Jets cut CB Antonio Cromartie

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/jets-make-it-official-cut-antonio-cromartie/

Jets make it official, cut Antonio Cromartie
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 22, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwi4zmi5mza5m2uxyzyxnwnlzti5ndzjn2rmmdg1yty4-e1426188032260.jpeg
Getty Images

This is the time to remind our gentle readers that contracts in the NFL are rarely worth the paper they’re printed on.

(Paper is expensive.)

The Jets announced today that they had released cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who was one year into a four-year, $32 million contract, and will turn 32 in April.

Cromartie struggled, and wasn’t nearly worth that kind of pact last year. So with a non-guaranteed $8 million coming his way, it was an easy call for the Jets to cut bait.

They have an in-house replacement in Marcus Williams. But with Darrelle Revis still quite good but in a decline, the Jets couldn’t afford to keep another veteran corner at premium rates.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cromartie may be declining but I bet he is better than someone's starter somewhere. He would be great depth, or a nickel/dime option if nothing else. Good to see guys like him come available for such purposes, if necessary.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd feel much better about JJ and Tru if there were more CBs on the FA market this year.so far I see 3 or 4 and 2 of them belong to us.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I saw some of the lists and I don't agree with them. My CB FA list goes like this:

1) Josh Norman
2a) Janoris Jenkins
2b) Trumaine Johnson

I gotta relax, but I just want our guys signed long term already.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm being very careful not to wish for our guys to be "locked up long term" because... LOL ... Be careful what you wish for, some fans' wishes are coming true, just in ways they hadn't imagined...

I wish for nice, cap friendly contracts for the players I prefer to be resigned.

Let other fans make that mistake. Not me! Noooo sirree Bob!!!

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I will say, he's like the Boldin of defensive players at their tenure of career, And also who we "should of" drafted instead of Tye Hill.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Without picks like Tye Hill, we wouldn't have all these emotional scars to show off at the meetin's...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Realistically, I see Cromartie's production on an exponential decline from here. We need to focus on long-term solutions at CB.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yeah, we already have two of the best young CBs in football, we just need to sign them.

I dunno where he lands, but somewhere that needs some vet leadership in the secondary.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I saw some of the lists and I don't agree with them. My CB FA list goes like this:

1) Josh Norman
2a) Janoris Jenkins
2b) Trumaine Johnson

I gotta relax, but I just want our guys signed long term already.

Yeah Norman's the best one on the market but he probably won't hit it. Jenks probably won't either, whether it's through tag or whatever. Whichever of the Rams CBs hits the market will get paid, no doubt about it. I assume it will be Tru but who knows.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
With our cap space I seriously doubt our guys go anywhere. Also, unless some FO wants to pull a dick move which could really bite them on the ass later because GMs remember when you jack up a guy's payroll for no reason, they already live with next to no stomach lining... I doubt teams will bid on our guys unless they actually want them. And with our prohibitively large cap space, only a few teams can even play with us. That may end up suppressing the offers a bit. We'll see.