Jared Goff: Rookie Bust to Second Year Breakout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

The Rams No. 1 overall pick from a season ago did not have the type of rookie season he, or anyone, had envisioned when his name was called on draft night. He didn’t get his first start until Week 10 of the season, he threw only five TDs with seven interceptions, and he was sacked 26 times in seven games.

His fantasy numbers were even worse. He averaged 11.7 fantasy points per game (four points per TD) ranking him as the 41st QB in fantasy last year. Quarterbacks Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and even fellow Rams QB Case Keenum all averaged more fantasy points per game. It doesn’t get much worse than that, but on the bright side, there is only one way to go and that’s up.

The Rams made a number of offseason moves that will go a long way to making Goff a viable fantasy starter or at the very least a “play the matchup” QB that could be a nice bye-week fill-in.

The first thing they did was add veteran leadership to their offensive line by signing free agent Pro Bowl LT Andrew Whitworth. The Rams offensive line was ranked 27th by Pro Football Focus, and for the seven games that Goff started they gave up nearly four sacks per game. Whitworth in an immediate upgrade and should go a long way to shoring up some of their issues up front. They also added veteran WR Robert Woods. Woods may not jump off the page as a huge weapon but will be a reliable receiver for Goff in 2017.

In the draft, they upgraded their offensive weapons by using three of their first four picks on pass catchers. They took TE Gerald Everett in the second round. Yes, many experts thought that was too early to draft Everett, but the fact remains that he is an upgrade over what they had last year. Everett has upside as a pass catcher in this offense and standing at 6-foot-3 will be a big target in the middle of the field for Goff.

In rounds three and four they took two WRs; Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington and Josh of Reynolds Texas A&M. It is still unclear what the WR corps will look like to start 2017, with Woods, Tavon Austin and last year’s rookies Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas already on the roster, but it will breed some good competition in camp and nothing bad comes from competition.

Finally, in what may have been their biggest and most impactful move, St. Louis fired incumbent HC Jeff Fisher and replaced him with Sean McVay. McVay coached one of the best offenses in the NFL last year as the offensive coordinator of the Redskins, and he will look to bring some of that magic to an offense that was downright putrid in 2016.

When you combine all the offseason moves with an expected bounce-back season from Todd Gurley, Jared Goff may have just enough firepower on this team to become fantasy relevant and show everyone why he was the No. 1 overall pick in 2016.

My prediction for him is 4,000 yards 26 TDs and 16 INTs
which would have put him in "Jameis Winston" territory had he put up those numbers in 2016. Winston was a top 15 QB last year and is about what I’m expecting from Goff in 2017.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/06/jared-goff-rookie-bust-to-second-year-breakout-fantasy-football/

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he does that well (4000 yards and 26 TD's), the Rams are a playoff contender.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he does that well (4000 yards and 26 TD's), the Rams are a playoff contender.

I think it's a reasonable prediction, close to 4k, ~25 TD's. Last year I noticed Goff very poised and decisive in the red zone. I think he's comfortable in those scenarios, and we have VERY sticky-hand and tough type of receivers in Woods, Kupp, Spruce, Reynolds, Higbee, and Everett. (all could be very good RZ threats).

Gurley is going to have ATLEAST 10TD's.

Talk about a nice well-oiled McVay offense! :D

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think it's a reasonable prediction, close to 4k, ~25 TD's. Last year I noticed Goff very poised and decisive in the red zone. I think he's comfortable in those scenarios, and we have VERY sticky-hand and tough type of receivers in Woods, Kupp, Spruce, Reynolds, Higbee, and Everett. (all could be very good RZ threats).

Gurley is going to have ATLEAST 10TD's.

Talk about a nice well-oiled McVay offense! :D
Gurley had 6 TDs in a dog shit offense. I'm thinking closer to 15.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We were in
Gurley had 6 TDs in a dog crap offense. I'm thinking closer to 15.
The Rams were in so many games last year where if the O could have done anything to stay on the field in the fourth quarter, they would have won the game. We will be in Rams fan Heaven if the team can actually can score 21-35 per game on a regular basis. Easily a playoff team. Please don't break my heart again, ha!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
4K may be a bit high in my eyes even in today's NFL. Still a lot of adjusting and 1st year kinks we are going to have to fight through, but 25-30 td's is reasonable. I hope Gurley gets his double-digit td totals, but again, it all comes back to how quickly can our oline mesh and how healthy our entire unit can stay. Our depth is not that deep and talented. Heading into this off-season I felt our BIGGEST area of focus should've been our oline. Hopefully this veteran group can hold up and take some pressure off of Goff/Gurley.

Who's in for another OROY from our boys?!!! Kupp or Everett could surprise (although just hearing from the pundits and Everett himself, he is very raw, but full of promise).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My prediction for him is 4,000 yards 26 TDs and 16 INTs which would have put him in "Jameis Winston" territory had he put up those numbers in 2016. Winston was a top 15 QB last year and is about what I’m expecting from Goff in 2017.
I'll accept this^ prediction, but as to the rest of the Op., heard it all before.:blah::blah::blah::blah: No Brilliant insight here! Really ...

move along.jpg

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
I've been drinking the Kool Aid for eons. Last year I thought I was going to pop. Tavon was going to double his production. Gurley was going to threaten 2000 yds. With the addition of Goff, our offense was going to convert a lot more 3rd downs due to his accuracy. We were going to have a top 5 D. 10 wins was not going to be a problem. Well the Kool Aid went sour. I told myself that I wasn't going to do it this year. I was going to wait for preseason. That was then. McVay, the offense, Kupp, Woods, 77, the center, etc has started the fluids to flowing. I can't wait to see what happens when the pads go on. If Brown is going against Donald in practice, it should make him all pro. I want to see what the O does against the D. That should be a true indicator.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We need to replace the beer emoji with a kool-aid emoji, considering all the cheers I'm doing! :D

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Real football only please. "fantasy football" does not qualify as real football talk.
I care about Goff winning GAMES for the Rams and could not care less about anyone's "fantasy" team.
Sure, I want my quarterback leading the league in TDs and passing yards as was the norm with Warner and Bulger put up some stats too.
But those are the last 2 QBs to put up any real numbers and what made it great was those "numbers" translated to WINS on the field.
Anything other than that is lame.

