Jared Goff - System

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I highly recommend reading this article as it has a lot of good information but I want to quote an excerpt for it because I see Goff get knocked a lot for his system. I think people focus far too much on a label ("Air Raid") and far too little on what he's doing in the system. I've said it before but the biggest differences for him at the NFL level will be the verbiage and having a larger playbook. The system he plays in now is not your average "Air Raid" system. He basically is treated like a NFL QB within that system.

Here's the article and the quote (from Goff's former Offensive Coordinator):
Code:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2606877-former-cal-offensive-coordinator-dispels-myths-regarding-qb-jared-goff
"TF (Tony Franklin): First of all, I hate when people call our deal the Air Raid. I don't like it. It all goes back to a time when there was an offense called the Air Raid. If you ever coached with anybody in that, people take credit and say, "Yeah, they do what we do."

If you watch our offense, that's not who we are. We want to run the football. We tried to run the football. If we can, we do run the football. We have a tremendous amount of play-action passes and big sets. We have sets with seven offensive linemen in the game at the same time. We have sets with two or three tight ends in the game.

We weren't a check-with-me system. There are times in my career where I did that, because it helped us win games. But our offense now is built upon progression reads.

There are many plays when you watch Jared, he gets to his fifth progression. It's a straight dropback system where he goes through his progression and tries to get to that fifth read within three seconds. If he doesn't, he'll be in trouble, because he'll be sacked.

We do a tremendous amount of run-pass stuff where we have a run play called with a two- or three-route combination on it.

He's taking the snap as the coverages take place, fitting the ball into the running back's stomach and needs to make a decision whether he'll hand the ball off or throw to the first or second read in the progression.

It's all based on post-snap reads.

Another thing we do with him, he was able to change protections at any time. He was allowed to change the play at any time. He probably had to do more than any NFL quarterback does right now.

A lot of what Jared did: I call a play with two or three guys running routes within the play. Pre-snap, he can come up and change everything. He could change the play completely if he wanted to do so. He could just change the protection. Or he could wait until the ball is snapped and make a decision based on what the defense did.

I try to make everything simple for the quarterback, but it doesn't mean it's simple. It's my job to make him believe what he's doing is simple. So, we tried to teach in simplistic terms.

Instead of saying, "when they're in Cover 8 or 6 and the safety does this, you automatically do that," I didn't give him automatics. We talked in theories. Theoretically, this is what they're trying to do, but it doesn't mean it's going to work.

Ninety percent of defensive coordinators after something went wrong with a player say, "We misaligned," or "we didn't get the check," or "the strong safety got the check, but the free safety didn't."

Most of the time, defenses don't know what they're doing.

If I tell Jared as a quarterback, "If the safety does this, you should automatically go to this," I'm not giving him rules that actually work. I'm giving him rules that are supposed to work. It doesn't mean they do.

What I do is teach him what they're trying to do. Therefore, if there is something easy within the progression and you want to take it, great, do that.

Otherwise, let's go through the system and see if one, two, three, four and five are going to work if we're dropping back like we're supposed to."

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
More reads on Tony Franklin here: http://smartfootball.com/offense/th...-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond
(scroll down to "Tony Franklin’s System: Air Raid for the Masses")

Interesting article from when his system was the polar opposite concept, where his QB "didn't have to speak": http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/07/sports/la-sp-1107-louisiana-tech-offense-20121107

Also Franklin's consulting site: http://www.tonyfranklinfootball.com/
(I like the testimonials like "Tony Franklin got me $33,000!")

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Everything you described, describes a West Coast QB.

Which is great. I think Goff may well be an excellent West Coast Offense QB. It's just not what we're going to run this year as Groh moves the passing game to the Gase offense (I still need to find out what tree that is, 'cuz I doubt Gase reinvented the passing game wheel) and we already know because Fish outright said they were moving away from the WCO.

Unlike other QBs who get dinged for coming from a spread (Bradford comes to mind), I think Goff is getting dinged because he projects as a WCO and not every team runs that... and he's not very big. That matters... ask any DT who's tried to sack Ben Roethlisberger or Cam Newton... Size matters.

And I KNOW you don't want to hear this... but does Goff project as a Fisher kind of QB to you? Not a guy YOU want, but the kind of guy Fisher would get? Cuz that's all that will matter in the end...

Sure doesn't seem like a Fisher guy to me...

Just sayin...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everything you described, describes a West Coast QB.

Which is great. I think Goff may well be an excellent West Coast Offense QB. It's just not what we're going to run this year as Groh moves the passing game to the Gase offense (I still need to find out what tree that is, 'cuz I doubt Gase reinvented the passing game wheel) and we already know because Fish outright said they were moving away from the WCO.

Unlike other QBs who get dinged for coming from a spread (Bradford comes to mind), I think Goff is getting dinged because he projects as a WCO and not every team runs that... and he's not very big. That matters... ask any DT who's tried to sack Ben Roethlisberger or Cam Newton... Size matters.

And I KNOW you don't want to hear this... but does Goff project as a Fisher kind of QB to you? Not a guy YOU want, but the kind of guy Fisher would get? Cuz that's all that will matter in the end...

Sure doesn't seem like a Fisher guy to me...

Just sayin...

Yea. You're right. He's probably not a Fisher guy. But I don't want a Fisher guy. Fisher hasn't had a quality QB in over a decade.

And again, I disagree with the West Coast QB label. If Andy Dalton can excel in an Air Coryell offense this year, I think Goff can handle anything we throw at him.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I know part of my issue with Goff is his motion...and that goes back to my baseball roots.

