Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 11/1/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.

giphy.gif

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_34

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

Do you think Fisher is discouraged because the record for most penalties in a game is now a little more difficult for his team to beat?

The Raiders have set the bar high. But the Rams have 8 more games to get it done.

snark-meter-sorta-snarky-002.jpg

----------
Why is Mike Martz doing nothing more than radio analysis of the Chargers? Is he blackballed from the NFL for some reason? Why wouldn't a team that's struggling offensively reach out to him and see if he would come to the rescue?

Good question. Mike has had a reputation for being hard to work with. I think it would take a strong personality, and a secure personality, in a head coach and GM to work with Mike. But my goodness, I agree with you. It's hard for me to think of a better QB guru than him.

Granted, it's tough love, but the guy gets the most out of QBs. I mean, he squeezed two 4,000-yard passing seasons out of Jon Kitna in Detroit, went 5-3 with Shaun Hill has his starter in San Francisco. I think Mike would like one more crack at it.
---------
Not counting the braintrust that runs the Rams, which NFL team has the most mundane offensive philosophy? Conversely, not counting the braintrust that runs the Patriots, which team displays the most progressive offensive philosophy - one that really pushes the evolution of the game?

Tennessee has a very old-school approach in terms of running the ball. I think coach Mike Mularkey calls it "exotic smash-mouth" _ which is kind of an odd name. You know, the Dallas Cowboys are very balanced. Entering their Sunday game with Philadelphia they were the only team with more run plays called than pass plays.

Although I've broadened my scope in terms of what I pay attention to in the NFL, it's tough for me to come up with a "progressive " offensive philosophy team. I like that Dirk Koetter at Tampa Bay tries to push the ball down the field more in the passing game. So many teams are dink and dunk. I haven't really seen much of Atlanta or Oakland this season, so don't have a great feel for what they're doing.
--------
Jim, based on your trips to other cities and the conversations that (I assume) you have with writers in others towns, do you get the sense that fans outside of SD/Oakland/St. Louis have any sense for how poorly the NFL treated the fans in those three places? I'm not sure how much I would notice if I were on the other side, so I am wondering how other people feel.

It's not something I've talked about much lately with writers I run into, but if you're asking if there's an awareness of how the NFL abuses its fan base for the sake of the almighty dollar _ the answer is yes. And there are more towns than maybe you'd think of that have lost their teams. Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston, Oakland, and yes, LA/southern California have all gone through it.
---------
Do you think the Vikings' offensive struggles have more to do with the performance of their offensive line and the loss of AP, or has Norv Turner failed to utilize his talent and adjust appropriately?

I have a lot of respect for Norv Turner, but yeah, I would've liked to have seen more screens and quick throws to the WRs last night. Saying that, it was pretty clear even with what the TV shots showed last night that there were times when the Vikings' O-line was getting beaten and beaten quickly.

For example, I'm sure Jake Long will get better as he gets more playing time, but it's sad to watch him play these days. I mean, this guy was once a Pro Bowler. I could be wrong on this, but I think the running game will improve with more work for Ronnie Hillman.

Right now, Bradford looks a little shell-shocked. I know that look. I've seen it in St. Louis.

giphy.gif

But with their defense and that coaching staff, I don't think it's a time for panic in Minnesota. Football is a game of momentum, and the bye week couldn't have come at a worst time for the Vikings. The same thing happened to Philly after they came out of their bye.
---------
Jake Long is gonna get Sam Bradford killed. It's deja vu all over again!

Circa third preseason game of 2014, in Cleveland?
--------
Who is the favorite from the NFC now to the super bowl to be the sacrificial lamb to the Patriots?

I'm certainly not ready to bury Minnesota, or even Seattle for that matter. But I have to say it would be Jerry Jones' squad in Dallas. But lots of games left Things can change. The New York Giants won a Super Bowl after a 9-7 regular season.
--------
JT - one of the brainy LA "fans" on NFL Talk made the prediction he thinks the Rams will win their next 4 games and be 7-4 when they play the Patriots. Do these left coast clowns realize how long it's been since they have won 4 straight?

