Jared Goff & his new Rams teammates will be getting their bond together at OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jared Goff and his new Rams teammates will be getting their bond together at OTAs

By Gary Klein

[www.latimes.com]

He came onto their radar as a possible teammate two weeks before the NFL draft.

Some might have seen Jared Goff when he played in college at California, others not until he walked onto a Chicago stage after he was announced as the No. 1 overall pick.

At the team’s temporary training base in Oxnard, many Rams veterans have exchanged greetings with the young quarterback. Most caught glimpses of him working on the field, usually with other rookies.

On Tuesday, Goff gets to show the entire roster what all the fuss has been about.

After five weeks of workouts mainly conducted by position group, the Rams will come together to begin organized team activities, known as OTAs. Coach Jeff Fisher and his staff will oversee six noncontact practices, which are closed to the public. Media will have access to four of the workouts. A mini-camp also is tentatively scheduled, though Fisher traditionally eschews it.

Running back Todd Gurley, last season’s NFL offensive rookie of the year, defensive lineman Aaron Donald, the 2014 defensive rookie of the year, and punter Johnny Hekker were Pro Bowl selections last season.

Goff has said he intends to keep his head down, work hard and show teammates through his actions that he can be a leader.

“Just kind of stay low and gain their respect,” he said.

His new teammates said they anticipated Goff would help a team that is among the youngest in the league.

The Rams finished with a record of 7-9 last season and ranked last in the NFL in passing offense. They have not had a winning season since 2003 and have not made the playoffs since 2004.

They traded to the top of the draft and selected Goff to change that.

Many Rams players anticipate rapid development.

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour >>
“Hopefully,” receiver Tavon Austin said, “he can get in and make his mark.”

Goff began developing a rapport with first-year players during the Rams’ rookie orientation and mini-camp early in the month.

Now he will try to do the same with veterans.

Asked about Goff, left tackle Greg Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2014 draft, recalled his first OTAs experience.

“His head is probably spinning trying to get the playbook down pat,” Robinson said. “No. 1. That’s a lot of pressure. . . . He’s the man, so I can just imagine what he’s going through.”

After the free-agent departures of cornerback Janoris Jenkins and safety Rodney McLeod, cornerback Trumaine Johnson is now the most experienced veteran in the secondary. He said he was ready to lead the unit and looked forward to working against Goff.

“I’m excited for him,” Johnson said. “He’s going to go out there and make plays — and he’s going to make mistakes. That’s what a rookie quarterback does.

“But we drafted him for a reason, to come in here and win games. And I feel like we can win games with him.”

Defensive end William Hayes said he was eager to be on the field with all of his teammates, including Goff. The Rams gave up multiple draft picks this year and next to select a player Fisher has called a “franchise quarterback.”

“They thought highly of him and they got him,” Hayes said, “and we’re happy he’s here.”

The Rams’ other quarterbacks are Case Keenum, Nick Foles and Sean Mannion.

Keenum was the presumptive starter going into off-season workouts. He has said that he would continue to compete for the job and also assist Goff and other quarterbacks.

OTAs, Keenum said, provide coaches and players the opportunity to evaluate new and returning players.

“By the end, you kind of have a chance to see maybe who’s got a shot to help us out,” he said. “Through training camp you always get some surprises too.”

Goff is one of six rookie draftees on the roster. The others are receivers Pharoh Cooper and Michael Thomas, tight ends Tyler Higbee and Temarrick Hemingway and linebacker Josh Forrest. There also are more than a dozen undrafted free agents.

Cornerback Coty Sensabaugh and defensive linemen Quinton Coples and Dominique Easley are veteran free-agent additions to a defense that now features Alec Ogletree at middle linebacker.

The participation status of two players involved in off-the-field incidents remains uncertain.

Running back Tre Mason was arrested in Florida in March and faces misdemeanor drug and driving-related charges in Florida. He has entered a plea of not guilty. Safety T.J. McDonald was arrested this month in Woodland Hills on suspicion of driving under the influence of a substance other than alcohol. A court date is scheduled for Friday.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again beat writer Gary Klein setting the table nicely.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
goffplay3.0.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The others are receivers Pharoh Cooper

He's a confident sob...I like that..
https://ramblinfan.com/2016/05/29/can-los-angeles-rams-wr-pharaoh-cooper-be-the-next-tavon-austin/
In the video above, Cooper’s speed blew right past everyday. Screens, slants, deep passes, Cooper could do it all. Just watching that highlight reel of Cooper, made me realize the dangerous combination of both himself and Austin. ESPN’s Nick Wagoner got the chance to talk to Cooper about the opportunity to play along side Austin, his response.

“I mean, if we were to both come in the starting lineup, that’d be great,” Cooper said. I’m not going to go in there and say I should be starting right away. I am going to have to prove to the coaches that I’m worthy and that I’m going to work hard. That’s the main thing I’m going to do — I’m going to work hard. If we are both on the field at the same time, it could be dangerous.”
Without a doubt, having both Tavon Austin and Pharaoh Cooper on the field will be dangerous. Could the Los Angeles Rams be looking at the next Austin? Only time will tell.
I think I love that.....

Asked about Goff, left tackle Greg Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2014 draft, recalled his first OTAs experience.

“His head is probably spinning trying to get the playbook down pat,” Robinson said.
Nothing like yours Greg....nothing like that at all.

“I’m excited for him,” Johnson said. “He’s going to go out there and make plays — and he’s going to make mistakes. That’s what a rookie quarterback does.

“But we drafted him for a reason, to come in here and win games. And I feel like we can win games with him.”
Tru is all in...
“They thought highly of him and they got him,” Hayes said, “and we’re happy he’s here.”
Hayes is all in...

If the team is all in for Goff, how must that make...

The Rams’ other quarterbacks are Case Keenum, Nick Foles and Sean Mannion.
Feel?????

Last edited: