Jerome Simpson to serve 15 days in jail

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2012 ... y=nav|head

bilde

COVINGTON — Update: Judge sentences Bengals WR Jerome Simpson to 15 days in jail and 3 years on probation on drug related charges.

A judge will decide Thursday whether Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Jerome Simpson will spend two months in jail for a drug-related charge.The judge in Covington earlier said he wants to know more from Simpson about two pounds of marijuana shipped to his home in September, just before the last NFL season.

Simpson pleaded guilty on March 1 in Kenton County Circuit Court to the drug-related charge. Prosecutors recommended a 60-day jail stay as part of the plea agreement. The judge will decide whether to lessen the punishment at Thursday’s sentencing hearing.

Simpson was indicted on a felony charge of marijuana trafficking. The plea agreement changed the charge to a prohibited act relating to controlled substances, also a felony.

He is free agent after four seasons with the Bengals.

The Enquirer will update this story.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guess not.

I'm tempering my excitement (as best I can) over this year's off-season action. Aside from the really nice draft day trade, we've brought in a corner who's a lateral move at best, a receiver coming off of a serious knee injury, overpaid a center, and interviewed a receiver who's going to jail. Not saying that this staff is doing a bad job. Just pointing out that I was excited about Leber, Poppinga, Hall, Mikell, MSW, Banan, Dahl, Lloyd, Cadillac, Norwood etc., and only a couple have panned out so far. This team needs to build through the draft - period. Of course we need to plug away at the holes with whoever is available, but this team needs to kill it in the draft. Consistently.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Two pounds is far better than the 8 someone had initially reported. Seriously, two pounds can easily be for personal consumption. Maybe Snoop Dog is one of his buddies. :p

I'd be more down on him if he went out and hurt someone with his consumption. Smokin' some reef? Not so much. Of course if he smokes it all the time, I'd question his ability to be motivated.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
Two pounds is far better than the 8 someone had initially reported. Seriously, two pounds can easily be for personal consumption. Maybe Snoop Dog is one of his buddies. :p

I'd be more down on him if he went out and hurt someone with his consumption. Smokin' some reef? Not so much. Of course if he smokes it all the time, I'd question his ability to be motivated.

Well from my understanding he had 2Lbs shipped to his house. Upon a police search they found the additional 6 and 1/2.

bluecoconuts

Legend
libertadrocks said:
RamFan503 said:

Well from my understanding he had 2Lbs shipped to his house. Upon a police search they found the additional 6 and 1/2.

Shipped to his house??? Like UPS was dropping it off or they nabbed some guy who was driving it over there and he told?

superfan24

Starter
X said:
Guess not.

I'm tempering my excitement (as best I can) over this year's off-season action. Aside from the really nice draft day trade, we've brought in a corner who's a lateral move at best, a receiver coming off of a serious knee injury, overpaid a center, and interviewed a receiver who's going to jail. Not saying that this staff is doing a bad job. Just pointing out that I was excited about Leber, Poppinga, Hall, Mikell, MSW, Banan, Dahl, Lloyd, Cadillac, Norwood etc., and only a couple have panned out so far. This team needs to build through the draft - period. Of course we need to plug away at the holes with whoever is available, but this team needs to kill it in the draft. Consistently.

Same here. Of course I was jumping on the couch pumped about what the previous regime did and we all know how that turned out....
So maybe this could be a good sign :crossed:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not tempering mine, it might be the only chance to get excited...and I'll take it.

I'll go on record with wanting Simpson...he is far different from last years old geezer program. J. Simpson is an ascending player who came into the NFL with raw skills. He has a high ceiling that hasn't been touched yet. Whether the Rams want to take another media hit while this whole bounty biz is going around is part of the question.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Guess not.

Well Finnegan and Dahl are kinda the same type of players. They aren't like, criminals and actually care about football.

Overpaid a center? Ehh but @ least he has character, and so does Smith.

I'm not too worried.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
I'm not tempering mine, it might be the only chance to get excited...and I'll take it.

I'll go on record with wanting Simpson...he is far different from last years old geezer program. J. Simpson is an ascending player who came into the NFL with raw skills. He has a high ceiling that hasn't been touched yet. Whether the Rams want to take another media hit while this whole bounty biz is going around is part of the question.

