Jared Goff: Josh Reynolds is 'truly a fourth starter' at WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13243008-1.jpg

By: Steve Rebeiro | 3 hours ago

It comes as no surprise that the Rams don’t plan on playing their starters this preseason. It does come as a mild surprise that WR Josh Reynolds seems to be included in this group.
The third-year wideout was called upon when the Rams lost Cooper Kupp for the season midway through the 2018 season. Reynolds quickly became a reliable target for Jared Goff and made some big plays for the team down the stretch. With Kupp back in action and Robert Woods and Brandin Cooks firmly ahead of Reynolds on the depth chart, it seemed likely that Reynolds would have reverted back into a reserve role.

The Rams, however, do not seem to share this sentiment.
“I think he’s really taken a huge step from April to now, just with the way he’s been playing and the standard he holds himself to,” Goff said about the improvements he’s seen from Reynolds since last season. “When you’re in the room with those three guys that are starters, with Robert, Brandin and Cooper, you have to be at that standard and I think Josh understands that. Josh easily fills in does everything that they can do and he knows that. I have just as much faith and trust in him as I do the other three, so he’s a fourth starter for us. I know we’ve mentioned that. Truly a fourth starter and a guy that we can put in there at any position and anytime, and does a great job. Just seeing him progress over the last year has been awesome. like I said, I have so much faith in him now.”
“Fourth starter” is not a term often used to describe an NFL wide receiver, but it certainly feels apt here. Reynolds has yet to play a snap in this preseason. When the Rams hold guys out of the preseason, it’s usually players that will both have a big role and have proved they don’t need the work. Even expected starter Micah Kiser and veteran quarterback Blake Bortles were forced to suit up this preseason.
“I thought Josh Reynolds has been outstanding,” Sean McVay said after a joint-practice with the Chargers earlier this month. When he got a chance to step in last year, he became a big-time starting receiver for us. That’s kind of how we look at it. He seamlessly can play both outside positions as he continues to gain ownership of the offense.”

Based on what Goff and McVay have said about Reynolds, it sounds like there are plans to use him in this offense. The bigger question is how much will they use him? The Rams were not much for spelling starters on offense last season. Woods, Cooks, Kupp, and Todd Gurley did not come off the field much. After Kupp went down, the same was true for Reynolds. Tight ends Gerald Everett and Tyler Higbee split time, but the Rams almost always ran a three wide receiver, one running back and one tight end set with mostly the same players – 11 personnel, as it’s called.
It seems like this will change heading in 2019. The Rams offense stagnated after the bye week last year. Teams were finally able to figure out the offense a little bit. The addition of C.J. Anderson reignited the offense for the playoff run, but they were once again shut down in the Super Bowl. Expect the Rams to mix it up given the emergence of Reynolds and the injury history of Gurley and Kupp.
Reynolds is, and will likely remain, the WR4 in Los Angeles. That doesn’t mean he won’t be playing. He’s going to get his chances to shine, and if last season was any indication, he’s going to take the ball and run with it. Goff said it best: he’s the fourth starter.

While a big fan of Reynolds, I can't help from feeling he is the Rams best example of trade bait. He's likely to have many fewer snaps this season with a healthy Cooper Kupp returning, and with what appears like quality potential back-ups in Thomas, Hodge, Webster & Lloyd waiting in the wings, no telling what Snead might get back in trade ... jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Report: Cooper Kupp's agility scores are better than before ACL tear
usatsi_12880277.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 2 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams didn’t make many key additions on offense this offseason, but welcoming back Cooper Kupp to the starting lineup will be as big as any signing they could’ve made.
Kupp missed eight games last season, as well as the Rams’ playoff run, after tearing his ACL in November. It was a devastating injury for the second-year receiver and the offense as a whole, causing Jared Goff to struggle a bit.

Remarkably, Kupp has been participating in practice all offseason and has had almost no limitations in camp. If the Rams were to play a game tomorrow, he’d absolutely be out there running his normal route tree.
According to Jay Glazer of The Athletic, Kupp is even quicker and more agile than he was before tearing his ACL. Glazer wrote this about Kupp in his mailbag:
I wrote about it two or three weeks ago, it’s ridiculous. I think he’s always grinded so hard and he’s always pushed himself so much, his body finally got a chance to rest. With that rest, he was able to respond in a way where he’s faster. All his test scores, coming out of his breaks, agility, quickness, every test timed better than it was before he tore his ACL. It’s incredible.
Some players do come back stronger and faster after suffering an injury such as a torn ACL. Kupp has worked tirelessly to rehab his knee and get his body stronger, to the point where he might be in better shape now that he was this time last year.

If that’s the case, Kupp could be in for a big third season in the NFL.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
usatsi_12880277.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams didn’t make many key additions on offense this offseason, but welcoming back Cooper Kupp to the starting lineup will be as big as any signing they could’ve made.
Kupp missed eight games last season, as well as the Rams’ playoff run, after tearing his ACL in November. It was a devastating injury for the second-year receiver and the offense as a whole, causing Jared Goff to struggle a bit.

Remarkably, Kupp has been participating in practice all offseason and has had almost no limitations in camp. If the Rams were to play a game tomorrow, he’d absolutely be out there running his normal route tree.
According to Jay Glazer of The Athletic, Kupp is even quicker and more agile than he was before tearing his ACL. Glazer wrote this about Kupp in his mailbag:

Some players do come back stronger and faster after suffering an injury such as a torn ACL. Kupp has worked tirelessly to rehab his knee and get his body stronger, to the point where he might be in better shape now that he was this time last year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthNjd_jUl4

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kupp is a beast. I pray he stays healthy, because if he does he's going to tear this league up this season.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
usatsi_12880277.jpg

Wow. We've heard comments to this effect from McVay and others but this is the first time I've heard that, objectively, Kupp may actually be better than before. This seems remarkable to me for a couple of reasons.

