Jeff Fisher approval poll

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
Holy god, Barron got blow the bleep up in that gif by Celek on the inside run to Hyde...got moved out of the frame.

TexasRam

Legend
The part about Joyner having a good game is ignorant. Two penalties, horrible coverage on all but maybe two plays, out of position constantly and drowned out in run game.

But this part is spot on and why our defense struggled....

"The Rams have two small players in their front here (Lamarcus Joyner and Mark Barron) along with Alec Ogletree, who struggles with play strength despite his size. The appropriate way to mask with would be to clog the interior and hope that the smaller, weaker second level players can get out into space and make plays there. Instead, Williams spreads out the defensive line and forces the smaller players to hold their own over the middle of the field. That’s poor common sense.

Similar to the still shot above, the Rams used a spread out defensive line here and expected the small, weak second level players to handle power. The Rams were wrong to do so. Barron got killed by the pulling tight end. Ogeltree got ran out of the play by left tackle Joe Staley. Joyner was kept away from the play by a tight end. On this particular play, only Barron showed any sort of aggression, but he was not strong enough to handle the pulling blocker at all. This play was a disaster and opened up a running lane that not even Trent Richardson could have botched."

Bruce2980

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The part about Joyner having a good game is ignorant. Two penalties, horrible coverage on all but maybe two plays, out of position constantly and drowned out in run game.

"The Rams have two small players in their front here (Lamarcus Joyner and Mark Barron) along with Alec Ogletree, who struggles with play strength despite his size. The appropriate way to mask with would be to clog the interior and hope that the smaller, weaker second level players can get out into space and make plays there. Instead, Williams spreads out the defensive line and forces the smaller players to hold their own over the middle of the field. That’s poor common sense.

Similar to the still shot above, the Rams used a spread out defensive line here and expected the small, weak second level players to handle power. The Rams were wrong to do so. Barron got killed by the pulling tight end. Ogeltree got ran out of the play by left tackle Joe Staley. Joyner was kept away from the play by a tight end. On this particular play, only Barron showed any sort of aggression, but he was not strong enough to handle the pulling blocker at all. This play was a disaster and opened up a running lane that not even Trent Richardson could have botched."
I tried to copy and paste that exact quote but my copy and paster crashed. Thanks for doing that. GW may not be the genius I once thought he was. He simply didn't put his talented players in a position to win, and the under talented well....

Bruce2980

Starter
Holy god, Barron got blow the bleep up in that gif by Celek on the inside run to Hyde...got moved out of the frame.
I think Mark Barron is the BOMB BABY. I like the way he always attacks the ball. GW owes him an apology for that but if Mark would have known the TE was coming he still could have blown up the play for the 9ers. Not sure how he ever would have seen that coming though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hilarious at this point how Joyner has become the whipping boy for some fans. Joyner could have given zero catches against SF and we'd still have people on here criticizing him. Joyner played a solid game against SF. He wasn't the problem.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What a load of crap. I beg people to watch the play rather than buying into Klassen's craptastic analysis.

Cam Thomas, #92, is the problem. He's playing the Brockers role. Which means that his job is to hold his ground, force the 49ers to double him, and let the players behind him fill the gap. Go watch what happens on the play.

Cam Thomas is manhandled and driven completely out of the hole. All it takes is the OG engaging and a slight bump from Joe Staley. Why? Thomas comes off the ball high and loses leverage (like he always does). This allows Joe Staley to get to the second level and gives Hyde a clear lane to run through. It also allows the TE to get a successful block on Barron.

Watch the play again and imagine if Thomas holds his ground. That forces Staley to double him and not get to the second level. By holding his ground with the double team, that clogs up the hole which forces Hyde to either cut right into Barron before the TE can get the block or forces Hyde to take the cutback line behind the Center which Ogletree fills because Staley can't get to the second level.

That's the difference between having Brockers in there and a bad player like Cam Thomas. I don't think Cam Thomas should have made this team. Like Sensabaugh, he was a bad signing.

