Jauron in picture: How his defenses ranked/Sando

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/90620/jauron-in-picture-how-his-defenses-ranked" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ses-ranked</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NEW ORLEANS -- The St. Louis Rams are reportedly considering former Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills head coach Dick Jauron as a candidate for defensive coordinator.

I've put together a chart showing where defenses associated with Jauron have ranked since 2004, when Jauron was the Detroit Lions' defensive coordinator. He later became head coach in Buffalo from 2006 through 2009 before spending the past two seasons as defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns.

Jauron was a senior defensive assistant for Philadelphia in 2010. He was the Chicago Bears' head coach from 1999 through 2003. I didn't have room for rankings from those teams and could not easily access them for seasons predating 2001.

The Cleveland Browns fired Jauron after the 2012 season. The team was under new ownership and seeking new direction. The Browns' defensive ranking weren't bad.

The Rams are not looking for a new defensive scheme or for a defensive overhaul. They are looking for a coordinator to fit into their existing framework.

rFmJAX8.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That table looks a lot more favorable than the one they put up with Ryan vs 2012 Rams.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
That table looks a lot more favorable than the one they put up with Ryan vs 2012 Rams.

I have not been a fan of his defense not enough sacks for my liking over the years and I don't think he stands out as an aggressive DC...More passisve aggressive. However, it's Fisher's scheme so maybe being a Yale Graduate Jauron will be able to run that defense better than his own.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
X said:

I have not been a fan of his defense not enough sacks for my liking over the years and I don't think he stands out as an aggressive DC...More passisve aggressive. However, it's Fisher's scheme so maybe being a Yale Graduate Jauron will be able to run that defense better than his own.
Yeah, I think there needs to be a happy medium between Ryan and Jauron. Both would benefit hugely from taking over this defense. Lots of good pieces to work with, and everything you need to make it work. Good corners, good D-line. Ryan was a fool for backing out of this if his reasoning was wanting more control over the assistance or a change in the philosophy. Similarly, Jauron could take his already deep knowledge and make it work to his benefit as well. But, like you said, Jauron is a lot more even tempered, and I don't know if that's what Fisher wants.

This whole thing with Jaruon, incidentally, is all rumor anyway. I don't even think they've spoken yet.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
This whole thing with Jaruon, incidentally, is all rumor anyway. I don't even think they've spoken yet.

Rumor yes, but Jim Thomas reported "Rams were reaching out to him" and although Jim never is first, he's usually dead on and does get it right. Not posting that it will come fruition, but I could see Jauron being added because he is very bright a former player (which does help IMO) and the Rams have plenty of fire & brimstone with the troika of Fisher, Cecil & DL Coach Mike Waufle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
X said:

Rumor yes, but Jim Thomas reported "Rams were reaching out to him" and although Jim never is first, he's usually dead on and does get it right. Not posting that it will come fruition, but I could see Jauron being added because he is very bright a former player (which does help IMO) and the Rams have plenty of fire & brimstone with the troika of Fisher, Cecil & DL Coach Mike Waufle.
Nice usage of the word troika.

Definitely a first on this message board, comrade. :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I will say this about Jauron; he's always produced on defense. You got to respect that.

At the end of the day I'm not sweating much. Fisher knows defense. Even if he takes a developmental guy we are in good hands.