Jeff Fisher: It’s Unlikely Nfl Will Add Replay Review Of Penalties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...kely-nfl-will-add-replay-review-of-penalties/

Jeff Fisher: It’s unlikely NFL will add replay review of penalties
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2014

Last NFL season, several games turned on questionable penalties — particularly pass interference and personal fouls — that looked like they would have been overturned if the referee were allowed to review penalties on replays. That raises an obvious question: Why isn’t the referee allowed to review penalties on replays?

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a longtime member of the Competition Committee, says that question will be raised in league meetings this offseason, but fans and coaches who want to see replay used to review penalties may be disappointed in the answer.

“We discuss replay every year,” Fisher said. “I think we go back to the foundation of the replay system, it was designed to overturn an obvious error. We knew it was not going to be a perfect system, just from a time standpoint and a number of challenges standpoint. I think that will be discussed but I think it’s unlikely we move in the direction of penalties. That’s a hard thing to do. The only penalty that’s actually reviewable on the field is too many men on the field. I think once we look at penalties you’re asking for problems.”

Adding more plays that can be reviewed does have the possibility of more long delays during games. But it also increases the number of officiating mistakes that can be corrected. Perhaps a blown penalty call costing the Rams a game is what it will take for Fisher to be in favor of replay review on penalties.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Maybe a better situation for the NFL is give coaches an extra challenge per game and let them throw challenge flags on blown calls. 3 challenge flags to be used for anything from spotting the ball to a bad PI call. I think it would work dandy.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Like did Long actually throw a punch when he was ejected from the Carolina game??