Jarvis Jones (4-3 OLB?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I love the way Jarvis Jones plays football (Very aggressive and tenacious!) and recently have been reading that some Rams fans would like to see the Rams select him if he falls that far. I have also been reading that supposedly some draft evaluators are saying he can play the 4-3 OLB position. I always thought he was basically a 3-4 OLB or possibly a smaller 4-3 DE. Can some fans that are more familiar with Jarvis Jones please give their opinions on what position(s) Jones is best suited for in the NFL?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
paceram said:
I love the way Jarvis Jones plays football (Very aggressive and tenacious!) and recently have been reading that some Rams fans would like to see the Rams select him if he falls that far. I have also been reading that supposedly some draft evaluators are saying he can play the 4-3 OLB position. I always thought he was basically a 3-4 OLB or possibly a smaller 4-3 DE. Can some fans that are more familiar with Jarvis Jones please give their opinions on what position(s) Jones is best suited for in the NFL?

He's a linebacker in any system. A top three player who's falling because of workout and medical concerns. As a pure pass-rusher, he has no equal in this draft. He dominated everyone in college. If a 4-3 team's going to use him, it'll be in a Von Miller-like role. Jones is a little bigger and a little slower than Miller, but the comparison fits.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think he falls to 16, but if he's there the Rams will have a hard time not picking him. Austin, Jones, Vaccaro and Patterson there at 16, I gotta expect the pick to be Jones.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Definitely would be interesting if he fell to 16. It may happen too. The medical issue(narrowing spine) will scare some teams off.

He is a playmaker. Probably the best defensive playmaker in this draft. While I dont put a lot of weight on player workouts, his 40 time would have to worry any team that would plug him in at 4-3 OLB. A 4.9 40 is terrible for a player that would have to play in space as a 4-3 OLB. He definitely plays faster than his 40. I think Von Miller, like Memento mentioned, would be the best NFL player comparison, but Miller ran a significantly faster 40(4.4).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I can't see the Rams passing on Jones at 16. I understand teams being reluctant with the top 7 or 8 picks but he is too big of a talent to pass on at 16.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
With him on the outside, I think I our front 7 would be the top 3, and might be the best in the NFL next year. We would also take a hole and turn it into a big strength. I think it would be very hard to run on our team or pass in obvious passing downs. If he is there at 16, he's too good to pass up.

I honestly can't think of anyone else who might be at #16 that I think might end up being a better player (including Austin)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good article on Jarvis Jones;

Philadelphia, PA – You might call it swagger versus speed when discussing Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones and his NFL draft prospects.

Jones, however, is facing a few more hurdles than just a bad 40-time.

The confident two-time All-American is certain he belongs at the very top of anyone's draft board, and wasn't shy in voicing that opinion after Georgia's pro day on Thursday.

"At the end of the day I think I'm the number one player (in the draft)," the 6-foot-2, 242-pound hybrid told D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal- Constitution.

A bold statement considering he just finished a very disappointing workout, one in which he ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.9-second range, a painfully slow time for a player projected as an edge pass rusher.

Jones, of course, didn't run at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis so his pro day was an opportunity to solidify his somewhat shaky draft position. Some experts have tabbed Jones as a top-five player and others have him slipping closer to the end of the first round.

The film he put together with the Bulldogs is certainly impressive, so much so that a number of teams selecting in the top five like Kansas City, Philadelphia and Detroit have all scheduled visits with the Richland, Ga., native.

When the dust settled on Thursday, however, Jones was given an official time of 4.85 in the 40, something which will set off alarm bells for certain scouts.

"I think a 4.9 is a red flag," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "I talked to a lot of coaches and scouts and they all said the same thing: 'Wow. A lot slower than we expected.'"

Remember the-sky-is-falling mentality when Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o ran his 40-yard dash at the Combine and was clocked at 4.82 seconds. And Te'o is an inside linebacker, not a guy expected to chase down quarterbacks like Robert Griffin III and Colin Kaepernick in space.

Jones apologists quickly brought up the name of Terrell Suggs, a premier pass rusher in college at Arizona State who had comparable speed to Jones when coming out in the 2003 draft.

The Baltimore Ravens ignored the whispers downplaying Suggs' athleticism, drafted him with the 10th overall pick and the rest is history. Baltimore has watched Suggs develop into one of the NFL's best defenders, culminating with Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2011 and a Super Bowl championship this past season.

Former NFL general manager and current NFL Network talking head Charley Casserly was one of those citing Suggs when discussing Jones' ceiling as a player. Casserly offered one cautionary note, though, pointing out that the Ravens star is bulkier and stronger than Jones with a playing weight of around 260 pounds.

When pressed, Casserly, who was a part of four Super Bowl teams during his 23- year career in the Washington Redskins front office, said he couldn't remember any linebackers succeeding in the NFL with Jones' size-speed ratio.

