Jason Smith restructures contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Jason Smith agreed to restructure his contract this week, a league source confirmed on Saturday.

Signed to a five-year, $54 million contract as the No. 2 overall pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, Smith had been scheduled to earn $10 million in base salary in 2012 and $12 million in base salary 2013, with 2014 being a voidable year.

Under the restructure, Smith's base salary in 2012 has been reduced to a fully guaranteed $4 million and he will also receive a $500,000 roster bonus, a pay cut of $5.5 million for this season. The 2014 season season has been deleted, so the $3.2675 million in option bonus proration has been accelerated onto the Rams' 2012 cap.

Despite that acceleration, Smith's 2012 cap number will go from $13.2675 million to $11.035 million, a reduction of $2.2325 million.

The 2013 season of Smith's contract, which is now voidable, has also been restructured. The $12 million base salary has been replaced with a $750,000 base salary and a $11.25 million roster bonus, a reflection of how critical a season 2012 is to Smith's long-term future with the Rams.

Drafted to man the left tackle position, Smith's rookie season was cut short by a concussion. While Smith started 15 games in 2010, he lost the left tackle spot to that year's second round pick, Rodger Saffold. Smith started the first five games in 2011 before landing on injured reserve with another major concussion.

Smith is expected to remain at right tackle and Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau is looking to improve his technique.

"I'm trying to show him some patience," Boudreau said according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "And trying to get him to use his hands more than leaning into blocks. Just trying to slow him down. Trying to make the game slower by using good technique as opposed to going out and killing every guy you play.

"Because when he goes out there, if he hits (the defender), he hits him. But if he misses, it's a dead shot on the quarterback. So we're trying to get him to think a little bit more about his balance and his base, and where he is at the collision point. And not always try to go out and try to knock a guy out. Just block a guy. Don't knock him out."

bluecoconuts

Legend
Sounds good, not a major drop in the cap hit, but it's better than nothing. Sounds promising about the coaching too, so maybe he can have a big year and actually earn it. Liking what I'm hearing so far.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wow. Demoff the hit man.

Smith is going to have to have a PHENOMENAL year this year in order for the Rams to justify paying him $11M next year. Frankly, even if he does have that kind of year, I think this is going to end up being his last year as a Ram. So he's not only proving himself to the Rams, I'm sure he's aware that he has to prove himself to other teams as well. I hope he has a great year and ends up staying, but I just dunno...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Good. I want to see Smith succeed as a Ram. This should give him the opportunity to do so. I get the feeling he really has turned over a new leaf and is excite about a "fresh start".

Question for anyone more familiar with cap rules than I am. Does Smith's cap hit drop at all next year since he basically made due all in the form of a bonus? Also it makes the cap hit smaller should he not step it up and we cut him, correct?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Good news, any bit helps. Sure looks like he's gonna get a shot to start. We'll find out this weekend if/when they take an OT.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I think this opportunity will work out well for Jason and the Rams.
With a different mind set and a good O line coach, I think he will become the OT we envisioned when he was drafted.

GO RAMS!!!!

steferfootball

Starter
11.25 million dollar Roster bonus next year....

yeah, he is a gonner...unless he becomes a complete beast at LT.

I'm glad we saved 2 mil this year, and cleaned up his contract for when we finally release him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

sounds like smith was run blocking on passing plays. and dlinemen were using his aggression against him.

Speeps

Starter
This should motivate him to play better. I agree with the majority. If Smith doesn't have a pro-bowl like year, he will not be back.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, I guess we know what one of those 1st round picks in 2013 will be used.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
:cool:
X said:
Wow. Demoff the hit man.

Smith is going to have to have a PHENOMENAL year this year in order for the Rams to justify paying him $11M next year. Frankly, even if he does have that kind of year, I think this is going to end up being his last year as a Ram. So he's not only proving himself to the Rams, I'm sure he's aware that he has to prove himself to other teams as well. I hope he has a great year and ends up staying, but I just dunno...

>>The 2013 season of Smith's contract, which is now voidable, has also been restructured. The $12 million base salary has been replaced with a $750,000 base salary and a $11.25 million roster bonus, a reflection of how critical a season 2012 is to Smith's long-term future with the Rams.<<

Now that's what I call motivation. :cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah. He's got a nice little payday waiting on him if he performs at a super high level this year. I hope he does too. I really do. It'd be nice to have a beast offensive line for once, and he absolutely has the tools to be able to be a part of that. Too many people want to vilify him because of his salary, but that wasn't his fault. That was just a broken system, and he was only playing along. There are also a great deal of people who call him "stupid" or "soft", and that irritates me too. Dude's a Ram. If he stays or goes is something outside of our control, so all we can do is wish him success while he's here. He's done nothing to warrant what some people are saying about him, and I'm glad there aren't many (if any) here, who do that.

Getcher game on, JSmooth. And go get that money.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Yeah. He's got a nice little payday waiting on him if he performs at a super high level this year. I hope he does too. I really do. It'd be nice to have a beast offensive line for once, and he absolutely has the tools to be able to be a part of that. Too many people want to vilify him because of his salary, but that wasn't his fault. That was just a broken system, and he was only playing along. There are also a great deal of people who call him "stupid" or "soft", and that irritates me too. Dude's a Ram. If he stays or goes is something outside of our control, so all we can do is wish him success while he's here. He's done nothing to warrant what some people are saying about him, and I'm glad there aren't many (if any) here, who do that.

What's really beginning to impress me, and I hope I'm not being too optimistic (we're all at such a weakened state after the past decade), is the approach of both the front office and this coaching staff. It's like we suddenly went from AAA ball to the pro's. The contrasts, at least so far, are startlingly different than the last 2 regimes. I mean no disrespect to Spags, but sometimes things just come a little too quickly. I'd have given my eye teeth to have him as DC today..

There's something "potentially" special going on here, let's just hope that it continues..... there's nothing like a little motivation" to spur performance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

Well said. I'd bold a certain statement but I don't know which one to choose.

I'd add that while I understand that it may be unlikely that JS is back with us next year, this contract seems to set up for the idea that if he plays like an all pro, he will get paid like an all pro. I think they would love to pay him the money if he is better than what they can get for that kind of money. He's still young and none of us (here) would have a problem with his salary if he was playing up to expectations.

superfan24

Starter
Way to go Demoff. I'm expected a huge year for Smith if the injuries hold off for once in the past 5 years for the Rams.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:

The bolded part actually irritates me for a different reason. Smith's raw, has serious technique problems, and has had major injury concerns in his professional career. But he isn't an idiot, and the guy has played through a lot of pain; in fact, I think the only times he's gone out of the lineup is when his injuries were concussion-related.

I don't think you can question his toughness or intelligence. Just his injury history and technique.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well here's to Smith being a good student under Bou and he blossoms into a great RT. Of course, some will always call him a bust because of his high drafting and his big contract but he can be a bust as far as I'm concerned as long as he puts it all together and anchors his side of the line.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where does this "bust" rank in our history? You can argue not a bust, but with the second pick, we got reamed compared to our somewhat similar pick of Orlando Pace and what we got out of him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamsSince1969 said:
Where does this "bust" rank in our history? You can argue not a bust, but with the second pick, we got reamed compared to our somewhat similar pick of Orlando Pace and what we got out of him.
We can compare him to the entire 2006 and 2007 draft if you want to see where he 'ranks.'

1 Tye Hill
2 Joe Klopfenstein
3 Claude Wroten
3 Jon Alston
3 Dominique Byrd
4 Victor Adeyanju
5 Marques Hagans
7 Tim McGarigle
7 Mark Setterstrom
7 Tony Palmer

1 Adam Carriker
2 Brian Leonard
3 Jonathan Wade
5 Dustin Fry
5 Clifton Ryan
6 Ken Shackleford
7 Keith Jackson
7 Derek Stanley

superfan24

Starter
X said:
RamsSince1969 said:
We can compare him to the entire 2006 and 2007 draft if you want to see where he 'ranks.'

1 Tye Hill
2 Joe Klopfenstein
3 Claude Wroten
3 Jon Alston
3 Dominique Byrd
4 Victor Adeyanju
5 Marques Hagans
7 Tim McGarigle
7 Mark Setterstrom
7 Tony Palmer

1 Adam Carriker
2 Brian Leonard
3 Jonathan Wade
5 Dustin Fry
5 Clifton Ryan
6 Ken Shackleford
7 Keith Jackson
7 Derek Stanley

Absolutely mind blowing how horrendous those two drafts turned out to be.