Jared Goff in danger of being the next quarterback bust

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Imho...nonsense. ..all offseason....and Continues through this article.

Goff is a stud...(again imo).... last year and loosing all 7 games mean nothing to me.....he will be fine this year....33-29 td range....13-10 ints...4200 passing yd range..11-5 record.. by 2018 he will be an extension of McVay and an absolute gun slinger..Gurley will lead the NFL in rushing...#1 defense. ..#1 special teams ....am I drinking cool aid.... maybe ;)... but I gerintee that I, all of us here on this board, watched more film, game snaps of JG then any of the wanna be pundits. ... they watch the same two snaps as the rest of the press then pile on with the same nonsence.... I think Goff and Wentz both are going to be fantastic qbs... although I was a little higher on Goff predraft.....remember 11-5 this year...;)

Go Rams..... ;)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If they hadn't claimed he was the more, "pro ready" of the Qb's....blown shit back in my face...then to see him struggle...

So, I read what this writer says...and it does make a lil sense....Goff is under an intense spotlight....I don't think some of you understand how LA does QB's...they either swim or sink...fast.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish people would stop saying that the Rams traded the farm to move up for Goff. That is so inaccurate. That trade is already over, and what did they lose of any significance? A first this year and a second the year before? If Goff becomes a top eight QB he will be worth three times that.

Ram65

Legend
His first seven starts were so unimaginably bad that it’s fair to wonder what the Rams’ staff was doing during those early months of his career.

The title is a bit inflammatory, but I recommend reading the article. I don't agree with everything in it, but he makes some good points. And it's a lot more fair of an article than the title makes it seem to be.

Yes the title is inflammatory. No one knows what Fisher and Co were thinking.

The main point that the writer made makes sense. At least I think his main point was that Goff has to use his head/mind to read defense.

"His transition into a pro-style system was dumbed down by many to mean learning pro verbiage and playing from under center. The reality was much more than that. He had played largely in a half-field read offense in college, with many predetermined reads and little thinking on his feet. He had not been asked to read rotating defenders, bounce through one progression if the defense moved to a closed field look, and another if it became an open-field look. Essentially, like many of the guys coming out of fun-n-gun spread systems, he was a see-it-throw-it player.

Quarterbacks pick up the nuances of the game at different paces. Goff has a long way to go. Defenses feasted on him in 2016 by disguising looks  —  showing one thing pre-snap and morphing post-snap  —  luring him into terrible decisions, usually over the middle of the field."

I will assume he is right about his college reads.I do remember him scanning the entire field at times. Goff was in way over his head last year because he didn't understand what defenses were doing. It slowed down his decision making as well as resulting in poor decisions. He was a little slower manipulating the pocket too. He was also under pressure a lot too. It was the perfect storm scenario.

Goff didn't give in though. He kept looking down field and took his lumps. The writer acknowledged that Goff made some good plays. He has spend most of his off season learning the new offense and how to read defenses. He has worked extensively with Robert Woods and others to speed up the learning curve. The writer wasn't impressed with the offensive line improvements nor the pass catchers the Rams added. At least that they wouldn't make a fast impact. We will see. I think Goff will put all the bust talk to rest this year.

nighttrain

Legend
. It was the perfect storm scenario.

Goff didn't give in though. He kept looking down field and took his lumps. The writer acknowledged that Goff made some good plays. He has spend most of his off season learning the new offense and how to read defenses. He has worked extensively with Robert Woods and others to speed up the learning curve. The writer wasn't impressed with the offensive line improvements nor the pass catchers the Rams added. At least that they wouldn't make a fast impact. We will see. I think Goff will put all the bust talk to rest this year.

Goff will be fine in his 2nd year
train

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I wish people would stop saying that the Rams traded the farm to move up for Goff. That is so inaccurate. That trade is already over, and what did they lose of any significance? A first this year and a second the year before? If Goff becomes a top eight QB he will be worth three times that.

This. The Rams can't even keep the players they already have. :banghead:

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to ask. Did ANYONE outside of the Rams fanbase actually watch Goff play last year? Mistakes were certainly made. He was a rookie out of a spread offense. But his statline and actual play were completely disjointed. He held the ball too long. He took hits he shouldn't have. But for the most part, he made good throws on time. As Giselle once said "You have to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball."

Now I've quoted a post defending Brady. Someone string me up. I need a bourbon and a shower and another bourbon to feel clean. Could Goff be a bust? Sure, anything could happen. IS he a bust? As much as any rookie QB in an offense with a TE coach for a coordinator.....wait....:sneaky:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff
4500 yards, 25 TD's, and 13 Ints......more than Wentz and what's-his-face in Dallas.
This year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"His transition into a pro-style system was dumbed down by many to mean learning pro verbiage and playing from under center. The reality was much more than that. He had played largely in a half-field read offense in college, with many predetermined reads and little thinking on his feet. He had not been asked to read rotating defenders, bounce through one progression if the defense moved to a closed field look, and another if it became an open-field look. Essentially, like many of the guys coming out of fun-n-gun spread systems, he was a see-it-throw-it player.

Quarterbacks pick up the nuances of the game at different paces. Goff has a long way to go. Defenses feasted on him in 2016 by disguising looks  —  showing one thing pre-snap and morphing post-snap  —  luring him into terrible decisions, usually over the middle of the field."

I will assume he is right about his college reads.I do remember him scanning the entire field at times.

He's incorrect about that. That's one of the things I did not agree with what he said.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The title is a bit inflammatory, but I recommend reading the article. I don't agree with everything in it, but he makes some good points. And it's a lot more fair of an article than the title makes it seem to be.

Yeah, when I saw the title I expected a Goff bashing. It really wasn't. But mentioning the bust word is ridiculous at this point. We still don't know what we have in him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, when I saw the title I expected a Goff bashing. It really wasn't. But mentioning the bust word is ridiculous at this point. We still don't know what we have in him.
And that's the whole issue for me.

The only question in my mind is... was his experience last year enough to have a permanent impact on his pro career?

Gotta figure not. Had he got pummeled for the entire year? Maybe.

But I think he can put those experiences behind him.

Plus the new coaching staff and - hopefully - much better schemes should help.

But the bottom line is... we really don't know what we have in Goff yet.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
tumblr_mofiyk7Rdm1suadn1o1_400.gif

Danger Jared Goff... Danger!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jared Goff is also in danger of embarking on a hall of fame career under McVay. Whatevs.