Jared Goff in danger of being the next quarterback bust

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Oliver Connolly
@ollieconnolly
Jared Goff’s first year in the NFL was a disaster. While fellow rookies Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz intoxicated many with their flashes of excellence, the No. 1 overall pick was, to be blunt: awful.

Goff was never built to jump into the league and have immediate success. He was a project with enticing physical tools and an excellent mental makeup, but a project nonetheless. The Rams attempted to give him a full redshirt year, but pulled the ripcord in Week 10, handing the reigns to the rookie when neither he nor the team were ready.

His first seven starts were so unimaginably bad that it’s fair to wonder what the Rams’ staff was doing during those early months of his career.

The Rams’ first season back in L.A. spun out of control. The organization fired Jeff Fisher less than a year after trading the farm to move up and grab Goff (and more than a year too late), and they slumped to a 4-12 record.

Now, Goff heads into his second year in the league with a new staff, even more pressure to perform, and whispers of the B-word already hovering over his head.

Some quarterbacks’ careers are over before they begin. They get hit, slammed, dropped and rocked. They feel the chinstrap of a defender drive through their chest more than they do the joy of celebrating a score.

David Carr is perhaps the most infamous example. He was a talented thrower and not so talented decision-maker. The expansion Houston Texans hung him out to dry behind an offensive line that could be politely described as garbage. Carr got punished. He took big shot after big shot and developed the quarterback yips: dropping his eye line and staring down at the rush. His career was over.

There’s some Carr within Goff. His rookie campaign bordered on offensive. It was far from being all his fault, though. The Rams threw him out there when he wasn’t ready, after all other avenues were exhausted. They neatly crafted the least imaginable offense in the league and refused to play to Goff’s strengths — like building in some basic RPO elements. It was a recipe for disaster.

Goff averaged 5.3 yards per attempt and was bad enough to make folks clamor for Case Keenum.

Even when the process isn’t the fault of the player, the outcome can still be the same. Rookie seasons shell shock some. They make others. Some players rise to the challenge, adapting and learning from their errors —remember when Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions in his rookie year? Others are doomed to repeat their mistakes over and over again, developing bad habits when the rookie year survival instincts kick in.

When I ran through Goff’s 2016 tape, one recurring thought kept jumping into my mind: This isn’t the guy I watched at Cal.

Sure, some of the issues were the same: His accuracy fluctuated, throws were out a beat too late and there were some baffling decisions. But other issues were fresh.

In college, Goff was as advanced as they come at manipulating the pocket. He played with light feet, effortlessly dancing around to avoid the heavy plodders. The pass rush played to his beat; no matter where the pressure came from, he was intelligent enough, and physically gifted enough, to avoid it. He would contort his body as he moved and drive throws from unnatural platforms.

https://www.all22.com/los-angeles-rams/jared-goff-danger-next-big-quarterback-bust

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Did he even watch all of Goff's passes last year? I did. In my opinion, he's not even close to a failed #1 pick. He did some impressive things and I think he'll continue to get better, especially with McVay.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
F this dude. Go over to turfshowtimes with the rest of the wannabe espn "writers".

I love this site because it's full of actual Ram fans--not pot stirrers like this asshat.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sorry, but if a "writer" desires any credibility, calling someone a bust after 7 NFL starts under a failed regime, is an absolute @sshate loser. NOTHING he says matters whatsoever.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The title is a bit inflammatory, but I recommend reading the article. I don't agree with everything in it, but he makes some good points. And it's a lot more fair of an article than the title makes it seem to be.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's quite impressive the amount of bs one can pull out of one's butt.

Especially when they are not a bull!

Seriously though, all these "analysis" articles on Goff this preseason have missed the elephant that used to be in the room, the one with bright color paint and neon flashing all over it ... and that is the epically, historically, unbelievably bad coaching he had here last year. Starting with a head coach who was very QB unfriendly, so much so that didn't know a modern NFL offense from a capital offense, Goff was behind the eight ball when he walked into camp. Had Bradford not blew out his knee twice, the Rams probably would have been looking for a new QB anyway because Sam too was a victim of Fisher's offensive coaching malpractice.

Couple that with an offensive coordinator who, upon inheriting the last-rated offense in the NFL, actually managed to make it worse than the previous year. One who thought the QB's job was simply to manage the game. One whose play design badly telegraphed their intent, one who repeatedly called plays with all routes short of the sticks on 3rd down.

Throw in a QB "coach" that has never developed a young QB before ... and offensive line that couldn't block (due half to talent issues, and half to horrible coaching including a blocking scheme that looks like it was thought out by a drunk on the back of a wet cocktail napkin at 2 am) ... and a stable of receivers that far too often ran the wrong routes, ran the right routes poorly, or when they did manage to run the routes correctly, too often dropped the ball.

These "analysts", whose brains are as numb as their nuts, would have written the same crap about Troy Aikman after his rookie season. After all, he was 0-11, threw two INT's for every TD he threw, and completed only 53% of his passes. By their projections, he too should have been a bust, instead he became a 3-time Super Bowl winner and HOFer.

It never seems to occur to these guys that since Jared's rookie season completed that:

1) the Rams hired a HC who was the same guy who turned a 4th round afterthought like Kirk Cousins into a high quality NFL starter;
2) Hired a very QB-friendly offensive staff
3) Did a major overhaul with the OL
4) Did a significant makeover of the WR corps
5) In conjunction with 1) established a new culture.

No, instead of looking at those things, those guys simply look at the results from last seasons, ignoring the circumstances, and write articles that basically say "everything this season will be just like everything was last season" ... despite the fact that there are teams and player that rise or fall dramatically every season.

Geezus t!ts I wonder how much these guys get paid ... if it's more than me, then I obviously picked the wrong career.

rdw

Pro Bowler
v3lnapi.gif

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Dear NFL media writers and bloggers,

I'm sorry that some of you have wasted your precious time trying to project his future based on what your eyes witnessed in the final 7 seven games of the 2016 season.

I don't expect you to understand this short letter. Why? because....

Hoodie-Royal%20Blue1726.jpg

Ramzheart

Rookie
Oliver Connolly
@ollieconnolly
Jared Goff’s first year in the NFL was a disaster. While fellow rookies Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz intoxicated many with their flashes of excellence, the No. 1 overall pick was, to be blunt: awful.

Goff was never built to jump into the league and have immediate success. He was a project with enticing physical tools and an excellent mental makeup, but a project nonetheless. The Rams attempted to give him a full redshirt year, but pulled the ripcord in Week 10, handing the reigns to the rookie when neither he nor the team were ready.

His first seven starts were so unimaginably bad that it’s fair to wonder what the Rams’ staff was doing during those early months of his career.

The Rams’ first season back in L.A. spun out of control. The organization fired Jeff Fisher less than a year after trading the farm to move up and grab Goff (and more than a year too late), and they slumped to a 4-12 record.

Now, Goff heads into his second year in the league with a new staff, even more pressure to perform, and whispers of the B-word already hovering over his head.

Some quarterbacks’ careers are over before they begin. They get hit, slammed, dropped and rocked. They feel the chinstrap of a defender drive through their chest more than they do the joy of celebrating a score.

David Carr is perhaps the most infamous example. He was a talented thrower and not so talented decision-maker. The expansion Houston Texans hung him out to dry behind an offensive line that could be politely described as garbage. Carr got punished. He took big shot after big shot and developed the quarterback yips: dropping his eye line and staring down at the rush. His career was over.

There’s some Carr within Goff. His rookie campaign bordered on offensive. It was far from being all his fault, though. The Rams threw him out there when he wasn’t ready, after all other avenues were exhausted. They neatly crafted the least imaginable offense in the league and refused to play to Goff’s strengths — like building in some basic RPO elements. It was a recipe for disaster.

Goff averaged 5.3 yards per attempt and was bad enough to make folks clamor for Case Keenum.

Even when the process isn’t the fault of the player, the outcome can still be the same. Rookie seasons shell shock some. They make others. Some players rise to the challenge, adapting and learning from their errors —remember when Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions in his rookie year? Others are doomed to repeat their mistakes over and over again, developing bad habits when the rookie year survival instincts kick in.

When I ran through Goff’s 2016 tape, one recurring thought kept jumping into my mind: This isn’t the guy I watched at Cal.

Sure, some of the issues were the same: His accuracy fluctuated, throws were out a beat too late and there were some baffling decisions. But other issues were fresh.

In college, Goff was as advanced as they come at manipulating the pocket. He played with light feet, effortlessly dancing around to avoid the heavy plodders. The pass rush played to his beat; no matter where the pressure came from, he was intelligent enough, and physically gifted enough, to avoid it. He would contort his body as he moved and drive throws from unnatural platforms.

https://www.all22.com/los-angeles-rams/jared-goff-danger-next-big-quarterback-bust[/QUO

My money's on the kid, cause you know what you cant evaluate and analyze?!

His "HEART"

Lets go Jared! Stick their awful, bust **** where the sun doesnt shine!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Snead-Has-High-Expectations-for-Goff-Heading-into-Year-Two/6ddfe040-9caa-4625-a67d-4f5bc82c13b1

Snead Has High Expectations for Goff Heading into Year Two

What are realistic expectations for Jared Goff in Year 2? Will Jared Goff improve? Is Jared Goff the answer at QB for the Rams?

If you have visited any sports media website in the last few months, chances are that you have read a variation of one of these headlines. Throughout the offseason, much of the attention has surrounded the development of the Rams’ young quarterback who returned to training camp this week, kicking off his second year in the NFL.

General Manager Les Snead was met with those same questions on Thursday, ahead of Saturday’s first official training camp practice.

“Right now, there are 32 quarterbacks penciled in at starter,” Snead said. “He is the only one that is 22 years old. So I do think the experience he got last year coming in with a new offense, you get better with experience, so you expect progress.”

Goff completed just 112 passes for 1,089 yards and five touchdowns in his rookie season in Los Angeles.

But the Rams made important changes throughout the offseason to surround Goff with a strong offensive line, signing veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth to protect his blindside. The staff also made a point to bring in new skill players and offensive weapons for Goff, including wide receivers Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

“We did make some moves,” Snead said, “some where you let players go, some where you bring them in. I do love the veteran presence of an Andrew Whitworth, even a Robert Woods, [who] is a younger guy. We still have a young team, but bringing in some guys that have been there and done that in the locker room helps.”

Snead went on to discuss Goff’s steady improvement over the offseason, translating his hard work in the classroom, studying the playbook, into better action on the field.

“He definitely didn’t spend time trying to get better at golf if you look at the [American Century Celebrity Golf Championship] Tahoe scores,” Snead said with a laugh. “He has spent a lot of time trying to improve his trade in football. I thought throughout the course of the offseason program he was kind of just getting comfortable with some of the core things that we want to embody as an offense,” he continued, “and some of the things that will shape and establish our identity.”

While the next three weeks here at UC Irvine will give Goff a chance to answer many of the questions surrounding his development himself, Snead made a strong point of looking at the quarterback’s improvement not as an immediate goal, but as a continuous journey.

“Hey, he could have stayed another year in college and he didn’t,” Snead said. “He is still young, so when we made the decision with Jared, we knew it wasn’t necessarily a short-term fix — it was going to be a long-term decision for the franchise. I think he’s showing really encouraging things, it’s just about doing it consistently down-in and down-out.”

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The title is a bit inflammatory, but I recommend reading the article. I don't agree with everything in it, but he makes some good points. And it's a lot more fair of an article than the title makes it seem to be.

Like what ? You of all posters.

His points are pointless if you think about it now .

Yes the Carr thing happened. I don't think did as much as he says.

Goff was still looking downfield , but yes he did get happy feet.

The guy in college ? One word UTAH !!

Like Les Snead said he is only 22 years old. Then you think about his hands. My biggest concern is his hand strength. First preseason snap he fumbles. All camp he could not take a snap . He never took snaps in college. So yes he does not look the same at all from his college days.

What about Todd Gurley the best back in 2015 ?? 2016 he disappeared.

Greg Robinson was the bust , but Snead drafts on potential.The 2 toughest position in the NFL to learn & The Rams draft 20-21 year olds coming out early.

Yes Peyton,Carr,& Aikman were QB's that got the snot beat out of them.
- The Rams made out because of it. The Rams got Marshall Faulk for a second round pick.

The thing most Ram fans don't realize is if The Rams don't make that trade they are not going to get (draft)Torrey Holt.

The guy on to talk about Jared Goff as an athlete.Henshowed everything he showed in college, but not on a consecutive basis. He got in & out of the huddle always. He showed leadership. He got his butt caught by Sherman, which was a valuable lesson to learn. It shows the speed of The NFL though.

Goff had so many players drop balls as well . He was making the right reads , & going through his progressions.At the end of the season he told everybody to remember this feeling , because it is not going to happen again.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Goff will be fine. But his young age and slight frame made me think Fisher was going to draft Carson Wentz. The problem with drafting a young guy is that it might take him longer to "grow into the position", and with today's 4 and 5-year contracts, teams can't afford to wait 2-3 years for guys to develop.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Forget the article. I didn't read it. The thread title is what I fear coming true. No matter the reasons.......if it becomes reality.......what a nightmare. I sure hope JG succeeds as the Rams QB and as soon as possible.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We did make some moves,” Snead said, “some where you let players go, some where you bring them in.

Damn he just slapped down a couple of players. Good for him!

I think Goff will be fine. But his young age and slight frame made me think Fisher was going to draft Carson Wentz.

I think they made the right call, but I agree Goff needs to do some squats LOL, by itself that'll improve his deeper passes.

I think Goff has upside miles beyond what Wentz has. I think Wentz will get a little better but his throwing motion and penchant to get out of the pocket will limit his success. After a handful of game films DC's had enough to go on to make him look like a rookie. His YPA was 6.2 last year and his Yards per Completion was 10.......... and those two things will hold an offense back.

In this NFL it pays to be a quick release pocket passer, it give you more opportunity.