Jets safety Jamal Adams has been traded to the Seattle Seahawks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I really feel like these players prioritize the wrong things during their careers. Being paid is of course important, but going for top dollar over everything else would not be my thinking. I'd be more concerned with which team I'm playing for and whether the Head Coach and staff are legit, whether the scheme is a nice fit for my skills, and where I'd want to raise my family.

Re: the fit with Adams he really fell into a great situation in that Seattle secondary where a guy with his skills will shine all over the defense. But he just as easily could have ended up in a defense that doesn't suit him as well, that stuff is a risk when you're a guy who does everything well.

But back to the NFC West for a moment... Cards made an elite addition to their wideout group who will fit what they want to do and boost a nice young offensive roster. Seahawks the same thing on defense. 9ers had a great draft and the road to the playoffs goes through SF until proven otherwise. I hope both those moves blow up in their faces of course, but this division is real man. We could very easily finish in the basement this season if our OL is not good.

Keep bashing the O”Line. They still only gave up 22 sacks

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Honestly, at this point draft picks are beyond worthless now if you aren't picking in the top 10. And I don't want to be picking in the top 10. Both Jalen and Jamal Adams were top 10 picks.

You have the chance to get a top player @ his position, you go get him. Why do fans worry so much about future unknown, shot in the darks over the superstar they just acquired and get to watch? If you're interested, go look at all the picks in the 20s the past few years. How many of those guys would you want over one Jalen Ramsey or one Jamal Adams (or Khalil Mack for that matter too).

Money? The team will pay him, someway, somehow. They will. They always do.

Then you must be really excited The Rams have Leonard Floyd

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Forgot he was even on the team.

Lol - yeah not a bad McSnead pick up. The Rams got Mark Barron for a late draft pick I believe. Snead does good finding those type of players.
Will see if Staley can coach him up ?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I really feel like these players prioritize the wrong things during their careers. Being paid is of course important, but going for top dollar over everything else would not be my thinking. I'd be more concerned with which team I'm playing for and whether the Head Coach and staff are legit, whether the scheme is a nice fit for my skills, and where I'd want to raise my family.

He‘s a twenty something year old millionaire athlete worshipped and hated by thousands of people at the same time. He just doesn’t think like the rest of us.

TomMack

Rookie
Screw the seachickens.
Getting really tired of every time there’s a big trade or free agent signing their in on it.
Hope this blows up in their face.
Aaron Donald please,please one time before you retire grab Russell Wilson and hammer throw him into the third row.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How does the Jamal Adams trade change the NFC West?

It is now official — the Seattle Seahawks of the NFC West have acquired Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams via trade from the New York Jets. With several players and a slew of future NFL Draft picks moving back and forth between East Rutherford and Seattle, Adams is no doubt the most notable name in the mix while the Seahawks will surely benefit from his services right off the bat.

Adams previously requested a trade away from the Jets as he had grown disgruntled with the team’s higher-ups in addition to the direction in which New York was heading generally speaking. Now much happier as a member of the Seahawks after spending the first three seasons of his professional playing career as a member of “Gang Green,” Adams will have the ability to make an immediate impact for Seattle in the NFC.

View: https://twitter.com/prez/status/1287166618192224258?s=21

Obviously, the fact that Adams is an All-Pro caliber player makes this an immensely interesting deal for the Seahawks, a franchise that has continued to pride itself on the stellar play that it often receives from its defensive backs. However, things also just got a whole lot more interesting in the NFC West division as a whole as this group was already slated to be one of the best in the NFL from top to bottom in 2020-21.

Prior to this deal between the Seahawks and Jets, it appeared as though Seattle and the Los Angeles Rams took a step back this offseason with both the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals making major strides in a variety of different ways. With Adams on board in Seattle, though, the Seahawks have firmly asserted themselves into the highly-competitive race for a NFC West crown in 2020-21 — a battle that now appears to be a three-way race with the aforementioned Rams trailing the rest of the bunch at the present moment.

Even so, and despite the fact that the Rams currently look a bit different than in years past personnel wise, Los Angeles is only a few seasons removed from a NFC West title, NFC Championship and an appearance in the Super Bowl. When the worst team in the division — on paper — has a resume like the Rams, it is pretty evident that things will be heated atop the NFC West in no time.

View: https://twitter.com/prez/status/1287163603523497985?s=21

With the Seahawks managing to add a player like Adams, the potentially infamous trade will go on to serve as the team’s most notable offseason move this time around. In doing so, the Seahawks have upped the ante for the Cardinals and 49ers, NFC West teams which also made intriguing moves this offseason.

In the case of the Cardinals, Arizona traded for former Houston Texans All-Pro wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, who will now be paired with rising NFC quarterback Kyler Murray, running back Kenyan Drake and fellow wideouts Christian Kirk and Larry Fitzgerald. Not only bolstering the team’s offensive attack, though, the Cardinals added former Clemson Tigers defensive standout Isaiah Simmons in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Once seen as the weak link in this division, there is now absolutely no question that the Cardinals will be competing at a high level in every facet of the game in 2020.