I tried to copy and paste that exact quote but my copy and paster crashed. Thanks for doing that. GW may not be the genius I once thought he was. He simply didn't put his talented players in a position to win, and the under talented well....

The Gregg Williams who moved "bust" Mark Barron to LB which allowed him to lead non-pass rushers in tackles for loss in 2015 doesn't put players in a position to win?

If there's anything that is said about Gregg Williams, it's that he's one of the best in the game at putting players in a position to excel.

Last edited:

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Wow. The 9ers DEF knew exactly where they were going with the ball...all game. And NO adjustments??!! That's on the coaching.

TexasRam

Legend
What a load of crap. I beg people to watch the play rather than buying into Klassen's craptastic analysis.

Cam Thomas, #92, is the problem. He's playing the Brockers role. Which means that his job is to hold his ground, force the 49ers to double him, and let the players behind him fill the gap. Go watch what happens on the play.

Cam Thomas is manhandled and driven completely out of the hole. All it takes is the OG engaging and a slight bump from Joe Staley. Why? Thomas comes off the ball high and loses leverage (like he always does). This allows Joe Staley to get to the second level and gives Hyde a clear lane to run through. It also allows the TE to get a successful block on Barron.

Watch the play again and imagine if Thomas holds his ground. That forces Staley to double him and not get to the second level. By holding his ground with the double team, that clogs up the hole which forces Hyde to either cut right into Barron before the TE can get the block or forces Hyde to take the cutback line behind the Center which Ogletree fills because Staley can't get to the second level.

That's the difference between having Brockers in there and a bad player like Cam Thomas. I don't think Cam Thomas should have made this team. Like Sensabaugh, he was a bad signing.

The Gregg Williams who moved "bust" Mark Barron to LB which allowed him to lead non-pass rushers in tackles for loss in 2015 doesn't put players in a position to win?

If there's anything that is said about Gregg Williams, it's that he's one of the best in the game at putting players in a position to excel.

I haven't reviewed the game film due to concern for my own sanity, so when I do I'll look at this situation and see why the middle was the parting of the Red Sea.

I know for sure that DT's get double teamed And normal good LBers are able
to Step up and blow up plays. But ours were drowned out and pushed backwards like little children. Playing Barron in a classic LB role is just stupidity. If you want to bring him up to the line and crash a gap then fine. But that didn't happen in the SF game. That's on Williams.

I'll disagree that Joyner had a "good game". When you are 5 yards away from a WR and using horrible coverage technique and getting flagged twice, you are not good by NFL standards.... Even if you make a few "good plays". He had a better game for him. But it's still not good. It's still a hole in the defense.

But give me a few days to watch it play by play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't reviewed the game film due to concern for my own sanity, so when I do I'll look at this situation and see why the middle was the parting of the Red Sea.

I know for sure that DT's get double teamed And normal good LBers are able
to Step up and blow up plays. But ours were drowned out and pushed backwards like little children. Playing Barron in a classic LB role is just stupidity. If you want to bring him up to the line and crash a gap then fine. But that didn't happen in the SF game. That's on Williams.

I'll disagree that Joyner had a "good game". When you are 5 yards away from a WR and using horrible coverage technique and getting flagged twice, you are not good by NFL standards.... Even if you make a few "good plays". He had a better game for him. But it's still not good. It's still a hole in the defense.

But give me a few days to watch it play by play.

Barron played in a classic LB role all of last season and was one of the NFL's best Will LBs.

Joyner gave up...what...4 catches for 40 yards? And had 2 holding penalties. Yea, that's a solid game. Especially for a guy playing the slot.

Bruce2980

Starter

I have no disagreement with your analysis on Mark Barron being placed in the LB spot. Brilliant move, and great fearless player. In fact that is the biggest reason I like GW. And until GW formations without a strong side LB work consistently on the field, he will get flak for his creativity. It's genius if it works and well, you know... if it doesn't. Moving Mark to WSLB was viewed as a bad move by some when it first happened, but any criticism was soon quelled by the spectacular play. I still have great hope in GW and his defense despite a bad showing in the first half of the game. Fisher and the OC on the other hand, not so warm and fuzzy.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I haven't reviewed the game(yet) but i think it might be a large dose of analysis paralysis to single out any one player or unit when defining the complete failure of this game. They weren't ready to compete as a team IMO.

