Jared Goff appreciation thread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I agree with Mahomes, Rogers and.....*pukes in mouth*..... Wilson.... But no way I take Watson over Goff. He's a tier below and always has been IMO.

To each their own. Deshaun really won me over last year when he threw that TD after being superkicked in the eyeball. He saved BOB as much as he could.

Imagine if he had the support structure from the organization instead of the head jackass.

jacktheripper85

Starter
The other thing that never gets mentioned is that Goff is damn clutch. From the Super Bowl run to some games last year he’s always stepped up and made some clutch throws in crunch time. A missed FG last year and the D blowing some games late cost us a playoff spot.

Then you look at this year. I’m not sure but I think Goff has the best 4th Q numbers of any QB in the NFL. In both losses he performed when he had to. Against Buffalo he led us all the way back to give us the lead only to have the defense blow it and against the Niners he made a perfect throw that Kupp drops In the end zone-would have shifted the entire momentum of the game.

Goff may have his flaws and not show that “fire” that people want but I don’t recall many instances when we’ve needed a big 4th quarter drive in a close game where he’s failed to deliver.

And to finish for all those clamoring that they would trade Goff for Mahomes-fuck Mahomes. Goff went toe to toe with him on Primetime and beat his ass. Goff is a lot more competitive than people give him credit for.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I must be the only guy who sees that his release speed has slowed fairly significantly in the last 2 seasons compared to '17 and '18 season. It's possible i'm seeing ghosts, but i don't think so.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Almost every single pass we throw is off play action, like literally 95%. So obviously hes going to lead in completions, yards and 20+ yard passes (which most of the time comes from YAC). What would be more impressive is seeing these numbers on non play action throws.

Im tough on Goff because hes been dominant in the past, but has been pretty inconsistent for a while. Parts of his game have definitely improved like pocket movement and his fumbling (his fumble last game was bs and woulda been overturned if challenged). But his accuracy at times and his ability to read zone defenses still concern me. We need to hit on more of those deep throws, he missed two TDs last game in the first half. But he bounced back great and took control of the game with his play in the 2nd half, and that's whats important.

But all the Goff over "everybody" talk is ridiculous and saying hes better than Mahomes is just laughable and disrespectful to greatness. Goff is better than a lot of starting QBs, and when he's playing at his absolute peak there's not many better. But IMO we haven't seen that Goff since 2018.

TexasRam

Legend
Almost every single pass we throw is off play action, like literally 95%. So obviously hes going to lead in completions, yards and 20+ yard passes (which most of the time comes from YAC). What would be more impressive is seeing these numbers on non play action throws.

Im tough on Goff because hes been dominant in the past, but has been pretty inconsistent for a while. Parts of his game have definitely improved like pocket movement and his fumbling (his fumble last game was bs and woulda been overturned if challenged). But his accuracy at times and his ability to read zone defenses still concern me. We need to hit on more of those deep throws, he missed two TDs last game in the first half. But he bounced back great and took control of the game with his play in the 2nd half, and that's whats important.

But all the Goff over "everybody" talk is ridiculous and saying hes better than Mahomes is just laughable and disrespectful to greatness. Goff is better than a lot of starting QBs, and when he's playing at his absolute peak there's not many better. But IMO we haven't seen that Goff since 2018.

My personal opinion is Goff is a better pure passer that is limited by a less mature scheme and lesser surrounding talent.

Mahomes plays in a mature scheme with a veteran signal caller that has been around for decades leading top offenses. Mahomes stepped into an offense that had Career bust Alex Smith putting on the highest passer rating in the NFL. Mahomes also has the better talent. Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelsey are perennial pro bowlers that require double teams constantly.

Mahomes is a tremendous scrambler and deep thrower. Goff is a better pure passer within play design.

Goff also plays with Olineman that have serious pass deficiencies in Blythe, Havenstein and previously Sullivan. Mahomes now has for the first time in his career a banged up Oline and his play has declined. I watch every week since my wife is a Chiefs fan and Mahomes has not exactly looked great. This with Perennial Pro Bowlers to throw to.