Like I said before, if he was a pitcher, it'd be a big, red flag. But he isn't a pitcher. I dunno how big of an issue it will be, but don't think for a minute that when teams put his motion under scrutiny that they aren't seeing that hitch (or cocking his wrist).

Will it make a difference? I dunno.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yea. You're right. He's probably not a Fisher guy. But I don't want a Fisher guy. Fisher hasn't had a quality QB in over a decade.

And again, I disagree with the West Coast QB label. If Andy Dalton can excel in an Air Coryell offense this year, I think Goff can handle anything we throw at him.
Goff is a smart cookie. He's one of the very few that could start this year, IMO. Some other guys project well, but Goff, appears to be a very early starter. His OL, absolutely sucked, he got hammered over, and over, yet he brought his team back to compete many, many times. He made several unbelievable throws under heavy duress. His intangibles are what makes him a very good prospect. He will get bigger, and stronger...hell, put him in that Brandon Allen stretching machine....

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I really liked what I heard from both Goff and Wentz at their Combine interviews. Goff came off very well. I like that he's clear that he needs to work MORE on working from under center. That's Goff saying that. That's good. I realize that he's working from a modified Air Raid offense, but that's not the same as the Pro style Wentz was in, for example or what Winston came from last year. And as one of the articles posted here stated about QBs, that transition isn't impossible, but projecting it is. Not that projecting success from the draft even at more settled positions is much easier, but it's only magnified at the most crucial position in all of sports, the one position which relies the most on the performance of others, yet is singularly rewarded and scrutinized as individual in its accomplishment and achievement.

I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion that the Rams like another QB and someone like Treadwell has them drooling.

I prefer going after Wentz or standing with Keenum or Mannion. I know plenty want Goff.

There's a few who like Cook...I think.

But I dunno if anyone is advocating for who the Snisher may be holding behind his back.

I dunno why, but I just have this feeling that the first night after the draft, it's gonna be, "well, I don't HATE the pick. Guy X has the chance to be outstanding. But... what are we gonna do at QB!!!"

That's just my gut talking.

But then, I had dairy tonight. I took a Lactaid, but maybe it wasn't enough and my gut maybe isn't being nice.

I dunno.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My gut is telling me that the Rams will go after Paxton Lynch. Fits with their MO. I don't believe that Snead and Fisher are content with the QBs they have after last year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My gut is telling me that the Rams will go after Paxton Lynch. Fits with their MO. I don't believe that Snead and Fisher are content with the QBs they have after last year.

Certainly seems like the athletic upside type they like. Should be reachable with a trade too.

I think Goff would be good in any system, but I think he and Wentz are out of reach. I would be very happy with Lynch.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's just not what we're going to run this year as Groh moves the passing game to the Gase offense (I still need to find out what tree that is, 'cuz I doubt Gase reinvented the passing game wheel) and we already know because Fish outright said they were moving away from the WCO.
I missed Fisher's quote saying that, do you have it or the link?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol...that offensive coordinator said "90% of the time defenses don't know what they're doing" - referring to a misaligned player...

If that's true in college, no wonder it's so hard to project a QB to the NFL - no way defenses in the NFL are off that much

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lol...that offensive coordinator said "90% of the time defenses don't know what they're doing" - referring to a misaligned player...

If that's true in college, no wonder it's so hard to project a QB to the NFL - no way defenses in the NFL are off that much

I watched some of Goff on draftbreakdown.com. That offense sure looks a lot like 9ers west coast stuff. After seeing that and how he throws I too wonder how far he can comfortably and accurately sling it. I love his pocket presence and instincts. He is great at making plays, but he really looks like he is putting a lot of body motion behind those longer throws to get them where he wants them. He is very accurate though.

WvuIN02

Starter
Good read.

We get this crap all the time at WVU from people who throw labels around. Oh, Holgorsen was with Hal Mumme and Mike Leach, so it must be the Air Raid offense. Even though our offense has adjusted to the personnel, this past year we were a rushing attack first and foremost and Wendell Smallwood tore it up. Geno Smith wasnt a one read QB, and our wide receivers on some plays had option routes where they read the defense and had to be on the same page as the QB.

Leach's offense was something like 80% pass, we had over 60% run or something this year...so yea, just because someone coached with someone else doesnt mean they are the same or even similar.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care about what offense he ran, his footwork looks good, love his quick release. Think Wentz will be a Brown and we could have a shot at him

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It was here, somewhere...
I'd like to see it since I'm hoping it's true, but sadly I can't believe it until I see it. Here's the only quote I've seen:

“Being in the system I just came out of -- whatever you want to call it, ‘Peyton’s system,’ the ‘Adam Gase offense’ -- is something that I think is sought after in this league right now,” Groh said ... “My experience being in that system to go along with working for coach Trestman for a couple years, and being in the West Coast offense, I think, are some of the things they were looking for [with] some new pass ideas,” Groh said. “Hopefully, I can bring that.”​

The translation to me, after enjoying Fisher these past few years, is maybe Groh can bring in some Gase elements, but the Rams offense is still going to be a hybrid of several concepts including wuss coast offense, which to me pretty much just says more of the same old, same old as commanded by Fisher. I was fooled thinking Cigs background with Mike McCarthy meant a more creative, aggressive version, but I'm not going to buy into it this year until I see it on the field. (After 4 preseason games of "don't worry it's just vanilla" of course...)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was fooled thinking Cigs background with Mike McCarthy meant a more creative, aggressive version
Maybe I missed it, but when did Cignetti ever work with McCarthy? Or am I reading this wrong?