Jim Irsay compares risk of playing football to risk of taking aspirin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/jim-irsay-aspirin

usp-nfl_-peyton-manning-press-conference.jpg

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay had this to say to Sports Business Daily at the annual owners meeting last week on the dangers of football:

“I believe this: that the game has always been a risk, you know, and the way certain people are. Look at it. You take an aspirin, I take an aspirin, it might give you extreme side effects of illness and your body … may reject it, where I would be fine. So there is so much we don’t know.”

He also compared to other sports that pose danger, like bobsledding.

“It is a tough sport. It is a contact sport. Again, whether it is bobsledding, rugby, what have you now: Any of those sports it takes a commitment [that] ‘I am all in here.’”

Irsay follows fellow NFL team owner Jerry Jones in saying head-scratching things about any substantial risk in playing football. Last week, Jones told the Washington Post that suggesting there’s a link between CTE and football is “absurd” — even as an NFL official said that it exists.

Irsay’s statements were published on the same day that Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah retired, citing health concerns. He suffered five concussions during his playing career.

View: https://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/714489107750248453

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
It always amazes me that so many NFL owners cannot string together a coherent sentence.

Also, was it Jim Irsay who was found with thousands of dollars worth of prescription drugs in his car a couple of years back?

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
It always amazes me that so many NFL owners cannot string together a coherent sentence.

Also, was it Jim Irsay who was found with thousands of dollars worth of prescription drugs in his car a couple of years back?
If I remember, it was a several types of prescription drugs for which he had no prescription and $29k in cash---that would have been jail time for us members of the peasant class

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
If I remember, it was a several types of prescription drugs for which he had no prescription and $29k in cash---that would have been jail time for us members of the peasant class

Maybe old Jimmy boy should play a 16 game football season and then compare that to the various prescription drugs he was presumably taking and then comment.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay had this to say to Sports Business Daily at the annual owners meeting last week on the dangers of football:

“I believe this: that the game has always been a risk, you know, and the way certain people are. Look at it. You take an aspirin, I take an aspirin, it might give you extreme side effects of illness and your body … may reject it, where I would be fine. So there is so much we don’t know.”

cocainesahellofadrugmeme.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jim had 5 vertebrae and 3 feet of intestine removed and only had to take asperin for 3 days and he was fine. So whats the big deal? take an asprin.:homercrawl:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure the league office hates this. They are trying to carefully manage things, show they are concerned with player's long term health - that way any lawsuit awards would be minimized. And then owners shoot themselves in the wallet by minimizing the risks very publically - which would be pointed out to any juries as reasons why the league has massive liability.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
JIm Irsay is dumb, as dumb as dumb can be
He once killed twitter and now he's killing me!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Breaking news: Risk of war is the same as the risk of playing Call of Duty. God bless those 11 year old's for their heroic service.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Heard an interesting note on ESPN that so far this off-season there have been 21 voluntary retirements of players age 31 and under, including some big names, Calvin Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Jerod Mayo, BJ Raji to name a few. IMO, owners would be wise to keep their mouths shut on the concussion issue, the evidence keeps mounting and it's not in the NFL's favor.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Playing football is much less risky than riding in Jim Irsay's car!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Some people just don't express themselves well. The numbskull probably meant to say, "it's a tough sport. It's not for everybody. Some people's bodies can take the punishment and some cannot. We do all we know how to do up to this point to prevent injuries without ruining our brand". Drugs tend to render thought processes utterly useless. Poor Jim is just feeling the latent effects.