Jason Smith restructures contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RamsSince1969 said:
Where does this "bust" rank in our history? You can argue not a bust, but with the second pick, we got reamed compared to our somewhat similar pick of Orlando Pace and what we got out of him.

I don't count draft picks that got injured/IRd a busts. Busts to me just can't play in the NFL ala Vernon Gholston, Joey Harrington or have massive character problems that lead to them out of the league ala Ryan Leaf, Charles Rodgers.

Smith I think still needs a fair, full season, and healthy chance to show what he can do.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:
RamsSince1969 said:
Where does this "bust" rank in our history? You can argue not a bust, but with the second pick, we got reamed compared to our somewhat similar pick of Orlando Pace and what we got out of him.

I don't count draft picks that got injured/IRd a busts. Busts to me just can't play in the NFL ala Vernon Gholston, Joey Harrington or have massive character problems that lead to them out of the league ala Ryan Leaf, Charles Rodgers.

Smith I think still needs a fair, full season, and healthy chance to show what he can do.

Same with me. I'll use the examples of Kenechi Udeze (Vikings, 2004) and David Pollack (Bengals, 2005). Neither of them are in the league, but talent and character weren't the issues for them. Pollack broke his neck when he tried to hit Reuben Droughns, while Udeze contracted a rare form of leukemia. Both of them tried to make comebacks, but they couldn't pull it off.

I just don't think it's fair to consider a player a bust if he has severe injuries that prevent him from being all he can be.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Sounds like there's some actual coaching going on with the line! Thank Christ. Week 1 is going to be a nice test for those boys.

Little more respect now for Smith for restructuring as well.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
X said:
RamsSince1969 said:
We can compare him to the entire 2006 and 2007 draft if you want to see where he 'ranks.'

1 Tye Hill
2 Joe Klopfenstein
3 Claude Wroten
3 Jon Alston
3 Dominique Byrd
4 Victor Adeyanju
5 Marques Hagans
7 Tim McGarigle
7 Mark Setterstrom
7 Tony Palmer

1 Adam Carriker
2 Brian Leonard
3 Jonathan Wade
5 Dustin Fry
5 Clifton Ryan
6 Ken Shackleford
7 Keith Jackson
7 Derek Stanley

His one and only TD was bad ass though. That has to count for something.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
RamsSince1969 said:
We can compare him to the entire 2006 and 2007 draft if you want to see where he 'ranks.'

1 Tye Hill
2 Joe Klopfenstein
3 Claude Wroten
3 Jon Alston
3 Dominique Byrd
4 Victor Adeyanju
5 Marques Hagans
7 Tim McGarigle
7 Mark Setterstrom
7 Tony Palmer

1 Adam Carriker
2 Brian Leonard
3 Jonathan Wade
5 Dustin Fry
5 Clifton Ryan
6 Ken Shackleford
7 Keith Jackson
7 Derek Stanley

Those two picks were the only ones that did anything of use for us. Cliff Ryan was a solid run-stopping nose tackle who was difficult to move off of the pile - quite the bargain in the fifth round. Setterstrom was injury-prone, but he was a very good guard when he played. He was actually one of the better seventh round picks in that draft.

Other than those two, those drafts were some of the worst I've ever seen.

Speeps

Starter
It's to early to say Jason Smith is a bust. The guy has not been healthy. I think he will bounce back and have a tremendous season.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
QuantumOfSalas said:
His one and only TD was bad ass though. That has to count for something.

True that. I was on the Stanley bandwagon after that. Was a complete no show from then on

Anonymous

X said:
RamsSince1969 said:

1 Tye Hill
2 Joe Klopfenstein
3 Claude Wroten
3 Jon Alston
3 Dominique Byrd
4 Victor Adeyanju
5 Marques Hagans
7 Tim McGarigle
7 Mark Setterstrom
7 Tony Palmer

1 Adam Carriker
2 Brian Leonard
3 Jonathan Wade
5 Dustin Fry
5 Clifton Ryan
6 Ken Shackleford
7 Keith Jackson
7 Derek Stanley

Yeah, agreed. A bust is much worse than Smith.

