Jeff Fisher: RGIII someone we have to consider

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is the opposite of what Jim Thomas posted yesterday in his chat.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/nfl-chat-with-jim-thomas-3-22-16.43707/

"I heard second-hand _ and I repeat, second-hand _ that the Rams aren't really interested in RGIII."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/23/jeff-fisher-rgiii-someone-we-have-to-consider/

Jeff Fisher: RGIII someone we have to consider
Posted by Josh Alper on March 23, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptawyje2yzawzgiymdu4odgymdgzymmwyze1ytgyzgnl-e1441035590643.jpeg
Getty Images

The Rams traded away the right to draft quarterback Robert Griffin III in 2012 for a big return, although they haven’t been able to turn that bounty of picks into a playoff berth over the last four seasons.

A big reason for that has been the lack of strong quarterback play, something that has left the team withCase Keenum and Nick Foles as their top two quarterbacks heading into the 2016 season. During an interview with NFL Network, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was asked if the current makeup of the depth chart made it possible that things could come full circle with the currently unsigned Griffin.

“I think it’s something we have to consider. We’ve looked at the tape,” Fisher said. “I was very impressed with him prior to the draft.”

Fisher added that the Rams weren’t in a hurry to add a free agent, which might make Griffin interest a moot point as the Browns appear to be thinking about adding him to their own quarterback stew. If things play out that way, Fisher sounds like he’d be OK.

“It’s a position we need to upgrade, but we can win games with Case,” Fisher said.

It seems likely that the Rams will add someone to the mix this offseason. Their general lack of urgency about doing so makes it feel likelier that Keenum remains on top of the depth chart in the near term, however.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“I was very impressed with him prior to the draft.”

So were the Redskins, and they just released him.

So where are all the guys who were all over this trade as "the Redskins won it" these days HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

If I was a WASH fan I'd be SO pizzed off because I'd be thinking "we could have had Cousins AND all the picks".

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
“It’s a position we need to upgrade, but we can win games with Case,” Fisher said.

So does that imply that RGIII IS an upgrade, and he believes Keenum is ok to win some games but not as many as RGIII would??? Unless Keenum can light up the passing game, I still think RGIII would keep more defences off from just crushing TGII on all plays...

fearsomefour

Legend
So does that imply that RGIII IS an upgrade, and he believes Keenum is ok to win some games but not as many as RGIII would??? Unless Keenum can light up the passing game, I still think RGIII would keep more defences off from just crushing TGII on all plays...
Physically, he is a big upgrade over Keenum. Ability to move, run, arm talent ect. But then again, Kyle Boller is probably still more gifted physically. Physical talent is over rated in QBs.
I want a guy who can win between the ears. Keenum showed some signs of this last year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Physically, he is a big upgrade over Keenum. Ability to move, run, arm talent ect. But then again, Kyle Boller is probably still more gifted physically. Physical talent is over rated in QBs.
I want a guy who can win between the ears. Keenum showed some signs of this last year.

I hope you're right, I'm just worried that defences won't fear Keenum as much as an in-form healthy RGIII

fearsomefour

Legend
I hope you're right, I'm just worried that defences won't fear Keenum as much as an in-form healthy RGIII
They probably won't. They won't have to really prepare for him running.
A QB who can read a D and deliver the ball on time will always be worth more than a QB that can run. The running QB is the most overhyped thing in the history of the NFL.
Keenum was up and down in my opinion this year past....but, I did like some of what he could do.
In a world (cue the movie promo voice guy) where a QB like Bradford (whom I really like) can demand $18 a year or whatever with his injury history....or a guy like Tyrod Taylor (no opinion) is asking for the same with almost no playing history....man, QB valuations are insane.
I would add a QB every year. I don't care if I had a yearly Pro-Bowl guy at QB I would never stop searching the "next" guy. It may be a 7th round pick, but, I would add one every year until I found a guy. Of course, I would add O line and D line every year too.

Ram Man

Rookie
The Rams are making the best of a bad market for QB's. They'll draft a QB high in 2016 to develop for 2017. They may also bring in another option for cheap between now and when the season starts.

There are going to be some guys that are the odd men out in the game of starting QB musical chairs teams are playing right now. Once the rest of the teams have picked through the available options and chosen the QB's they want, there are going to be some guys left out in the cold. It might be a guy like RGIII, Kapernick or Fitz. It might be someone else who gets cut loose when teams are cutting down their rosters before the start of the regular season. Unlike now, these guys will have zero leverage in negotiating a deal with the Rams. The Rams will be an attractive landing spot for them. Don't get me wrong, these types of guys are the equivalent of buying a "scratched and dented" goods isle of the store. What is important is that these guys will be good values compared to most of the QB's being signed right now. Some of these "scratch and dent" guys might be serviceable at QB for a year if things go well. If not, they will cost the team next to nothing. The Rams will be able to get rid of them at will with little to no effect on their salary cap for 2017. If Osweiler ends up being a disappointment even in camp the Texans are screwed. If the Rams sign RGIII cheap and he disappoints in camp, the Rams have other options and it's not a problem.

Ramatik

Starter
A QB who can read a D and deliver the ball on time will always be worth more than a QB that can run. The running QB is the most overhyped thing in the history of the NFL.

Man, that was just beautiful prose right there.

We should get that etched into stone....

Then hit somebody with it.

I hope somebody signs RGLoser soon so that particular bit of drama will be over with.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
RGIII is not an upgrade over Keenum. Plus, he's fragile. And I don't think he has it between the ears. Keenum is a hard worker if nothing else. He has his shortcomings, but he'll work to improve other areas of his game that is possible to improve. Can we win with Keenum? Yes we can. Will we win enough with Keenum? That remains to be seen. I think he'll be the guy this season because there are no clear cut upgrades available right now.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Would fully support cutting Foles, and using his roster spot to bring in RGIII on a 'prove it' type deal. If he sucks cut him loose.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That was prior to the Draft. How does he feel now!?!;)

I have a feeling things have changed since then. A lot of fans wanted us to trade Bradford and draft RGIII. I wonder how our fortunes would have changed? So many variations of that trade. Would we trade up for Austin without the extra pick? Who woulda been our 2nd round pick with only one? We likely would not have picked Brockers. With only one pick I doubt we pick Aaron Donald when our top need was tackle. We would be a totally different team if we drafted RGIII. Would we be better? Or worse?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That Fisher actually said "it's a position we need to upgrade" makes me feel a million times better

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have a feeling things have changed since then. A lot of fans wanted us to trade Bradford and draft RGIII. I wonder how our fortunes would have changed? So many variations of that trade. Would we trade up for Austin without the extra pick? Who woulda been our 2nd round pick with only one? We likely would not have picked Brockers. With only one pick I doubt we pick Aaron Donald when our top need was tackle. We would be a totally different team if we drafted RGIII. Would we be better? Or worse?
I believe the answer is quite obvious! We would definitely be a lot worse! But you knew that!(y):LOL:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I continue to be amazed at how the media pushes RG3 on us when he's not a fit. IMO it's a good sign that the Rams understand this and have not as of yet made a real push for him. Bringing him in would require a change in direction in the offense, with more dumbing it down and simplification of reads for him along with some designed option stuff. It would be idiotic to sign him.

Basically my take is that if they sign him it will be a desperation move. I'd rather they keep loading the QB room in the draft with guys who have the intelligence and give a F to learn an NFL offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course they should consider him
They could use a guy who Donald and crew can practice THIS on
DAT-SACK.gif

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

On contract extension for himself, Fisher said: "I'm not concerned about it... We've got a lot to do right now, things to take care of."

On 5th-year options for Ogletree/T. Austin, Fisher said Rams want to keep both for "long time." Said all but certain to use option on AO.

On Janoris Jenkins, Fisher said Rams were "a lot closer than people think" to retaining him.

At cornerback, Fisher said he expects Coty Sensabaugh to compete for job outside with E.J. Gaines "and/or a draft choice."

At kicker, Fisher said Rams still have mutual interest with Greg Zuerlein but reiterates that a real competition will exist there.

Fisher said the hope for the Rams is to lock up CB Trumaine Johnson for the long-term in the near future.

Fisher said Rams will explore their options at safety but acknowledged that Cody Davis, Mo Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner, C. Bryant are options

Fisher says he anticipates having everyone, including those returning from injury, ready to go for start of OTAs, set to begin end of May.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is set to speak to media shortly. Likely to confirm China game in 2018 and Hard Knocks.