Jeffery Simmons possible ACL injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's hoping that said injury makes him fall to us. He's one of the best players in this class when healthy.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Snead can go get him with one of the eleventy-seven 6th round draft picks we'll eventually have ;)

Ram65

Legend
It is a shame for the kid. That's one less defensive player available which hurts the Rams and all the early mocks.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Don't think he falls much past the ens of the 2nd even with the complete ACL tear. He could be back playing a bit part in a rotation by mid November if everything goes well with rehab etc. That would be a cheap pickup for a very good player.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Don't think he falls much past the ens of the 2nd even with the complete ACL tear. He could be back playing a bit part in a rotation by mid November if everything goes well with rehab etc. That would be a cheap pickup for a very good player.
I think a team like the Dolphins, in full on tank mode for 2019, make sense in the 2nd. They get a player with top 15 talent and don't really care about the lack of production this year.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I just saw this. Sucks so bad for him because he's awesome and I'm a big fan of his college play. Maybe he can slide to us and we can hold him on IR until he's ready

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Mississippi St. DT Jeffery Simmons tears ACL in workout; could he be in play for Los Angeles Rams in 2019 NFL Draft?

Horrible news out of Starkville for the young defensive lineman. Thought of as a top half of the 1st round prospect, how far will he fall because of the injury?
Feb 12, 2019, 4:02pm CST

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ssippi-st-dt-jeffery-simmons-tears-acl-injury
878152052.jpg.0.jpg

Mississippi State Bulldogs DT Jeffery Simmons talks with HC Dan Mullen against the Ole Miss Rebels, Nov. 23, 2017.
Photo by Butch Dill/Getty Images

pic.twitter.com/0NAzPv0bvY

— Jeffery Simmons (@GrindSimmons94) February 12, 2019
Mississippi St. Bulldogs DT Jeffery Simmons tore his ACL this weekend during a workout while preparing for the 2019 NFL Draft. It’s horrible news for one of the best prospects in the draft as he’ll have surgery on the knee early next week.

While there’s no definitive timetable on his return, he won’t even be at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine for a medical check due to an offense from before he even got to Starkville, Mississippi. In March 2016, Simmons was involved in an altercation with a woman in which he was shown on video repeatedly punching her while she was on the ground. Though he was charged with assault, he was suspended for just a single game at MSU. That assault charge meant he would not be eligible to attend the combine which instituted a rule in 2016 that denies violent offenders from attending.

Now, his knee injury makes his stock fall even further:

Reached out to several NFL executives about Mississippi state DT Jefferey Simmons. I’ve had four responses so far, and all four say he will fall out of the first round due to his torn ACL.

— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) February 12, 2019
And that makes things interesting for the Los Angeles Rams. Sitting at #31, the Rams are going to have to let the draft come to them even if General Manager Les Snead opts to trade up a couple of spots. Simmons could well drop to 31 or even beyond if a trade down is Snead’s preference. With DL Ndamukong Suh likely to exit via free agency and DT Michael Brockers a potential cap casualty, Simmons’ on-field talents would certainly make him a strong candidate. His off-field exploits however along with an injury will make him a risky pick regardless of his football prowess.

Now though, a player who was 12th on ESPN’s Mel Kiper’s big board (ESPN+ subscription required) and went 17th in Mocking the Draft’s Dan Kadar’s most recent mock is likely to be in play for the Rams at 31.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure how I would feel about drafting a guy at 31 wouldn't be ready for next year and now has a higher likelihood to morph into Dominic Easley with Spontaneous Knee Combustion Syndrome. Maybe that's an extreme take, but he doesn't fill me with hope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure how I would feel about drafting a guy at 31 wouldn't be ready for next year and now has a higher likelihood to morph into Dominic Easley with Spontaneous Knee Combustion Syndrome. Maybe that's an extreme take, but he doesn't fill me with hope.

Do you remember when we drafted Todd Gurley coming off a torn ACL? I'd say that panned out quite well. Easley had persistent knee issues in college. Simmons missed a total of ONE game in his college career, and he missed that game due to a suspension from an arrest that occurred when he was in high school. One torn ACL is not a big deal.

As for him being ready for next year, he's a special player. He would be the #1 DT in quite a few draft classes. He's been compared to Suh. He's worth the risk. You don't typically get a top 10 talent at #31. If we have to wait half a season or a season for him to play, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The part that bothers me is the video of him repeatedly punching a woman while she was on the ground.

No thanks. This guy is a POS. I would rather not h ave to root for him as a Ram, or for the other shoe to drop from a domestic violence charge. I'm surprised that a few of you here are clamoring for the guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The part that bothers me is the video of him repeatedly punching a woman while she was on the ground.

No thanks. This guy is a POS. I would rather not h ave to root for him as a Ram, or for the other shoe to drop from a domestic violence charge. I'm surprised that a few of you here are clamoring for the guy.

Kid has behaved himself through college and reportedly hit her after she attacked his sister. If he had misbehaved in college, I'd be less inclined to let it go. But unless something was covered up, he kept his nose clean.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Jrry said it. Simmons has been a model citizen after that, and he exhibited a great deal of remorse and owned up to what he did, unlike certain other college stars (such as Joe Mixon).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Do you remember when we drafted Todd Gurley coming off a torn ACL? I'd say that panned out quite well. Easley had persistent knee issues in college. Simmons missed a total of ONE game in his college career, and he missed that game due to a suspension from an arrest that occurred when he was in high school. One torn ACL is not a big deal.

As for him being ready for next year, he's a special player. He would be the #1 DT in quite a few draft classes. He's been compared to Suh. He's worth the risk. You don't typically get a top 10 talent at #31. If we have to wait half a season or a season for him to play, I'm perfectly fine with that.
I would do it! Rams only have five DL'ers under contract currently. Brockers will be a UFA next year @ this time.

Snead then could address the Nose Tackle later on day 2 or 3. Would give the Rams some young talented DL'ers to go with the old men of the unit Michael Brockers & Aaron Donald 28 yrs old. The other 3 DL'er under contract are Tanzel Smart & Joseph-Day both 24 yrs old & Franklin-Myers only 22 yr old.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not sure how I would feel about drafting a guy at 31 wouldn't be ready for next year and now has a higher likelihood to morph into Dominic Easley with Spontaneous Knee Combustion Syndrome.

The proper medical term is "Sam Bradford" ... e.g., "his knee went all Sam Bradford on him."

Trust me. I know these things.

:)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jrry said it. Simmons has been a model citizen after that, and he exhibited a great deal of remorse and owned up to what he did, unlike certain other college stars (such as Joe Mixon).

He was punching a woman while she was on the ground! Of course he has remorse, it could have screwed up his NFL career. The guy is nearly 300 pounds, how stupid does he have to be to beat a woman, especially while she’s down?

No thanks. I don’t care how sorry he claims to be.