Jenkins takes blame, says 'It won't happen again' --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Jenkins takes blame, says 'It won't happen again'

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7b95061c-da49-5a5d-b4c8-99cbedd654ae.html

After getting beaten for two touchdowns against San Francisco, including a backbreaking 80-yard score by Brandon Lloyd at the end of the second quarter, cornerback Janoris Jenkins wasn’t in the best of moods.

Despite some coaxing by the Rams’ media relations department, Jenkins declined to take questions from reporters after Monday’s 31-17 loss the 49ers. On Wednesday, Jenkins tried to make amends.

“I wasn’t running from you all,” Jenkins said following practice at Rams Park.

He took full responsibility for the coverage bust that allowed San Francisco to jump back into the game with 14 seconds left in the first half. Instead of talking a 14-3 lead into the third quarter, the Rams led by only 14-10.

The 49ers got the kickoff to start the second half, mounted an 80-yard touchdown drive to take the lead and never looked back.

“Basically, he just ‘double-moved’ me,” Jenkins said. “My eyes were in the wrong position. Basically that was it.”

On third-and-6 from the San Francisco 20 with 27 seconds left in the half, Lloyd raced downfield, faked as if he was taking his route inside, then quickly cut back outside and down the field, leaving Jenkins in his wake.

“That was all on me,” Jenkins said Wednesday. “I take full responsibility on that as a man. That’s what happened.”

The Rams were supposed to be playing a Cover 3 defense in the play, with both cornerbacks playing off the line and one defender deep in the middle of the field. But Jenkins instead was right up on Lloyd at the line of scrimmage as if in man-to-man coverage.

Jenkins used what’s known as the “bail” technique right before the snap: turning sideways, moving back a few yards from the line of scrimmage and looking back at the quarterback.

That helped Lloyd get behind Jenkins immediately. But Jenkins basically had caught up when Lloyd got him with the double move, with Jenkins biting on the fake.

“I was surprised,” Jenkins said. “But I’ve got to stay back.”

Obviously, the worst thing you can do in that situation — with just a few seconds left in the half — is allow a receiver to get behind you. A short or intermediate completion probably doesn’t lead to any points with so little time left on the clock.

It was the second long touchdown pass Jenkins has allowed because of a double move this season. Three weeks ago against Dallas, Jenkins was burned on a double move by Dez Bryant for a 68-yard score.

Jenkins has always been one to take gambles, sometimes resulting in big plays for the Rams. He had an interception return for a TD earlier in that same game against Dallas, and had three “pick 6’s” as a rookie in 2012.

Fisher disagreed with the notion that there was a high risk-high reward aspect to Jenkins’ game.

“He’s playing corner,” Fisher said. “It’s a hard position to play in this league. The great part about him is he’s got a short memory. He doesn’t let those things bother him.

“He doesn’t make mistakes on purpose, understands our defense, and he will take responsibility for the play. I think it was more something that we should’ve kept him out of. But I have no concern with his production and his play at this point.”

So Fisher is as confident as ever in Jenkins?

“Yes,” Fisher replied.

Big plays have been a bugaboo for the Rams’ secondary much of this season — and not just from Jenkins, the team’s No. 1 cornerback. No doubt Jenkins hasn’t seen his last double move from an opposing wide receiver. Teams are going to test him until he shows he’s no longer susceptible to the play.

“I’ll be glad (if teams do),” Jenkins said. “It don’t matter. I just know that on that particular play I was doing the wrong thing. I was doing my own thing. And it won’t happen again.”

When Fisher alluded to the play being something the Rams should’ve kept Jenkins “out of,” he was referring to the defensive play call. The only deep help Jenkins had on the play was middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, who made a deep coverage drop that you normally see in Cover 2 coverage.

Both Rams safeties ended up closer to the line of scrimmage, trying to surprise the 49ers by defending intermediate and underneath routes. But in this case, the Niners won the chess match. Expecting a linebacker to catch a wide receiver on a deep ball isn’t realistic.

In any event, Jenkins said he was able to shrug off the Lloyd touchdown during the game.

“You’ve still got two more quarters or whatever,” he said. “They get paid just as well as we do. They make plays and we make plays. So you’ve just got to put it behind you because everybody’s gonna make a play.”

But for Jenkins, it’s been a rollercoaster of good plays/bad plays in his young NFL career. Lots of high and lows. However, Jenkins’ confidence doesn’t appear to be shaken, and it must feel good to know the head coach is still in your corner.

“It makes me feel how I’ve always been feeling,” Jenkins said. “Normal. Comfortable. I’ll just eliminate what I can eliminate and just continue to play. ... I’ll be OK.”