I was expecting an actual ROD poll when reading the thread title. Step it up people. :redcard:

TexasRam

Legend
Barron played in a classic LB role all of last season and was one of the NFL's best Will LBs.

Joyner gave up...what...4 catches for 40 yards? And had 2 holding penalties. Yea, that's a solid game. Especially for a guy playing the slot.

One of the NFL's best will LB's yes.

Classic LB role.... Not sure about that.

I saw them moving him around a lot in different spots. Crashing different gaps and occupying passing zones on different sides of the field. A lot like a strong safety thats moved around a lot.

There was a point in the season where they started calling him a WLB and there was always a lot of talk about why he was called that since he wasn't a classic WLB that reads the run and reacts.

He spent much of his time in the backfield crashing the A gaps. Against the Niners he was sitting back getting easily washed out by guys almost 100 pounds more because of Williams trying to get too cute.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Co-offensive coordinators Rob Boras and Mike Groh called this sort of stuff all night. If the fullback was on the field, the Rams were running the ball through him. If the Rams motioned a player, they were running through him. The Rams did run one sort of counter play that bent to the opposite direction of the fullback’s alignment, but he was still the lead blocker. By and large, the running game was largely predictable.

How on earth did they not adjust to this when it became obvious what the 9ers were doing? This "offensive" plan is the definition of unprepared. They'd better go back to the drawing board and quick.

fearsomefour

Legend

So Brockers plays every down?
Thomas was solid in the preseason taking on double teams and hdkng his ground, albeit not always against starting guys. The signing made sense. Maybe there was a better FA out there in that role?
Maybe Goff can play DT since he is the solution to all of our problems.
What really irritates me is teams like SF and Denver can have big turnover in the O line....four new starters in the case of Denver....and their units look much improved ours looks a hot mess.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Brockers plays every down?
Thomas was solid in the preseason taking on double teams and hdkng his ground, albeit not always against starting guys. The signing made sense. Maybe there was a better FA out there in that role?
Maybe Goff can play DT since he is the solution to all of our problems.
What really irritates me is teams like SF and Denver can have big turnover in the O line....four new starters in the case of Denver....and their units look much improved ours looks a hot mess.

Thomas was bad in the preseason. Consistently plays high and loses the leverage battle. Which is why he's been an ineffective player throughout his career despite his size. Brockers can't play every down. Which is why I'm disappointed we don't have a better gap clogger than Thomas.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

These are all valid concerns, but I expect that Williams will adjust. Unlike his counterparts on the offensive side of the ball, he adjusts, and the fact that the 49ers were held to negative net yards in the 3rd quarter can attest to that. Given the talent level there, I think they'll turn it around on D. The one thing Williams can't do is keep their morale from flagging from an anemic offense, so Boras better get his shinola together pretty quick.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, his rule should be when the tackle down blocks is to fill the hole and get his eyes inside looking for a possible trap block. If he would have done that he would have made the tackle or at least force Hyde to bounce it out. He's looking at Hyde the whole time and never saw Celek coming.

fearsomefour

Legend
Thomas was bad in the preseason. Consistently plays high and loses the leverage battle. Which is why he's been an ineffective player throughout his career despite his size. Brockers can't play every down. Which is why I'm disappointed we don't have a better gap clogger than Thomas.
We saw different things from Thomas in the preseason then....that can happen. My affirmative opinion of Thomas was based as much on the teaM having no one else in that roll.
I have been yelling about the team drafting a big, Lane clogging DT/NT for a couple of years now. But, we get the 280 lb quick guys like Fox brought in or the kid on IR.
Like we talked about before you usually attack speed with power.
The Rams are going to have to figure a way to stop it or they will be getting continuing doses of it.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher

The run-blocking on that play couldn't have gotten much better. Plus, Hyde waited on his blockers and the play to develop. Was a very well executed play by SF.