Jenkins takes blame, says 'It won't happen again' --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Alexander is not the guy who will replace McLeod. He is TJ McDonald 2.0 a box safety who will support the run defense. If you are looking to replace McLeod, it will be C. Davis.
It seems like I've certainly seen Davis out there this year, just not that often. Why do you think he doesn't get used more? It seems to me like he has better instincts, is it maybe that McLeod is a better tackler at this point?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher stands by Janoris Jenkins
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12699/jeff-fisher-stands-by-janoris-jenkins

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins' latest coverage miscue resulting in another long touchdown pass hasn't changed how he's viewed by coach Jeff Fisher.

Two days after Jenkins was beat for a pair of touchdowns in the Rams' 31-17 loss to the San Francisco 49ers, Fisher offered a vote of confidence for his third-year cornerback.

Brandon Lloyd was able to beat Janoris Jenkins for a long touchdown on Monday.
Asked whether Jenkins' boom or bust tendency -- the bust showing up most recently on Brandon Lloyd's 80-yard touchdown past Jenkins just before Monday night's halftime -- makes him a high risk/high reward option, Fisher made it clear he doesn't see it that way.

"I disagree," Fisher said. "He's playing corner, it's the hardest position to play in this league. The great part about him is that he's got a short memory. He doesn't let those things bother him. He doesn't make mistakes on purpose, understands our defense. Like I said he will take responsibility for the play. I think it was more of something that we should have kept him out of. I have no concern with his production and his play at this point."

More than a quarter of the way through his third season, Jenkins has been a starter for the Rams since his arrival in St. Louis. In 36 games, he's offered his share of game-changing plays (his five defensive touchdowns are the most in the NFL in that time) while also surrendering plenty of big plays. Lloyd's 80-yard touchdown catch was the second consecutive "Monday Night Football" game where Jenkins has allowed a touchdown covering that distance after then Seattle wideout Golden Taint beat him for one last year.

At other times in his career, Jenkins has been victimized by Atlanta's Julio Jones, San Francisco's Anquan Boldin, Dallas' Dez Bryant and others for big plays. Taking his cues from Fisher, Jenkins points to the ups and downs as part of playing one of the league's most difficult positions.

"They make plays and we make plays," Jenkins said. "You've just got to put it behind you because everybody is going to make a play. It's just when the play is going to be made and how it's going to be made."

The play against the Niners came at the worst possible time. Just before the end of the first half, Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams called for a basic three-deep zone in which it was Jenkins' responsibility to show that he was in a Cover 2 zone before the snap but then back off (known as bail technique) at the snap to stay deep keeping the receiver in front of him.

Instead, Jenkins got caught starting into the backfield and Lloyd beat him with a double move. That's been a common issue for Jenkins since he arrived in the league with that tendency leading to big plays for him but even more against him.

"It was all on me," Jenkins said. "I take full responsibility as a man. I just know on that particular play, I was doing the wrong thing, I was doing my own thing and it won't happen again."

While Jenkins and Fisher are right that the cornerback position is going to come with its ups and downs, it's not the big touchdowns so much as how they're happening that should be concerning. Jenkins' mistakes have come as a result of the same thing happening over and over. That's not a function of simply getting beat so much as a stubborn refusal to make the changes to minimize risk consistently.

With fellow cornerback Trumaine Johnson set to return from a knee injury soon, the Rams will have to do some reshuffling at cornerback. Based on Fisher's comments, it seems unlikely Jenkins' role will be a part of any adjustments.

"It makes me feel like I have always been feeling, normal, comfortable, just eliminate what I can eliminate and just continue to play," Jenkins said.

This is the first time he truly got beat for a touchdown all year.tou can't tell me you haven't seen any improvements in his game. His tackling ability has improved he doesn't commit costly penalties so yes I think he means it when he says it won't happen again.

Early days yet, plenty of time for him to repeat last season's total. He could have done more to prevent the big Bryant TD if it was his responsibility or not.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
At an extremely critical time in the game and knowing the 9'ers were getting the ball to open the second half, these guys should know not to take any risk and give up a big play. Also, any coach would call a coverage to keep everything in front of the secondary given the situation. In Cover-3, JJ knows he is responsible for the outside 1/3rd of the field because he potentially has no safety help. Continued "free-lancing," which is what JJ did on this specific play, will continue to haunt this team. I'm glad he's taking responsibility, but it should have never happened in the first place.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am not absolving Jenkins for biting on the double move, but having his eyes on the QB is the proper technique in ZONE Coverage. Especially if you expect deep safety help.

No doubt. However with Jenks in particular I'm starting to think that if he doesn't start disciplining his eyes when he needs to, and also playing the right coverage that is called for that matter, he's gonna find himself losing snaps when Johnson comes back.

It will be very interesting to say the least to see how they handle playing time for these guys when that happens.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No doubt. However with Jenks in particular I'm starting to think that if he doesn't start disciplining his eyes when he needs to, and also playing the right coverage that is called for that matter, he's gonna find himself losing snaps when Johnson comes back.

It will be very interesting to say the least to see how they handle playing time for these guys when that happens.
I don't think Jenkins is in any danger of losing snaps. What I can see happening, is Johnson comes back, and they slide Gaines to the Nickel. Or quite possibly, slide Jenkins inside and let Johnson and Gaines stay on the outside.

The wild card in this scenario then becomes Joyner. Does he have the range to be able to play FS? If they think he does, than McLeod is the odd man out. Which, IMO, wouldn't be a bad thing. McLeod is playing a more aggressive game this year, but its that aggressiveness that seems to be causing many of his issues.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I don't think Jenkins is in any danger of losing snaps. What I can see happening, is Johnson comes back, and they slide Gaines to the Nickel. Or quite possibly, slide Jenkins inside and let Johnson and Gaines stay on the outside.

The wild card in this scenario then becomes Joyner. Does he have the range to be able to play FS? If they think he does, than McLeod is the odd man out. Which, IMO, wouldn't be a bad thing. McLeod is playing a more agressive game this year, but its that aggressive