Let’s see how it looks after two decades.

55-51.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I must be the only guy who sees that his release speed has slowed fairly significantly in the last 2 seasons compared to '17 and '18 season. It's possible i'm seeing ghosts, but i don't think so.

I see that too. But I chalk it up to him reading the coverage and going through the growing pains of being a legit QB.
In '17 and 18 he was hitting guys schemed open on his primary read and that kind of anticipation allows for no thinking and faster mechanics.
Lots of the credit McVay got or crap Goff took for having "McVay in his ear" is really about that time frame.
Once defenses started figuring out McVays 11 personnel and Goff had to take a bigger grasp of responsibility, we began seeing it slow down his delivery and also leads to some occasional inaccuracy issues but I kinda think his release will get faster again when his comfort level gets back up to where it was.
I also believe Goff was receiving some phenomenally good QB coaching in '17 and '18.

MachS

Hall of Fame
My personal opinion is Goff is a better pure passer that is limited by a less mature scheme and lesser surrounding talent.

Mahomes plays in a mature scheme with a veteran signal caller that has been around for decades leading top offenses. Mahomes stepped into an offense that had Career bust Alex Smith putting on the highest passer rating in the NFL. Mahomes also has the better talent. Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelsey are perennial pro bowlers that require double teams constantly.

Mahomes is a tremendous scrambler and deep thrower. Goff is a better pure passer within play design.

Goff also plays with Olineman that have serious pass deficiencies in Blythe, Havenstein and previously Sullivan. Mahomes now has for the first time in his career a banged up Oline and his play has declined. I watch every week since my wife is a Chiefs fan and Mahomes has not exactly looked great. This with Perennial Pro Bowlers to throw to.

Let’s see how it looks after two decades.

55-51.

We all like Goff but come on man. Being a Rams fan doesn't mean we have to be delusional when it comes to our players. That's not what being a fan is. Call it like it is with good or bad play. Mahomes has a regular season MVP. He had a huge comeback win in the superbowl and won superbowl MVP. That was his first 2 years starting in the NFL. Our QB played the worst game of his career in the biggest moment of his life.

Mahomes in the playoffs has 13TDs/2 ints. So far this year he has 16TDs/1 int through 7 weeks. 85qbr

Its comical to even make the argument for Goff and like I said it's disrespectful to the greatness Mahomes has shown so far. Just stop please and let's discuss how Goff can improve.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had a huge comeback win in the superbowl and won superbowl MVP. That was his first 2 years starting in the NFL. Our QB played the worst game of his career in the biggest moment of his life.

He only had the comeback win because Jimmy g isn't a good qb. Any half decent qb would have closed down that game after they got the 10 point lead late in the 4th qtr.

And goff was under the pump the whole game. Did you watch the game? Qbs under pressure don't play their best. And after all that he still threw a perfect pass to tie the game but a blatant dpi wasn't called. Next snap he felt the pressure to make something happen, game over.

I hate it when people say he had the worst game of his life. He hit the wr in endzone twice in the game and both passes were dropped.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hate it when people say he had the worst game of his life. He hit the wr in endzone twice in the game and both passes were dropped.
Yep, this times a thousand.

If those passes are caught, everything about the narrative changes.

If those balls are caught, Goff would have also won the SB in his second full season (the fisher games shouldn't count)

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt

That's a function of having a strong run game and not being behind the sticks. The air yards leaders are always on struggling teams--teams with either a bad defence thats needs to win shootouts or teams with weak running games. Last season that was us and this season it's Matt Ryan, Wilson, Tom Brady, Joe Burrow. Brady, for example, is an excellent decision maker but in no way does he have a bigger arm than Goff.

YAC can be an indication of a QB with serious flaws (#1 right now is Jimmy Garoppolo) but it can also be an indication of a QB with good ball placement that is throwing away from pressure (Mahomes, Rodgers, Goff).