Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, Alec Ogletree, Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[stl]f4c3cc42-64a2-4559-a7f3-44fe08670bc3[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/WR-Austin-and-LB-Ogletree-Press-Conference/f4c3cc42-64a2-4559-a7f3-44fe08670bc3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... fe08670bc3</a>

(Opening statement)
Jeff Fisher: “Good afternoon everyone, to our friends in the media and to all of our Ram employees who are here. Day Two of the draft is always exciting because we get to go upstairs and pick more players and add to our success in the draft. But secondly, and probably most importantly, it’s an opportunity for you to meet the culmination of a lot of hard work and of course, what took place last night in our two No. 1 draft choices—to my far left, Alec Ogletree, and to my immediate left, Tavon Austin. Welcome them here for us. What we’re going to do is go right to questions and see if anyone has any questions for these new Rams.”

(On what the last 24 hours have been like)
Tavon Austin: “These last 24 hours have been crazy. It’s been a dream come true since I was a kid. I’m thankful that the whole Rams staff made the jump and came and got me. I’m pretty much happy that I’m here now and ready to get to work.”

Alec Ogletree: “Basically the same for me. It was very exciting yesterday to even be a part of the draft this year. I really want to thank the Rams organization for taking a chance on me, and I’m ready to get to work, too.”

(On when the dream of reaching the NFL began)
Austin: “It started when I was seven-years-old. Everybody always has some kind of gift. I’m probably not the biggest guy in the world. I wish I was two inches taller, but I can’t (be). I always stuck with it, this is my dream. There had been times my mother would chase me down. She ran track in her days, and she used to chase me down. I always knew I always had it. It was just a matter of time, just sticking with it and making my dreams come true.”
(On when he realized he was faster than most people)
Austin: “Since I was younger, I’ve always been the type to be the fastest on the team. There have been some teams that I haven’t been the fastest, but I’ve always been one of the quickest guys on the team.”

(On if he realized he was quicker than others as a kid on a playground)
Austin: “Just being outside all day. My grandma and mom would tell me, ‘Don’t run in this house all day.’ So you’re outside, you’re having fun.”

(On if he would have played basketball in high school if he was taller)
Austin: “I played basketball for three years. I started at point guard for two, and then we had a new coach my junior year and I was like a sixth man. Pretty much, I took off my senior year, but I played basketball. Football was my gift, so I had to stay on this route.”

(On if he can dunk)
Austin: “Off a hoop. I can’t grip a ball, but I can dunk off a hoop.”

(On what it means to Austin to be able to improve the lives of his mother and grandmother)
Austin: “That’s my number one goal, to get them out of the hood. I don’t know if they want to leave Baltimore or not, but I’m definitely going to move them to a nice place outside in the county, Harford County, or something like that where it’s a gated community. Pretty much, I know they’re comfortable while I’m here working, and they’re back there just waiting for my game days on Sunday.”

(On the challenge of playing in a division with two mobile quarterbacks)
Ogletree: “I’m definitely up for the challenge. I’m very comfortable in my ability to tackle someone and run them down. I feel like when we’re in between the lines, no one’s faster than me. I feel like everyone’s the same speed, and maybe I’ll even be faster. I definitely look forward to the challenge of facing two of the great quarterbacks in the league this year.”

(On if he could run down Tavon Austin)
Ogletree: “I don’t know. We’re on the same team now, so I won’t have to.”

(On what he says to people who question his size)
Austin: “That’s something I can’t change. I just laugh at it now. Not really laugh, but I just smile and take it in and put it on my shoulders. I’ve been small my whole life. It’s not going to change. I’m 5’ 9”, but my heart plays like I’m six feet. I try to keep that mindset, keep being smart on the field, knowing when to get down, knowing when not to get down, get the first down. That’s really what it boils down to.”

(On if he’s had any contact with QB Sam Bradford since being drafted)
Austin: “As soon as I came into the building, he came in and met me and just said he was happy to meet with me. I said, ‘No, I’m happy to meet with you.’ He’s a taller quarterback. He’s a little bigger than (West Virginia quarterback) Geno (Smith). I’m just proud that I’m here and he took me in. I’m just ready to come now.”

(On if he knew he had to do to prove to the Rams that he was sincere about moving past his mistakes off the field)
Ogletree: “Basically, I just had to let them know that everything was behind me. I’m ready to seize the opportunity that they are willing to give me and like I said, I basically have to move forward.”

(On how difficult it was to wait until the end of the first round to get drafted and if he was concerned that he may not get selected in the first round)
Ogletree: “I was just looking for the opportunity to get my name called. Like I said, Coach (Fisher), they took a chance on me –that’s all I was waiting for. As far as where I got drafted, it didn’t really matter. I just wanted to be drafted.”