It's actually not surprising to me just from an ACL standpoint. The ligament is just one part, although a "crucial" one, in the body mechanics. The modern ACL repairs are really good. The ligament should heal and work fine.

Instead it's that the recovery program-- months of systematic rehab and training from the ground up-- appears to have improved Kupp's overall physical reactions. This suggests an improvement that years of football training could not achieve. I would love to hear someone with expertise such as the Rams' trainer explain this further.

But best of all is that Kupp already had some of the best moves and cuts and ability to get open in tight spaces of any receiver in the league. If he's really better at all this .... watch out.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I cannot wait to see our receivers this year. I pray that our O-line smoothly transitions this year, after losing Saffold. I think the center position will be a push, at worst, but the other interior guys, plus the health of the line, will be a huge indicator of the success of the Rams offense in 2019.

If the O-line holds up? Watch out! This could be a record-breaking Ram offense, comparable to the GSOT years. I can't wait to see the ball distribution:

Cooks
Woods
Kupp
Everett
Gurley
Higbee
Henderson
Reynolds
Brown
Havenstein, on special tackle-eligible plays

a cornucopia of options!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Reynolds shouldn't be trade bait. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp have all missed games (or snaps, in Cooks' case) in the past two years. Reynolds is very good for a fourth receiver, and he has the size the others don't. Why not take advantage of it?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Reynolds shouldn't be trade bait. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp have all missed games (or snaps, in Cooks' case) in the past two years. Reynolds is very good for a fourth receiver, and he has the size the others don't. Why not take advantage of it?

Both Hodge & Jalen Green are the same size as Cooper Kupp and only 1 inch shorter than Reynolds' 6'3".

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Both Hodge & Jalen Green are the same size as Cooper Kupp and only 1 inch shorter than Reynolds' 6'3".

I was talking more of our starting receivers. And while Kupp is 6'2", he's more of a slot receiver than outside, like Reynolds.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was talking more of our starting receivers. And while Kupp is 6'2", he's more of a slot receiver than outside, like Reynolds.

I can understand all the reasoning for wanting to keep Reynolds around, but if the Rams can improve the team at a position of need elsewhere with another quality player, i'm all over it. Unless a starter suffers a serious injury, Reynolds' snap count is likely to drop considerably, and I find it quite unlikely that the Rams will be able to pay him when he becomes a free agent, making him more valuable now than as that date approaches. We are going to lose at least one quality WR following our soon to be announced cuts, surely one of them can compete for the #4/5 role. jmo.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I can understand all the reasoning for wanting to keep Reynolds around, but if the Rams can improve the team at a position of need elsewhere with another quality player, i'm all over it. Unless a starter suffers a serious injury, Reynolds' snap count is likely to drop considerably, and I find it quite unlikely that the Rams will be able to pay him when he becomes a free agent, making him more valuable now than as that date approaches. We are going to lose at least one quality WR following our soon to be announced cuts, surely one of them can compete for the #4/5 role. jmo.
Your right about losing a WR after cuts and that player being capable of being a #4 but would he be better? We need Reynolds, Kupp hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Your right about losing a WR after cuts and that player being capable of being a #4 but would he be better? We need Reynolds, Kupp hasn't been able to stay healthy.

People were shocked when we released Pharaoh Cooper, i'm sure they will be equally shocked if we were to trade Reynolds. WR is presently a big strength for our team, if trading a #4 helps to make a weaker position also a team strength, I would favor it. Is it a gamble ? Perhaps slightly, but pretty much everything is when you're trying to build a Super Bowl contender. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny I saw that Kupp report on reddit and every one of those mental giants were citing that Kupp had to be cheating and using HGH. Even the damn Cheatriots fans.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I dont see Rams trading him. He has two years left on contract. You would have to get a lot for him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People were shocked when we released Pharaoh Cooper, i'm sure they will be equally shocked if we were to trade Reynolds.
Well, there is a big difference between cutting Cooper in the middle of December and trading Reynolds in August. I don't think anyone was shocked about Pharaoh as much as disappointed in how the season went. Hurt all year and when he finally played he was terrible. Trade deadline was well past

That said, I think Reynolds is more valuable to the Rams as a 4th WR than the 5th rounder at best would get, at least for 2019 anyways

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, there is a big difference between cutting Cooper in the middle of December and trading Reynolds in August. I don't think anyone was shocked about Pharaoh as much as disappointed in how the season went. Hurt all year and when he finally played he was terrible. Trade deadline was well past

That said, I think Reynolds is more valuable to the Rams as a 4th WR than the 5th rounder at best would get, at least for 2019 anyways

I wouldn't trade him for a 5'th. He either goes to a WR needy team for a 3'rd or is traded for a player we need who has an equal standing. Giving him away isn't part of any plan, but of every potential player on our team with trade bait written all over him, Reynolds is that guy imo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He has two years left on contract. You would have to get a lot for him.

That would be the plan, no less than a 3'rd rounder or a perceived equal player at a position of need.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I am in the same camp. I think Reynolds has more value on the Rams. We saw how important he was last year stepping in for Kupp after his injury. I understand why others see the value in trading him to improve other spots on the roster, but I don't think you would get the value back that he provides. The Rams have the deepest WR corp in the league. After a decade of having no talent at WR, I am not ready to start unloading talent at that position. I know the Rams would still have a great collection of WRs if they did trade him, but I wouldn't feel good about the depth after the trade.