Jaws Wouldn't Draft Manziel In The First 3 Rounds.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

[www.rotoworld.com]

ESPN's Ron Jaworski wouldn't draft Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "in the first three rounds."
"I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you," Jaws said of the potential No. 1 overall pick. "I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." Jaws is known for his strong — and often accurate — opinions on quarterbacks, but it's surprising he'd go to the extreme of calling Manziel a day-three pick. Manziel has the potential to be one of the most dissected and over-analyzed prospects in draft history.
Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 Feb 25 - 11:15 PM

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Jaws is also known for eating people in a gruesome way, sometimes unprovoked.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Every year a players are over analyzed. This year I don't think there is a QB of picking in the top ten, but they may all be going in the top 5.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Every year a players are over analyzed. This year I don't think there is a QB of picking in the top ten, but they may all be going in the top 5.
Don't disagree.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Right? Its crazy but likely true. I'm so glad we aren't starving for a QB and picking at #2 this year.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
WOW! Says a lot, but Jaws has been very wrong before.
That can be said of everybody- nobody is right all of the time.

Manziel is going to grab a lot of attention over the next ten weeks and, hopefully, that'll strengthen our bargaining position when it comes to trading down from number two. If Houston take either of the other two top QB prospects (or Clowney), then some team will hopefully offer us a lot for Manziel.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
From my experience, Jaws watches one game, or a part of a game and he evaluates a QB, regardless of anything else, OL, WR, RB's being able to pick up a blitz, coaching...his evals are often incomplete IMO. He can get lucky though, if he evals the QB in the right sitch, game, etc.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...theres-a-franchise-quarterback-in-this-draft/

Phil Simms: I’m not sure there’s a franchise quarterback in this draft
Posted by Josh Alper on February 26, 2014

22c5767055f32826562600cb0c01066f-e1393447104835.jpeg
Getty Images

Ron Jaworski grabbed some headlines this week with his unimpressed review of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel’s fitness for duty in the NFL.

Now another former NFC East quarterback turned television personality is also weighing in on Manziel and the other quarterbacks believed to be possibilities to be drafted near the top of the first round. Phil Simms doesn’t sound like he’s any higher on Manziel than Jaworski, but went a bit further by putting down the entire group of quarterbacks.

During an appearance on Mad Dog Sports Radio, Simms said he’s “not sold” that there are any franchise quarterbacks in this year’s draft. Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville and Blake Bortles of Central Florida are expected to join Manziel as options for teams looking for just such a quarterback.

Simms dinged Bridgewater as having middle of the pack arm strength and said he never saw Bortles as a top five pick when watching him on film. The whole group got taken down a peg when Simms said he thought Jets quarterback Geno Smith, a second-round pick last year who struggled as team’s starter, would be the best quarterback in this year’s class.

There will be plenty of other opinions proffered in the coming months about all the quarterbacks in this year’s draft and we’ll be sharing plenty of them with you on these pages. And none of them will matter at all in May if teams fall in love with the players that Simms and Jaworski find lacking.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Any time I hear Phil Simms speak I think of this.....

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I kind of think that Minnesota may end up being the most interested team if Manziel is there at 2.
I think he may remind a lot of fans of Tarkenton, so it could be a great PR move.

I don't know how excited I am about prospect of the Rams dropping to 8 though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I kind of think that Minnesota may end up being the most interested team if Manziel is there at 2.
I think he may remind a lot of fans of Tarkenton, so it could be a great PR move.

I don't know how excited I am about prospect of the Rams dropping to 8 though.

I've been saying for a while now; Minnesota might be our best trade option. I'm with you... 8 feels like a far drop.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The draft (for whatever reason) just isn't as sexy unless we're overhyping a number of players. Usually QB's. Manziel is obviously the most exciting overall QB prospect. But besides his Houdini like qualities in and out of the pocket, does he really have the arm or accuracy to be a franchise QB?
None of us know yet. But if RGIII, Luck and the like were in this draft he wouldn't even be in the top 10 discussion.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-comes-away-impressed-after-manziel-sit-down/

Jon Gruden comes away impressed after Manziel sit-down
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 27, 2014

ESPN loves to embrace debate, and now they’ve got two of their most prominent football analysts engaged in a public debate over the most-discussed prospect in this year’s NFL draft.

A day after Ron Jaworski made news by saying he wouldn’t draft Johnny Manziel in the first three rounds, ESPN announced that it is bringing back its much-discussed Jon Gruden QB Camp feature. Unsurprisingly, the first quarterback to participate is Manziel, the former Texas A&M Heisman Trophy winner. And Gruden liked what he saw when the two of them sat down.

“In the right system, with the right support, I really think he can be a success,” Gruden said.

Portions of Gruden’s conversation with Manziel will air on SportsCenter today at 6 p.m. Eastern. That will lead to a new round of debate about how Manziel comes across, whether he carries himself like a professional quarterback, and so on. And ESPN will eat the attention up.

Of course, you can point out that by writing about Gruden’s QB Camp, I’m helping to give ESPN exactly the kind of attention it wants for its contrived quarterback debates. But it should also be pointed out that Gruden’s QB Camp is a well-done feature that really does provide solid insight into the quarterbacks who will be available in the upcoming draft. And Gruden’s conversation with Manziel will surely be worth watching.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree with Jaws on this one.
I really have a hard time evaluating him, not that I've spent a lot of time doing it, but I watched a few of he games this year, and I seemed to remember that it appeared that he got lucky a lot. And thank goodness for Mike Evans, he saved his ass a lot.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I really have a hard time evaluating him, not that I've spent a lot of time doing it, but I watched a few of he games this year, and I seemed to remember that it appeared that he got lucky a lot. And thank goodness for Mike Evans, he saved his ass a lot.
I see disaster written all over this kid, both on and off the field.