The next 4 teams may not have good W/L records but they all have better QBs than the Rams, and a good QB will torch the Rams secondary by throwing deep. Brees will be in the Hall of Fame, Newton might be and Fitzpatrick & Tannehill have beat better teams than the Rams. Do these LA idiots actually watch this team?

TrollsForHildabeast2.jpg

As you know, the optimism would be based on the fact that the Rams' next 4 opponents _ Carolina, New Orleans, Miami, and the New York Jets _ are a combined 11-18, and none of the 4 currently has a winning record. But New Orleans and Miami are improving, Carolina came out of its bye week with a strong win against Arizona, and even the Jets have won their last two.

The Rams' defense, which has looked very quick this season, should be almost fully healthy. We'll see. You know as well as I it's hard to imagine the Fisher Rams playing with the kind of week-to-week consistency to win 4 in a row.
---------
The LA media is pounding Fisher pretty hard about the quarterback situation. Is the man competent to have the final say about an offense?

If you don't make a change in the midst of a 3-game losing streak, on the heels of a 4-interception game by your quarterback, with the extra time of a bye week to prepare. . . .when would you?
---------
Jim, really miss your day-to-day Rams coverage. Unfortunately your LA counterparts are still in the honeymoon phase and cover the team like a kid with a new toy - very limited insight. Anyway, help us try to understand Fisher's handling of Goff.

Depending on one's perspective, he could be saying "drafting him wasn't my idea", or "I have to win, so I'm okay with Keenum because he's better now", or "Stan's going to extend me, so am immune from having to win, and Goff sitting is best for everyone", or "Goff isn't the kid we saw pre-draft", or (fill in the blanks).... Help us understand with your take on Fisher's thinking.

I'm sure the LA/southern California writers felt the same way about the St. Louis media in 1995, Of course, the Rams did start 5-1 that year. You can't manufacture perspective _ it takes a little time.

Just a couple of thoughts on Fisher-Goff. Fisher really likes Keenum _ his energy, his intangibles, his leadership. Also, trading up to the No. 1 overall spot for Goff didn't seem like a Fisher move to me. (Nor did having his team on Hard Knocks.) The trade-up seemed like a hey we're in LA now we need to make a splash move. If you were going to trade up for a QB, I think the year to do it was 2015 with Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota.

Maybe time will show otherwise, but I never saw Goff or Wentz as franchise QBs. One last thing: the longer Goff sits on the bench, the more you have to wonder if the Rams aren't sold on him, no matter what they say publicly.
---------
Jim - the PD had an interesting table in the paper the other day. 5 NFL teams with least number of victories since 2007. Everybody thinks the Browns are the worst team in the league - they were the second worst team with 47 victories.

The worst team? Yep, you guessed it - the Rams with 45 victories. And this is the team that's going to rip off long winning streaks. They have already lost this year to 3 teams that won't come close to making the playoffs, Giants, Lions and niners.

tumblr_lyqzazCn6I1rnb8epo1_500.jpg

There was a time late last year when it was the Raiders as the worst team of the last decade. But they've zoomed past the Browns and Rams.
----------
If the Invisible Man (SK), presumed to be somewhere in North Texas these days, were to claw out of his cocoon, would he be surprised that his number one drafted QB still hadn't taken a rep in a real game or would he even care?

5818cbb51cdd3172715078.gif

Malibu Stan has a lot of faith in Jeff Fisher. That should be fairly obvious by now.
----------
Looks like the Rams 1st rounder in 2017 is ahead of the Titans own pick. Do you think that will continue?

