Jeff Fisher - Post Practice Presser (video & transcript)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[stl]1e4415b4-12cd-4189-a194-544acc08473f[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Head-Coach-Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference/1e4415b4-12cd-4189-a194-544acc08473f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 4acc08473f</a>

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – June 13, 2013

(On how practice went)
“Practice was good. As you can see we’re doing a lot of situational stuff. We’ve come a long way through the program and through the OTAs to the point where we just about have everything. We have one more day and then everything will be installed. Then, as we’ve said, we’ll start all over again with the installation at training camp.”

(On if he’s been able to do more situational work this year compared to last year)
“No we got the same stuff in. The difference is that guys are familiar with it. It was introduced to them for the first time last year. A lot of it becomes repetitive.”

(On how he thinks the spring has gone for the team)
“First and foremost, you want to bring the rookies up to speed and we’ve done that. I think each one of them to a man has done a real good job learning the system and getting caught up physically, so that’s encouraging. The challenge for them is now is to maintain that before they come back and then it’s just a lot different being in year two in the systems. There’s a much greater understanding at this point and you’re able to go back and look at things as you install them. You’ve got cutups from the year before. So, obviously, our offense is way ahead of where we were.”

(On if the veterans are done with OTAs after this week)
“The rookies have one more week here, yes. That week will be primarily just conditioning. Just training, pushing the conditioning level, getting ready for camp, and then there will be some off-the-field activities.”

(On how he likes this team)
“We have a lot of work to do. I like the commitment. We’ve said that from Day 1. They’ve put in a lot of hard work into an offseason program. The attendance was near perfect. We have a few guys that we’re monitoring and watching, just trying to get through on a daily basis. This team is going to come back healthy and ready to go. They’ve made a great commitment.”

(On if he gives the players a final message before they break)
“Well, yes. They know that they’ll be tested when they return, so there’s an incentive to stay in shape. They’re going to get their workout package. They’re going to get the list of reminders. You know all those things associated with summer. It’s the four wheelers and the wave runners, all those things because strange things happen out there and, most of the time, they’re accidental and then to make sure that you’re taking of your body and making good decisions.”

(On how much OL Barrett Jones did during the spring)
“Barrett’s picked up quite a bit – the activity level, the conditioning, the weight, the strength – so he has a good understanding. He’s participated in the walk-thrus from that standpoint. He’ll be pretty much good to go when he comes back. We may have to watch him for a week or so, but he should be cleared.”

(On how much fun it has been to be able to come to work and coach with his son)
“We have a couple situations like that, but he’s an assistant coach. So, that’s kind of the approach that we take. We’re going different directions on Father’s Day.”

(On Craig Dahl’s comments concerning the Rams picking up tips from the 49ers)
“You know, I heard a little bit about it. First off, any time a player that’s involved in the system changes addresses, there’s always going to be some sort of debriefing. That always happens, so that’s not unusual. I heard the guys were kind of joking back and forth, but that’s how they are.”

(On experiencing a similar back and forth rivalry against Jacksonville when he coached in Tennessee)
“That goes way back and there’s a story behind that, but I wasn’t particularly very popular down there for a lot of years.”

(On CB Cortland Finnegan’s tweets)
“I really didn’t pay attention. They (Finnegan and Dahl) have respect for each other because they played well in a very productive defense together.”

(On DE William Hayes potentially giving up more money to stay with the Rams)
“Will got an opportunity last year to play and he took advantage of it. He was very productive for us. He understands the rotation. He gets along great with (DE) Chris (Long) and it’s important that we got him back. We’re just happy that we got things done. Most of the attention went to ‘Cookie’ (TE Jared Cook), but Will was very important for us as well.”

(On CB Robert Steeples)
“He’s done a good job. His background there was he played a lot of nickel and then transferred because he wanted to start. We worked him out very early and liked what we saw. He’s got ability and again, as it is the case with a lot of those guys, his opportunities are going to be heavily dependent on his special teams production in the preseason.”

(On what his plans are after the rookies leave)
“I’ll probably take some time away. You won’t find me and I’m not going to tweet about it either (laughs).”

(On if he thinks that S T.J. McDonald has benefitted from being around football all his life)
“You see it in his play, but we noticed it immediately as soon as we met him at the combine interview. You got a good sense for his understanding. He knows the game. He knows both sides. What’s impressive about him is that he has a really good understanding of offense. A lot of guys will come in with an understanding of the defense and concepts of what they’re supposed to do, but he’s light years ahead from an offensive standpoint.”