Jeff Fisher Is More Than Your 7–9 Jokes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jacktheripper85

Starter
The way he announced his firing to the team with self pity always made me feel negative about him. I never hated the guy, however, and only wish him much fishing and hunting and hanging out with a dog named Dirk.

Imagine his fishing and hunting stories?

Well, good day today. Caught 7 fish but 9 fell off the hook.

Shot 7 quail but missed on 9 of them.

Shoot, we’ll fix that!

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
The guy that flips off the cameras on a golf cart.

c5nLJAs.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That dude led the life, and he just keeps livin' it.
Good on him. He's got it good - and now - so do we.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford and Fisher took over 100 million from the Rams and provided nothing . No pity from me .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Weren't there some quality OC's he could have hired? Someone refresh my memory. Is there a Jeff Fisher coaching tree, in other words coaches that went on to greatness after working for him? If not then that pretty much says it all.

With the talent on O that Fisher stepped into as HC, and the talent drafted would you have wanted to be OC for the shitshow that was the Rams?

Shit at QB, shit at WR.

That right there dooms any O.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If I were his agent I'd kick his @$$ and get him over to TSU in Nashville. Dude is set up well and doesn't need a big payday. What he needs is the game and there's a college program that could use him right there in town.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
I will always remember Todd Gurley's now infamous remark: " This is a middle-school offense." Gurley is so highly regarded in the Rams' organization that that remark may have led to Fisher's firing more than just the W-L record itself. There is no mention of this in the article but the remark echoed throughout the Rams' franchise from top to bottom.

On another but related note: I was at the Rams/Falcons game when the boos started cascading throughout the crowd and the chants of "Fire Fisher" could be heard up and down Figueroa. It was always hard for me to boo a team or coach of the team that I have cheered for since the 1960s--win or lose. But it was the very first time i ever did.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Gurley is so highly regarded in the Rams' organization that that remark may have led to Fisher's firing more than just the W-L record itself. There is no mention of this in the article but the remark echoed throughout the Rams' franchise from top to bottom.

With the Rams putting forth one distressing performance after another, drawing smaller and smaller crowds, I think Fisher's fate was already sealed. He had already taken a season's barrage of criticism from the press, fans, anonymous members of his front office, and most of all Eric Dickerson who urged fans to stop attending games until Fisher was fired. A trying season finally got to Todd and he vented publicly, but Fisher was already finished. There was just no way he was coming back..

dang

Legend
Fisher was able to plug the holes in the sinking ship. He just wasn't able to set sail.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I find it really hard to agree with many of the follow up posts here from members.

Wallowing? Not seeing that.

Remember, the writer sought him out for the story...Fisher is not out there trying to re-write the past.

Wanting to hear Fisher itemize mistakes? Bring a tent and a sleeping bag because you’re gonna be there waiting. Fan talk.

I do believe that relocation is difficult and made some staff hires decline to be a part of a move. I know that I would consider that. Good luck Gruden.

It didn’t work out but he made them Competitive.

5 seasons prior to CJF, the team won 15 games...3 per year.

But you all know that.

So, carry on but I’m not reading any more of it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He needs to take a college job and get back to what he enjoys in being around the players and developing young men. I think his strengths align nicely with that level.

He needs to much time off , but other than that I agree. He is good at managing, but his ego gets in the way sometimes.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Fisher does seem like a really good guy. He also seems pretty smart. But in the world of professional sports you are judged by success or failure. His failures did him in. He's the kind of coach that should have no business being involved with the offense. But he stubbornly thought his philosophy would prevail. That is probably why he won't get another head coaching gig. I personally would not mind him being our defensive coordinator. I think he could do good things with this defense. Players love him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d take Fisher as a defensive coordinator all day. His best defense was when he was running it. I think he took over for Blake Williams mid season.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally would not mind him being our defensive coordinator.

Just me... but I don't want him anywhere near this team.

There's got to be lots of good DC candidates that don't bring his distractions.

Glad he's retired... he needs to stay that way.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just me... but I don't want him anywhere near this team.

There's got to be lots of good DC candidates that don't bring his distractions.

Glad he's retired... he needs to stay that way.

Todd Bowles is reunited with Arians in Tampa. That team has some talent and I expect that they make a difference coaching it. But my pipe dream was Wade retired and the Rams hire Bowles.

By the time the Rams are done this year most of the best DCs will be snatched up, so maybe my wish for Wade to retire won’t workout too well if he does.

Or maybe Greg Williams will still be out of work.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’d take Fisher as a defensive coordinator all day. His best defense was when he was running it. I think he took over for Blake Williams mid season.

I've always felt like Fish was promoted to HC too soon, that he missed out on some key formative years where he would have honed his schematic knowledge. For me at least if I'm a GM there's no way I interview a guy for the head job if he hasn't excelled above his peers at the coordinator level. Because no matter how well you interview, or how good a dude you are, you're still lacking that experience which is crucial in coaching your coaches.

Belichick had a long history of top defenses. Fish didn't. McVay had that history of productive offenses at the coordinator level, a short history but his impact was felt very much in the time he coordinated. IMO that's something the GMs are missing in these interviews. If you bring in ten guys who have a shortage of demonstrated excellence and experience at the coordinator level, there may be a guy in there who can overcome that. But I think it's a bad way to go personally.

Basically I think that guys like Fish who are really smart and good with people can get themselves hired quicker than they should. By killing the interview. But then when they get their jobs they require top coordinators on BOTH sides and that's something you cannot afford to have in today's NFL at the head coach spot. He has to be able to hold down one side of the ball due to poaching when you do start winning.