RedRam

Pro Bowler

The Rams No. 1 overall pick from a season ago did not have the type of rookie season he, or anyone, had envisioned when his name was called on draft night. He didn’t get his first start until Week 10 of the season, he threw only five TDs with seven interceptions, and he was sacked 26 times in seven games.

His fantasy numbers were even worse. He averaged 11.7 fantasy points per game (four points per TD) ranking him as the 41st QB in fantasy last year. Quarterbacks Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and even fellow Rams QB Case Keenum all averaged more fantasy points per game. It doesn’t get much worse than that, but on the bright side, there is only one way to go and that’s up.

The Rams made a number of offseason moves that will go a long way to making Goff a viable fantasy starter or at the very least a “play the matchup” QB that could be a nice bye-week fill-in.

The first thing they did was add veteran leadership to their offensive line by signing free agent Pro Bowl LT Andrew Whitworth. The Rams offensive line was ranked 27th by Pro Football Focus, and for the seven games that Goff started they gave up nearly four sacks per game. Whitworth in an immediate upgrade and should go a long way to shoring up some of their issues up front. They also added veteran WR Robert Woods. Woods may not jump off the page as a huge weapon but will be a reliable receiver for Goff in 2017.

In the draft, they upgraded their offensive weapons by using three of their first four picks on pass catchers. They took TE Gerald Everett in the second round. Yes, many experts thought that was too early to draft Everett, but the fact remains that he is an upgrade over what they had last year. Everett has upside as a pass catcher in this offense and standing at 6-foot-3 will be a big target in the middle of the field for Goff.

In rounds three and four they took two WRs; Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington and Josh of Reynolds Texas A&M. It is still unclear what the WR corps will look like to start 2017, with Woods, Tavon Austin and last year’s rookies Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas already on the roster, but it will breed some good competition in camp and nothing bad comes from competition.

Finally, in what may have been their biggest and most impactful move, St. Louis fired incumbent HC Jeff Fisher and replaced him with Sean McVay. McVay coached one of the best offenses in the NFL last year as the offensive coordinator of the Redskins, and he will look to bring some of that magic to an offense that was downright putrid in 2016.

When you combine all the offseason moves with an expected bounce-back season from Todd Gurley, Jared Goff may have just enough firepower on this team to become fantasy relevant and show everyone why he was the No. 1 overall pick in 2016.

My prediction for him is 4,000 yards 26 TDs and 16 INTs
which would have put him in "Jameis Winston" territory had he put up those numbers in 2016. Winston was a top 15 QB last year and is about what I’m expecting from Goff in 2017.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/06/jared-goff-rookie-bust-to-second-year-breakout-fantasy-football/

St. Louis?! Really??

As a point of order, I have to disregard this guy's article. C'mon man! It's been over a year already... ;)

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I haven't changed my mind or expectations for the Rams 2016 "Number One" overall selection since he was drafted.

I was bitterly disappointed like everyone else was, but I never expected him to light up the NFL in his first season.

Did I expect that crap display we all witnessed last year? No way, but aside from Fisher, Boras, Weinke and the poor O-Line he was dealt with, JG failed to deliver on his own merit regardless of his "Bear Raid" spread formation background.

I could still be wrong and he may never live up to being the #1 pick, but until we see him fail for a full season under McVay and his staff, I'm still all in.

I know there are many that will shrug and mock my LOFTY.........

i

r163367_576x324_16-9.jpg

Zero

Pro Bowler
2017 Jared Goff - 29 Tds - 8 Ints - 4400 Yrds -Wild card-play-off berth- 9-7- (Baby Gronk 10 Tds)
If Goff pulled those numbers,we would not be a wildcard team.
That's Division Champ numbers.
Don't under estimate the "Son of a Bum" Factor.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Love the optimism here. But I'd settle for 3500 yards 20 TD's 10 INT's. If he completes 60 percent of his passes with around 500 attempts that would give him a decent QB rating around the mid 80's. That would be acceptable for his second season and first with the new staff and receivers. If Gurley can complement that with 1200 yards and 10 TD's I can see this team contending for a playoff spot with their defense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I haven't changed my mind or expectations for the Rams 2016 "Number One" overall selection since he was drafted.

I was bitterly disappointed like everyone else was, but I never expected him to light up the NFL in his first season.

Did I expect that crap display we all witnessed last year? No way, but aside from Fisher, Boras, Weinke and the poor O-Line he was dealt with, JG failed to deliver on his own merit regardless of his "Bear Raid" spread formation background.

I could still be wrong and he may never live up to being the #1 pick, but until we see him fail for a full season under McVay and his staff, I'm still all in.

I know there are many that will shrug and mock my LOFTY.........

i

r163367_576x324_16-9.jpg
No problem, If Troy Aikman coming out can have a piss poor 1st year and turn it around so can Goff!!(y);):yay::yess: