it not for that fateful preseason game with San Diego and Rodney Harrison crashing into the back of his leg with a hit that didn't have to be made.
-------
Who were you least favorite Rams players you ever had to deal with? Favorites?

Lawrence Phillips was a headache on multiple levels. As for favorites, too many to mention from Isaac Bruce to Leonard Little, D'Marco Farr, Toby Wright, Warner, Holt, Laurinaitis, William Hayes and on and on. . . .
----------
giphy.gif

Another Great set of Gif's!! Thanks Prime Time!!(y)(y):D:giggle:

Ram65

Legend

The graphs are too much like economics class.

The text was very interesting. The most interesting thing in the article.

This sums it up the chat!

giphy.gif

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I understand the anger. But I wonder if that wasn't the feeling among L.A. fans back in 1995? The Rams ended up as Muhamed Ali might say "Champs of the World!!" less than 5 years after the move. They had 'that terrible dance hall girl' for an owner, a flunky lawyer as team president and Ziggie as their personel man/GM. Of course they couldn't sustain the success after that short run. Now they have an owner who spent his own money to build what could be the Taj Mahal of sports stadiums. Their practice facility and team headquarters will probably be equally opulent. And if Fisher doesn't get them to the promised land, he'll bring in somebody who will. For those reasons I think that particular St. Louis fan is setting himself up for huge disappointment. But he'll always have 99 and TGSOT. Like the older ballplayers are apt to say upon earning a Championship win, "they can't take that away from you". Of course they can move it to a display case in California but they can't really 'take it away'. It's funny how we fans seem to forget, like umpires or officials, the game is not about them. It's for their entertainment but it's not about them.

Not trying to be mean but I have a serious question. Do we care what Jim Thomas thinks about the Rams?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ole JT....we need a 5 game win streak....just to really get him riled up!!!!

Lets go Goff! Thursdays your last chance!!!! Anybody watch this kid as a freshman at Cal??? What's type of stones does he have? Granite....Marble....or Diamond????

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie

BUT BUT BUT..What about the frisbee catching dogs.. I think I saw them a few times in STL..At least give them a shout out JT

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ole JT....we need a 5 game win streak....just to really get him riled up!!!!

Lets go Goff! Thursdays your last chance!!!! Anybody watch this kid as a freshman at Cal??? What's type of stones does he have? Granite....Marble....or Diamond????

If you watched Hardknocks last night you can see the stones he has. Well I'd say diamond though. He is smart by leaving before the whole defense comes at him in a brawl.-- Give him credit for being smart & a competitor .

--- I'm going to give you credit on your Kush call. Inwas really impressed with his play.-- The funniest statement was when he was blocking his azz off & then sees Garrett on the ground.--Asked him what happened. Goff says I got sacked(lmao) .

-- The coaching staff even said ow !! Goff was taking a lot of hits.He still needs time to develop.

-- Best thing for The Rams is for Case Keenum to play great this season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@So Ram

I want the kid to start BEHIND the real o-line...Not potential cut bait like Williams....He gets better every rep...Can you see that? We are delaying his development...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
@So Ram

I want the kid to start BEHIND the real o-line...Not potential cut bait like Williams....He gets better every rep...Can you see that? We are delaying his development...

Yes I see that 100% .

I also see The Rams sitting Case Keenum out the last preseason game,so he does not get hurt. Gives Mannion some extra rep as well.

-- The Rams offense looks as good as I've seen it in the last 10 years. Some people say preseason does not count,but from what I've seen is impressive.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams offense looks as good as I've seen it in the last 10 years. Some people say preseason does not count,but from what I've seen is impressive.
Wow, that's how long Bulger's been gone??? I think Sam's last preseason we looked dangerous....but alas....
Talent, and Boras with Groh...I see the possibilities...plus Goff is the only one trying "wow" throws....but if you look close...you can see it...look close....close....you are getting sleepy...wait?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow, that's how long Bulger's been gone??? I think Sam's last preseason we looked dangerous....but alas....
Talent, and Boras with Groh...I see the possibilities...plus Goff is the only one trying "wow" throws....but if you look close...you can see it...look close....close....you are getting sleepy...wait?

Crap !!! Bulger could never throw a TD in preseason after signing that big contract.

-- The thing most Ram fans forget is SJ was coming off his 2,000 all/purpose

Yeah -- Bulger ?? He Was real bad in preseason after signing his big contract.

I was all in on Locking SJ39 up(JZ :-( )
Wanted to let Bulger holdout !!!
-- 2006 was the year to draft Jay Cutler !!

SJ39 had 2335 all/purpose yrds in 2006.

The Rams have been bad ever since. I've been a Rams fan for a long time. The Rams have had QB. Controversy way back.

-- Well as far as Sam went ?? He would still walk to the huddle & then do the famous Bulger wasted timeout routine.