Jared Goff leads the NFL in YPA.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
He will never be respected by the media. To do so would them acknowledging that they are wrong.

TexasRam

Legend
He will never be respected by the media. To do so would them acknowledging that they are wrong.

Peter Schrager talked about this very thing..

He mentions Goff is in the same company as Mahomes and Wilson but the media will not put him there.

I honestly think is has everything to do with TD numbers. He throws at the top of the league in yards and YPA, but we just run the ball around the goaline compared to other teams that struggle to run around the goaline.

If our running TD's were converted to TD passes Goff would be in the early MVP conversation.

It is what is is, but as Schrager stated, the Rams organization and true knowledgeable fans know Goff's value, and that is all that matters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well first off I think a good comp for Goff is Tom Brady. Just in the respect that they are both pocket guys with high accuracy, can spread the ball around quickly with a good grasp of the offense. Now maybe it seems like Goff is behind him and all that in development (if you listen to the media jerkoffs) but there's a lot of similarities outside of the fact that Goff has better arm talent and Brady's much more of an extrovert.

Further I think the Rams are basically "Patriots West" now. They go after the smart players, have elite guys at the scheme level and are careful in who they sign in FA to maximize supplement picks. McVay is a known teacher of situational ball too, and constantly preaches team awareness in those situations i.e. being smarter than the other team just like Belicheat has always done. He changed up his DC in large part due to what Belicheat did to him in the Super Bowl too, because he wanted that ability to vary his fronts per opponent and mix things up at that level. I know this isn't obviously related to Goff but it is in the respect that the reason Tom is considered the greatest QB ever is in large part due to the teams around him. Tom is great, granted, but again that other 10 matters.

Goff has that team around him this year on offense and guess what, oh yeah top 5 QB. Imagine that.

Lastly here's an interesting note irt the above... Tom Brady won the MVP 3 times in his career, in 2007, 2010, and 2017. In every single MVP season for him the Patriots fell short of the Super Bowl. Now it doesn't mean you can't win the MVP and the Super Bowl, that would be a crazy thing to say (but of course with that said even if you look at Mahomes he won the MVP in 2018 but the Super Bowl in 2019).

I've always been of the mind that the passing game gets you big season win totals, but the run game balance and defense become more important in the playoffs. Someday a team will win it all with just a passing game I suppose I just don't see that happening any time soon. So let Wussel Wilson take home all the personal hardware and let's see Goff take home his first Super Bowl win. Media can choke on that shit. :biggrin:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well first off I think a good comp for Goff is Tom Brady. Just in the respect that they are both pocket guys with high accuracy, can spread the ball around quickly with a good grasp of the offense. Now maybe it seems like Goff is behind him and all that in development (if you listen to the media jerkoffs) but there's a lot of similarities outside of the fact that Goff has better arm talent and Brady's much more of an extrovert.

Further I think the Rams are basically "Patriots West" now. They go after the smart players, have elite guys at the scheme level and are careful in who they sign in FA to maximize supplement picks. McVay is a known teacher of situational ball too, and constantly preaches team awareness in those situations i.e. being smarter than the other team just like Belicheat has always done. He changed up his DC in large part due to what Belicheat did to him in the Super Bowl too, because he wanted that ability to vary his fronts per opponent and mix things up at that level. I know this isn't obviously related to Goff but it is in the respect that the reason Tom is considered the greatest QB ever is in large part due to the teams around him. Tom is great, granted, but again that other 10 matters.

Goff has that team around him this year on offense and guess what, oh yeah top 5 QB. Imagine that.

Lastly here's an interesting note irt the above... Tom Brady won the MVP 3 times in his career, in 2007, 2010, and 2017. In every single MVP season for him the Patriots fell short of the Super Bowl. Now it doesn't mean you can't win the MVP and the Super Bowl, that would be a crazy thing to say (but of course with that said even if you look at Mahomes he won the MVP in 2018 but the Super Bowl in 2019).

I've always been of the mind that the passing game gets you big season win totals, but the run game balance and defense become more important in the playoffs. Someday a team will win it all with just a passing game I suppose I just don't see that happening any time soon. So let Wussel Wilson take home all the personal hardware and let's see Goff take home his first Super Bowl win. Media can choke on that shit. :biggrin:

Great post but Kurt Warner won the mvp and superbowl mvp in the 99 season when the Rams were champs.

Ram65

Legend
Goff is on fire. It is interesting that Goff leads the NLF in YPA yet the Rams aren't throwing the ball deep as much as in previous years. I think there is a stat that he has only thrown five deep passes. What Goff is doing is hitting his receivers in stride to maximize the YAC. Woods is #4 with 156 YAC and Kupp is tied for 10th with 124 YAC. Higbee Reynolds and Everett get some YAC too. I expect to see more screens to the running backs Henderson and Akers as they both can catch and go with the offensive line's timing improving. In the past, McVay would call more deep passes that many times were incomplete and put the Rams behind the chains thus stalling drives. The play-calling has been much more efficient as has Goff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Schrager watches the games. He knows who and what Goff is. The other heads preach and serve the crap, and the Red Zone generation of fans eat the BS narratives on Goff.

Truth is he's had one bad season. Those first 7 games under Fisher in his rook year. Last season was a down year yet still managed to win 9 games with no running game.

WE KNOW what he's done in '17, '18 and he's never looked better than thru three gm's in '20.

He needs to get better in some areas sure, but he's only going to get better under McV, he's a young 5th year guy, and he's been uber durable both physically and mentally.

Fuck the clones who don't watch the games.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Also...JB Long nailed it. Schrager kinda shrugged it off because he's got producers too (wink wink).

The NFL is propping up the running QB's. It's as transparent a narrative as a narrative can be. Having said that, the more successful QB's in the league right now aren't the pocket guys. Those guys are aging and the league is simply going with whats in now. Cyclical.

It's interesting to me that Goff is arguably (or clearly?) the best young pocket guy in the entire league at this point.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not after today. There goes the rosey ypa
You're absolutely right.... Goff blows unhealthy dogs in 7/11 parking lots. Bring back the good ol days of Keenum and Fish. Can't wait.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ah. Sarcasm. goff had a hall of fame quality game today
Ah. Pessimism. The greatest of qualities and why you are the life of many a party..