Yeah count me in for look see too. If he Cheechs then his chance to make the team goes up in smoke. He's going to have to wow in camp with at least a 4 game suspension coming up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:

I'm not against Simpson either. Er, at least I wasn't. Now, with 3 years probation and a history of criminal activity, who's going to sign him? One more strike and boom - jail-time. I did like his athleticism and potential though. Just sorry he may not be an option for us anymore.

Angry Ram said:
Well Finnegan and Dahl are kinda the same type of players. They aren't like, criminals and actually care about football.

I'm not too worried.
Yeah, I'm not bemoaning the signings in as much as I'm wary after the slew of free agents we signed the past couple of years who didn't pan out. Different circumstances this year for sure though. Now there will actually be a camp (an extended one). My point of emphasis is more on how we need to start kicking the draft in the nuts. Just start bringing in (and keeping) NEW guys who can have an impact on the future success of this team. I want that more than anything else I can think of.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
X said:
DR RAM said:

I'm not against Simpson either. Er, at least I wasn't. Now, with 3 years probation and a history of criminal activity, who's going to sign him? One more strike and boom - jail-time. I did like his athleticism and potential though. Just sorry he may not be an option for us anymore.

Angry Ram said:

I'm not too worried.
Yeah, I'm not bemoaning the signings in as much as I'm wary after the slew of free agents we signed the past couple of years who didn't pan out. Different circumstances this year for sure though. Now there will actually be a camp (an extended one). My point of emphasis is more on how we need to start kicking the draft in the nuts. Just start bringing in (and keeping) NEW guys who can have an impact on the future success of this team. I want that more than anything else I can think of.

I feel you.

What I would like to add if I may is the last couple years we have been shopping at the Dollar store not Nordstroms when it comes to FA. With so few cap $$$ it's hard to sign the premium FA's, the ones in their mid 20's that can be used as building blocks not just stop gaps. At least most of the FA's the Rams have signed recently are on contracts that they can get away from in a year with no cap hit.
If the Rams had 40+ mil. in cap space FA would have been much dif. IMO.

The draft is the only way to build, always has been. But when a team gets so far behind on the talent curve it so hard to catch up with the draft alone. If the Rams hit on all 8 picks this year and next there will still be holes to fill.
JMO

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
What that says to me is a very cheap contract....not guaranteed, and a player that has a lot to prove to not screw up or he's out. I think he's still an option or he wouldn't have visited us the day before his hearing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
What that says to me is a very cheap contract....not guaranteed, and a player that has a lot to prove to not screw up or he's out. I think he's still an option or he wouldn't have visited us the day before his hearing.
Perhaps you're right. I guess we'll see. What's abundantly clear is that the criteria for team-building has done a complete 180. Not sure how I feel about that yet. If it results in wins and there is no sacrifice to team chemistry, then great. If not, I guess it can't get any worse.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Guess not.

Good grief X, you just nailed it all perfectly, what took you so long....or were you holding out on us? :?!:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
X said:
Guess not.

Good grief X, you just nailed it all perfectly, what took you so long....or were you holding out on us? :?!:
You know I tend to look for silver linings whenever I can. That was just a little skepticism spilling out of me.
Don't get used to it, because it won't happen often. :ww:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DAMN! This thread is depressing the hell out of me! Am I the only one that is pretty damn excited about what I think our RAMS can be THIS year? I mean I feel it dudes. Our FA class isn't stellar but it isn't that bad. We have good draft position and it appears Snead and Fisher are a good team no? Are yall just bummed because 8 pounds of probably killer weed got confiscated or what? :idk?:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
Are yall just bummed because 8 pounds of probably killer weed got confiscated or what? :idk?:
lol. Yeah, that's probably it. It's kinda sad.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
Guess not.

I think the best part about this offseason is that the roster is younger. We got a pretty damn good replacement for Bartell that is 2 years younger than him. We released 2 +30 year old DTs and picked up Langford (26). Steve Smith has the injury risk but he will be 27 when the season starts.

I also liked the Mulligan and Turner signings just because they know the offense. Will they be on the field a lot? Probably not. They will still help a lot in training camp and practices.

I understand what your saying tho. I think all fanbases have this issue of getting too excited about FA signings, I cant wait until we start being like The Ravens, Pats, Steelers, and Packers, the teams that dont make a "big splash" in FA and they wait a few days before they make signings (and NOT overpaying for those players).