Jason Peters anyone???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Interesting comment in a thread about a 9 time pro bowl undrafted free agent. Who knew OLine could be good if they came after the first or second round :)

Even blind squirrels get a nut now and then. Doesn’t mean you should build a strategy around poor odds.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He was a TE in college after being recruited as a DT. My point still stands the comment was it would be nice to draft an OLine high in a thread about Peters who wasn't drafted and wasn't also an OT in college. To knock a team for not spending high picks on OLine is fine but realize lower picks and UDFA can become very good players, if given the chance which a lot of people around here seem to not want to do most of the time.

Is it possible? Sure. Does it happen very often? No. More importantly has it happened for Snead? No. He’s taken late round Olinemen and Oline as udfa’s. Some that he thought very highly of. None have panned out so far. His biggest success in that department may be Blythe who was picked up from Indianapolis and lacking in some major ways.

The point is it’s a long shot. And if you have a good unit it’s a risk teams can take but when the line isn’t good, it’s not a great strategy.l to fix things.

I know that the Rams are content with letting their guys develop, or that’s what they claim. But look at the long game. How many will become very good? How many will be good enough but could use an upgrade? How many will flop? It’s a position that requires some yearly infusion, especially since Olineman from Spread offenses have a big adjustment to the Pros. Not many come plug and play.

I guess to me it’s about being good and not just getting by. Maybe they have a grander scheme. Maybe they have their eye on a free agent center next March or a Left tackle in a trade and are just waiting to clear cap space, or they are preparing to trade another first round pick to get their guy. But that’s an unknown. So just based off of what happened last season, all we really know is what we had at seasons end and how they performed against good defenses. I’m not going to speculate that someone can improve or not. Blythe has pretty much been the same guy, Rob took a step back, whits getting older. Throw in Kromer’s history of having some very good vets on his lines and it’s making me wonder who has he ever really developed? Ryan Groy?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even blind squirrels get a nut now and then. Doesn’t mean you should build a strategy around poor odds.
Is it possible? Sure. Does it happen very often? No. More importantly has it happened for Snead? No. He’s taken late round Olinemen and Oline as udfa’s. Some that he thought very highly of. None have panned out so far. His biggest success in that department may be Blythe who was picked up from Indianapolis and lacking in some major ways.

The point is it’s a long shot. And if you have a good unit it’s a risk teams can take but when the line isn’t good, it’s not a great strategy.l to fix things.

I know that the Rams are content with letting their guys develop, or that’s what they claim. But look at the long game. How many will become very good? How many will be good enough but could use an upgrade? How many will flop? It’s a position that requires some yearly infusion, especially since Olineman from Spread offenses have a big adjustment to the Pros. Not many come plug and play.

I guess to me it’s about being good and not just getting by. Maybe they have a grander scheme. Maybe they have their eye on a free agent center next March or a Left tackle in a trade and are just waiting to clear cap space, or they are preparing to trade another first round pick to get their guy. But that’s an unknown. So just based off of what happened last season, all we really know is what we had at seasons end and how they performed against good defenses. I’m not going to speculate that someone can improve or not. Blythe has pretty much been the same guy, Rob took a step back, whits getting older. Throw in Kromer’s history of having some very good vets on his lines and it’s making me wonder who has he ever really developed? Ryan Groy?
Meh I was going to reiterate my point but it's all good. Too many people are giving up on the season because McVay and Snead didn't run the draft the way they wanted. Now people think we should sign Peters while bemoaning that Whitworth is too old when Peters is a month younger than Whit.

People upset about our ILB crew because they're low draft picks or UDFA and unproven because we let Littleton walk who himself was a UDFA and they were nervous taking over the ILB spot because he was also an unproven young special team player.

No we can't rely on UDFA starting even though there are a lot of them starting in the NFL.

Give up on Kromer all you want the guy with the addition of two vets turned our OLine around when he came here. He's earned the right to try his way IMO.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

Thanks for clearing that up dude that changes things then so if that's the case then I'm thinking Glenn would be the cheapest and the most versitiale should someone not play up to par or the dreaded injury bug strikes.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I like our guards a lot more than most, I guess. The issue is gonna be gelling early.

Heck, I’d do everything to help bring them together. Give them a clubhouse... w/e it takes!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh I was going to reiterate my point but it's all good. Too many people are giving up on the season because McVay and Snead didn't run the draft the way they wanted. Now people think we should sign Peters while bemoaning that Whitworth is too old when Peters is a month younger than Whit.

People upset about our ILB crew because they're low draft picks or UDFA and unproven because we let Littleton walk who himself was a UDFA and they were nervous taking over the ILB spot because he was also an unproven young special team player.

No we can't rely on UDFA starting even though there are a lot of them starting in the NFL.

Give up on Kromer all you want the guy with the addition of two vets turned our OLine around when he came here. He's earned the right to try his way IMO.

this is the bill burr retort to internet complainers. funny as heck and 100% truth at the same time.

there's plenty of examples but here's the best.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It doesn't make sense to sign another 38-year-old Left Tackle.

No it doesn't. Particularly one who's played a complete season twice in the last 5 years. Would not be a intelligent signing.