Jer'Zhan Newton Should Be Our Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Isn’t he like 287 lb? The Rams dropped their edge rushers into coverage more than any other team in the league
I think he is suggesting Robinson as an alternative 3T. Could be wrong though. Don't want Robinson anywhere near our edge, unless we are in goal line or some other such short yardage run defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams have a penetrating 3-tech in Turner, imo.
I think Newton is a little too similar.

That being said... getting an interior pass rush that's top notch could help offset not having premium edges a little.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd be fine with any of the following at number 19:

Latu
Turner
Verse
Murphy
Newton

I do think both Robinsons would be a reach at 19. But if either is they guy they want then I think its ok to get your guy a few spots earlier if you can't trade down. Targeting a player and trading down so you don't reach too much is a risk.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've always liked Fig Newtons
Growing up there was a few hundred acres of fig orchards all around our house. Within a ten mile radius it was probably in the thousands of acres. I grew to hate figs. Even Fig Newtons.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Isn’t he like 287 lb? The Rams dropped their edge rushers into coverage more than any other team in the league
What I am saying is he can rush the edge for you. He can rush from the interior on passing downs for you. He can potentially balance this DL at 5T for you. The dude is extremely versatile.

We had a DC change so we'll see how often our edges drop. To some extent that is related to rush potency, as teams often try to overload a side by bringing extra heat to specific gaps. So if they draft a truly dangerous edge rusher and that rusher gets consistent heat on the QB the effect will be quite a bit less zone blitz elements.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The Rams have a penetrating 3-tech in Turner, imo.
I think Newton is a little too similar.

That being said... getting an interior pass rush that's top notch could help offset not having premium edges a little.
I'm fine with whatever direction we go in partly because Turner can play nose and play it well. Sure, the plan is to move him to 3T but you don't have to.

That being said, I was vehemently opposed to moving Avila to center till I saw the Rams plan for guard. I still don't love it but I can see the strategy behind it and am down with it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I figure at least a couple of the edges are ranked above Newton and Murphy. Neither of those two are dominant 3Ts. They're both very good players, certainly appropriate for where we are selecting. And it's a need to add a starter, but I don't view 3T as the ideal technique to add to this front.

Advantage of either of those two would be the Rams would have a nice pass down front on the interior. And that's a big advantage for sure. But personally I am more concerned with general stoutness up front and stopping the run. I don't think either of those guys give us that AD effect. So to me adding the edge and the pressures from those positions being up to snuff is the ideal approach.

I mean take Robinson for example. There's a guy who is long and menacing, who brings versatility to the front. I suspect he's going to be a great pro. So it's not just those top couple who are in play for the Rams here. Edge has serious quality possibilities where we are picking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAk0DFXgiY

I believe the top 3 edges are all rated above them.

dang

Legend
I’d be shocked if Sweat was taken before the end of the 2nd round.
One caveat is the Raiders: they do dumb things like picking him in 1st. Lol
He showing R2.63 on the Consensus Draft Big Board but to your point all it takes is one team willing to pick him earlier in R2. He is likely available at R2.52 should the Rams chose to be that team.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The amount of disruption I see, Newton is the way to go unless Latu is there. At that point, I get why they'd go DE first. Regardless, love either player since they both are way advanced at hand fighting. Also, I don't buy into that crap that a player is maxed out. There's a reason NFL level training staffs exist. Latu and Newton can both become even that much more dangerous if the get developed further by good coaching.

dang

Legend
What I am saying is he can rush the edge for you. He can rush from the interior on passing downs for you. He can potentially balance this DL at 5T for you. The dude is extremely versatile.

We had a DC change so we'll see how often our edges drop. To some extent that is related to rush potency, as teams often try to overload a side by bringing extra heat to specific gaps. So if they draft a truly dangerous edge rusher and that rusher gets consistent heat on the QB the effect will be quite a bit less zone blitz elements.
Im interested in “versatile” players. As a result C DeJean and E Cooper are of interest to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Im interested in “versatile” players. As a result C DeJean and E Cooper are of interest to me.
I like them both too. There are several ways that the Rams can go that would still make me happy.

The only big disappointment would be if they pass on Newton or Murphy after having a shot at one of them. But I’m sure I could get over it quickly unless they draft a guy I don’t want them too, like Thomas or Guyton. I’d be okay with a trade back too if they don’t pass up a potentially great player.

The interesting thing with this draft is that there seems to be a lot of leaders and high character types, which is t always the case.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I’d have to check him out. One thing I usually trust is a homers opinion of their teams players. @Memento didn't seem especially impressed with Darious Robinson.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need to solve edge once and for all. We already know Turner will be sliding over, and it's likely we draft a huge run stuffer to compete with Brown at NT

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’d have to check him out. One thing I usually trust is a homers opinion of their teams players. @Memento didn't seem especially impressed with Darious Robinson.
He's got a lot of cutups out there. One I linked was vs Georgia which is a great draw to watch.