(On what happened after Coach Fisher called him to tell him that they were going to select him)
Ogletree: “My mom and dad, everybody was just screaming in the background. As soon as the phone rang they started going crazy. It was fun though. I can say it was worth the wait.”

(On if he had an idea all along that the Rams were interested in drafting him)
Ogletree: “They brought me in for a visit. We had a great talk and a great visit here. Like I said, I was just waiting for my name to be called, whether it was them or anybody else. I’m very thankful that the Rams did call me. I think this is a great place. They have a great team and they look like they’re trying to do something.”

(On what he has to show in order to make the Rams’ decision to take a chance on him worthwhile)
Ogletree: “I just have to come in and perform on the field and try to help this team the best way I can.”

(On what he sees when he gets the ball in space and what allows him to get into the end zone more often)
Austin: “I just go off my instincts. I try to take away a lot of angles. I’ve been doing this for a long time now, so I kind of feel a lot of things that are coming on to me. When I get the ball in my hands, the No. 1 thing is to just have fun, play the game that I always played (since) I was young, just throw and tackle. You against everybody out there, make somebody miss and that’s how I approach the game.”

(On when it became obvious to him that he wanted to play in the NFL)
Ogletree: “It’s been a dream since I was little. My mom can tell you that when I was very little, I told them that when I grew up I wanted to be in the NFL. To get the opportunity to do that, it’s a blessing and I’m just thankful.”

(On if he watched the draft growing up)
Ogletree: “I would watch the draft. I just always wanted to get the opportunity to hear my name called on TV and be a part of the NFL.”

Austin: “Pretty much the same thing. This is my dream, always been my dream. I’m glad around this time that the small wide receivers are in. A couple years ago, I probably wouldn’t be mentioned in this draft right now. I would probably be a free agent and trying to make somebody’s team just to be a gunner. I’m just thankful that the times have changed and now I’m considered one of the elite receivers right now.”

(On if he had to pinch himself when he realized that he was selected No. 8 overall)
Austin: “Yes, I definitely did. I was just sitting there with me and my family. They were taking a lot of D-linemen and O-linemen and I’m just sitting there like, ‘Man, the skill positions aren’t doing anything right now.’ When the coaches and the G.M. (General Manager Les Snead) called my name I was really happy. My family was happy for me. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.”

(On what his private workouts with the Rams were like and if he was nervous)
Austin: “When I came out here, we pretty much hit it on point. I think this was the place that I wanted to be with (Wide Receivers) Coach (Ray) Sherman and Coach (Fisher), and everybody. They took me in like I was family. Then, when they came down to Morgantown, they didn’t really show too much emotion. They kept everything quiet. I think I did a pretty good job coming in and out of my breaks and catching the ball for them. The quarterbacks were kind of smiling a lot, as far as the coaches, they weren’t giving it up at all.”

(On if he was nervous during his workouts with the Rams in Morgantown considering their quiet demeanor)
Austin: “I was a little nervous. At the end of the day I was like, ‘Am I doing good? They’re not saying anything.’ But I felt like I was OK.”

Les Snead: “Smokescreen.”

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Fucking love it. God damn Austin is a humble kid. He's gonna own the town in Stl you can bank on it. Loving Ogletree as well. He'll fit right in with this defense.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Is it too early to say that I'm already in LOVE with Tavon :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I get a positive vibe off Ogletree.

Anytime someone has a checkered background, you got to worry about selecting that person. I don't know if it's his smile or humility, but I think with the right mentors he's going to be just fine. I'm talking to you JL!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Les Snead: “Smokescreen.”

I think Les reads our forum...

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13323</a>

:lmao:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Tavon really came off well in that interview. I know he scored only a 7 on the Wonderlic, but he seemed bright, intelligent, energetic, happy, outgoing..a true leader type.

Ogletree came off as a little shy...nothing wrong with that he's a young kid and I would be nervous too.

A55VA6

Legend
brokeu91 said:
Tavon really came off well in that interview. I know he scored only a 7 on the Wonderlic, but he seemed bright, intelligent, energetic, happy, outgoing..a true leader type.

Ogletree came off as a little shy...nothing wrong with that he's a young kid and I would be nervous too.
It's weird to think such a tough player is that shy and soft spoken

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A55VA6 said:
brokeu91 said:

It's weird to think such a tough player is that shy and soft spoken

Then again, the whole experience has got to be overwhelming. I'm mean; he's gone from college kid to center stage on Sundays and a whole lot of money.

He was dressed sharp! Got to love that!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I mean... fucking look at this. LOOK AT IT! :tooth:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD5C-W1gbno[/youtube]

nittany ram

Rookie
Tavon Austin mentioned he's been on teams where he wasn't the fastest player.

:shock:

Were these teams on Krypton?

Need to track those guys down...