Jason Smith is happy. And renewed.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Nick Wagoner
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... e1a721b57f

JSmith_Feature_420_310.jpg

By the very nature of a concussion, not remembering something comes as part of the territory for Jason Smith.

Smith doesn’t remember much about the scary concussion and neck injury he suffered against Dallas on Oct. 23 of last year. He knows he traveled home with the team. He knows it ended his season prematurely for the second time in three years. Most of all, he knows that it’s changed his entire outlook not only football but on life.

[hil]“You can write this: I have a new outlook on life by faith,” Smith said. “Write that.”[/hil]

So it was that Smith arrived to the team’s minicamp yesterday and again Wednesday a changed man. The changes go much deeper than a haircut, a shave and a seemingly more chiseled frame.

The injury unquestionably hampered Smith’s progress in his third year in the league. It also has left the Rams with a big question mark at right tackle heading in to coach Jeff Fisher’s first season.

It’s no secret that as a former No. 2 overall pick, Smith comes with a pretty hefty price tag entering this season and the need to free up salary to sign free agents was clear heading into the start of the new league year.

Yet when the Rams purged some costly veterans, Smith remained. He had been cleared to resume football activities and he has already made a strong impression on Fisher and general manager Les Snead, both of whom seem willing to give Smith another shot to solidify his position.

“Yeah, he’s good,” Fisher said. “He’s been here, he’s been working. He’s been working very well inside and his condition level is excellent. We’re excited about a new start for him, if you will.”

Fisher isn’t the only one excited about a new beginning. Nobody is more excited about it than Smith. In fact, during an interview with a pair of reporters on Tuesday afternoon, excited was the word Smith most often repeated whether it was pertaining to being back on the football field, the new coaching staff or some of his teammates.

[hil]“I am happy they decided to keep me around so I am a new face, I’m a new, happy guy here,” Smith said.[/hil]

Regardless, Smith made it clear he knows as well as anyone that the slate is wiped clean and he has a chance to claim his position for good.

“I am excited about the future,” Smith said. “I am excited about where I am right now, where I am mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally. I am just going to combine those things and just be who I am and who I am supposed to be.”

While Smith is clearly bullish on his future and the next opportunity, he was equally down on the idea of discussing the past and the injury that cost him his 2011 seasons.

When asked repeatedly about the concussion and the resulting aftermath, Smith speaks about it to a point but then turns his attention to the future.

[hil]“The reality was it was a freakish accident,” Smith said. “It was what it was but the great thing is what is it now? It’s the past. It’s something I had to go through. I am just excited. I’m excited to be back walking, feeling good, wife not having to drive me around. There are a lot of things I’m just excited about.”[/hil]

Fisher acknowledged Wednesday that Smith is getting his chance to work again back at right tackle. Smith worked there over the past couple of days and seemed to have a little extra pep in his step.

The process of recovering from the concussion was a lengthy one, one that Smith said had plenty of starts and stops but the injury was also one that Smith recognizes could have been much worse.

“By faith, I was cleared the moment I got up,” Smith said. “Doctors wise, it was a process. Some of the details of it I wasn’t able to see clearly. I wasn’t able to move my neck. I wasn’t about to turn all the way around. Those things had to take place, the healing process before I got cleared. Once that took place I was cleared and ready to work out again.”

Upon being cleared to work out again, Smith has turned his attention to figuring out how to get better every day. He’s well aware of the expectations that came with his lofty draft status but he doesn’t allow himself to be concerned with those things.

Instead, Smith is doing everything he can to learn from new offensive line coach Paul Boudreau. Boudreau is known for a hard-nosed coaching style that simply gets results. [hil]In fact, Boudreau has had great success with players far less talented than Smith[/hil].

Boudreau’s presence is a big part of the reason Fisher and Co. are confident that they can draw Smith’s best football from him in 2012 and beyond.

Although Smith and the rest of the offensive line are just starting to get to know Boudreau, it’s apparently been made clear right away what’s expected of them moving forward.

“Couch Boudreau, he’s sound, he’s a technician, he’s determined,” Smith said. “If you look at his offensive lines in the past, it speaks for itself. He’s my new boss now. I enjoy him. He’s teaching us, he’s showing us, he’s demanding it and we are doing it. [hil]I am expecting a change in my performance.”[/hil]

A new tutor isn’t the only thing Smith is banking on helping him reach his potential.

“There are a lot of things,” Smith said. “Everybody wants to be strong. I want to work on my relationship with the players to become a better teammate, a better friend in some areas. And then in some areas, stricter, stricter in my performance and the details of my work. Then I need to be more fluid and relaxed. [hil]I need to relax and play ball and stop thinking about all those technical things and just play.”[/hil]

When asked whether Smith had a knack for over thinking things in the past and if that held him back, he initially bristled at the suggestion but relented and acknowledged the importance of being a little more instinctive and just letting natural talent and ability take over.

“That’s what you need to be as a person,” Smith said. “There’s no reason for anybody to walk around stuck up and scared. [hil]I can’t accurately keep the quarterback clean if I am tense.[/hil] It’s just little things like that I want to perfect.”

In some ways, Smith’s history of injuries has kept him from reaching the potential that landed him in St. Louis as the No. 2 overall draft pick in the first place. Those injuries haven’t allowed for a complete picture of what kind of player he can be in the NFL to develop just yet.

Still, it’s clear Smith knows this season will be a big one for him.

“My whole deal is being professional at my job, coming out here ready to work and then carrying over what I learn on the practice field and what I do on the practice field to games,” Smith said. “Then [hil]when the game comes, go out there and play, have fun, keep the quarterback clean and move people around for the running back[/hil], rejoice with your teammates when you score, rejoice about winning, things like that and looking at where we want to be and not where we are.”

A new start on a number of levels could be just the tonic for Smith as he looks to take the next step in his career. As far as he’s concerned the injuries and misses of the past are already forgotten and now is the time to take hold of this opportunity.

“I’m just [hil]happy[/hil],” Smith said. “I want to do my job. I want to do great. I want to be excellent. That’s what I can do for the team. I am just [hil]happy[/hil] to be part of this team. I am [hil]happy[/hil] to be part of the Rams all over again.”

steferfootball

Starter
I like smith. I hope our coaching staff's confidence in him is well warented.

I wouldn't mind signing an offenisve tackle just in case though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh definitely. When you only have one guy (Dahl) make it through the year unscathed, it'd be pretty freakin wise to go ahead and fill the stable. Fisher has a history of getting guys late and making good linemen out of them, so I expect (hope) that the Rams have some decent depth this year. Of course if anything happens that remotely resembles what happened last year, in terms of scale of injuries, we're screwed no matter what.

Let's all hope THAT is ancient history.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think this is one of the signs of a veteran coaching staff, getting players into the right mindset. I hope to see a big year from Jason Smith, I really do.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm elated to see him come in with a great attitude and ready to learn and play. Hopefully the new coaches will max him out this year and he stays healthy.

The most important thing I took from his comments was how he wants to let his instincts take over and play relaxed. If that happens he can still be a very decent tackle.

Anonymous

X said:
Oh definitely. When you only have one guy (Dahl) make it through the year unscathed, it'd be pretty freakin wise to go ahead and fill the stable. Fisher has a history of getting guys late and making good linemen out of them, so I expect (hope) that the Rams have some decent depth this year. Of course if anything happens that remotely resembles what happened last year, in terms of scale of injuries, we're screwed no matter what.

Let's all hope THAT is ancient history.

I have hopes for Mattison.

I think he can be a Fisher style guard.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I really like J-Smooth. He sounds the part and sometimes looks the part. He just seems like a cool dude. But seriously, what is it now, three serious concussions in his career already? And that's just in pro ball. With the rash of recent deaths of former players and reports of early dementia/alzheimers/whatever. This guy is in a pretty freaky place in life right now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Jason Smith said his rookie year "I'm Jason Smith and I'm built Ram tough."

Now's the time to really show it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
When asked whether Smith had a knack for over thinking things in the past and if that held him back, he initially bristled at the suggestion but relented and acknowledged the importance of being a little more instinctive and just letting natural talent and ability take over.

“That’s what you need to be as a person,” Smith said. [hil]“There’s no reason for anybody to walk around stuck up and scared. I can’t accurately keep the quarterback clean if I am tense.[/hil] It’s just little things like that I want to perfect.”
Anyone know what Jason is talking about here... why was he "tense", "stuck up", and "scared"?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
X said:

“That’s what you need to be as a person,” Smith said. [hil]“There’s no reason for anybody to walk around stuck up and scared. I can’t accurately keep the quarterback clean if I am tense.[/hil] It’s just little things like that I want to perfect.”
Anyone know what Jason is talking about here... why was he "tense", "stuck up", and "scared"?
well I'm no expert, but it sounds like he was overwhelmed; and instead of just admitting it, he was probably faking his way through it and overthinking everything instead of seeking help.

or not. I don't know.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
X said:

well I'm no expert, but it sounds like he was overwhelmed; and instead of just admitting it, he was probably faking his way through it and overthinking everything instead of seeking help.

or not. I don't know.

with all the injuries last year it just give one reason to pause when I hear that a player was playing 'tense'... wonder how many other players were playing this way as well?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Re:

interference said:
X said:
interference said:
X said:

or not. I don't know.

with all the injuries last year it just give one reason to pause when I hear that a player was playing 'tense'... wonder how many other players were playing this way as well?
Well, we've seen McD's body language on the sidelines. He didn't seem like a coach that tolerated inconsistency, which is what you get from young players in a new offense. In that atmosphere, on offense, would you feel comfortable telling your position coach you were overwhelmed?

Speeps

Starter
I'm a believer in Jason Smith. Coaching can do wonders for young players. And there is no secret that this team was not being properly coached last year. The position coaches weren't strong enough.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speeps said:
I'm a believer in Jason Smith. Coaching can do wonders for young players. And there is no secret that this team was not being properly coached last year. The position coaches weren't strong enough.
Yeah, I'm on the Smith wagon too. Just curious though, what specifically do you think was wrong with the coaching. Results are what they are, but what did you *see* that led you to believe they weren't coached properly. And who, specifically? McDaniels? Loney? Spagnuolo? Flajole?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
Speeps said:
Yeah, I'm on the Smith wagon too. Just curious though, what specifically do you think was wrong with the coaching. Results are what they are, but what did you *see* that led you to believe they weren't coached properly. And who, specifically? McDaniels? Loney? Spagnuolo? Flajole?
I was on the Smith wagon before last year. I'm not off of it because I think he's a bad player. I'm off of it because of the injuries. Concussions are serious and the next one will be easier to occur and can cause more lingering problems. If I'm Fisher I just can't count on him because of the injury issue. I hope he doesn't get hurt this year...in 2010 when he wasn't hurt he made significant progress and was playing very well by the end of the year.