Jared Goff: Rams offense found 'new identity' in final 5 games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1190764778.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

3 hours ago
When you look back on the Rams’ 2019 season, it’s difficult to say what their identity was on offense. The past two years, they were a team that ran the ball successfully and utilized play-action passes better than just about any other team in the NFL.
This season, neither was the case. Todd Gurley averaged 3.8 yards per carry and wasn’t a factor as a receiver, while Jared Goff had two touchdowns and five interceptions on play action.

The lack of consistency on that side of the ball was startling. The Rams would go weeks with 35-plus pass attempts and abandon the running game in the fourth quarter, while other times, they’d try to run the ball down the opponent’s throat with Gurley and Malcolm Brown.
In Week 13, they seemed to find a groove. Sean McVay turned to more two-tight end sets with Tyler Higbee and Johnny Mundt, taking some pressure off of the receivers. Cooper Kupp and Brandin Cooks played fewer snaps as a result, but the offense was more consistent.
Goff says the Rams found a “new identity” in that 34-7 win over the Cardinals, changing things for the final five weeks of the season. He says that’s how the offense was supposed to look all along, with an abundance of play action, rollouts and heavy packages.
“It’s supposed to look like how it looked today. How it looked today, how it a handful of the last weeks, if you take out Dallas. I think since we played Arizona, we kind of did find a new identity. I think ultimately, we found different ways to win games,” he said after Sunday’s season finale.
Defenses adapted to what the Rams did best, which was outside zone runs and play action. They figured out ways to counter McVay’s scheme, just as the Patriots did in the Super Bowl and the Bears did last season.
Goff acknowledged that fact, admitting teams figured out parts of the Rams’ offense.
“I think that’s the biggest thing we can take away, is that we were so specific the last two seasons and then this year, we had to find different ways to win. Teams figured some stuff out where we had to adjust,” he continued. “We did adjust and we adjusted well, just unfortunately, we were one game short, two games short, whatever you want to call it. That’s the way it goes. I think it’s a good learning experience for all of us, coaches included. I know myself, personally, like I mentioned, we’ll use this as motivation and come back next year stronger. It’s something that eats at you and you never want to – especially if you think about the fans.”
The Rams will have to adjust and adapt again in 2020 as teams gather film on McVay’s offense. It’s part of being a coach in the NFL, needing to find different ways to win each week. Los Angeles just took too long to figure it out, coming up a little bit short of the playoffs.

jap

Legend
They wouldn't have taken so long to figure things out if they didn't have to play musical chairs with the OL every week!

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
When they stopped running 11 every down and started involving their TE and giving defenses different looks, their offense came back.

mcvay was very stubborn early on.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I disagree with the “major overhaul” notion on the line. There will be some refinement, and a piece or two added, but the overhaul was in the second half of this year.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“It’s supposed to look like how it looked today. How it looked today, how it a handful of the last weeks, if you take out Dallas..."

How about we don't take out Dallas?

This what drives me nuts about McVay. He destroys Seattle with two TE sets and roll-outs, and then the very next week in Dallas, with the season on the line, McVay reverts back to 11 personnel with nary a double TE or roll-out to be seen. The (non) results were predictable.

Don't get me wrong, I love McVay but in-game adjustment is his serious flaw and the first step in any problem is admitting you need help.

Hire an OC McVay.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to carry 10 offensive linemen next season.

5 Bulldozers for our rushing game & 5 Sumo wrestlers for pass pro ...
That and Aaron Donald at FB between visits to the tent for oxygen.

Enough of this finesse BS.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did they figure out how to stop Gurley getting hit 4 yards in the backfield? From what i saw against the cards i would have to say no.

This is a major problem. It kills drives but more importantly it stops the offense dead from the get go. The rams completed a lot of 3rd and longs at the beginning of the game against the cards. They won't be doing that against better defenses. That's why the rams went nowhere against the better teams. Gurley was getting hit as soon as he secured the hand off from Goff.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

Did they figure out how to stop Gurley getting hit 4 yards in the backfield? From what i saw against the cards i would have to say no.

This is a major problem. It kills drives but more importantly it stops the offense dead from the get go. The rams completed a lot of 3rd and longs at the beginning of the game against the cards. They won't be doing that against better defenses. That's why the rams went nowhere against the better teams. Gurley was getting hit as soon as he secured the hand off from Goff.

They needed a much better center. Blythe & Allen are not the answers. If we roll with them next season, expect more of the same. Corbett may just need some TC.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last five games:

@Cardinals
Seahawks
@Cowboys
@Niners
Cardinals

3-2 record, three road games and three games against teams that finished 8-8 or better, other two games against the Cardinals, who went 1-5 in the NFC West and 4-5-1 outside of it - they were a surprisingly decent team this year.

Goff had 11 TDs and 4 INTs in these games

Offense averaged 29 points per game

If I'm being candid, I think the Cowboys and Niners were good teams and the Seahawks and Cardinals not so good - from that perspective we lost the two games against the teams I personally classify as good. BUT - I'm very encouraged by Goff finishing the season so strongly. The OL didn't allow many sacks, which makes me excited for their development next season.