Jim Thomas: NFL Chat -5/10/16 (less snark, more gifs)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. There are a lot of remarks about Stan Kroenke's comments concerning Kurt Warner which I chose not to post, except for one to use as an example, because they show a lack of creativity and are just plain boring. Actually JT is pretty magnanimous with most of these questions. I wouldn't have the same amount of patience. To read the whole chat click the link below. You will not learn anything new but hopefully at least be amused at times.
*************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_17?Page=0

Jim Thomas: NFL Chat

Hello again everybody. This will be our final chat for a while as I take my annual late spring early summer hiatus(July). So don't hold back, what's on your minds today?

200.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think that Greg Robinson can take the obvious next step this year and be a positive contributor. We could sure use a number 2 pick to stand up and live up to his draft position

Sure. If not, I think the Rams really have to wonder if he's NFL left tackle material. But as he enters his third year, he should be well-versed enough in terms of knowing protections, knowing how to handle line stunts, etc. Obviously, the holding penalties must drop. He had a league-high 11 last season. And he's got to clean up technique and be more patient on his pass sets.
------------
Boy, that '06 draft was a disaster! And '05 + '07 weren't much better...

200.gif

Yeah there's a lot to choose from in terms of bad Rams drafts in St Louis, but I think the '06 edition takes the prize. The booby prize that is. Tye Hill, Joe Klopfenstein, Claude Wroten, Jon Alston, Dominique Byrd. What a murderer's row. . .pause. . .NOT! And the '07 version wasn't far behind with Adam Carriker, Brian Leonard, Jonathan Wade, and Dustin Fry at the top.

At least Leonard turned out to be a pretty good role player (you just don't draft a role player in the second round). And Carriker would've been better off had he been drafted by a 3-4 team to play end. Injuries plagued him over parts of his career as well.
-----------
Jim, what did you think of Bradford's "trade me" demand?

Obviously a bad move. Although I do think the Philadelphia front office mishandled this by signing Bradford to an extension with $11 million in up-front signing bonus money and then signing Chase Daniel to $6 million in signing bonus and roster bonus money. You spend all that money and then you go out and trade a bunch of draft picks for Carson Wentz?

Makes you wonder if Eagles actually have a plan. I have a lot of respect for Bradford from his time in St. Louis, and what he went through here. But I don't really think he's earned the right to demand a trade. Not that he was necessarily a fan darling in Philly anyway but this doesn't help his cause.
-----------
Over or under 1500 yards for Gurley ?

I'm gonna say under. I see him at about 1,400 yards in 2016, barring injury.
----------
So Mr. Kroenke was the one who saw "it" in Kurt Warner, huh?

Yeah who knew? I also heard recently that Kroenke was the one who suggested that Ozzie Smith do a backflip on the way out to shortstop. Thought it might energize the crowd.

200.gif

-------------
How much change do we expect to the passing game with the addition of Groh and so many new players on Offense? Are we looking at a tweaking of the status quo or something more than that?

I think we're talking about a tweaking of the status quo. I'd be surprised to see anything resembling a radical departure from the conservative, run-first approach that Jeff Fisher's teams have employed for the last couple of decades.
----------
Day 1 regular season starting QB is ????? Also, what happens to Sean Manion this year with Foles and Keenum both ahead of him on depth chart?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't Goff. It's hard for me to imagine spending that many draft picks to move up to No. 1 for a guy and not have him in the lineup on opening day. As for what the depth chart may or may not say, I wouldn't pay too much attention to that at this time of year.
----------
Jim, has there been any discussion concerning the Isaac Bruce benefit of involving current or recent members of the Rams roster? Not to play but to make an appearance to say goodbye? Or is this primarily for GSOT-era players and coaches?

To my knowledge, the most recent-tenured players the Legends organizers approached were Chris Long and James Laurinaitis, who obviously both had long stints in St. Louis. I don't think either plans on attending. I also think Steven Jackson was invited. But the primary purpose of the get-together was to reunite many of the Greatest Show players to say thanks and goodbye.
-----------
Jim you made a comment in an article not long ago saying Jared Goff did not possess much charisma. Having followed his college career I really couldn't disagree more. I was wondering if you had anything to qualify that remark?

200.gif

It's just based on seeing him up-close in a press conference setting on a couple of occasions. And a couple of other media members who I respect came away with the same impression. Maybe he'll relax more as he grows into the job. Hey, Bradford was similar in a way when he came out and gradually relaxed to a degree around the St. Louis media. It was just a first impression; I wouldn't read all that much into it.
------------
How would categorize Alexander at this point in his career based on where the Rams drafted him? Reach? Bust? Too early to tell?

I'd say he's right about where the Rams hoped he would be at this point. He really developed a lot over the past season. Remember, he was a Day 3 pick _ fourth round.
-------------
why not mannion? seems to me he was their developmental pick. college production suggests he could make it in the nfl. he got the proverbial holding the clipboard year. i dont see how a goff and all the picks are better than giving manion a start.

You make some interesting points. Mannion has very little in the way of mobility, but I do think he has a strong arm and good accuracy. The Rams obviously think Goff can be a difference-maker at quarterback.
----------
I hope Goff turns out to be a great qb. But I just hate to see them give up the farm to move up. I remember how it turned out for the Redskins.

Agreed. There's no doubt Goff has some talent. Whether he has enough talent, and enough talent around him, to get the team over .500 and into the playoffs remains to be seen.
-----------
Compare and contrast the Rams hype for Goff vs. how they hyped Bradford

The Rams didn't really hype Bradford. He came into the NFL as a Heisman Trophy winner with lots of national acclaim. Now Goff may be very talented. He may turn out to be a better pro than Bradford. But he enters the NFL without the resume or the team success that Bradford had in college.
---------
Does Brian Quick make the jump to full time starter and difference maker this year, or is he who he has been these last few years (minus the injury year)?

As we sit here now he is a full-time starter, and there aren't really any alternatives to him starting. I know he was coming back from a severe shoulder injury last year, but I expected more from him. Much more. I'm sure a lot of us did. Having a full offseason will help this time around. That wasn't the case a year ago.

But he will have to adjust to some tweaks on offense with Boras and Groh now running the show, and hasn't always been quick to adjust to altered schemes. I think the best thing for him would be to line him up at one position, be it flanker or split end, and just keep him there.
-----------
One of the LA trolls over on NFL Talk accuses STL of only now saying the Rams stink because they moved to LA. Do these people on the Left Coast who claim to have been Rams fans for the past 21 years actually watch them play? We haven't stuck our heads in the sand and ignored the past 12 non-winning seasons. They have been ripped right and left by STL fans for their inept leadership, ownership and play on the field constantly.

200.gif

I'm not really aware of what the "trolls" may or may not have been saying. I know it's basically asking the impossible but I wish the LA and StL fans could get along. This has never been about the fans _ the Rams leaving LA and now the Rams leaving St. Louis. It has been at the fans' expense. And neither fan base deserved what happened. The only distinction I make is that in the case of St. Louis it had a stadium plan in place. One that was much better than the league or Kroenke would admit to. There was nothing resembling a stadium plan in place in Orange County in 1994.
-----------
I totally agree with you when you say you wish LA fans and St. Louis fans can get along. I am a LA guy but I am not a troll, (whatever that is), but I am a Ram fan, and I come on here because I like to read about my Rams whether they are St. Louis or LA. In the famous words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

An olive branch from the West Coast. But keep in mind, Rams fans here are dealing with a stormy divorce after 21 years of marriage. You don't get over that quickly.
-----------
Do you think if Fisher and Snead are not resigned after year 5 this would be a dream coaching job even without having a #1 draft pick? Based off the defense being set and having a prime Gurley and Goff?

Prior to this offseason when the Rams lost 4 defensive starters (Jenkins, McLeod, Long, Laurinaitis) I know the Rams' defense was highly thought of around the league. Very highly thought of by some. I know of one organization that teased their head coach: "You'd be 14-2 with the Rams' defensive talent." But it takes more than defense to win championships. Gurley is a great piece, obviously. I think Goff can be a good piece. But there are some holes on the depth chart, and the talent level at WR and TE is hardly ideal.
-----------
Have the Rams received calls about Mannion? I'm no expert but I'd love to see him get a string of starts somewhere to see what he can do.

I'm not aware of any calls on Mannion.
-----------
How do you think the Chiefs will do this year? How far will they go to the playoffs if they make it? And what is the key to their season?

Well, I'm hardly the expert on the Chiefs. But I hope to familiarize myself with them more as we approach the 2016 season. A key for them on defense, of course, is the status of Justin Houston following his knee surgery. If he's right, he's one of the game's most dominant pass rushers. But his playing status is uncertain for next year.

With the uncertainties in Denver due to the QB situation, and some of the defensive losses due to free agency, I think the Broncos might come back to the pack some and the Chiefs will have a legit chance to win the AFC West. But keep an eye on Oakland I think they're a team on the cusp.
----------
How much better does the addition of Demarco Murray and the drafting of Derrick Henry make the Titans. I think Marcus Marriota will be a star in this league. Do these two help him become that more quickly?

Even anything, I think last season's experience in Philly should've humbled Murray to a degree and sharpened his focus. Hopefully, he's in a better offensive system _ one that will maximum his one-cut-and-go style more than was the case with the Eagles. Having a power back such as Henry to share the load will help. I do like Mariota. Having a strong running game around him can't hurt.
---------
This chat is very entertaining. I must admit some of these people make me laugh.

Yeah, but I'm a little disappointed. It looks like we're not going to hear from two of our regulars _ Rampage and Stan Kroenke _ for the second week in row.

200.gif

------------
Who wins a championship first? The Blues or the Rams?

I'm going to say. . .the Cubs.

200.gif

-------------
How long do you think you will be able to keep your "insider" status in regards to the rams and bring us credible information? Or is it starting to wane already? Anything new on Witner?

"Insider status"?

200.gif

Well, I'd say it's starting to wane at this time because I'm obviously not out in LA covering the rookie orientation nor will I be out there for OTAs, etc. But in terms of perspective, and the team's strengths and weaknesses and so forth, I'm sure I'll still have things to offer over the next year or so.
-----------
What was your favorite pick by the Rams this year?

I liked the two WR picks. I'm big on college production in drafting, and it's hard to argue with the production of Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas in college. Now, how quickly they can adjust to the NFL game and how much they can contribute at this level _ who knows? But they were good value for where the Rams got them in the draft.
---------
I'd like for the Rams to develop a more vertical passing game as opposed to the side to side passing last year, but I wonder if we have the WR's or TE's to do this. What are your thoughts?

Well, Austin obviously can get deep, but most of his big plays haven't really come on deep balls. Britt and Quick have some downfield ability. So I do see your point. And with a still inexperienced line and quite possibly a rookie QB starting on Day 1, I'm not sure you want all that many 7-step drops.
---------
Given the LA franchise's shaky O-line play do you think that Jared Goff runs the risk of ending up in the David Carr category of quarterbacks who could have been good but got too beat up to make it very far?

Maybe, but the Rams gave up only 18 sacks last year. The pass-blocking actually was better than expected.
----------
The 18 sacks is very misleading, the Rams also ranked dead last in QB rating

Yeah, but the question was on pass-blocking not quarterback play.
----------
Did it surprise you that the Jets took Hackenberg in the Draft that high.

Yeah it did. He was about a 55% completion passer in college. That just doesn't cut it in the NFL. There's only so much you can do when it comes to improving accuracy.
---------
Even if Goff works out, the Rams still need WR's and they don't have a first round pick next year. They might have to overpay in free agency just to get someone for Goff to throw to.

They will have to do something, unless they've unearthed a gem in Copper or Thomas, or the light switch comes on for Quick. I'll recycle this stat for you from last year: Receptions and yards for Julio Jones in 2015: 137 for 1,871. Receptions and yards for Antonio Brown in 2015: 136 for 1,834. Receptions and yards for ENTIRE RAMS WR CORPS in 2015: 137 for 1,635.
----------
What did you think about Manning helping out in Miami. I think he would make a great coach in the future if he wanted to be.

Usually players who have had long NFL careers don't end up as coaches. The hours for an assistant coach are unending. And if you're financially secure from a long career, why put yourself through that. Also there's the great player factor. How many great QBs end up as coordinators or QB coaches? Plus, I think it's often a case where they can't coach what they did as players _ because they had such rare skill.
----------
The Rams weakest position on the OL has to be at center do you think they will address it ?

I'm not entirely sure that the coaching staff would agree with that assessment. I know of one internal review that had Barnes rated as the team's best offensive lineman in 2015. Barnes was a lot better over the second half of last season. And there are other intriguing options as well, including Demetrius Rhaney.
----------
Any other tidbits from talking to Charley Armey?

Nothing earthshattering. He and his wife Audrey, aka The Barracuda, just got back from a trip to Australia and New Zealand. Charley still keeps an eye on the game. And gets to St. Louis a couple times a year. I think in a way he likes the Rams' move up to get a QB but realizes that in cases like this you're often grooming the QB for the next coach.
----------
How much does Carson Palmer have left in the tank? He's getting up there in age, and had a couple of serious knee injuries.

Interesting that you should mention this. I wondered if the Cardinals would make a run at Paxton Lynch at the end of the first round for just that reason. I think Palmer still has a couple, three years left. But I think if you put the truth serum into the Cardinals' front office/coaching staff, I think they realize they have a short window to win a Super Bowl with their current group of players.
----------
Who was the Rams best undrafted signing ?

There are a lot of interesting pickups. Chubb the linebacker from Wake Forest. Fox, who dominated as a pass rusher at the Division II level. Both of the St. Louis product are interesting and were highly successful at the smaller-college level _ Jordan, the defensive back from Missouri Western and McRoberts, the wide receiver from Southeast Missouri.
----------
Who wins rookie of the year

Man, everybody seems to be handing it to Ezekiel Elliott at this point.
---------
I know the Cowboys also practice at Oxnard, but for a multi-billion dollar busines to have the team practice on open fields, and conduct business in tents and a hotel just seems odd. I know the current situation is temporary, but...

Yeah, at face value it's kind of sketchy. But keep in mind, the Cowboys just hold training camp there. And the Rams will only be there in terms of OTAs for about another month or so.
-----------
In the end, do you think that Mark Davis will be allowed to move the Raiders to Vegas?

KDO1X.gif

A young Mark Davis?

I think it's better than 50-50 if the Vegas stadium plan materializes.
-----------
Who do you think will be Goff's favorite go-to target as the season unfolds?

Wow. That's a good one. I'm gonna say. . . Tavon Austin.
----------
I get a sense that the media goes lightly on players that don't have, um, the sharpest knife in the drawer. Do you see that as an unseen fact by fans for players not really fulfilling their potential - I mean, aside from injury.

No one likes calling a player dumb. It's a helluva thing to call someone.
------------
Jim, how has the Rams move impacted the local media either positively or negatively in terms of the workload.

Until now, I've been almost as busy as usual. But it changes now without rookie minicamp or OTAs to cover. As for the rest of the media, most that cover the Rams have also covered other teams over the years. So they've been spending more time with the Blues and the Cardinals lately.
----------
Who will give Gurley a rest among our RB's?

Cunningham looks like the third-down back again. Tre Mason, assuming he puts the off-field issue behind him fills in. Trey Watts, remember, is still serving the indefinite drug suspension.
----------
Time to go. See you in July

200.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jim Thomas: NFL Chat

Hello again everybody. This will be our final chat for a while as I take my annual late spring early summer hiatus(July). So don't hold back, what's on your minds today?

200.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Best part of the entire Chat!!(y):whistle::blah::fuelfire:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, that was less horrible than in weeks past.....It's curious that JT thinks Goff is iffy. I look at him play under serious pressure in college, and the dude was seriously good. Better Oline, vastly better RB, more talented WR's and TE's potentially, and our defense who will seem much better if we can actually play with a lead...and, score more than 17 points a game.

tonyl711

Starter
Well, that was less horrible than in weeks past.....It's curious that JT thinks Goff is iffy. I look at him play under serious pressure in college, and the dude was seriously good. Better Oline, vastly better RB, more talented WR's and TE's potentially, and our defense who will seem much better if we can actually play with a lead...and, score more than 17 points a game.
he also will be going against much better defenses, and lets face it, our WRs dont scare too many teams, dont get me wrong, i hope he lights it up, but until he proves himself im not going to declare him a savior yet. kind of in the same vain, look at how hyped everyone was to have Foles last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First JT chat I have actually enjoyed in a long time. Thanks to the gifs. :p