Jason Smith (Thanks Devaney!!!)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Got cut by the Saints.

It's nearly impossible at this point to logically defend the job Devaney and Spagnuolo did in STL. They moved this franchise backwards.......as in back into the cave so to speak.

Yeahyeahyeah I know it was injuries and they didn't have enough time. :jerkoff:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm not going to rag on Jason Smith, because I'm tired of that.

But just imagine if we got a player who was worth a top 5 pick. How much better would we be today?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
LesBaker said:
Got cut by the Saints.

It's nearly impossible at this point to logically defend the job Devaney and Spagnuolo did in STL. They moved this franchise backwards.......as in back into the cave so to speak.

Yeah. He was just a bad pick. There were many draft gurus who had him rated high, others had him rated as a 3rd rounder, but it's up to a top tier GM to know that Smith's shortcomings could be a major problem and move out of the pick or go in another direction. Devaney wasn't good enough.

Oh, well. It's good to know that Fisher recognized that Smith was garbage as soon as he walked in the door. There were some (who shall remain nameless) who still though Smith was salvageable last year.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The crazy thing, if we didn't snag him, he would have been snatched up immediately. From what I heard, he was a top 5 pick in many or all war rooms. I guess it's rare that an entire football community has been so wrong about such a high draft pick. He was supposed to be the anchor for the next 12 years for any team and a "can't miss"pick. We sure have had our lions share of some bad luck. Ryan Leaf anyone? That one was a bust for the ages and thankfully not our problem.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
max said:
LesBaker said:
Got cut by the Saints.

Yeah. He was just a bad pick. There were many draft gurus who had him rated high, others had him rated as a 3rd rounder, but it's up to a top tier GM to know that Smith's shortcomings could be a major problem and move out of the pick or go in another direction. Devaney wasn't good enough.

Oh, well. It's good to know that Fisher recognized that Smith was garbage as soon as he walked in the door. There were some (who shall remain nameless) who still though Smith was salvageable last year.

In your past posting life did you feel like you were :beating:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, Smith was a HUGE bust. I'd say bigger than Lawrence Phillips.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
LesBaker said:
Got cut by the Saints.

Listen Man,,, I completely agree with you on this.

I hate that BD is on that fucking show now. I will never watch it because of him. Why can't those guys just disappear forever. I want to forget they ever had their hands on our Rams.

Forgetting ,,, forgetting ,,, trying to fucking forget.......

Ironically,,, I'm a first rounder now :lmao:

Memphis Ram

Legend
2 St. Louis Rams Jason Smith T Baylor
3 Kansas City Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE Louisiana State
4 Seattle Seahawks Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
5 New York Jets Mark Sanchez QB USC
6 Cincinnati Bengals Andre Smith T Alabama
7 Oakland Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland
8 Jacksonville Jaguars Eugene Monroe T Virginia
9 Green Bay Packers B.J. Raji NT Boston College
10 San Francisco 49ers Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
11 Buffalo Bills Aaron Maybin DE Penn State
12 Denver Broncos Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia

Looks like it was hard to get any hits in that draft class.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Just like most true and hold Rams fans I wanted to see Jason Smith succeed. At the time we were coming off a disastrous 2-14 season which started off w/ 4 pathetic losses and ended with 3 close losses if you will.

Go figure we beat the cowgirls and redskins and lions end up 0-16 to get their prized qb in Stafford. We had a glaring need at left tackle and had no option to trade down or esp up lol. There were so many factors involved.

Devaney and staff took the risk w/ "J Smooth" over the concerns with Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe respectively. Would we have been better off then or today with one of them...no clue. There was also a nice BUST cast who followed in line; Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry and Sanchez (iffy).

Like X has pointed out numerous times on this topic its all hindsight. Win some lose some. As long as we keep winning obv our changes of taking a huge potential bust reduce drastically.

