Jeff Fisher steps aside from competition committee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/24/jeff-fisher-steps-aside-from-competition-committee/

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has his hands full moving to Los Angeles at the moment, so he’s going to take one thing off his plate.

Fisher said at the Scouting Combine that he was stepping aside from the league’s competition committee, telling commissioner Roger Goodell two weeks ago of the decision.

Fisher said he hoped it was a “leave of absence” rather than a permanent shift, with the logistics of taking a team from St. Louis to L.A. gave him enough to do.

The committee has had to deal with some shuffling recently, with chairman Rich McKay of the Falcons was suspended from it for nearly five months after the Falcons were caught pumping fake crowd noise into the Georgia Dome.

The remaining members of the committee include Giants owner John Mara, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, Packers president Mark Murphy, Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome, Texans G.M. Rick Smith, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis and Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Fisher stated at the Combine that he's stepped down from the Comp Committee due to increased time requirements due to move.

Will that change anything?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher stated at the Combine that he's stepped down from the Comp Committee due to increased time requirements due to move.
Sounds reasonable! Was he a member of the competition committee when he made the move from Houston to Tenn.!?

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher steps down from competition committee
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-fisher-steps-down-from-competition-committee

INDIANAPOLIS -- With what could become the busiest offseason in his two-plus decades as an NFL head coach, Jeff Fisher is making a couple of important changes to help him get through it.

"Yeah, the only thing I’ve adjusted is sleep," Fisher said, laughing. "I’m not sleeping. No, it’s been fine. Our group is doing really well, they’re prepared. They have got a lot done in a short period of time. But again going back to my original comments, it’s about the players right now. I have got to spend time with our players, be it here or free agency."

Having been through a move before when he was the coach of the Houston Oilers turned Tennessee Titans, Fisher knows all of the offseason trappings that go with a move. It's what makes him uniquely equipped to guide the Rams through their move from St. Louis to Los Angeles all while juggling the important football decisions that must be made in the meantime.

Considering all that currently sits on his plate, Fisher decided it was best to move on from another task that usually occupies plenty of his time in the offseason: the competition committee. Fisher has been one of the longest-tenured members of that committee aside from a short hiatus when he was out of coaching in 2011 and has long held his position on that panel as a meaningful job.

But with everything Fisher and the Rams are going through, he decided it was time to at least take a break from those duties.

"Two weeks ago I had a conversation with the commissioner and I stepped down for the committee, for obvious reasons," Fisher said. "I spoke to some of the other committee members, and just the time required of me as far as this move is concerned makes this really difficult to commit 100 percent. I look at it as hopefully being a leave of absence. But I'm not participating right now."

Entering the fifth and final year of his contract, Fisher has to ensure that the Rams have a successful offseason so the team is ready to go when the season begins. The Rams have a dozen players set to become unrestricted free agents in March, a process that comes on the heels of this week's scouting combine here and a March 4 informational meeting with the players in Los Angeles. Somewhere in there, the Rams hope to finalize a site for their in-season training facility and training camp after their approximately three-month stay in Oxnard, California, for the offseason program.

That's a lot to do with not a lot of time to do it. Which means removing just one activity from the list could go a long way in ensuring the Rams a smooth transition upon their return to Los Angeles.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:argue:Fisher's stepping down! Holy crap! So you think Martz takes over? First LA, then JL and Chris. Now this?!!
:argue:Hold your horses. He's stepping down from the Competition Committee. Not as coach of the Rams.
:whistle:Oh. Ok. Does Martz know before he steps on a plane or something?
:palm: