Jim Thomas' Chat Highlights: Donald Looking Better Than Advertised

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
—UDFA Standouts? Deantre Harlan, the DT from tiny Bacone College in Muskogee, Okla., has shown some quickness on the interior. Alex Bayer, the TE from Iowa, isn’t spectacular at anything, but does a lot of things well. At this point, I think he has a chance at the No. 4 TE job _ assuming the Rams keep 4 TEs. RB Trey Watts, has a little wiggle and some burst. Those are just a few.

—You haven’t heard anything about Westbrooks because he hasn’t been practicing. He’s on the non-football injury list. He gets that designation because the injury occurred away from Rams Park. He suffered a hamstring injury while training on his own during the summer break.

—Aaron Donald, the DT from Pittsburgh, looks very, very good. He’s very quick. It’ll be interesting to see how he does going against the o-linemen in pads. That starts today, in the first full-squad practice in pads. Tre Mason, the RB from Auburn, also has looked impressive. Quick feet, good instincts. Again,, we’ll see how he looks in pads.

—How has Donald Looked? Maybe better than advertised.

—Q: Hearing Donald is a terror – cant be blocked on 2nd unit, giving starting OL fits as well. A: Your hearing is good.

—Parade meter still at 9 at this point. And let’s review the rules. Heeding the advice of a chatter a year ago, the Parade Meter can change only up to the first game of the regular season. Then it’s set in concrete for the rest of the year, for better or worse.

—Bradford was a little rusty Friday. But he was better on Saturday, and looked really sharp on Sunday. He’s moving around well; doesn’t seem to be favoring the knee at all. Jake Long is doing individual drills, but no “team” drills at this point. He seems to be moving well in the drills he participates in. The plan is to gradually work him into game-day form, and possibly play in the second or third preseason game.

—UDFA’s that have looked good? I mentioned a few in one of my earlier answers: DT Harlan, RB Watts, and TE Alex Bayer. At this point, I think Bayer has the best chance of the three to make the 53. Greg Reid’s had some moments at CB.

—Nothing against Tinoisamoa, who was very productive but as you mentioned undersized. But Laurinaitis isn’t undersized at 248 pounds. Laurinaitis also is extremely durable. He’s only missed a handful of snaps in his first 5 NFL seasons.

—Jenkins? He hasn’t looked bad. But more often than not, he’s been in tight coverage and just missed making the play. He needs to make players.

—Usually it’s the strong safety who gets the TE.. And that would be T.J. McDonald. Usually it’s the nickel back who gets the slot WR, which would be Lamarcus Joyner. We’ll see. But I do think it’s fair to question the coverage skills of the safeties at this point.

—Well, they’re mixing and matching WR’s constantly in practice. I do like that “big” formation they use with Quick, Britt, and Cook _ all 6-3 or taller.

—D’Marco Farr compared to Donald –Yeah, they do have a lot of similarities. Keep in mind, even though D’Marco went undrafted he was no slouch. He was the Pac-10 defensive player of the year coming out. D’Marco has a little wider, how should I put this, anchor.

—Joyner should be the nickel back. Alexander, especially with his late start because o knee surgery, projects more as a special teamer this year.

—The Rams have a pair of highly-credentialed backup tackles in Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold.

—If the Rams leave, I don’t think it’ll be right after the lease expires this year. I think the Rams will go several seasons on a year-to-year lease before anything happens.

—Robinson looks pretty good; has had some blips on pass-blocking, especially working at LT. As for keeping everyone at the same position, I remember that from OTAs, and that’s basically what happened in OTAs. I think they’re just getting GRob some reps at LT, and giving Saffold a refresher course there as well in case Long isn’t ready. As for Barrett Jones, he’s been getting reps with the first_ and second unit at center.

—I don’t think Jenkins looks as bad as some apparently have indicated. In fact, from what I’ve seen _ and I’m not watching him every play _ he looks average to me. Not bad. But I think the entire secondary as a whole remains a big question mark.

—A healthy OL should be pretty good. Too early to tell on secondary and WRs. That probably doesn’t make you feel better. But at least the weather is great.

Read All Chat Highlights