Who woulda thought finishing 2-14 again in 2011 turned shit into gold in the 2012 draft.
Thanks Matt Barkley for not declaring.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Thing is if the Rams passed on him he still would have been a top ten pick if not top five. He would have still busted no matter.
He had the measurables to be a top 5 pick so that's where he went. To bad no one checked if he actually had the instincts to be a top 5 pick. That high in the draft it's all about what he could do not what he can do.
Good luck to him, he made enough$$$$$$ to last a couple lifetimes so enjoy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
CGI_Ram said:

Phillips is currently serving time for running over three kids on purpose, and the only noteworthy thing he did in the NFL was end Steve Young's career. Sorry, I'd have to say that he was a much bigger bust than Smith. At least Smith isn't a total thug off the field as well as a shitty player on the field.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BatteringRambo said:
Just like most true and hold Rams fans I wanted to see Jason Smith succeed. At the time we were coming off a disastrous 2-14 season which started off w/ 4 pathetic losses and ended with 3 close losses if you will.

Go figure we beat the cowgirls and redskins and lions end up 0-16 to get their prized qb in Stafford. We had a glaring need at left tackle and had no option to trade down or esp up lol. There were so many factors involved.

Devaney and staff took the risk w/ "J Smooth" over the concerns with Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe respectively. Would we have been better off then or today with one of them...no clue. There was also a nice BUST cast who followed in line; Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry and Sanchez (iffy).

Like X has pointed out numerous times on this topic its all hindsight. Win some lose some. As long as we keep winning obv our changes of taking a huge potential bust reduce drastically.

Who woulda thought finishing 2-14 again in 2011 turned shyte into gold in the 2012 draft.
Thanks Matt Barkley for not declaring.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And those crazy Vikings going into Washington and beating the skins for that 3rd win in a turd of a season for them. You have to hand it to them, they didn't roll over when they could have and should have. That was huge in the butterfly effect aspect of the recent turn around for the Rams.

jjab360

Legend
LesBaker said:
Got cut by the Saints.

The drafts from 2008-2011 were very bad drafts. But at least they gave us core players Chris Long, Laurinaitis, Bradford, and Quinn.

The drafts from 2000-2007 were some of the worst of ALL TIME and outside of the recently departed SJ, we have absolutely NOTHING to show for those many, many years. You say Devaney moved this franchise back into the stone age, I say he moved us forward after Zygmunt pushed this franchise back into the mesozoic era.

I mean, seriously, Tye Hill, Brian Leonard, Joe Flopfenstein, Alex Barron, Jimmy Kennedy, etc.. :bleck:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
jjab360 said:
LesBaker said:
Got cut by the Saints.

The drafts from 2008-2011 were very bad drafts. But at least they gave us core players Chris Long, Laurinaitis, Bradford, and Quinn.

The drafts from 2000-2007 were some of the worst of ALL TIME and outside of the recently departed SJ, we have absolutely NOTHING to show for those many, many years. You say Devaney moved this franchise back into the stone age, I say he moved us forward after Zygmunt pushed this franchise back into the mesozoic era.

I mean, seriously, Tye Hill, Brian Leonard, Joe Flopfenstein, Alex Barron, Jimmy Kennedy, etc.. :bleck:

I believe that honor belongs to SHAW. He is the great mind that brought most of the Shyt upon this team.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Memento said:
CGI_Ram said:

Phillips is currently serving time for running over three kids on purpose, and the only noteworthy thing he did in the NFL was end Steve Young's career. Sorry, I'd have to say that he was a much bigger bust than Smith. At least Smith isn't a total thug off the field as well as a shitty player on the field.
I kinda thought Smith was a fairly high character guy ,kinda "pillar like" Phillips was a waste of skin,Smith can't help people fell in love with his potential.

I personally think Alex Barron was a bigger bust, if Smith hadn't had the concussions I think he'd have been better .

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I promised that I wouldn't talk about Smith again :?!:

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I think smith would have panned out if he didn't have his concussions. He was pretty good his rookie year, being a road grader. He was really physical which I like in a RT. His concussions made him think twice about his play style, thus he wasn't the Jason Smith we all saw his rookie year.

I could tell that the concussions were in the back if his head (no pun intended) when he played. His play suffered because of it. Wasn't giving 100%.

Just my opinion.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
A55VA6 said:
Jets re-signing Smith. He keeps getting chances..
Because he has all the physical traits of a premier tackle , but his brain isn't shock proof