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Can't really blame Jenks, I know it was a terrible decision but i'm guessing he was thinking he was gonna get another pick 6 and seal the game. That double-edged blade...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get that Jenks is talented, and I know Fish is going to protect him and stand up for him. But I'm tired of watching him blow coverages. It's an enormous problem for this defense, that they cannot TRUST each other. He needs to be benched in my opinion, but Fish doesn't have another option until Tru returns.

Get Tru in there opposite Gaines as the top two CBs and Jenks will begin to understand the importance of playing within the scheme. That is what this defense is missing, is that all-togetherness, the trust the top defenses have. Sit him on the pine, IMO.

lockdnram21

Legend
I get that Jenks is talented, and I know Fish is going to protect him and stand up for him. But I'm tired of watching him blow coverages. It's an enormous problem for this defense, that they cannot TRUST each other. He needs to be benched in my opinion, but Fish doesn't have another option until Tru returns.

Get Tru in there opposite Gaines as the top two CBs and Jenks will begin to understand the importance of playing within the scheme. That is what this defense is missing, is that all-togetherness, the trust the top defenses have. Sit him on the pine, IMO.
this was his only bad game hes been good the other 4 games

A55VA6

Legend
Jenkins is a risk-taker. Sometimes he bites on a route and ends up getting burned, but sometimes it works out for him and he makes a great play. He has 6 INT's with 4 of them being TD's in less than 3 seasons in the NFL. Pretty impressive. He just needs to play a bit smarter without losing his aggressive play style and he could be a really good corner in the NFL.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Jenkins is a risk-taker. Sometimes he bites on a route and ends up getting burned, but sometimes it works out for him and he makes a great play. He has 6 INT's with 4 of them being TD's in less than 3 seasons in the NFL. Pretty impressive. He just needs to play a bit smarter without losing his aggressive play style and he could be a really good corner in the NFL.

Most of that was rookie year. Like most of the Rams so far this year, he's got the talent but his head is frequently up his ass.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
GW's defensive calls require discipline, good comms and execution. And while yes you could say all defenses do, they're not just sitting back keeping the plays in front of them in the secondary. GW allows them to adjust and aggressively attacks the offense.

This defense will not get where it needs to be until these guys start playing what is called. JLau summed that up perfectly, IMO. Jenks represents a serious problem in that respect.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
If JJ is going to be a great corner he needs two stop making rookie mistakes. This is his 3rd year in the league he should be emerging as one of the leaders on the unit.

Simba

Rookie
3 years ago, when he was rookie, he spent 4/5 games where the opponens searched for the receivers he controlled.It was hard moment for him.Then he went out .He can do the same.Come on JJ.

Last edited:
At least he's taking responsibility would love to think it won't happen again but it's happened too many times to think it won't.

Athos

Legend
Taking blame is well and good but until I see all these changes these guys speak up after taking their blame pill, I'm not gonna believe it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A double move is nearly impossible to cover if the receiver knows what he's doing. That being said, in that situation,,, the corner cannot bite on the fake... He's got to protect against the deep threat. You can't allow the receiver to get behind you with just seconds remaining in the half and no safety help. Give up the completion on the sideline,,, never over the top.

Jack Rabbit was at fault, but so was the coach who called that defense at that particular time in the game. Better to be safe than sorry.

I like Jack Rabbit. No CB makes every play... and they said it correctly in this piece... you gotta have a short memory to play CB in the NFL.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jenkins: “That Was All On Me, I Take Full Responsibility”
Watch Janoris Jenkins talk to the media after Wednesday’s Week 7 practice. (2:44)

Watch Jenkins Comments

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
“You’ve still got two more quarters or whatever,” he said. “They get paid just as well as we do. They make plays and we make plays. So you’ve just got to put it behind you because everybody’s gonna make a play.”

I don't like him. Especially when he throws a jab at the offense while he is trying to man up and take the blame. Jenkins is a risk taker and it has cost the Rams on many occasions. He needs to grow up and play the system with discipline and be part of the team. His freelancing is getting very old for me.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Every DB gets burned badly
He didn't commit a stupid penalty or implode - it was a great move by Lloyd that JJ bit on hard
He just got burned bad with no safety help

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
GW's defensive calls require discipline, good comms and execution. And while yes you could say all defenses do, they're not just sitting back keeping the plays in front of them in the secondary. GW allows them to adjust and aggressively attacks the offense.

This defense will not get where it needs to be until these guys start playing what is called. JLau summed that up perfectly, IMO. Jenks represents a serious problem in that respect.
with 30 seconds to go deep in there own territory GW puts man on man coverage out there with JL suppose to play deep middle? with the safeties playing underneath? what if Jenkins hadnt bit but simply fell down? Same result. Williams is coaching like a fucking idiot