View: https://twitter.com/seahawks/status/1287421168035586049?s=21

Slated to enter the upcoming season as the defending NFC champions and most recent winners of the NFC West, the 49ers somehow got even better as well. Adding former Arizona State Sun Devils wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk as a result of the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft, the 49ers also acquired former Washington Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams, a trade that will allow San Francisco to properly replace the recently retired Joe Staley. Like the Cardinals, the 49ers didn’t just focus on offense en route to selecting former South Carolina Gamecocks defensive lineman Javon Kinlaw in the first round this past spring.

Because of all of the offensive firepower that the 49ers and Cardinals added to the fold throughout this very busy and unique offseason, it will be important for NFC West franchises to build stout defenses this season. With the Seahawks attempting to do just that by adding a perennial Pro Bowler in Adams, Seattle has also managed to acquire a player that can lead a defense single-handedly. The most important issue that will certainly need dealing with, however, is the fact that this NFL season will be much different than any other.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jokes on you he can’t cover TE’s!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jokes on you he can’t cover TE’s!

There's nothing irt safety responsibilities where Adams comes up short, the dude can cover TEs. Only concern I have with him is what he'll do when he gets paid. Hopefully put his feet up and go fuck off and hurt his team but I fear his first season there he'll be fully engaged.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's nothing irt safety responsibilities where Adams comes up short, the dude can cover TEs. Only concern I have with him is what he'll do when he gets paid. Hopefully put his feet up and go fuck off and hurt his team but I fear his first season there he'll be fully engaged.
The dude had the 3rd worst coverage rating last year. You're the first person who's said he can cover that I've read including Seahawks fans.

oldnotdead

Legend
This was a stupid trade by the Hawks. I really don't see the value. They gave up 3 draft picks and a player. They gave 2 first rounders and a third as well as a decent safety. If they exercise his 5th-year option it will be about $9.8M and then a ton of money after that. No wonder the Jets jumped at it. Stop and look at how the Hawks play defense. They stay in their base more than most teams in the NFL. Even against a spread offense they will often stay in their base.

Their base is essentially a 2 deep shell so their safeties aren't normally in a man coverage situation. They like to play man on the outside and zone everywhere else. They have speed with their LBs and play their zone scheme aggressively. A safety in that scheme needs two things. He needs 4.4 speed and good play recognition ability. Frankly, those are things you can draft for.

Kam Chancellor was truly a prototype SS at 6'3" and clocking a 4.62 time. What made him special though was his play recognition. BTW Kam was a 5th round pick. Brandon Browner was their FS who had 4.6 speed but was 6'4" so that is very fast for a man of his size. Brandon was a UDFA originally by the Broncos.

The Rams grabbed Rapp right under Seattle's nose. After knowing Rapp's training regime I would be shocked if he wasn't able to time in at least the 4.5 range. He has exactly what you want in an elite safety.

I list Chancellor, Browner, and Rapp to illustrate those good safeties can be had without giving up the farm in a trade. It makes no sense to give up that kind of draft capital for a safety who is going to play in a zone scheme. They will probably move him to their version of FS. But facing a receiving corps like what the Rams have it's not really going to impact how the Rams play. The Rams 3 WRs are an overmatch for the Hawks secondary even with Adams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The dude had the 3rd worst coverage rating last year. You're the first person who's said he can cover that I've read including Seahawks fans.
Not gonna go find proof of it or anything but trust me the dude covers TEs just fine. Every phase of the game he's elite IMO.

And btw they didn't just go get him because of Kittle. They got him because of Higbee too IMO. Higs is poised to do some damage this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy is a flat out Diva who forced his way out of NY by making a public mockery of everyone in the organization. Its like that Jeff George, Terrell Owens, AB switch that cant help but be flipped.
This will turn bad

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I have seen just about every game of his pro career, and Adams is not effective in coverage; plus, he takes bad angles in space.

Now when Adams hits someone, they break. He is elite near the line and in blitz packages. He flies all over the field, and can force turnovers.

As I posted previously, I will be curious to see how Seattle uses him. When they had Kam Chancellor, they did not blitz him; and that’s one of Adams strengths.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Holy stupid sports tropes Batman. If the Sea Chickens can now be referred to as "Gang Green" as an intentional pun or not, I shall henceforth refer to them as "Gallus Gangrenous", which is still an excellent illiteration.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of like Jalen Ramsey. Brinks truck and fake injury.
Agreed. Personally I dislike both players, think they're both assholes and both come with concerns in terms of how hard they'll play and their general give-a-fuck after they get paid the massive contracts that are due. But of course irt the Seahawks they have a history of making excuses for asshole players. Look at Michael Bennett... Those fuckers made him their Man of the Year. Disgusting IMO.

Both those guys are the types of players that the staff needs to cater to, though. Neither fit a "We Not Me" locker room.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of like Jalen Ramsey. Brinks truck and fake injury.
Big difference though is that Ramsey was one of many (and current) players who demanded out of Jacksonville over the dysfunction of that management team. The Jets were bending over backwards to please him. Just couldnt give him the contract he wanted. I hate the Jets and laugh at their misfortune, but even I felt bad for them in this situation.