Already checking out that draft order, are we? Yes, right now the Rams' pick at 3-4 would come before the Titans' pick at 4-4. I think it'll be neck and neck on which pick comes first. Tennessee looks improved this season but 5 of their last 8 games are on the road _ they haven't taken their bye yet. And their 3 home games are against Green Bay, Denver, and Houston.
---------
Andy Reid has been a very good head coach for a long time - only 3 losing seasons in 17. But - he always comes ups short in the playoffs. What would you say are his biggest weaknesses as a head coach that contributes to the playoff losses?

giphy.gif

It's hard to say it's just one thing that prevents coaches from advancing in the playoffs. Some coaches get a little too conservative in the postseason. Some have problems with clock management. But without downplaying the importance of good coaching, usually it's the team with the best players _ particularly the best QB _ that wins in the Super Bowl.
----------
To follow up on the question about Andy Reid. When the Eagles played the Cardinals in the NFC Championship, about 8 years ago, the Eagles took the lead early in the 4th quarter, then the Cardinals came back to retake the lead.

During the drive, Kurt Warner looked as cool as can be, his passes looked no different than if he had been playing catch in the backyard. when the Eagles got the ball back, McNabb's passes were mostly a little bit off--not terrible, but even when his receivers caught the ball, they were off balance. And McNabb was a good player, he just wasn't Kurt Warner. Alex Smith isn't Kurt Warner either.

Hey, there's only one Kurt Warner. And I think it will be Kurt Warner, Pro Football Hall of Famer, come February.
---------
According to Forbes magazine, the Cowboys are worth $800 million more than the Patriots, despite the latter being far more successful on the field than the former. If you polled the other 30 owners, how many would prefer to own the Patriots, and be the best on the field, and how many would prefer to be the generally mediocre Cowboys?

That's a fascinating question. Would you rather have more money? Or more success? I think we know where Stan Kroenke stands on the issue.

giphy.gif

I think most owners would rather have the Lombardi Trophies _ after all, isn't that why you want to own a pro sports franchise, to win championships? It's a given that you're going to make money and show a profit in the NFL because of the TV dollars, even if you never win a single game. There is no such thing as an NFL team that's losing money. So why not win some games, lots of games, on your way to the bank?.
---------
The Raiders have turned it around and they didn't need a boatload of extra draft picks like the Rams had. It's amazing what a franchise can do to improve when, you know, they actually work at it.

The LA Lambies fans squawk about how great it is having them back "home", but they haven't even been the best team in their own state...the Raiders have won multiple super bowls and the Chargers were a dynamite team in the AFL for a long time after it was formed.

The Raiders have hit on some draft picks lately _ and hit big. Derek Carr, Amari Cooper, and Khali Mack to name a few.
---------
Kurt Warner led the Rams and the Cardinals to the Superbowl. How can he not be a hall of famer?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzKaDZhQTw

Exactly. And both were woebegone franchises until he worked his magic. But what has worked against Warner in terms of the Hall of Fame is his relative late start in the NFL _ he was a 27-year-old rookie in 1998 _ and the down years of his career, when his time ended with the Rams, he struggled with the Giants, and first arrived in Arizona.
---------
I found the NFLs excuse for the Instant Replay issue in Carolina very interesting. They said the feed went out in Carolina, however the IR offices in NY have 2 feeds they can look at; 1 from the stadium that mirrors the feed coming out of the IR booth as well as the network feed that they get directly from the provider.

Since they instituted that this season, challenges can "now" be helped by the NY offices (which they did last year too, by the way), they should have been able to review the play using the network feed. I know we won't get a straight answer, but Arians has a legitimate beef.

I haven't followed this story very closely, but it definitely sounds like the league botched this one.
-----------
Yeah, as usual have to begin looking at the draft in November, with no hopes of a playoff game. Which of the impending FA's do you see the rams keeping? Johnson, McDonald, Britt, Quick and Keenum seem to be the top 5.

I think Johnson will be tough to keep, barring another franchise tag application. But I can certainly see Britt and McDonald staying. Not sure how much of an outside market there would be for Quick or Keenum.
----------
Goff looks a lot like a Stan decision to me. Have to make a big splash in our new home, draft the kid from California, need a star to be the face of the franchise and fill my new palace of a stadium. Reminds me a lot of Bill Bidwell's decision to draft Steve Pzarkewitz (sp?).

