Jeff Fisher is starting his own podcast

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
An I the only one that's mostly interested in him explaining his philosophy on offense, why he made those choices, or anything else to give some insight into why we suffered with that mess for so long? I know what we've all assumed, but I'd just love to hear it come out of his mouth.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Fisher has, more or less, explained himself in a.series of interviews he gave after his firing. He said Schottenheimer left because he didn't want to be involved with the relocation and that he couldn't lure any notable OCs to St Louis for the same reason.

Of course, in 20 years as a HC none of Fisher's OCs became a HC elsewhere, which kind of gives it away right there. Dull, unimaginative mind who just wasn't comfortable outside of his box. So it really wouldn't have mattered who Fisher brought in here. Especially with an underachieving oline, lack of playmakers and one of the league's weakest QB rooms.

Can't say he was an elite defensive mind, riding Buddy Ryan's coattails. Even his and Gregg Williams' dominating 2000 Titans defense was a modified 46.

Man was loved by his players and was able to work with owners and the media. He was just past his prime when he got here. Looked and sounded burned out at the end of his tenure at Tennessee and just wasn't equipped to build a contender with the Seahawks in the way and an owner who cared more about relocating to LA than winning in St Louis.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Jeff Fisher was an amazing Players coach. Excellent motivator. His biggest failure was trying to input too much on the offense without hiring a decent offensive coordinator. If he had a Mike Martz as offensive and stayed as the head coach he might have been more successful. But alas, he tried his ground and pound and win with defense far too long.

Just as with Chuck Knox's 2nd tenure, the game had already passed him (Fisher) bye.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Remember that Superbowl we played in recently?
Jeff Fisher had a whole hell of a lot to do with building that team.
Let's also not forget how Kroenke and Demoff had some motivations for the Rams to not be too competitive while still in Stl.
I remember the Haslett-Linehan-Spagnuolo era of Rams football very well and I remember what Fisher had to work with when he showed up.

The guy was never a really great HC, but he wasn't terrible either and us Rams fans dont have to pretend he was part of the problem. He was the beginning of the solution.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's also not forget how Kroenke and Demoff had some motivations for the Rams to not be too competitive while still in Stl.
I remember the Haslett-Linehan-Spagnuolo era of Rams football very well and I remember what Fisher had to work with when he showed up.

The guy was never a really great HC, but he wasn't terrible either and us Rams fans dont have to pretend he was part of the problem. He was the beginning of the solution.

August 2010 Kroenke takes full ownership
January 2012 Fisher hired
February 2012 Snead hired
December 2016 Fisher fired
January 2017 McVay hired
2017 playoffs and winning

I think we have to give Fisher some credit, a big chunk of his roster was in place in 2017... but does the chronology suggest Snead was the real pivot point?

He was was here through the makeover, including that final hump.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
August 2010 Kroenke takes full ownership
January 2012 Fisher hired
February 2012 Snead hired
December 2016 Fisher fired
January 2017 McVay hired
2017 playoffs and winning

I think we have to give Fisher some credit, a big chunk of his roster was in place in 2017... but does the chronology suggest Snead was the real pivot point?

He was was here through the makeover, including that final hump.
But isn't Snead, an unproven talent at roster building in 2012, also a guy we can credit Fisher for bringing on?
Wasn't the choice of GM and the roster input a part of the pitch to get Fisher to sign on?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Was going to post pretty much the same point after going through page 1, and yes indeed it’s true Snead was hand picked by Jeff Fisher

Bravo for the well written post (and follow up post)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But isn't Snead, an unproven talent at roster building in 2012, also a guy we can credit Fisher for bringing on?
Wasn't the choice of GM and the roster input a part of the pitch to get Fisher to sign on?

Good point.

tenor.gif

Kroenke hired Fisher...

tenor.gif

Shaw found Kroenke to join Rams...

tenor.gif

Kroenke’s mom, had Stan...

tenor.gif

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good point.

tenor.gif

Kroenke hired Fisher...

tenor.gif

Shaw found Kroenke to join Rams...

tenor.gif

Kroenke’s mom, had Stan...

tenor.gif

Hahaha hey hold up on the chicken and the egg loop. I get your point but I'm a history nerd and I try to look at things with a little more cause and affect context, the before is just as important as the after.

In the world of sports fandom, there is an often all or nothing, love or hate attitude towards the people involved. We love you until we hate you and fence sitters be damned.

I am glad Fisher was fired.
I am also glad he was hired.
The stats and the history of his tenure tenure support both of those opinions.