2009 was a notoriously weak draft and 97 was a strong draft. They could trade up in 97; in 2009, before the CBA changed rookie deals, they really couldn't trade down (I heard they were offered a 3rd round pick to move down).

There was no Pace in 2009. After Stafford there was no Chris Long, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, etc.

And Monroe had medical issues just like Dorsey did so was out of the question.

Who else were they going to pick?

Crabtree?

Curry?

Tyson Jackson?

Andre Smith?

Heyward-Bey?

Maybin?

Moreno?

People need to remember the reaction to the Smith pick at the time. He was seen as a very solid prospect and a good pick at #2 spot. Virtually no one dissented from that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
People need to remember the reaction to the Smith pick at the time. He was seen as a very solid prospect and a good pick at #2 spot. Virtually no one dissented from that.
That's true. He was "the guy" at that spot, and almost everyone said as much. Could they have traded down? I dunno. I don't remember any rumblings about that, and I certainly don't remember any team itching to get into the top two like this year. So it is what it is. That doesn't stop "people", however, from telling us ad nauseum that they KNEW it was going to play out like this. Because, ya know, they had all the knowledge that scouts and talent evaluators didn't have at the time.

Meh. :neh:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
zn said:
That's true. He was "the guy" at that spot, and almost everyone said as much. Could they have traded down? I dunno. I don't remember any rumblings about that, and I certainly don't remember any team itching to get into the top two like this year. So it is what it is. That doesn't stop "people", however, from telling us ad nauseum that they KNEW it was going to play out like this. Because, ya know, they had all the knowledge that scouts and talent evaluators didn't have at the time.

Meh. :neh:

Exactly. The same people that bash the pick arent gonna come out and say "well, I wanted Curry at the time, and I guess I missed on him." They wont admit that. :sly:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
zn said:
X said:
RamsSince1969 said:

1 Tye Hill
2 Joe Klopfenstein
3 Claude Wroten
3 Jon Alston
3 Dominique Byrd
4 Victor Adeyanju
5 Marques Hagans
7 Tim McGarigle
7 Mark Setterstrom
7 Tony Palmer

1 Adam Carriker
2 Brian Leonard
3 Jonathan Wade
5 Dustin Fry
5 Clifton Ryan
6 Ken Shackleford
7 Keith Jackson
7 Derek Stanley

Yeah, agreed. A bust is much worse than Smith.

2009 was a notoriously weak draft and 97 was a strong draft. They could trade up in 97; in 2009, before the CBA changed rookie deals, they really couldn't trade down (I heard they were offered a 3rd round pick to move down).

There was no Pace in 2009. After Stafford there was no Chris Long, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, etc.

And Monroe had medical issues just like Dorsey did so was out of the question.

Who else were they going to pick?

Crabtree?

Curry?

Tyson Jackson?

Andre Smith?

Heyward-Bey?

Maybin?

Moreno?

Except for those that wanted us to pick Sanchez. :loco:

Speeps

Starter
I still think it's to early to give up on Smith. I believe he has talent, and has a nice mean streak to him. With proper coaching, and good health, I believe he will flourish. Will he be a pro bowler? IDK, but he can be an above average right tackle. This is the year for him.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Glad to see him restructured. Maybe he can turn his career around this year and live up to his potential.
He basically is playing for his guaranteed money left in his original contract. No way he gets that roster bonus in 13, but if he plays well this year there's no reason he won't be offered a fair contract to stay with the Rams.

As far as being a bust. He didn't try to get concussed nor did he pick himself 2nd overall. For a 2nd overall more by his third season would have been expected. He can redeem his career this year if he plays great.

For the record I would have picked Crabtree in a instant. Never bought in to Curry and most of the other top players were scheme guys that didn't fit the what the Rams were doing at the time. Crabtree isn't ever going to be great, he is a Big 12 WR. But how much better would he have done with Bradford instead of Smith throwing him the ball.