Now he is showing why so many people had the reaction they did at the time. If, as appears likely, he is the next Ryan Tannehill, and the Rams have no first or third round draft choice in 2017, the Rams should get worse before they get better.

Has the look of a Kroenke/Demoff decision to me.
----------
After we win a SB here you can burn the one you have there down with that dump of a dome.

giphy.gif

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here. You want St. Louis to "burn the Super Bowl it has here?"
----------
I was saying burn the trophy with the dome.

The trophy accompanied the team to Los Angeles. It's not in St. Louis.
----------
By the time your Rams win a Super Bowl the "dump of a Dome" will fall down from old age. Also, your man Malibu Stan made a lot of money off that dump - he had the sweetest lease in the NFL. And the west coast morons like you need to stop commenting on winning Super Bowls since you've never won one. Rams = 70 years in existence - ONE Super Bowl won in that Dump you refer to.

cringe.gif

-----------
How does Fisher justify sitting Goff on the bench? I believe that it has to hurt Goff's mental state actually sitting on the bench! We sent 6 draft picks for the 1st pick in the draft and he isn't ready? I understand the upside potential but it hasn't worked so far with Robinson, Quick and even to some degree Austin.

One more thing his free agency and trades have been pretty bad. Look at how much money the team has spent on Sensabaugh, Cook and Foles. To make matters worse we extended Foles and cut him in one year and Sensabaugh lasted 4 games!

I don't know how you justify sitting Goff. Obviously, Fisher feels like Keenum gives the Rams their best chance to win this year. And as he finishes out the last year of his original 5-year contract there may be some survival instinct at work here.
----------
Grob seems to be stuck in neutral. Rams moving on, maybe a new OL coach to get him going?

I don't think the issue has anything to do with Boudreau. Alex Barron was Alex Barron. Jason Smith was Jason Smith. There's only so much you can do.
---------
Denver - Oakland this Sunday looks like the rare watchable game this season. Who wins?

Yeah Sunday night game. In Oakland. (I have a feeling not all of those Halloween costumes will be put away yet.) This has been a year where the teams with the better defense usually prevail. And the Raiders are 5-0 on the road and only 1-2 at home. But I don't know. I'm gonna take the Raiders at home.
---------
It looks like Fishers next 4 games will make or break a contract extension. Do you think the Rams will win enough game to prevent Fisher getting fired ?

CaogEdw.gif

This may surprise you, but overall this team has played a little better than I expected with the exception of the opener against San Francisco. As I referenced in an earlier answer, the defense looks very quick and aggressive. Britt is having a career year. But all things considered, I see more 7-9. . .you know what.
----------
Bernie Miklasz pointed out on The Fast Lane that Jeff Fisher in 20+ seasons as a head coach has 6, yes SIX winning seasons. Does this guy have pictures on someone? Mike Martz can't find work as a coach and this stumble bum makes $7 million a year?

roflbot.jpg

Pretty amazing when you think of it in those terms. Martz was 56-36 as a head coach, for a 61 percent winning percentage.
---------
Mike Martz is BY FAR the best QB talent evaluator in football since Sid Gillman. He picks QBs that other people scoff at and has them playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Mike didn't think arm strength was the end-all, be-all. He always told me the 3 biggest assets he looked for in a QB _ in no particular order _ were accuracy, toughness, intelligence.
---------
Looks like lovable Uncle Bruce in Arizona has fallen flat on his face, I think his arrogance has gotten the better of him: horrible clock management, horrible risk taking, horrible special teams, take his deep ball offense away and he is rather impotent, your take?

5818df412c81d223521775.gif

It does look like at least some of the bloom is off that rose, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Carson Palmer isn't playing nearly as well this year as he has in the past.
-----------
Jim, do you think Fischer encourages dirty play, or does it just seem that way, I know he is a Buddy Ryan disciple

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhyhiDQX84

I'll put it this way: the last thing Fisher (or Gregg Williams for that matter) wants on defense is a bunch of boy scouts.
---------
Can you think which was the Stl Rams worst move. I think it was firing the only winning coach in the teams time in Stl - Mike Martz

Letting London Fletcher go in free agency belongs on the medal stand. So does not talking Dick Vermeil out of retirement. Martz was a lightning-rod for the fans, and as you may recall many were glad to see him go at the time.
----------
A tutorial for L.A. fans: you can tell what time of year it is by the buzz around your team. If the buzz is about losing games to improve your draft position, it is October through December (well, not this year, most years).

If the buzz is about your great draft position and the terrific players you can draft to fill the many holes in your roster, it is January through April (most years).

If the buzz is about the fabulous players you drafted, it is May through July (most years).

If the buzz is about how terrible the fabulous players you drafted look and who will be cut by other teams who can be picked up and become your savior, it is August.

If the buzz is about how you might surprise a few teams and sneak into a wild card spot, it is September.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clp7I5ZOIpw

--------------
I agree the hit on Cam was a penalty, but I also concur that going public was pretty stupid. I think he just put a bounty on himself, look at the absolute pounding that lineman, backs and linebackers incur each week, Cam, this is big boy sports.

Maybe it's the sportswriter in me, always looking for the good quotes. But I like that he spoke out. I like that Josh Norman spoke out. Game officials in particular, and the league in general, should be held more accountable for officiating gaffes. And there were some doozies in Week 8.

While realizing it's a fast-moving game, how do you miss that facemask on the Jamison Crowder TD in the Washington-Cincy game? And how do you not see Indy's Clayton Geathers using his left arm to smash Alex Smith's head into the turf in the Chiefs-Colts game? What's 10K, 20K in fines for these guys? I'd rather they speak their minds.
---------
giphy.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
JT - one of the brainy LA "fans" on NFL Talk made the prediction he thinks the Rams will win their next 4 games and be 7-4 when they play the Patriots. Do these left coast clowns realize how long it's been since they have won 4 straight?

The next 4 teams may not have good W/L records but they all have better QBs than the Rams, and a good QB will torch the Rams secondary by throwing deep. Brees will be in the Hall of Fame, Newton might be and Fitzpatrick & Tannehill have beat better teams than the Rams. Do these LA idiots actually watch this team?
This^ guy is an A #1, 1st Class F--king Idiot!!

AND Let me clarify this...Below ...
giphy.gif

I come here for "Prime Time's Comments!!(y)(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:seizure:
By the time your Rams win a Super Bowl the "dump of a Dome" will fall down from old age. Also, your man Malibu Stan made a lot of money off that dump - he had the sweetest lease in the NFL. And the west coast morons like you need to stop commenting on winning Super Bowls since you've never won one. Rams = 70 years in existence - ONE Super Bowl won in that Dump you refer to.
IF this, RICHARD, want to go back 70 years, he should be reminded the Rams Won two NFL Championships before coming to St.Louis and where in at least two other Championship games!:seizure:

I have to stop reading this junk, I might have a stroke!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why does JT still pretend to have knowledge of what Fisher or Demoff wants or thinks?

He has slowly turned himself into a first class sham.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
According to Forbes magazine, the Cowboys are worth $800 million more than the Patriots, despite the latter being far more successful on the field than the former. If you polled the other 30 owners, how many would prefer to own the Patriots, and be the best on the field, and how many would prefer to be the generally mediocre Cowboys?

Tell me which team is more successful, the Patriots or Cowboys? Who has more Lombardi trophies? Such short term memory some people have. And let's see how good a Patriots team is 5 years from now with no BB or Brady.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dunno... that one's from Oct. 8th? Way to stay connected to the fan base Vince!

The odd thing is that they were pretty regular through September and then grinded to a halt after October 8th.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe time will show otherwise, but I never saw Goff or Wentz as franchise QBs. One last thing: the longer Goff sits on the bench, the more you have to wonder if the Rams aren't sold on him, no matter what they say publicly.
Untitled.gif