Complicating things further is Jones' position on the field. He played in a 4-3 at Georgia, but could be a better fit in a 3-4 rush scheme with fewer responsibilities.
Detractors label him a tweener, unable to handle the pass coverage responsibilities of a traditional 4-3 linebacker, and a guy who lacks the bulk and perhaps the closing speed to take on a Suggs-like role.

Jones, on the other hand, plays up his versatility.

"I feel like I'm an impact player. I make plays," he said. "I think I bring versatility to the team. I can play Sam linebacker. I can play Will linebacker. I can play 4-3. I can play a 3-4. I'm just gonna get after you. I'm gonna get after the QB every play."

The final question surrounding Jones might be the most delicate -- his medical condition.

Jones has been diagnosed with spinal stenois, an abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal.

"I have a slight narrowing in my spine between the C4 and C5 (vertebrae)," Jones said when interviewed at the combine. "Like pretty much everybody -- probably some of y'all have spinal stenosis and don't know it -- I have it."

Here's the difference: People like me can write a column on Jarvis Jones with spinal stenois and it's not going to result in pain, numbness and loss of motor control -- things that could happen on the football field in a worse-case scenario.

Hall of Fame Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin was forced to retire in 1999 after being diagnosed with spinal stenosis and suffering a scary injury in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"Anybody who steps on that field has a chance of getting hurt," Jones said. "If you think about it like that, nobody would ever play football. For me, I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity. I love this game. I'm passionate about it. I know that I've got to be careful about my technique and how I play this game."

In the end, Jones' poor showing in Athens on Thursday probably knocked him down a bit on most draft boards. But, it only takes one team to believe.

"There a lot of things I just can't control," Jones said. "I'm just gonna stay prayed up about it. I think I have a great supporting cast from my family and my friends.
"I just gotta sit and wait now."

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/22/extra-points-questions-build-around-jarvis-jones/#ixzz2QRrqF1Ar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/2 ... z2QRrqF1Ar</a>

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He wouldn't be a liability at all in pass coverage at all....... Because he would never be in pass coverage.

He would spend all his time in the backfield trying to find something to eat. He would be 3 down player, total blitz monster and read option killer. You don't scheme him into the D you scheme the D around him. He's also a big plus in run D.

This would give the Ramd the best pass rush in the NFL by far and the top front seven.

Never going to happen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not have the issues with Jones that I have with Tree. Jones IMO would appear to be an outstanding strong side LB'er candidate. While he has holes in his game now that will need to improve but he would be something to watch when he is behind Chris long & Brockers on that strong side. If Jarvis was to blitz with Chris on that left side the offensive play is in serious trouble from the moment the ball hits the QB's hands. I could also see where Fisher could be tempted to rethink his regular base 4-2-5 defense much more with the Jarvis pick.

On the flip side the selection of a part time strongside LB'er type with your #16 selection will cause some heartburn you do not do it. The apparent Jarvis lack of speed may insure he is just a strong side LB'er. Do you really use your #16 pick on a part time position. But you could flip him in passing situations with Quinn on the right-side and see how the offense handles those two speeders at the same time blitzing too. I think Jarvis will handle the 9ers & Seahawks QB runs to the weak side better than Quinn but thats not really saying much because Quinn was the worse I have ever seen in may years.

Bottom line is if Javis is just a SSLB'er in a 43 defense and your HC & DC are 4-2-5 bas'ers over 50% of the defensive plays it may not be the best defense for Jarvis to play and excel in. Looks to me that you may need to get more creative in the use of Jarvis in this Ram defense but no matter what side Jarvis blitzes from with a DL like Long-Hayes-Sims-Quinn then throw in a Jarvis ????? would be fun to see!

Not so sure what Fisher is going to do in the secondary here with a new DC loosing both his starting safeties & long time starter who was Fishers Nickle & then Dime backer In Bradley Fletcher so three key components are missing from last years defense. Not sure how the Trumaine Johnson situation is going to play out. One should recall that TJ had red flags on his character before the draft with many draft sites saying he had first round talent BUT....

When your looking @ Jarvis Jones you have to be looking at it as OSLB'er vs the Rams critical DB needs. I do not see a FS worthy of consideration #16, I can say the same about any CB in this draft too. So selecting a any safety or Corner this high as a waste of a high selection. End of this story so you would have to consider Jarvis then see if he can be an ihigh impact play-maker in Fisher's defense?

I do feel that Jarvis Jones could relieve some of these pressing needs of use of so many nickels & dime defenses just do not known if Fisher & new DC will want to change this direction. Lets face it Rams have not had a SSLB'er with such outstanding natural pass rushing abilities usually these tweener critters go to all these numerous 34 defensive teams the 9ers would not blink on Jarvis if they had the #16 pick. The 9ers ( who have more picks than any other NFL teams) could desire to jump from #31 & trade & select Jarvis to fill the 4th LBer position giving them the best a all star lb'ing cadres not seen in many decades. They all ready have the two best ISLB'ers in the game & one of the best newest OLSL'ers in Sheldon Smith then add a Jarvis Jones that would be insane?

If the Rams were in the position of selecting Jarvis I know many team would be calling Snead.